SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    MalineVD wrote: »
    I've been eating paleo for almost 3 years now. Can't eat gluten due to healthproblems and also wanted to stop eating (added) sugars.
    You'll learn other ways to feel full :)
    The beginning is really hard. I was craving bread and pasta for weeks! You're also feeling the effects of no sugar.. Try to have moooooore protein and good fats. Snacks like an apple with almond butter always fill me up pretty good. I eat meat and fish and eggs like crazy and I always have home made soup in my fridge.

almond butter was around in the Paleolithic era….really???

Dude, it's not whether almond butter was around the Paleolithic era, it's whether one could derive it from a source that would've been around in the Paleolithic era. If it's from a source that one would surmise was around to be eaten by our ancestors then one can conclude a derivative of it would be considered Paleo as well.

If you need more information, consider the following:

http://ultimatepaleoguide.com/almonds-paleo/

It's really easy to do a Google search on a food item and just ask a question regarding it. The Founder of Paleo is included in the search:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=is+almond+paleo

This is really simple stuff. Instead of picking apart someone's comment, try doing the research.

link me to the archeological dig that shows people were eating almond butter in the Paleolithic era….

You obviously don't understand the point. It's useless discussing something you with you if you cannot understand the underlying facts. This isn't about almond butter - this is about whether the DERIVATIVE almond butter can be sourced to the ingredients that would've been considered part of the Paleolithic era.

That's it. If you cannot understand that, you will never get it. You don't have to be Paleo to understand that simple fact. It's called SOURCING.

Yes, it is about almond butter. The person said they eat paleo and eat almond butter, my point is that almond butter was not consumed by paleolithic people; hence, it is not paleo.

Yes or No, did paleolithic people eat almond butter?

I think you like being deliberately obtuse.
    You know full well that 'Paleo' is just a name used for marketing purposes; it doesn't literally mean that people who follow this WOE eat exactly as Paleolithic people ate.
    And you also know full well (I hope) that wheat production went through vast changes in the 1950s and 60s; this is a matter of historical fact not something you need a research paper to prove. Whether you think that today's wheat is better or worse for you than the stuff your grandmother cooked with depends on whose story you choose to believe.

Thank you for proving my point that Paleo is just a marketing scam that has nothing to do with the actual Paleolithic era.

And since the other poster will not, please link us to research showing the differences in grain production and how that adversely affects modern man...

I looked up a little history lesson for you, just because I'm nice (and it only took about five seconds). This is in reply to your original question wanting someone to 'prove' that the grains today are different than they were pre-1960s. (Which was a bizarre question in the first place.)

http://preventdisease.com/news/12/011612_Modern-Wheat-Really-Isnt-Wheat-At-All.shtml

Lol....

Well that's an unbiased source if I've ever seen one.

Now, now, remember, if it's on the Internet it MUST be true.

I like this site personally

http://www.allaboutwheat.info/history.html
    Wheat is the product of a cross between three different grass species which is reputed to have happened about 10,000 B.C.
    6,700 B.C.

In the stone age, man ground grains of wheat with rocks to make flour. Man understood that he could grow food as well as hunt food.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I've been eating paleo for almost 3 years now. Can't eat gluten due to healthproblems and also wanted to stop eating (added) sugars.
    The beginning is really hard. I was craving bread and pasta for weeks! You're also feeling the effects of no sugar.. Try to have moooooore protein and good fats. Snacks like an apple with almond butter always fill me up pretty good. I eat meat and fish and eggs like crazy and I always have home made soup in my fridge.

Dude, it's not whether almond butter was around the Paleolithic era, it's whether one could derive it from a source that would've been around in the Paleolithic era. If it's from a source that one would surmise was around to be eaten by our ancestors then one can conclude a derivative of it would be considered Paleo as well.

It's really easy to do a Google search on a food item and just ask a question regarding it. The Founder of Paleo is included in the search:

This is really simple stuff. Instead of picking apart someone's comment, try doing the research.

link me to the archeological dig that shows people were eating almond butter in the Paleolithic era….

You obviously don't understand the point. It's useless discussing something you with you if you cannot understand the underlying facts. This isn't about almond butter - this is about whether the DERIVATIVE almond butter can be sourced to the ingredients that would've been considered part of the Paleolithic era.

That's it. If you cannot understand that, you will never get it. You don't have to be Paleo to understand that simple fact. It's called SOURCING.

Yes, it is about almond butter. The person said they eat paleo and eat almond butter, my point is that almond butter was not consumed by paleolithic people; hence, it is not paleo.

You know full well that 'Paleo' is just a name used for marketing purposes; it doesn't literally mean that people who follow this WOE eat exactly as Paleolithic people ate.
    And you also know full well (I hope) that wheat production went through vast changes in the 1950s and 60s; this is a matter of historical fact not something you need a research paper to prove. Whether you think that today's wheat is better or worse for you than the stuff your grandmother cooked with depends on whose story you choose to believe.

Thank you for proving my point that Paleo is just a marketing scam that has nothing to do with the actual Paleolithic era.

And since the other poster will not, please link us to research showing the differences in grain production and how that adversely affects modern man...

