Do you jog? Run? Why?

Options
I'm just really curious.

I'm F, 185, 5'4". I strictly do my cardio on the treadmill. I walk at an incline at 3.1 or so for 100 to 120 minutes every other day. Every other day, within those minutes I do a slow jog at 2.6 on a 0 incline for 25 minutes. . I'm not ready for c25k yet.

So tell me if you jog or run and why. Any other advice or input for me is welcomed too.

Replies

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm just really curious.

I'm F, 185, 5'4". I strictly do my cardio on the treadmill. I walk at an incline at 3.1 or so for 100 to 120 minutes every other day. Every other day, within those minutes I do a slow jog at 2.6 on a 0 incline for 25 minutes. . I'm not ready for c25k yet.

So tell me if you jog or run and why. Any other advice or input for me is welcomed too.

I walk every day. Slow jog every other day.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's twice as fast as walking.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    because I like it.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I jog/run 3-4 times a week. Because I'm on strict schedule in the morning and I can burn a lot more calories in less time running than walking. If I had a lot more free time, maybe I would just walk, but I don't.
  • ReynaDay01
    ReynaDay01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I slow run every few days and walk almost every day. I run because it's fun and, as I get stronger and my stamina grows I love to see how I can push myself a bit harder and go that extra 30 seconds.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I'm just really curious.

I walk a lot. It is my primary cardiovascular health training.
    I run sprints (HIIT) to get good doses of growth hormone and other good brain chemicals.
    I jog to train for a Ragnar Relay with my brother and some friends (social connections).

There are a ton of reasons to walk, jog and run.

• Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm running for !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrSpWg0ca50
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm just really curious.

If you can run for 25 minutes at 2.6 MPH then you are more than ready for C25K which calls for "running" at a pace slow enough that you can carry on a conversation when you first start. Don't sell yourself short.

I run because walking eventually wasn't enough. Running allows me to burn more calories in a shorter period of time. I run because I love races and if I want to run in races then I need to run on a regular basis. I run because I love testing myself and pushing myself to do better. Finishing a 5K or half marathon just a little bit faster than the time before is euphoric.

All of that said, if I had to do all of my running on a treadmill I wouldn't be doing it. I sometimes use the treadmill at the gym and after 5 minutes I just want to be done. It's useful for speed intervals because I can moderate my speed to exactly what I want but other than that, I do my running outside in the fresh air.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm just really curious.

I'm F, 185, 5'4". I strictly do my cardio on the treadmill. I walk at an incline at 3.1 or so for 100 to 120 minutes every other day. Every other day, within those minutes I do a slow jog at 2.6 on a 0 incline for 25 minutes

This is fantastic! Great job!
    I'm not ready for c25k yet.

This is BS.

To answer your question I am starting back up with C25K. However I lost about 30 lbs a few years back and started C25K right off the bat. You can do it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I jog on occasion to mix things up, but I mostly ride my bike and walk my dog and lift weights. Most of my jogging is done when I'm on vacation or something and I don't want to lug my bike around. I also tend to jog more in the winter when the weather is bad and I need to do my cardio inside...I prefer it to stationary bikes even though I prefer riding in general. Sometimes I do the elliptical too.

I really love riding though...it's a lot of fun and I love seeing different aspects of my city on my bike...stuff I drive by everyday looks completely different when I'm out on my bike. I also like participating in cycling events.
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Run.

To get away from the bears!!!

Hehe, only place I run is the soccer field or a mud run. I really can't stand to run just for the sake of running, I've got to have some other motivation.

From everything I've heard the walking you're doing is the best for weight loss. Running is undeniably harder on the body so unless you're really into it, or like me have something you like to do that requires it, I'd stick to walking.

Now to get real, and I'm not trying to be ugly, if you want to run for some reason you'll really want to lose some weight first. They probably won't let you try this at the gym but imagine picking up one of those 45 lb weights at the gym and running around. You won't get too far and you'll feel it in your ankles, shins, and knees every step. That's effectively what's going on now. What all that means is A) it won't feel good, B) you're at a higher risk of injury which would stall your efforts or make you backslide.

YMMV but I started this journey at 270 lbs and that's exactly what happened to me. Diet and walking did the trick though. I've got (had) some big guys on my soccer teams. Some can run surprisingly fast given their size but many have injured themselves enough to quit altogether or at least be out of a couple of months.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am your weight and height. I jog/run three times a week and I register for runs throughout the year. Last year I was walking and I got bored with it. It took too long to go places. This way I see more of my neighbourhood in a shorter time. More stimulation. I find the treadmill deadly boring.

You could be running in eight weeks if you joined a learn to run class or a C25K. If you can run for one minute, you are ready.

I think from a health point of view, it's all about the same. I take more wear and tear on my joints so I have to be careful. It's all about what you will keep doing.
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

No, never, because it kills gains. My cardio sessions are like yours. Every day though for 30-45 min depending on my goals. I walk at an incline and speed to set my heart rate in the fat burning zone.

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    For me it is the challenge. I find it hard to stick with something unless I am progressing.

Get stronger--Lift heavier. Get faster--Increase speed.
  • alibeec75
    alibeec75 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I run because it is the easiest thing to fit into my routine.

The minute I step out the front door I am right into my workout. I love that, no time wasted. It doesn't cost you anything either, so that also fits my budget.

Time and Money :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I run because I don't have to outrun the zombies, just most of my neighbors. I may run slowly, but it's fast enough that I won't get eaten first. (In all seriousness, "zombie apocalypse preparation" was 90% of the impetus for me to start running. The remaining 10% was just that I was stubborn and wanted to say that I could do it).
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I run because it's great for my sanity and cheaper than therapy. It gives me some much needed time to myself to reflect on my day and decompress. If I'm having a stressful time, running melts it all away.

Bonus is that it's good for my body and it's easy to fit into my schedule.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I run because I enjoy it. I'm going to repeat what others have said and encourage you to try C25k. I definitely think you are capable. I also enjoy lifting heavy things and I even take the occasional class like Body Bootcamp, Yoga, Crossfit, etc. Find an activity you enjoy and do that - or - if you get bored easily (like me) then do a little bit of it all :) Good Luck, OP!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

No, never, because it kills gains. My cardio sessions are like yours. Every day though for 30-45 min depending on my goals. I walk at an incline and speed to set my heart rate in the fat burning zone.

How bout hill sprints?

A cardio that has been proven to actually build muscle.