Eating Paleo, Dreaming of Grain

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Alan Levinovitz gave an interview to the Atlantic on food purity and religious thought, and it's fascinating to see it play out in this thread. For those of you who are interested, here's some of what he said:

"Ideas about religion can be so powerful that people can't endorse them without giving up a part of their identity. It's the same thing with diets. If you've adopted a diet and it's become part of your identity, asking someone to reconsider something as simple as eating sugar or gluten is kind of like asking someone to give up their faith. To admit that the core of their identity is fundamentally mistaken."

If you want to read the whole interview, it's here: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/05/the-puritanical-approach-to-food/392030/

I think he's on to something there. Judging from this forum, not even asking someone to reconsider what they're eating, but just sharing that you prefer a different way of eating to theirs, seems to inspire a certain vitriol.

Isn't it interesting, though? I have some quibbles about his tone, which edges toward condescending at times, but the core of his argument is compelling.

The facts are right but the delivery mechnism needs polishing. ;)
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    You know, even Adam and Eve ate bread, so if the goal is to eat the way people used to eat, eat some bread.

This is possibly the most ridiculous diet advise I've ever seen.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP: there's a group doing a whole30 right now. They may have some suggestions for how to manage it better. Good luck.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105519-whole30-may-june-2015

Thanks so much! I'll check it out.

Do. Folks in those groups typically post their menus etc. to help folks along. Have you noticed any allergies or inflammations improving since beginning?

No. Weight aside, I'm an otherwise pretty healthy and strong person, and I generally cook healthy, fresh foods from scratch. I've been slowly losing the weight I rapidly gained through reasonable eating and exercise. I'm not looking at Whole30 as any sort of life-changer or diet. I'm just trying something different to shake up the way I think about cooking. Cutting grains is an interesting challenge.
    And there's nothing wrong with shaking things up from time to time. People advocate changing up your workout routine from time to time, and why not change up your eating routine from time to time.
  • KombuchaCat
    Options
    Paleo does not have to be super low carb. That being said your body is very effective at converting proteins and fat to the glucose it needs so you certainly can go very low carb. At 5 days in you might be getting that "carb flu" as your body adjusts to living on less carbs. I would suggest eating starchy vegetables after exercize. That will give you some extra glucose after you've exerted yourself and should help with that sluggish feeling. Then on days you are sedentary keep the carbs lower. Good luck! Whole 30 is a great intro to the paleo/primal way of life. If you have not already come on over and join us at the paleo/primal group!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    1217ckCOMIC-charley---plio-diet.png?1418183173
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe for you @ndj1979

http://www.instructables.com/id/HomeMade-Raw-Almond-Butter/

Simple stuff - the ingredients are all considered Paleo. How one "made" it in the "era" is immaterial here. The key issue is ingredients - and whether processing it by man introduces an ingredient that would "taint" the actual result.

1 + 1 = 2. How did I get to 2? By taking 1 and adding 1 to it. That makes 2. That means 2 is a derivative of 1 and 1. Can you handle this?

You are more intelligent than this ridiculous method by which you try to constructively criticize someone's post. It's not up to everyone to prove to you whether something is or isn't, it's up to you to figure it out yourself. That's how lawyers work - they must know both sides of the argument - that means you have to know all the facts before deciding to place the burden of proof on someone else.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    People get passionate about junk information being passed about as if it were from Moses on Mt. Sinai. That's what gets people's ire up.

Then other people get all defensive because they get called out on their information that they can't verify with a reputable scientific source.

I was one of those people once - the one spouting off about processed this and chemicals that and I was put in my place here, about a year ago I guess. I skulked off with my tail between my legs and then really thought about everything that the Mean People here were saying...and I also considered my own craziness at trying to find the "right foods to eat so I'm not poisoning my family or myself" - and how distressing the whole thing is every time a new "report" comes out saying this is bad but this other thing is now good, and not bad anymore, and coffee is going to kill you and coffee is a health food and the dang olive oil you're buying is rancid but wait, this brand is not...and on and on an on. Books like Wheat Belly and Grain Brain and Eat to Live and every other "new fad" you can think of are churned out quickly, seems like every week there's something new - making authors and publishers a lot of money...meanwhile...

What gets people stirred up? Fear. Don't eat this or you'll get sick. This is poison. This will kill you. This is a toxin you need to be rid of it. You need to stop eating that poison food and eat this food...blah blah blah blah.

