Something I learned to avoid carbs

Options

Replies

• shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    eweadock wrote: »
    I do eat carbs, but avoid starches that my body seems to metabolize as sugar: potatoes, rice, pasta, bread...

THIS is the way to do it. Research has shown that sugar and the sugar in certain carbs, especially simple sugars like those in candy, pastries, etc.,stimulates pleasure centers in the brain and makes you powerfully crave more and more. It is NOT just a matter of willpower.

So should we avoid things that "stimulate pleasure centers in the brain", like kittens, hobbies, falling in love, mom, hot dogs and apple pie? Or is just the apple pie off the table?

I guess it's pleasure that's to blame? I'm so confused :sick: But one's thing is for sure - can't avoid moms. Tomorrow is Mother's Day :heart:
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I do eat carbs, but avoid starches that my body seems to metabolize as sugar: potatoes, rice, pasta, bread...

THIS is the way to do it. Research has shown that sugar and the sugar in certain carbs, especially simple sugars like those in candy, pastries, etc.,stimulates pleasure centers in the brain and makes you powerfully crave more and more. It is NOT just a matter of willpower.

So should we avoid things that "stimulate pleasure centers in the brain", like kittens, hobbies, falling in love, mom, hot dogs and apple pie? Or is just the apple pie off the table?

I guess it's pleasure that's to blame? I'm so confused :sick: But one's thing is for sure - can't avoid moms. Tomorrow is Mother's Day :heart:

Yes, it is mothers day tomorrow. I'm really dreading it :( my mom has moved on to her expensive gift phase.
  • adamitri
    Options
    Pu, I wonder if your situation was the same as mine and that might be the reason why you were still hungry and /or craving.

When I first started to lose weight I gave up cheese. Vermont has great cheese and it's yummy. I was over eating it with a lot of apples and grapes. My favorite combination of cheese and fruit. I had to let it go and slowly return it to my life after I learned a bit of control. When I first introduced it back it was very very very good, since I haven't had it for a while I really wanted more. I wanted to just take the whole block with me just like I used to do but I had more control not to.
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Carbs cause insulin levels to rise in your body, which in return make you eat more and gain weight. Carbs are horrible! You wanna see some fast weightloss? Just setyour carbs to 20% :D and you will be blown away :)
    stop
  • adamitri
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    adamitri wrote: »
    We can very well have a reasonable discussion about this. My point is that people are looking for something to blame, before it was fat, now it's carbs and even more sugar. Would you like to take a guess on what the next boogymen is going to be that makes us lose our senses and eat with no abandon?

And yes it does come down to exercising control. If you cannot control yourself around food then yes, reduce your intake and even let it go if you have to. I have no problem with low carb dieters if that helps them but what I don't like is the fear mongering that goes on.

Okay I agree with you that "demonizing" foods isn't correct. Personally, when my diet mostly consist of processed carbs. I am hungrier compared to if i ate keto. As I said in the past, I was lucky to even get in my calories on keto after a few weeks. I was coming in at 1,500-1,750 a day. I started to increase my carbs lately due to some supplements i am taking and to avoid hyopglycemia. Yet today I am closing in roughly at 3,000 calories. This is roughly Double the calories, compared to the keto i was doing. If someone is going to imply I am lacking "will power/self control" I would have also lacked it on the keto. Since the constant is myself. My self control doesn't become greater on keto compared to a higher carb diet. Frankly that doesn't make any sense.

About restricting, I don't see that as a viable means to long term weight loss. I exercised my "will power" down to a max loss of 192lbs. It was difficult. Yet I gained back 50lbs. Some might say, "well you're restricting carbs now, you need to exercise will power for that" which isn't true either, if you have no desire for them, then there is no issue.

You're still restricting, do you not eat any carbs at all now? Or do you watch your intake and try to stay close to your target?
  • adamitri
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    OP yes i learned the same thing. I increased my carbs these last few days due to some supplements I am taking. And I have been over my calories. I rarely go over my calories when I eat a keto based diet. I am over my calories because i ate some cheez-its, now i am still hungry. Maybe biological science doesn't exist and it's just bad luck.

And yet on days where I eat more carbs I manage to stick to my calorie allowance, and it's not because I'm suffering through unspeakable (or any) hunger. Go figure.

You should know n = 1 isn't valid for the general population. With all BS aside, in all honesty. As I said before, as I also said in my last post on this topic. Carbs aren't necessarily bad, It's the type of carbs, the more processed the carb the more likely you will over eat it. I highly doubt the majority of your carb source on your higher carb days is chips, donuts, hoho's etc..

"n=1" ??? I guess I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to blame anything and everything else and I can only blame myself. Woe is me :sad:

No, no, da ebil carbz made you do it. It's not your fault, you can't be held responsible.

