Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    logging accurately
    staying in a deficit
    moving more
    food scale (which helps with the first 2)

The thing is that regardless of the choice of how you get your calorie deficit (Paleo, HFLC, Vegan, Vegetarian etc) it's all about the deficit. It's not about the types of foods you include or exclude.

I say this because if you only eat certain foods and/or exclude others that doesn't mean you are going to be in a deficit. So instead of touting the exclusion of foods just accept it's a calorie deficit that helps you lose weight.

There are lots of people who eat paleo, vegan, vegetarian etc that are over weight and "can't" seem to lose because they don't/won't accept that it's not the types of foods you eat...it's the amount...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I lost significant weight before I ever counted a calorie by choosing the the Paleo WOE. So you can "lol" away until your food scale breaks.

you mean you restricted a bunch of "bad" foods and replaced them with lower calorie ones?

Paleo had nothing to do with it…

So I am curious what did you Paleo diet consist of? Raw meat, grubs, etc?

Careful he ate only other humans for 6 months at the start.

yeah and then he joined a calorie counting site.

My diary is open and I usually have a pretty good deficit without much planning or effort. Don't assume you know why people joined the site. I joined and am sticking with it because I like the graphs, data, community and blog posts.

Mine is open too...and I have a pretty good deficit without much planning or effort as well....and I eat all the foodz...

Lack of effort/planning is not paleo...it's called knowing your body, your food and what you like. BTW anyone new to Paleo would not agree...it's hard to know what you can and can't eat as the goal posts are always moving....if you can point me in the direction of a definitive paleo food list I would appreciate it. Not joking as I am always up for extra education.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    KEEP IT SIMPLE!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I lost significant weight before I ever counted a calorie by choosing the the Paleo WOE. So you can "lol" away until your food scale breaks.

The thing is... No WOE guarantees that you're going to lose weight.

I ate paleo before Cordain wrote the book on it and didn't lose weight. Neanderthin came out in the '90's, and that's what I followed. Why didn't I lose weight? I ate too many nuts and too much avocado. Simple. Too many calories, no weight loss.

So, you can bang the drum all day about your "secret", but that's not what's really doing it for you. It might be a naturally satiating group of foods for you, and if it is? Great. But make no mistake, you're simply creating a calorie deficit.

So in other words, the poster finds it easy to maintain a calorie deficit by following the paleo WOE – that's useful information. Constantly banging on about how all you need to do is have a calorie deficit isn't doing any more than stating the obvious. Everyone knows that, but clearly not everyone finds it easy to do (hence the need for sites like this) and following certain food plans helps some people to achieve it.

Personally I'm finding it much easier to create a calorie deficit on a low-carb diet. I feel more full and am not tempted to binge on sugary crap.

the point is paleo is totally unnecessary for anything, and is totally ridiculous because no one really eats how people did 10,000 years ago ...

ETA - as paleo is totally unnecessary for weight loss it is not a "secret" for losing weight ...
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    For me, its preparation and home cooking. Keeping the cupboards and fridge stocked with great fresh ingrediants and all sorts of herbs, psices etc. to make tasty veg & meat based meals. (I hardly ever eat grains due to dietary raesons but that keeps the cals low).

Today- I made sauted bacon (cut up into little peices) with leeks, red onions, courgette, red peppers and sundried tomatoes (if I'd of thought ahead I'd have some roasted garlic on hand) with steamed kale and purple broccoli on the side..... mmm... lovely!

(Off to stick a bulb of garlic in the oven now)

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I ate paleo before Cordain wrote the book on it and didn't lose weight. Neanderthin came out in the '90's, and that's what I followed. Why didn't I lose weight? I ate too many nuts and too much avocado. Simple. Too many calories, no weight loss.

So, you can bang the drum all day about your "secret", but that's not what's really doing it for you. It might be a naturally satiating group of foods for you, and if it is? Great. But make no mistake, you're simply creating a calorie deficit.

So in other words, the poster finds it easy to maintain a calorie deficit by following the paleo WOE – that's useful information. Constantly banging on about how all you need to do is have a calorie deficit isn't doing any more than stating the obvious. Everyone knows that, but clearly not everyone finds it easy to do (hence the need for sites like this) and following certain food plans helps some people to achieve it.

Personally I'm finding it much easier to create a calorie deficit on a low-carb diet. I feel more full and am not tempted to binge on sugary crap.

What's your point? To disagree for the sake of disagreeing? Did you notice the part where I said that he found the foods naturally satiating and so created the deficit and that that was great?

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

the point is paleo is totally unnecessary for anything, and is totally ridiculous because no one really eats how people did 10,000 years ago ...