If you read any articles on how to market well, (I'm in real estate so I have looked into ways to market homes...) one of the top things in successful marketing is to instill fear... or even more specifically... fear of loss. (This is why you see realtors put things like "Won't last! Act now or it will be gone!" on listings..) In the subject of food - well, people fear the loss of longevity and good health...so these marketing campaigns trigger a response.

Pavlov's dogs if you will..

TL; DR - yeah, sorry. I ramble. :/
  • pawamonster
    pawamonster Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    People get passionate about junk information being passed about as if it were from Moses on Mt. Sinai. That's what gets people's ire up.

Then other people get all defensive because they get called out on their information that they can't verify with a reputable scientific source.

I was one of those people once - the one spouting off about processed this and chemicals that and I was put in my place here, about a year ago I guess. I skulked off with my tail between my legs and then really thought about everything that the Mean People here were saying...and I also considered my own craziness at trying to find the "right foods to eat so I'm not poisoning my family or myself" - and how distressing the whole thing is every time a new "report" comes out saying this is bad but this other thing is now good, and not bad anymore, and coffee is going to kill you and coffee is a health food and the dang olive oil you're buying is rancid but wait, this brand is not...and on and on an on. Books like Wheat Belly and Grain Brain and Eat to Live and every other "new fad" you can think of are churned out quickly, seems like every week there's something new - making authors and publishers a lot of money...meanwhile...

What gets people stirred up? Fear. Don't eat this or you'll get sick. This is poison. This will kill you. This is a toxin you need to be rid of it. You need to stop eating that poison food and eat this food...blah blah blah blah.

If you read any articles on how to market well, (I'm in real estate so I have looked into ways to market homes...) one of the top things in successful marketing is to instill fear... or even more specifically... fear of loss. (This is why you see realtors put things like "Won't last! Act now or it will be gone!" on listings..) In the subject of food - well, people fear the loss of longevity and good health...so these marketing campaigns trigger a response.

Speak, @wizzybeth. I didn't expect this thread to explode like this, but I should have seen it coming. Did you see the interview I linked above to the interview about food purity and religious thought?
  • KombuchaCat
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Are sweet potatoes not carbs? What about normal potatoes? Can I eat a load of fries or a 200g of potato chips if I'm paleoing?

who knows…apparently you can claim Paleo but not eat anything like Paleo Peoples but still be paleo …sounds like a legit way of eating...

There is no way we could eat exactly as our caveman ancestors did. However we can use the principles of how they ate and apply them to our choices in the current environment.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    You know, even Adam and Eve ate bread, so if the goal is to eat the way people used to eat, eat some bread.

This is possibly the most ridiculous diet advise I've ever seen.

Really?

You haven't been looking very hard then....

• KombuchaCat
    edited May 2015
    Options
    DMLC2014 wrote: »
    I would take the orange juice out and replace it with a whole apple. Processed juices can have lots of sugar(they do add extra fructose) in them. Unless you make your own.

Remember to change what foods you eat each day or you will get bored quickly. You want meals to be 350-400 calories each.

Remember Carbs are energy for you. You can get these from all veggies. You start high in the carbs in the morning....... and drops. That could be the reason for you being tired! Just increase your afternoon carbs and see how that goes.

so the sugar in orange juice is now worse than the apple sugar??? That is a new one.

The sugar in orange juice is not slowed by the natural fiber found in the whole fruit. Eat a whole orange, not the juice alone. One Paleo principle that anyone who knows how the human metabolism works can live by.
  • wizzybeth
    Options

Speak, @wizzybeth. I didn't expect this thread to explode like this, but I should have seen it coming. Did you see the interview I linked above to the interview about food purity and religious thought?

I have it bookmarked...I have to get to work now and stop lollygagging on the computer, lol

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe for you @ndj1979

http://www.instructables.com/id/HomeMade-Raw-Almond-Butter/

Simple stuff - the ingredients are all considered Paleo. How one "made" it in the "era" is immaterial here. The key issue is ingredients - and whether processing it by man introduces an ingredient that would "taint" the actual result.

1 + 1 = 2. How did I get to 2? By taking 1 and adding 1 to it. That makes 2. That means 2 is a derivative of 1 and 1. Can you handle this?

You are more intelligent than this ridiculous method by which you try to constructively criticize someone's post. It's not up to everyone to prove to you whether something is or isn't, it's up to you to figure it out yourself. That's how lawyers work - they must know both sides of the argument - that means you have to know all the facts before deciding to place the burden of proof on someone else.

The problem with Paleo or any of it's sister diets is that it really isn't what it claims to be...the rules keep changing and when they change too much it gets a new name...ie Paleo+eggs+dairy=Primal.