Lead us not into temptation...

7xkov2e44ex7.jpg

That is well, that is wow... lol. I even love how they put limbo in there.
  • shifterbrainz
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    Pu, I wonder if your situation was the same as mine and that might be the reason why you were still hungry and /or craving.

When I first started to lose weight I gave up cheese. Vermont has great cheese and it's yummy. I was over eating it with a lot of apples and grapes. My favorite combination of cheese and fruit. I had to let it go and slowly return it to my life after I learned a bit of control. When I first introduced it back it was very very very good, since I haven't had it for a while I really wanted more. I wanted to just take the whole block with me just like I used to do but I had more control not to.

Deprivation makes me crazy. If I know I CAN'T have something, I want it even more. and when I get it - and I will always get it - I will eat way too much of it. The only answer is control the quantity.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

If you overindulge in the pleasure to the point that the pleasure is bad for you, i.e. gaining weight, then YES you should avoid it! Sheesh.
  • shifterbrainz
    Options
    OP yes i learned the same thing. I increased my carbs these last few days due to some supplements I am taking. And I have been over my calories. I rarely go over my calories when I eat a keto based diet. I am over my calories because i ate some cheez-its, now i am still hungry. Maybe biological science doesn't exist and it's just bad luck.

And yet on days where I eat more carbs I manage to stick to my calorie allowance, and it's not because I'm suffering through unspeakable (or any) hunger. Go figure.

You should know n = 1 isn't valid for the general population. With all BS aside, in all honesty. As I said before, as I also said in my last post on this topic. Carbs aren't necessarily bad, It's the type of carbs, the more processed the carb the more likely you will over eat it. I highly doubt the majority of your carb source on your higher carb days is chips, donuts, hoho's etc..

"n=1" ??? I guess I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to blame anything and everything else and I can only blame myself. Woe is me :sad:

No, no, da ebil carbz made you do it. It's not your fault, you can't be held responsible.

Lead us not into temptation...

7xkov2e44ex7.jpg

So it's not the donuts? It's the women tempting us with donuts!!!!
  • adamitri
    edited May 2015
    Options

If you overindulge in the pleasure to the point that the pleasure is bad for you, i.e. gaining weight, then YES you should avoid it! Sheesh.

So exercising control is a good thing to do. If you over indulge then exercise control and that's different for each person. Some people need to give it up completely and some people can have a little bit here and there but in the end the food didn't make us do it. We like food, we eat for enjoyment as well as nourishment. Eating is pleasurable. You can very well overeat on a low carb diet and overeating is what causes us to gain weight.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Carbs cause insulin levels to rise in your body, which in return make you eat more and gain weight. Carbs are horrible! You wanna see some fast weightloss? Just setyour carbs to 20% :D and you will be blown away :)

There is no such thing as a food that makes you eat more. You either eat or you don't.

If you're hungry, are you going to eat more or less of it?

I'm not going to eat anything just because my body is giving artificial hunger signals when it doesn't need anything. That was what got me overweight in the first place.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    When did carbs become the red headed step child?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I imagine you are right but what's in all comfort foods other than carbs? That's right, protein, fat and salt. You can try to eliminate anything that scares you or you can learn to deal with it in other ways. One of the biggest problems is that people who move to these extreme forms of restrictive diets are the ones who fear exercising (I'll make exceptions for medical conditions on that). If all you are doing to lose/control your weight is on the diet side you will have a rough go of it.
  • adamitri
    Options

There is no such thing as a food that makes you eat more. You either eat or you don't.

If you're hungry, are you going to eat more or less of it?

I'm not going to eat anything just because my body is giving artificial hunger signals when it doesn't need anything. That was what got me overweight in the first place.
    Artificial hunger signals... are just that. They're not real. Do you think they're going to go away or do you plan to be hungry the rest of your life? This is why a lot of people adopt a lower carb life style, one of the benefits is those artificial hunger signals aren't presents.

Are you saying they don't go away? Because they do, I had them badly when I first started reducing my intake and now not so much.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    terschia wrote: »
    LisaLydens - of course veggies are good carbs...low carb foods, good carbs. So I'm sure what you meant were the sweet carbs, the simple ones that are not good for us. Thank you for sharing.
    How are simple carbs not good for us? Lots of fruit are simple carbs. Milk sugar is a simple carb. Maltose is a simple carb.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    terschia wrote: »
    LisaLydens - of course veggies are good carbs...low carb foods, good carbs. So I'm sure what you meant were the sweet carbs, the simple ones that are not good for us. Thank you for sharing.
    How are simple carbs not good for us? Lots of fruit are simple carbs. Milk sugar is a simple carb. Maltose is a simple carb.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

image.png

This discussion has been closed.