Mother shamed for sending her child to school with oreos

Options

Replies

• carlaunderconstruction
    carlaunderconstruction Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm so amazed with how many people are defending processed sugar in kids lunches. I work in a private school in China, where the students are fed food prepared by the school. There is no added sugar! When we have special events where the students get sugar there is a drastic change in behaviour. Plus a lot of students almost never have sugar, so they have been physically sick (throwing up) after having something like a small piece of birthday cake, or two small pieces of chocolate. Of course I understand the need to teach kids self regulation, and moderation, but honestly I don't want to teach 25, 5 year old's that ate oreos as part of their lunch. Save the oreos for after school!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

This is exactly what is happening as other cultures get introduced to Western foods.

are exposed to an overabundance of food.

I fixed it for you. You're welcome.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I don't think any food should be demonised but that we should teach our children which foods are better for us and which we should have in moderation. My daughter came home with a letter the other day that said their new topic was 'Why we can't eat chocolate for breakfast' and I wasn't best pleased. Theres seriously no reason that she can't have chocolate for her breakfast every now and again as long as its part of an overall balanced diet.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Wow, I'm so amazed with how many people are defending processed sugar in kids lunches. I work in a private school in China, where the students are fed food prepared by the school. There is no added sugar! When we have special events where the students get sugar there is a drastic change in behaviour. Plus a lot of students almost never have sugar, so they have been physically sick (throwing up) after having something like a small piece of birthday cake, or two small pieces of chocolate. Of course I understand the need to teach kids self regulation, and moderation, but honestly I don't want to teach 25, 5 year old's that ate oreos as part of their lunch. Save the oreos for after school!

And I'm amazed how many people have made the choice to over consume food in their lives and not want to tell everyone else the stuff they eat is junk. Would you like it if you were eating something at lunch that your boss didn't think was the right choice and they took it from you and threw it away?

If my boss is right, then yeah.
    What would make your boss right?
    You're okay with someone taking something you paid for and throwing it away?

Would you be okay with someone not agreeing with an SUV you might drive and taking it and dropping it off at the junk yard because they don't feel it's good for the environment?

Would you be okay with someone taking the Nkke running sneakers of your feet because they don't agree with their business practices?

Would you be okay with someone taking your diamond ring or earing from you because they might be from Sierra Leon?

Well, in nutrition, there is no doubt in my mind what is right and wrong based on literature and patterns over very long lengths of time. So because of the certainty, I'd be pretty sure if my boss's actions regarding food were right or wrong.

Knowing that, if my boss did what's right and took those oreos out of my hands, I'll be honest and say, thanks you're the man. This is the kind of company I want to work for. One that looks out for my best interests. One that doesn't bury their heads in the sand. One that is brutally forthcoming in it's intentions. That's not only a boss, but something I would expect from a true friend.

With regards to the rest of your examples, I don't have certainty on my side. I don't know enough about cars/SUVs to know if one is an outlier to justify his actions. Same with running shoe manufacturing. And even diamonds that claim to be "clean"... they are hard to trace. Many middle men in that business from my N=1 experience. So I wouldn't be so sure about that either.

So you want to be baby sat? You want someone to take those dastardly oreos away from you so someone else can decide what your best interests are. In moderation, for a child a treat is a treat. If you teach your child a treat is a treat and not an all consuming thing then they grow up to learn what moderation is. They grow up learning what a treat is. No need to bury your head in the sand, we should be educating our children instead of depriving them and vilifying foods.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Boogage wrote: »
    I don't think any food should be demonised but that we should teach our children which foods are better for us and which we should have in moderation. My daughter came home with a letter the other day that said their new topic was 'Why we can't eat chocolate for breakfast' and I wasn't best pleased. Theres seriously no reason that she can't have chocolate for her breakfast every now and again as long as its part of an overall balanced diet.

Cheers! Sometimes you just need cake for breakfast. And that's ok.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

And I'm amazed how many people have made the choice to over consume food in their lives and not want to tell everyone else the stuff they eat is junk. Would you like it if you were eating something at lunch that your boss didn't think was the right choice and they took it from you and threw it away?

Would you be okay with someone not agreeing with an SUV you might drive and taking it and dropping it off at the junk yard because they don't feel it's good for the environment?

Would you be okay with someone taking the Nkke running sneakers of your feet because they don't agree with their business practices?

Would you be okay with someone taking your diamond ring or earing from you because they might be from Sierra Leon?

Well, in nutrition, there is no doubt in my mind what is right and wrong based on literature and patterns over very long lengths of time, along with countless accounts of patient outcomes. So because of the certainty, I'd be pretty sure if my boss's actions regarding food were right or wrong.