ETA - as paleo is totally unnecessary for weight loss it is not a "secret" for losing weight ...

Exactly. It's just one way some people find of creating a deficit. So is low carb. It's not a weight loss "secret". The deficit created is.

PS... the problem you all have with binging on sugar? That's a BEHAVIORAL issue. Stop blaming the food. You can pull out all the dopamine blah blah blah you want, but until we see people compulsively raiding pet stores to pet puppies, I'll stick with the idea that you can get control of your impulse to eat hyper-palatable foods simply because they're tasty and learn to eat them in moderation. OR not. If that's your choice. But it's not the food's fault... it's yours.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more, wait.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

you mean you restricted a bunch of "bad" foods and replaced them with lower calorie ones?

Paleo had nothing to do with it…

So I am curious what did you Paleo diet consist of? Raw meat, grubs, etc?

Do you accessorize your food scale? Ya know, because you have to take it with you everywhere. You can give it a grey tank top and little black beanie. That would be cute!

typical...

when you did Paleo, did you run around in a loin cloth and spear all your food in the wild? I can play that game too ...

I'm proud to be Paleo! That's why I asked about your food scale. Are you proud of it? You put it in a little case, like a smart phone? Did you name it?

your feeble attempts at insults/humor/whatever you call it really are bad…is that the best you got?

I am still waiting for this "paleo" menu….

me too but I am not holding my breath...*sighs*

I just wish that once...just once...paleo people could give us a definitive food list.

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I just eat less than I burn. No secret about it.

I wish more people understood this. Also, someone mentioned education which should be no secret but some of the most simple things seem to befuddle people. If more people took the time to educate themselves this forum would have little activity and more people successfully losing weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Here is Paleo poster's diet yesterday: Not that I am an expert on Paleo, but some of this stuff has milk, and is processed so can't be Paleo:

Breakfast
    Organic - 2 Jumbo Eggs, 2 eggs jumbo
    Teas' Tea - Jasmine Green Tea (Unsweetened), 8 oz (240ml) would this be Paleo?

Lunch
    Acac - Muscle up, no way this is Paleo????

Dinner
    Slow Cooker (or not) Ham & Veggie Soup from Cook Smarts, 1.25 serving(s) Ham would not be Paleo (cured)

Snacks
    Generic - 5 Baby Carrots, Raw, 5 baby cut sticks
    Hershey's Hugs - Milk Chocolate Kisses Hugged In White Creme, Not even close to Paleo
    Strawberry - Strawberry, 2 med
    Turkey breast meat, 1 serving This may be Paleo if it is not processed mechanically separated turkey
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    I just eat less than I burn. No secret about it.

I wish more people understood this. Also, someone mentioned education which should be no secret but some of the most simple things seem to befuddle people. If more people took the time to educate themselves this forum would have little activity and more people successfully losing weight.

truth.com
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Here is Paleo poster's diet yesterday: Not that I am an expert on Paleo, but some of this stuff has milk, and is processed so can't be Paleo:

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner
    Slow Cooker (or not) Ham & Veggie Soup from Cook Smarts, 1.25 serving(s) Ham would not be Paleo (cured)

Snacks
    Hershey's Hugs - Milk Chocolate Kisses Hugged In White Creme, Not even close to Paleo
    Turkey breast meat, 1 serving This may be Paleo if it is not processed mechanically separated turkey

I would be starving.
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Mindfullness of food choice, quantity, and nutrition. Kindness to myself, when I slip up.

And continuing on after blowing over my goal... that's the absolute key for me. Accepting a "bad" day for what it is, and doing better the next.

I also give myself credit for whatever accomplishments I've made along the way - a new lowest weight, a healthy choice at the grocery store, pre-weighing/logging my food for the next day. Recognize the ways you are making a positive change and take pride in all of it.

ETA: Working Cheeseburgers and beer into my goals is an absolute must for sustainability.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Batch freezer cooking so I always have healthy meals at my fingertips.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Snacks

I would be starving.

me too I ate more food than that yesterday...but of course "they" will say they aren't hungry because the food they choose is more satisfying...eh I Had more protein and fats than they did...*smh*

Yup so paleo...*smh*

K change my mind...once just once when someone said they ate paleo you could actually look at their diary and go..you sure did...wow.

ie no chocolate or candie pecans or processed items.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Snacks

Hmmmm Paleolithic people had slow cookers????
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    My diet isn't that far from paleo, but I'd just as soon be fat and die early as give up tortillas and ice cream so I'll never be willing to close that gap.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    There are no secrets.

Calories.
This discussion has been closed.