How to break a plateau

Options
MrsMKB
MrsMKB Posts: 64 Member
Hi again everyone!
I started this healthy lifestyle journey on January 13th... within two months I was down 18+lbs... It's almost been two more months now, and I'm only down 21lbs... I'm starting to lose motivation because I feel like I'm not seeing anything happen anymore. My clothes all got too big and I had to buy new, they all still fit perfect (for those who want to comment on the fact that it's not all about numbers lol)

I'm interested in finding something I can do that will give me a little boost. No, I'm not a quick fix kind of girl and don't need lectures on that... But if I could just see a few pounds drop in a quick fix fashion it will give me the motivation I need to keep going hard :) ... Tomorrow I am going to start the 8:16 intermittent fasting and see if that helps. I am going to stick with my curent calorie goal for that which is 1230 (most days more like 1100-12)... I have young kids, and a back injury, so as much as I want to do more exercising, I do all that I can in that regard and I don't eat back any of the burned cals...
Has anyone done a cleanse or something to get things kick started again to break such a long drawn plateau!?
Thanks so much

Oh, I am 5'6... Starting weight 185, current weight 164.

Replies

• 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I had a problem with a "plateau" a while back. I went to see a dietitian who told me to eat more protein. I did and started losing again.
  • MrsMKB
    Options
    85kurtz wrote: »
    I had a problem with a "plateau" a while back. I went to see a dietitian who told me to eat more protein. I did and started losing again.
    Yes I am a protein junkie! I eat almost double of MFP's protein goal every day... Definitely the biggest aid in weight loss :)
  • MrsMKB
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Sorry but 21 lbs in 3 months is a lot of lost weight and probably that high because of the size of your deficit. You can't keep expecting to lose at that rate especially when it would probably seem you aren't a lot of pounds from your goal.

I don't even understand how you think you have hit a plateau.

Did you read the post?

18lbs in two months is a big loss... 3lbs in two months is not. You don't have to be so bitter.

• 85kurtz
    Options
    Did you read the post?

Yes. Did you read my reply?
  • 85kurtz
    Options
    ashNoak wrote: »
    Yes I am a protein junkie! I eat almost double of MFP's protein goal every day... Definitely the biggest aid in weight loss :)

Good then it sounds as though you are doing everything you can. Maybe you just need to be a little more patient. ;)
  • MrsMKB
    Options
    Sorry but 21 lbs in 3 months is a lot of lost weight and probably that high because of the size of your deficit. You can't keep expecting to lose at that rate especially when it would probably seem you aren't a lot of pounds from your goal.

I don't even understand how you think you have hit a plateau.

Did you read the post?

18lbs in two months is a big loss... 3lbs in two months is not. You don't have to be so bitter.
    And 21 lbs in 3 months is still a lot. Bitter? Never. Why would I be when I'm fit and awesome?
    Did you read the post?

Yes. Did you read my reply?

Yes. Which is why I asked.

If you're here to start Internet drama, please leave MrM27

• MrsMKB
    edited May 2015
    Options

Good then it sounds as though you are doing everything you can. Maybe you just need to be a little more patient. ;)

Thanks Kurt :) unfortunately I was not blessed with the gift of patience lol ;)
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You could try going low carb for a week. Low carb diets are known for quick initial weight loss. It would definitely give you the quick boost that you need.
  • 85kurtz
    Options
    Yes. Which is why I asked.

Oh good. I am so glad.
    Grade for snarkiness = B-
    There are people that are much better at it than you here. But you keep on trying :D
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You could try going low carb for a week. Low carb diets are known for quick initial weight loss. It would definitely give you the quick boost that you need.

yes, you know, you have a point there. I was stuck one week without any weight loss, and I started eating a low carb dinner, then next week, I started losing again. Was it water loss, maybe, probably, but it excited me so much, it gave me the motivation to keep going, and keep going I did, until I reached maintenance.
  • Uselessly_Irrelevant
    Uselessly_Irrelevant Posts: 58 Member
    Options

18lbs in two months is a big loss... 3lbs in two months is not.
    3 pounds in 2 months is not a lot unless you have very little to lose. How close are you to your goal? I average about half a pound a week. I'm sure you've heard it before, but it's not linear. Some weeks you'll have no loses, and some you'll have more but it should average to whatever MFP states weekly. If the last 2 months you've only lost 3 pounds and you were slated for more I would consider reviewing your diary and making sure you are weighing EVERYTHING and logging everything you eat.

As far as getting out of a plateau, I have definitely used fasting as a temporary fix just to motivate me and see the scales move downward again.

Also, you mentioned not being able to exercise more - I don't exercise at all, so I know I have to be super careful about logging so I don't ruin my deficit. You might be in the same boat as me. Review your logging, try doing the Intermittent Fasting if you'd like, but if you are eating 1230 at most and are not seeing much weight loss, I would consider consulting with a physician to make sure everything is medically okay.

Good luck! Hope you kick out of that plateau soon :)
  • MrsMKB
    Options

18lbs in two months is a big loss... 3lbs in two months is not.
    3 pounds in 2 months is not a lot unless you have very little to lose. How close are you to your goal? I average about half a pound a week. I'm sure you've heard it before, but it's not linear. Some weeks you'll have no loses, and some you'll have more but it should average to whatever MFP states weekly. If the last 2 months you've only lost 3 pounds and you were slated for more I would consider reviewing your diary and making sure you are weighing EVERYTHING and logging everything you eat.

As far as getting out of a plateau, I have definitely used fasting as a temporary fix just to motivate me and see the scales move downward again.

Also, you mentioned not being able to exercise more - I don't exercise at all, so I know I have to be super careful about logging so I don't ruin my deficit. You might be in the same boat as me. Review your logging, try doing the Intermittent Fasting if you'd like, but if you are eating 1230 at most and are not seeing much weight loss, I would consider consulting with a physician to make sure everything is medically okay.

Good luck! Hope you kick out of that plateau soon :)

Thanks for your tips... I have another 35lbs+ to lose, definitely not as close to my goal as Id like to be! I am starting the 8:16 today, here's hoping!
  • aidendart
    aidendart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do a cleanse every year to help re-Kickstart. Usually vegetable juice or master cleanse. Works for me
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    aidendart wrote: »
    I do a cleanse every year to help re-Kickstart. Usually vegetable juice or master cleanse. Works for me

So now we're not just supposed to "kickstart," we need to "re-kickstart"?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    aidendart wrote: »
    What are you cleansing, exactly?