Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    bgorum wrote: »
    I know the CICO and EIM nazis are out and I'm 'bout to get hammered for this. But, I personally feel like I lose all control if I eat certain high fat/high sugar foods. Then all my efforts at moderation and/or healthy eating are completely derailed. For that reason, this documentary/mockumentary (whatever you prefer to call it) made total sense to me. What do I mean by lose all control? I mean, if there is more ice cream available or more cookies or more candy after I've had my pre-planned portion, I will not stop there. I'm going to end up eating waaaaayyyy more than that original portion. So for me, it is better to avoid those foods altogether.

Not going to hammer you.

But only point out that you found that YOU need to eliminate them as YOU don't have the willpower (not a judgment, just going off your own comments) to stop.

That doesn't mean it's necessary that EVERYONE do so, nor does it mean that the ice cream et al is at fault.

This is what it comes down to. I have a lot more control now than I did before and I can have treats now. I don't lose control and devour whole things though I do have an out of schedule snack now and then.

Yep yep.

I'm an ice cream junkie.

I worked in an ice cream shop through my high school years. Each night I would bring home a pint of ice cream and eat it as a snack.

During the summer months, even as an adult, I'd have a bowl (probably at least a pint's worth) of ice cream almost every night.

Now, I still have ice cream/gelato/etc almost every night, but I measure out a half cup serving, and enjoy it. And I have no problem putting the rest back, because I know it will still be there tomorrow (unless my girls find my secret freezer hiding spot!)
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the constructive criticism as opposed to the snarky hatefulness I'm used to seeing from some folks. But, I think you misunderstand. I do not feel like it is a "willpower" issue. As long as I avoid those trigger foods, I have no problem staying within goal or even eating a treat of some kind. This . . . it feels like addiction for me, and I know whereof I speak as a former smoker. With smoking, it was a feeling of wanting not to smoke that cigarette, but being unable to deny what the receptors of my brain wants. And to this day, if I smoked another cigarette, I'd end up going out and buying a pack because of the receptors that would be triggered. Again, I know because I've been there. With the trigger foods, it feels exactly the same.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    kyleh206 wrote: »
    Yeah people need to cut down on their sugar. I liked the show.

Eating crap like a processed to heck Snickers bar and 3oz Coke will destroy your efforts. That's like 600 calories added with a bunch of sugar.

I've cut WAAAYY down on sugar (in turn calories in general) and have lost almost 40 lbs.

I've lost almost 40 pounds. I eat gelato and cookies. I eat all of my calories in moderation.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

Eating crap like a processed to heck Snickers bar and 3oz Coke will destroy your efforts. That's like 600 calories added with a bunch of sugar.

I've cut WAAAYY down on sugar (in turn calories in general) and have lost almost 40 lbs.

It will only destroy your efforts if you don’t fit those calories into your macros. It’s not guaranteed to prevent weight loss. For the record, I love Snickers bars.

I've asked for a bag of fun-sized Snickers bars for Mother's Day.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Any effort is destroyed when you go over your calories but I enjoy a snickers bar here and there and I've just discovered Karamel Sutra ice cream.

Ooooh :open_mouth: I like the sound of that!

It's the best thing I've tasted in a long time.

karamel-sutra-detail.png

OMG. I need a ... private moment.

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options

Any effort is destroyed when you go over your calories but I enjoy a snickers bar here and there and I've just discovered Karamel Sutra ice cream.

Ooooh :open_mouth: I like the sound of that!

It's the best thing I've tasted in a long time.

karamel-sutra-detail.png

OMG. I need a ... private moment.

They also make a salted caramel one.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    bgorum wrote: »
    I know the CICO and EIM nazis are out and I'm 'bout to get hammered for this. But, I personally feel like I lose all control if I eat certain high fat/high sugar foods. Then all my efforts at moderation and/or healthy eating are completely derailed. For that reason, this documentary/mockumentary (whatever you prefer to call it) made total sense to me. What do I mean by lose all control? I mean, if there is more ice cream available or more cookies or more candy after I've had my pre-planned portion, I will not stop there. I'm going to end up eating waaaaayyyy more than that original portion. So for me, it is better to avoid those foods altogether.