I looked up a little history lesson for you, just because I'm nice (and it only took about five seconds). This is in reply to your original question wanting someone to 'prove' that the grains today are different than they were pre-1960s. (Which was a bizarre question in the first place.)

http://preventdisease.com/news/12/011612_Modern-Wheat-Really-Isnt-Wheat-At-All.shtml

Your source is a website that posts this:

13e76902cb89787ad31e60cdf4915bac.png

You should really spend some time looking at your sources before posting them, you know?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Alan Levinovitz gave an interview to the Atlantic on food purity and religious thought, and it's fascinating to see it play out in this thread. For those of you who are interested, here's some of what he said:

"Ideas about religion can be so powerful that people can't endorse them without giving up a part of their identity. It's the same thing with diets. If you've adopted a diet and it's become part of your identity, asking someone to reconsider something as simple as eating sugar or gluten is kind of like asking someone to give up their faith. To admit that the core of their identity is fundamentally mistaken."

If you want to read the whole interview, it's here: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/05/the-puritanical-approach-to-food/392030/

Thanks for the link...Enjoyable reading.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    The thing is, 99% of the people who currently think that Paleo is the perfect way to eat will be on to something else in a few years. Likely "The Refined Carb Diet", based on the belief that by 'purifying' we turn grains into 'superfoods' which are effortlessly and perfectly absorbed by our bodies.

lol true dat

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I asked for peer reviewed studies showing that grains post 1960 are more harmful than ones from 10,000 years ago ...

I did not ask for an article from a pseudo science site....
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    OP, I think you learned a valuable lesson. Adopting a way of eating because it's trendy or sounds interesting is all well and fine, but if it doesn't work for you, it's not a sustainable thing. And ultimately, we all need to craft a personalized diet for ourselves that sustains us, body and soul.

Eat foods that you like, that fuel your activities, nourish your body, and eat them in reasonable portions to meet your goals. It's really that simple.

You don't need to adopt any special rules or way of eating to do that.

So my cross fit instructor who is nationally ranked top 10 in Strongman for his weightclass while overcoming severe Chrone's disease is wrong for following Paleo? I don't think so!

I was speaking specifically to the OP. Obviously, she had an issue.

Obviously, your cross fit instructor doesn't.

Each person needs to find their own path of sustainable eating. That was my point.

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

I asked for peer reviewed studies showing that grains post 1960 are more harmful than ones from 10,000 years ago ...

Actually you asked for a research paper "proving" that grain production methods were drastically modified around the 1960s. That's like asking for a research paper proving the Second World War happened. It's a fact. Some guy even won a Nobel prize for saving lots of people from starving (the reason the grains were modified was to make the crops more durable and higher yield.)

Whether you think the resultant product is better or worse, and whether you choose to eat it or not; that's up to you.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

No, you don't understand. Evidence for almonds being domesticated maybe predates the Bronze Age by a teeny bit. That's it. They were poisonous in the Paleolithic Era.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Actually you asked for a research paper "proving" that grain production methods were drastically modified around the 1960s. That's like asking for a research paper proving the Second World War happened. It's a fact. Some guy even won a Nobel prize for saving lots of people from starving (the reason the grains were modified was to make the crops more durable and higher yield.)

Whether you think the resultant product is better or worse, and whether you choose to eat it or not; that's up to you.

but the article you provided wasn't true....it doesn't prove anything...I found a site that said the complete opposite...that wheat 10,000 BC was created by 3 different types of grass..etc

I guess you missed that in an effort to slap NDJ
  • ndj1979
    Options

actually, no I did not here is my exact quote:

"And since the other poster will not, please link us to research showing the differences in grain production and how that adversely affects modern man..."

again, you really need to fully read what I am saying, take it in, and comprehend it, before you blast out replies.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Hey, if you'll give a biased woo site, I'll give you bias from the USDA

http://wheat.pw.usda.gov/ggpages/Wheat__Improvement-Myth_Versus_FactFINAL.pdf
  • Chrysalid2014
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

but the article you provided wasn't true....it doesn't prove anything...I found a site that said the complete opposite...that wheat 10,000 BC was created by 3 different types of grass..etc

... it's called mutation breeding and pretty much every variety of wheat grown today is produced that way. The scientist who invented it and won the Nobel Prize was named Norman Borlaug. Or perhaps I'm making all that up too.
    Here's a full history of wheat for you:
    http://www.economist.com/node/5323362

[edit: Norman, not Normal, Borlaug]
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

Government propaganda.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

... it's called mutation breeding and pretty much every variety of wheat grown today is produced that way. The scientist who invented it and won the Nobel Prize was named Normal Borlaug. Or perhaps I'm making all that up too.
    Here's a full history of wheat for you:
    http://www.economist.com/node/5323362

now you are moving the goal posts..

we are still waiting for the peer reviewed study showing that wheat grown today adversely affects humans as opposed to the wheat grown 10,000 years ago ...
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options

Government propaganda.

Hilarious.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    If yr tired and everything, then your body needs some carbs. Paleo just isn't suitable for everybody. Perhaps it's time to rethink/rework the eating strategy you're using.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Government propaganda.

And what would you call that piece of garbage link you posted?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Government propaganda.

19aemabpw8svzjpg.jpg

• Chrysalid2014
    Options

now you are moving the goal posts..

we are still waiting for the peer reviewed study showing that wheat grown today adversely affects humans as opposed to the wheat grown 10,000 years ago ...

I was actually replying here to the first of your (many) demands for information, i.e.
    The grain we have today vs the grain we had back in the old ages up until around 1960's are totally diff, and also grown and processed differently on top of that.

LOL oh really …

what would those differences be?????

So are we in acknowledgment now that today's grains are modified?

• ndj1979
    Options

Government propaganda.

bahahahahahahaha

and the pseudo science cite you utilized is what then?????????????????
This discussion has been closed.