There are no set rules to follow really and it eliminates a lot of food....why?

That food does you no harm when eaten in moderation....

We can't know all the facts because those keep changing hence the issue.
  • KombuchaCat
    Options
    OP, I think you learned a valuable lesson. Adopting a way of eating because it's trendy or sounds interesting is all well and fine, but if it doesn't work for you, it's not a sustainable thing. And ultimately, we all need to craft a personalized diet for ourselves that sustains us, body and soul.

Eat foods that you like, that fuel your activities, nourish your body, and eat them in reasonable portions to meet your goals. It's really that simple.

You don't need to adopt any special rules or way of eating to do that.

So my cross fit instructor who is nationally ranked top 10 in Strongman for his weightclass while overcoming severe Chrone's disease is wrong for following Paleo? I don't think so!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    kpodaru wrote: »
    i do mostly paleo (i say 'mostly' because i have 1tsp of sugar with my coffee and on the odd occasion, i'll have a bit of shredded cheese with whatever it is i'm cooking because it's cheese) but in terms of food, i'm like, 99% paleo. i have amazing energy and when i started this way of eating, i didn't have any trouble at all with the transition or energy levels. fyi - paleo is not 'low carb'; it's eating foods that can be naturally harvested - meats, roots, seeds, veggies, fruits....that sort of thing.... no processed junk; no grains etc. i dont really like labelling the way i eat; i just prefer to eat naturally.

bump up your healthy fat intake - like half an avocado. squashes are great - i made a wonderful roasted buttercup squash last night with 1tbsp coconut oil, salt and pepper. tonight i'll be making roasted butternut squash with thyme. there are a ton of paleo recipes on pinterest :)

cheese is naturally harvested?

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I have it bookmarked...I have to get to work now and stop lollygagging on the computer, lol
    Do read it. And consider it broadly. :smile:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MalineVD wrote: »
    I've been eating paleo for almost 3 years now. Can't eat gluten due to healthproblems and also wanted to stop eating (added) sugars.
    You'll learn other ways to feel full :)
    The beginning is really hard. I was craving bread and pasta for weeks! You're also feeling the effects of no sugar.. Try to have moooooore protein and good fats. Snacks like an apple with almond butter always fill me up pretty good. I eat meat and fish and eggs like crazy and I always have home made soup in my fridge.

almond butter was around in the Paleolithic era….really???

Dude, it's not whether almond butter was around the Paleolithic era, it's whether one could derive it from a source that would've been around in the Paleolithic era. If it's from a source that one would surmise was around to be eaten by our ancestors then one can conclude a derivative of it would be considered Paleo as well.

If you need more information, consider the following:

http://ultimatepaleoguide.com/almonds-paleo/

It's really easy to do a Google search on a food item and just ask a question regarding it. The Founder of Paleo is included in the search:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=is+almond+paleo

This is really simple stuff. Instead of picking apart someone's comment, try doing the research.

link me to the archeological dig that shows people were eating almond butter in the Paleolithic era….

You obviously don't understand the point. It's useless discussing something you with you if you cannot understand the underlying facts. This isn't about almond butter - this is about whether the DERIVATIVE almond butter can be sourced to the ingredients that would've been considered part of the Paleolithic era.

That's it. If you cannot understand that, you will never get it. You don't have to be Paleo to understand that simple fact. It's called SOURCING.

Yes, it is about almond butter. The person said they eat paleo and eat almond butter, my point is that almond butter was not consumed by paleolithic people; hence, it is not paleo.

Yes or No, did paleolithic people eat almond butter?

• ndj1979
    Options
    Are sweet potatoes not carbs? What about normal potatoes? Can I eat a load of fries or a 200g of potato chips if I'm paleoing?

who knows…apparently you can claim Paleo but not eat anything like Paleo Peoples but still be paleo …sounds like a legit way of eating...

There is no way we could eat exactly as our caveman ancestors did. However we can use the principles of how they ate and apply them to our choices in the current environment.

OK - so it is the "Apply the eating techniques of Paleo People to the modern world diet" now?

You do realize that Paleo peole just ate to survive right? I mean they did not have a "technique of eating" they ate to survive....
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Welcome to MFP. ;)
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    kjm3579 wrote: »

Thanks for the links. Here are my two favorite parts from each.

4nxm5awvl6uh.jpg

and

"It isn’t the BEST diet and it cuts out a lot of stuff you really don’t have to cut out based on some quackery false as f@ck pseudoscience."

Great reads!

This discussion has been closed.