Knowing that, if my boss did what's right and took those oreos out of my hands, I'll be honest and say, thanks you're the man. This is the kind of company I want to work for. One that looks out for my best interests. One that doesn't bury their heads in the sand. One that is brutally forthcoming in it's intentions. That's not only a boss, but something I would expect from a true friend.

The other thing is that employees who eat right are more productive. So if I was a boss, I would do my best to discriminate prior to hiring. And if I'm an employee, I want those beside me to be at their best.

With regards to the rest of your examples, I don't have certainty on my side. I don't know enough about cars/SUVs to know if one is an outlier to justify his actions. Same with running shoe manufacturing. And even diamonds that claim to be "clean"... they are hard to trace. Many middle men in that business from my N=1 experience. So I wouldn't be so sure about that either.

What certainty and extensive knowledge on nutrition do you have that says a snack pack or Oreos is something that should be ripped from your hands and disposed of by someone else to save you from destroying your life.

Your comment is extremely disturbing on so many different levels.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »

Well, in nutrition, there is no doubt in my mind what is right and wrong based on literature and patterns over very long lengths of time. So because of the certainty, I'd be pretty sure if my boss's actions regarding food were right or wrong.

So you want to be baby sat? You want someone to take those dastardly oreos away from you so someone else can decide what your best interests are. In moderation, for a child a treat is a treat. If you teach your child a treat is a treat and not an all consuming thing then they grow up to learn what moderation is. They grow up learning what a treat is. No need to bury your head in the sand, we should be educating our children instead of depriving them and vilifying foods.

We have different views on parenting I guess.

I'll agree to that. I believe we aren't educating our children on what nutrition is overall.We need to teach them what calories, fat, protein, fiber, sugar etc is and how it ties into an overall balanced diet. We should educate them on what a portion actually is. This needs to be done in the home.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Frick
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Maybe someone with a legal background can clear up how the in loco parentis applies here. Generally, schools have the right to "take the place of the parent" on school property. The school has rights and responsibilities to children. Parents may be sacrificing some control over lunch contents, and they are also getting other adults to teach, supervise, and provide care for a decent chunk of the day. I'm in favor of schools being able to set policies that help them more easily manage 20 or 30 kids all grouped together all day. If people were forced to send their children to particular schools, I'd have a different mindset. But if you are willingly choosing to have someone else care for your child for some time, you don't get to make the rules in that time. You can choose a different option with different rules.

It's not really clear that this child care program is part of the public school system, just that it's housed in the same building. So the private establishment can set their own rules regardless of the public school system's policies. Whether or not they ever did, I don't know. But it's still not media worthy. Mom got a note, kid got a different snack and got her oreos back to eat at home, and now mom knows and can decide what she wants to do from now on.

I am ultra confused by the if potatoes, then bread rule. The only thing I've got is that parents can't send potato chips or tater tots as the main portion.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Well, in nutrition, there is no doubt in my mind what is right and wrong based on literature and patterns over very long lengths of time, along with countless accounts of patient outcomes. So because of the certainty, I'd be pretty sure if my boss's actions regarding food were right or wrong.

The other thing is that employees who eat right are more productive. So if I was a boss, I would do my best to discriminate prior to hiring. And if I'm an employee, I want those beside me to be at their best.

So, in other words, your zealotry has a very narrow focus.

Gotcha.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »

We have different views on parenting I guess.

Moving goalposts. You were asked about your boss taking something away from you and you said you'd welcome it.

I don't know about you, but I didn't spend all this time becoming an adult just for other people to treat me like a child.

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

What certainty and extensive knowledge on nutrition do you have that says a snack pack or Oreos is something that should be ripped from your hands and disposed of by someone else to save you from destroying your life.

Your comment is extremely disturbing on so many different levels.

Certainty and extensive knowledge that you don't have:)

Sorry couldn't resist. C'mon u set urself up for that. I'm just playing.

Ya, I understand how my comment disturbs you. Because your comment (and those of many others) disturbs me. But that's what happens when people have opposite viewpoints. Mutual disturbance.

Share this knowledge with others

The fact that you think others should have control over how you live your life, or that you think you know what is best for others and they should be stopped from harming themselves by eating a couple cookies, is what I find disturbing.

What comment of mine disturbed you?

Your right to not eat those items is the same right another has to eat them or give them to their children. Just like no other person should be allowed to force you to eat something you object to, another should not be forced to not eat something they have chosen.

It's a very simple concept.

Anyone with "advanced" knowledge on nutrition must know that treats can be a part of a perfectly balanced diet. If that is not apparent then your knowledge I can only assume is based on a limited biased view of how nutrition works and therefore holds limited value.