Not going to hammer you at all. I've been down that road myself. Sometimes, that's the best strategy, and I do respect it as a personal choice.

You're stating it as such, and that's totally cool and I appreciate you not calling sugar and treats "crap".

That's where the bone of contention comes in.

I do want to give you hope, it's possible to get to the point, even with your worst trigger food, of no longer going crazy on it. I did without my triggers for years. I can now eat them in moderation. It took a lot of work on the emotional side of things for me. I don't know what your situation is, so I can't say what might or might not apply in your case.

I wish you the best of luck, whether you stay off sugar for good, or you're able to reintroduce it at some point.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

No kidding a Snickers and a coke would carry calories. It's about knowing how to fit them into your day, week, or month.

600 calories?

A full snickers and a whole 3oz of coke would be about 300 calories. If you decided to drink the whole can...than ya it's about 400.

I'm not sure why you quoted or replied to my post. Do you even realize what I was getting at?

He responded directly to what you said, do you realize what he was getting at?
    A snickers isn't going to destroy your efforts.
  • kyleh206
    kyleh206 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I've lost almost 40 pounds. I eat gelato and cookies. I eat all of my calories in moderation.

Great. Not for me. I don't eat excess sugar and processed foods for the most part. Maybe once a week I'll grab something terrible to eat. Like last night I had half an ice cream cookie.

I've come to the realization what works for me and what I want for my daughter's. I was never taught how to eat by my parents. Just bull crap like processed blue berry muffins for breakfast and processed cupcakes for a dessert.

So if that's stuff you want to eat and can loose weight off it, cool. Just not what I want anymore and I don't want for my kids.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Great. Not for me. I don't eat excess sugar and processed foods for the most part. Maybe once a week I'll grab something terrible to eat. Like last night I had half an ice cream cookie.

I've come to the realization what works for me and what I want for my daughter's. I was never taught how to eat by my parents. Just bull crap like processed blue berry muffins for breakfast and processed cupcakes for a dessert.

So if that's stuff you want to eat and can loose weight off it, cool. Just not what I want anymore and I don't want for my kids.

Peek at my diary (it's public) and check the proportion of my serving to the rest of my intake.

You might be surprised.

There's a key word in your post. I've bolded it.

I'm not having dessert tonight. I've left room, if I want, I could have a cookie if I change my mind later. I have the calories for it.

• HelloTygerlily
    HelloTygerlily Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto, which reflects the ideas shown here somewhat, and I've lost almost 50 pounds in 6 months, which is 1/3 of the way to a healthy BMI. I have HAD PCOS, diabetes, fatty liver, etc. Exercise just hurts and makes me want to eat to feel better. When I get smaller and it stops hurting, I will exercise.
  • kyleh206
    Options

Peek at my diary (it's public) and check the proportion of my serving to the rest of my intake.

You might be surprised.

I'm not having dessert tonight. I've left room, if I want, I could have a cookie if I change my mind later. I have the calories for it.

I don't need to peak at it. You're are hitting your goal. That's great. My goal is not more than 40 grams of sugar a day. A single chips ahoy cookie is 6 grams of processed sugar. I avoid processed stuff as much as possible because that's my goal. In turn, my weight loss. I started MFP with weight loss only in mind. Now it's much more.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Mamapeach, I really like the way you put things. Having a positive attitude towards all foods, while still reaching weight loss goals, is what it’s all about IMO. I don’t see any food as crap, and crap itself isn’t food, so you know, that works out.

I need to get myself a bag of those mini-Snickers. I like being able to more easily control the serving size. And Adamitri, that looks… so yum :yum:
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    It's not all sugar. I eat fruit without binging and honey . . . .

I guess what I'm saying is, I am not a rare snowflake as they say . . . there are others like me. So, there are others who might find "Fed Up" apropos.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

You might be surprised.

I don't need to peak at it. You're are hitting your goal. That's great. My goal is not more than 40 grams of sugar a day. A single chips ahoy cookie is 6 grams of processed sugar. I avoid processed stuff as much as possible because that's my goal. In turn, my weight loss. I started MFP with weight loss only in mind. Now it's much more.

