bye bye sugar and flour

Options

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    77 with sugar and flour.

Self control is like a muscle - the more you use it, the stronger it gets.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

just show us all up, why dont ya ;) LOLOLOLOL

It's hard being this fabulous ;)
  • boopsiegrl
    boopsiegrl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Again I am doing it for Health reason, I am a brittle diabetic and it soars high with the slightest carb. I take massive and I mean massive amounts of insulin several times a day and it can still go up quickly. So to live longer and be healthy I think I need to try to make this a way of life, if I want a life. Really all the discouragement and I needed someone to say it can and has been done...Thanks anyway
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    77 with sugar and flour.

Self control is like a muscle - the more you use it, the stronger it gets.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

just show us all up, why dont ya ;) LOLOLOLOL

It's hard being this fabulous ;)

but you do it so well :P
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    boopsiegrl wrote: »
    I have decided to give up flour and sugar foods I know that also will mean I am giving up processed food since it will be one of the culprits...Anyone out there done this and what has your weight loss success been?

@boopsiegrl
    I'm giving them up too - totally understand the problem of these things being moreish. Have just recently started so I haven't done a weigh-in yet (I only do one every 4-6 weeks) but if you post your question in the MFP low carb group you will get more encouraging answers/advice than you'll get here.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention in your previous posts that you were diabetic. You made seem like it was more of a self control issue.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Again I am doing it for Health reason, I am a brittle diabetic and it soars high with the slightest carb. I take massive and I mean massive amounts of insulin several times a day and it can still go up quickly. So to live longer and be healthy I think I need to try to make this a way of life, if I want a life. Really all the discouragement and I needed someone to say it can and has been done...Thanks anyway

There is no "again". You have not mentioned your medical condition once.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

There is no "again". You have not mentioned your medical condition once.

yeah that makes a difference. kind of an important thing to omit....
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

You should has specified this in your OP-having a diagnosed medical condition, is very different than someone wanting to cut out something because they think it will help them lose weight. Your OP led everyone to believe you were doing this for the latter reason.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit-based sources of sugar - and I do not touch flour - if I have, it's been King Arthur Gluten Free version - it's a combination of different starches but not refined flour in the context of wheat-based flour. It works - here's hoping you have great success.
  • boopsiegrl
    Options
    I didn't omit it I said I have health problems I may not have said what it was...never mind...
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have decided to give up flour and sugar foods I know that also will mean I am giving up processed food since it will be one of the culprits...Anyone out there done this and what has your weight loss success been?

I did six months ago, gave up all grains and sugar ( even fruit has been drastically reduced). The result was better energy, clearer skin, brain fog lifted, and weight loss was icing on the cake. Let me tell you about the weight loss; it really shocked me. I lost 18 lbs in the first three weeks! It has slowed down tremendously since then, but still losing. I'm well below my pre pregnancy weight and headed towards to the weight I was at 22. Having more energy means more motivation to exercise. The biggest challenge for me is sugar begets more sugar, so when I have it I want it so much more. I don't miss my old WOE one bit; it was probably 60% carbs and I felt terrible after eating. Watch out, a lot of gluten-free packaged foods can be heavily processed with some unhealthy ingredients. With weight loss, what it comes down to is eating less calories, but for optimal health you'll want to strive for optimal nutrition and develop good body awareness so that you know which foods agree with you and which ones don't.
  • boopsiegrl
    Options
    Thanks for those with kind words
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    Options
    Hmm, an interesting concept giving up forever the things we enjoy too much.

I haven't quite gone that way, because I was concerned that someday I might break down and go back to eating all the things I've removed from my diet. You know, crave them for such a long time that you then break down and binge on them!

So what I've done instead, is just try and stay within my caloric target. With ZERO restrictions as to HOW I achieve that--other than, you know, achieving it!

But, in trying to achieve that, the best I can, I've discovered that I am quite often choosing foods that are more filling and with less calories as opposed to more palatable and with more calories.

I mean I will even eat rotisserie chicken breasts and veggies as opposed to a baguette wrapped Snickers bar, because, you know, chicken really satisfies you :smile:

But, I certainly indulge on the more palatable stuff when I decide to try and fit it in my caloric budget. Or, probably more often than not, make do with the good enough substitutes that are more easy to fit in my budget.

I mean I do eat hamburgers, as opposed to breaded and deep fried chicken breasts, because they actually have less fat and calories! And the Equate peanut like tasting protein bar I had today was 3.85Cal per gram as compared to the 5.86Cal per gram of a Snickers bar! Not quite the same rush; but, I can eat a greater quantity and it fills me up longer. A caloric bargain for me my friend! And about 10 minutes after eating the protein bar, I actually no longer even crave a Snickers bar...

Let me test that.

Snickers, Snickers, Snickers

Nah. I'm OK.
    Definitely not getting up and walking to the store to buy one, and I didn't even have to ban it from my life.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Nice one pav did you read the whole thread?
  • nru1286
    nru1286 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So I've done this. I have binge eating disorder, and I find that my trigger foods all have a common link: grains and refined sugars. This doesn't mean that I deprive myself, though. Don't get me wrong, I have changed a lot of what I eat, and make far different choices than I did a few years ago. But for the things I really love, the things I had trouble "letting go" of, I found substitutes that made it work for me. I still bake a few things, but use coconut or almond flour instead of wheat flour, and honey or dates instead of sugar. Honey and fruit are my sweeteners of choice. I made this choice originally not just for weight loss, but because of awful psoriasis that I've experienced; I found especially when I cut out grains/flour (not rice or quinoa as much, but anything with wheat), I would have flare ups within a day of really bad spots. In the spells when I am really trying to avoid wheat grains and sugar, I find that the weight sort of melts off automatically, even if I am not exercising a lot or counting calories. Since 2012 I've lost 100 pounds, changing things up a bit here and there, but I owe much of that success to eliminating wheat/sugar from my diet. As I said, though, that doesn't mean I deprive myself; but it does mean that there may be a bit more work involved in food preparation.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope it helps resolve or improve some lingering health issues, and that you feel better.
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to get your blood sugar under control, pronto, not waiting until you can get your diet together. Saying that you are giving up all sugar and flour forever is really hard to sustain. There are low carbers out there that will tell you it can be done, but for most people it is next to impossible. I have tried it, and I really love meat, and I still can't stay on for more than a month or two. Good luck to you!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

You should have mentioned it in your first post. There are people who need to give up carbs, but most don't. If this is what your doctor has told you do do, good luck to you.

• FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    good luck :) look into the paleo diet and joining the paleo community here on mfp, they're helpful people! I a lot of people get touchy when you talk about grains (or carbs) and I used to be one of them but I'm going on a week now of a high fat grain free diet and I feel amazing.

People making really nasty comments should find something better to do with their time.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Who made nasty comments?

Maybe the comments weren't to the OP's liking because she didn't disclose her medical condition from the beginning.
This discussion has been closed.