Coffee While Dieting - Yes, or No???

Options

Replies

• titania_one
    titania_one Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am already slightly miserable while dieting.... Why take away coffee too and make myself even more miserable?? LOL
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    IIt's a low calorie pleasure and how many of those are there? !!

Absolutely!

During the week I just drink what we've got in the office.

But on the weekends at home, I go flavoured. Black, but flavoured.

This is one of our favourite brands:
    http://cafepalazzo.com.au/shop/1kg-flavoured-coffees/

Gloria Jeans also has some good flavoured black coffees.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    I am already slightly miserable while dieting.... Why take away coffee too and make myself even more miserable?? LOL

This too. :)

While I can't have much in the way of deserts right now, I can enjoy a black Cafe Palazzo Choc Macadamia Nut coffee.

• KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love coffee. Love it. But I drink it either black or with 1 tablespoon of creamer. I always log it but I usually only have 2 cups a day. Only adds up to 70 calories.... Not bad for something I love to drink.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    26604.png

d544ab6403f44459b1dca8fc4649516f.jpg

115Coffee.jpg

I think that might begin to express how I feel about coffee...

I have minimum of 2 cups daily, and none of the brewed or K-cup crap... We have a full auto espresso machine in my house. Please see picture #2 again for clarification.
  • surfteam1689
    surfteam1689 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    [/quote] To the original poster, I guess I was not fair... Enjoy the coffee if it helps but like most here are saying try to cut back on the sugar and creamer) [/quote]

213Tim - Thanks for the links. As I mentioned in my original post, I use Sugar Free, low-cal, low-carb Coffee Creamer. I do log everything I eat and drink. I too go through phases where I like it black, and then don't. I also do half-caff. I do drink a lot of Argentine Máte, which is a great green herb tea, and at least 8 cups of filtered water every day, including a 16 ounce slam with 1 tablespoon of squeezed lemon in the morning.

As for the negative effects, sure, too much caffeine will probably hurt you. Everything in moderation! :-)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I would have popped somebody if I wasn't drinking coffee while cutting.
  • surfteam1689
    surfteam1689 Posts: 73 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    As for coffee being very acidic, yes, that's definitely true. My wife can't drink coffee because of that, and it messes with her intestines really quickly. This is one of the reasons why I do the 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in 16 ounces of water every morning - to stay somewhat alkaline. I prep one for my wife too. ;-)
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding? I'm like the WAKING DEAD in the morning until I have my coffee! Yes, yes, I absolutely have to have my coffee every morning. Two cups with sweet and low and cream. It adds up to 100 calories for me, and it's well worth it.
  • snowdevilgirl
    snowdevilgirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    I like my coffee creamy and not incredibly hot. So a tbsp or 2 of anything doesn't cut it for me. I use 1/4-1/2 cup (depending on the size of my mug) of unsweetened Vanilla almond milk and splenda.

Try using a protein powder as a substitute. Makes it sweet and creamy.
  • coffeebean1988
    coffeebean1988 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have switched to green tea most days, but when I need the extra jolt I drink black coffee. I try to eat as clean as possible and creamers (esp low calorie/low sugar/low cal) are filled with ingredients that I can't pronounce. I feel better, my skin is more clear and my hair has never looked better! If you need coffee and can't stay away from creamers, try adding dark chocolate almond milk.. Its delicious!
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    triple espresso first thing in the morning.

Freshly ground from recently roasted beans. None of that Starbucks/Costa rubbish or... even worse... instant *shudders*

I savour it. It is wonderful, and woe betide anyone that interferes with my morning coffee.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I do not even understand why this is a question .. because coffee
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a necessity for me. I drink mine (3/4 of an 8 cup pot daily), and use skim milk. I'm not a big fan of sweet coffees, unless we're talking Starbucks frappaccinos. :) I do not indulge in those because of the price/calories.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Considering that a cup of coffee has about 5 total Calories, I highly doubt it will have a negative effect on your weight loss. Maybe if you drink 400 cups a day or add about 1000 calories of sugar, cream and flavoring it will. There is nothing inherently "bad" about coffee except if you have a medical condition that requires you to limit caffeine.

TL;DR - CICO and I love coffee.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with coffee. Coffee is a magical beverage. It contains very few calories if you avoid adding junk to it. Learn to appreciate good coffee and stop trying to make it taste like something else by adding creamers and sweeteners. There is no need to tamper with this perfect drink! But if you're adamant that's not your thing just log whatever you add to it.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    What are the negative effects you read? I find it's a decent appetite suppressant. But even if it weren't, it's like no calories black, and I love it so...so much.

When I did the Ideal Protein Diet, my weight-loss coach said "NO COFFEE". I just followed the rules without asking why and lost weight through Ketosis. But I'm back on coffee now. :-)

You lost weight because you burned more calories than you took in. It is the only scientifically accurate explanation. Coffee had nothing to do with it.
  • DivineLotus
    DivineLotus Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I will NOT give up coffee. No, no, no, no... what I did was change it around to fit within my calories. I am currently doing sugar free coffee mate due to my current medical issues, but that is a personal choice on how you want to drink your coffee, if you choose to drink it at all. If your coffee contains the calories of a meal and you can live without then, personally, I'd opt for food :)