Guess what? Mine's around the same goal because I'm older and short and have a low calorie allowance. Some days I go over, but I also eat berries, get protein from dairy (I'm a vegetarian), and eat vegetables. I still never egregiously exceed my sugar goals.

And yet, I eat gelato and cookies.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Mamapeach, I really like the way you put things. Having a positive attitude towards all foods, while still reaching weight loss goals, is what it’s all about IMO. I don’t see any food as crap, and crap itself isn’t food, so you know, that works out.

I need to get myself a bag of those mini-Snickers. I like being able to more easily control the serving size. And Adamitri, that looks… so yum :yum:

Thanks! Being 52 and short makes for a tiny calorie allowance. An 80 calorie treat? Super easy to fit into a day.

• kyleh206
    Options

You might be surprised.

Guess what? Mine's around the same goal because I'm older and short and have a low calorie allowance. Some days I go over, but I also eat berries, get protein from dairy (I'm a vegetarian), and eat vegetables. I still never egregiously exceed my sugar goals.

And yet, I eat gelato and cookies.

Great. You aren't getting what I'm saying. I've told you great and keep doing what you want with it.

Since you keep replying to what you do, I'll again say what I do. I stay away from processed foods.

So there is zero reason to keep running circles. Do what makes you happy.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I've been doing keto, which reflects the ideas shown here somewhat, and I've lost almost 50 pounds in 6 months, which is 1/3 of the way to a healthy BMI. I have HAD PCOS, diabetes, fatty liver, etc. Exercise just hurts and makes me want to eat to feel better. When I get smaller and it stops hurting, I will exercise.

I have psoriatic arthritis and fibromyalgia/CFS, so I get the idea of exercise hurting.

Waiting until it doesn't hurt might not be the answer, though.

When I was first diagnosed with the arthritis, of course I read everything I could, and one of the most often repeated recommendations was to exercise. Well, here I was, with an already existing medical condition aggravated by exercise (the CFS, exercise fatigued me horribly)... what to do?

I grabbed my cane, and went for a short walk. I only managed 10 minutes, it hurt, but I did it. I took a nap that day. The next day, I grabbed my cane and walked again. I kept going out again and again. Eventually, the fatigue abated, my time walking increased, my muscles built up, it stopped hurting. In fact, everything felt better for doing it. It's still that way.

I have times where my chronic migraines (yeah, I have those too) get in the way of my desire to exercise, and I really feel it when that happens. I gotta work with what I have, though. Walking, ever increasing my speed and incline on the treadmill, and strength training have greatly decreased my pain levels and increased my energy.

I don't know the specific source of your pain, but hopefully you've found something useful in all of my rambling.

• JoeyFrappuccino
    JoeyFrappuccino Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with Katie Couric but this movie definitely gave me a very negative opinion of her. The bias was so overwhelming it seemed like a parody at times. There was one scene where she's interviewing someone, and the interviewee takes a long pause to consider a question she asked before she abruptly cut to a new scene to make it appear that he didn't know what he was talking about. I almost stopped watching then, what a disgusting tactic to use in a documentary. The families they interviewed were clueless about what they were doing (switching to Lean Pockets and low fat crackers while constantly eating fat free cereal to lose weight) and that kind of misinformation is a direct result of this sort of film. One family went on a 'sugar detox' for six weeks or so, lost some weight then gained it all back. It really seemed to contradict the message of the rest of the film (calories aren't real, sugar makes you fat and if you're overweight you're a helpless victim of the corporations). The only thing I appreciated about this documentary was that it disputed the myth that healthier foods are more expensive. This film was not made to educate people, it was made to coddle feelings, shift blame, and point fingers.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Watched the movie but it was hard to take it seriously when one of the opening statements in the beginning was, "... not all calories are equal..."

.... I use to be 100% paleo and in the end I started gaining weight. I now do CICO and eat potato chips, chocolate chip cookies, bbq ribs, and anything I want. I'm loosing about a pound a week... but according to the logic, "a calorie is not a calorie," I should be fat now and I should have never gained weight when I was, "eating clean,"
This discussion has been closed.