Something I learned to avoid carbs

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Carbs cause insulin levels to rise in your body, which in return make you eat more and gain weight. Carbs are horrible! You wanna see some fast weightloss? Just setyour carbs to 20% :D and you will be blown away :)

Protein also causes insulin to spike should we avoid those as well?

Armed with this information I think I have an idea for the next popular diet. A diet that limits carb and protein to 20 grams each with lots of research to misinterpret and bend to fit my purposes. I'll start by bashing carbs, then by bashing low carb because it can contain too much protein, then I will cherry pick research that glorifies the benefits of fat, and bingo! I'll be laughing my way to the bank!

I really don't understand why people choose to get lost in unnecessary details when dieting is much simpler than some make it look. Just eat less than you burn and whichever strategy helps you do that with the least amount of grief is fine and dandy (be it moderation, low carb, elimination, the "apples are evil" diet...etc) without turning it into a whole manifesto of "facts" of the true and only weight loss religion.

So mote it be.

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »

ha you don't get it. You said it yourself but you don't see it. DEAL WITH THE ISSUE. The CAUSE, THE PROBLEM. Take proactive action to ELIMINATE the problem. IGNORING it does nothing. You can ignore hunger signals, but it solves nothing. What i am proposing is SOLVING the problem. So according to you I am not going to be successful at weight managment if I don't get false hunger signals? If I am constantly under my calories effortlessly? Ok.

Yes, the issue/problem is the desire to overeat, for whatever reason. Being overweight is merely a symptom of the problem. I have successfully dealt with this symptom several times over the course of my life by exercising willpower but the real issue never went away. As probably is the case for most people, hence most people statistically will gain back all the weight that they lost.

Nony_Mouse wrote: »

But by having a whole list of foods that you avoid you won't be able to say 'I eat whatever I want'. That's the whole point! I've had years-long stretches of maintaining my weight (at a healthy weight), and I certainly wasn't 'scheming and logging'. You learn to control your behaviour around food as you lose weight. If you don't do that, you're just going to end up back at Square One.

And what happened to you after those years-long stretches that you mentioned? I've had those too and eventually my willpower gave way a little bit (every single time by re-introducing desserts) and then a little bit more and a little bit more and...
  • PeachyCarol
    edited May 2015
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    Carbs cause insulin levels to rise in your body, which in return make you eat more and gain weight. Carbs are horrible! You wanna see some fast weightloss? Just setyour carbs to 20% :D and you will be blown away :)

There is no such thing as a food that makes you eat more. You either eat or you don't.

If you're hungry, are you going to eat more or less of it?

I'm not going to eat anything just because my body is giving artificial hunger signals when it doesn't need anything. That was what got me overweight in the first place.
    Artificial hunger signals... are just that. They're not real. Do you think they're going to go away or do you plan to be hungry the rest of your life? This is why a lot of people adopt a lower carb life style, one of the benefits is those artificial hunger signals aren't presents.
    Eating the same types of foods in the same ratios, i doubt they'd go away. e.g. just focusing on calories and not macros and not changing your dietary choices. From my personal experience, i have done a lot of stuff through my weight loss. But i do recall when i made poor dietary choices e.g. junk food, i was hungrier and I'd weight knuckle my calorie goal.

They do in fact subside but really who only fills their day with junk food?

Someone who is trying to make a point that "carbs" aren't the issue. It boils down to calories only. Which was my thinking a while ago. Yes a calorie deficit is a must for weight loss, but for long term weight loss, there is more to it than that.

There is no such thing as a food that makes you eat more. You either eat or you don't.

I'm not going to eat anything just because my body is giving artificial hunger signals when it doesn't need anything. That was what got me overweight in the first place.
    Artificial hunger signals... are just that. They're not real. Do you think they're going to go away or do you plan to be hungry the rest of your life? This is why a lot of people adopt a lower carb life style, one of the benefits is those artificial hunger signals aren't presents.

I ignore them, the same way I ignore commercial breaks on TV. It doesn't hurt, it's not a struggle, it's not torture, because I know for a fact I don't need any more food. Give it a try.
    Been there done that. You know what happens to people who "ignore" their hunger signals? They gain their weight back. It's not different than doing a starvation type diet. People usually end up binging and gaining the weight back. I did ignore it, i ignored it to lose 193lbs, then the weight started to come back. I knew it was getting out of control, i knew i was binging on processed carbs so i cut them out, wasn't hungry, and was losing effortlessly.

It's quite a bit different from a starvation diet. I'm not weak, tired, distracted, or having stomach pain because I haven't jumped up and raided the fridge every time I felt munchy. I'm fully nourished, I know I'm nourished, I feel nourished, and there isn't the slightest inclination to binge because I always have a little of something I enjoy, every single day.

I already demonstrated that an average high women has all her needs met on 900 calories a day, which of course is a starvation diet.

You said you get "false hunger signals" meaning you feel hungry, i do see this as an inclination to binge. But in all sincerity, i honestly hope what you believe is true for you, i frankly been in your shoes and it wasn't true for me.

I get "false hunger signals" with no inclination to binge. Boredom, stress, getting emotional.... I'm hungry! (no I'm not). I use willpower to not eat anything (let alone stuff my face), get on with something else and forget about food pretty quick.

SOrry wrong word, binging, "over eating" happy? If you're calorie goals are met, and you're hungry, you're "inclined" to over eat.. that's what hunger is, a desire for food.

No, not happy. Perhaps YOU are inclined to overeat because you can't control yourself, personally, I can say no to food and don't need to keep eating.

Lets break it down for you. "FALSE HUNGER SIGNALS"

False - not according with truth or fact; incorrect.
    "the test can produce false results"
    synonyms: incorrect, untrue, wrong, erroneous, fallacious, flawed, distorted, inaccurate, imprecise

Hunger - a feeling of discomfort or weakness caused by lack of food, coupled with the desire to eat.
    "she was faint with hunger"
    synonyms: lack of food, hungriness, ravenousness,

Signals - a gesture, action, or sound that is used to convey information or instructions, typically by prearrangement between the parties concerned.
    "the firing of the gun was the signal for a chain of beacons to be lit"
    synonyms: gesture, sign, wave, gesticulation, cue, indication, warning, motion

False hunger can be stated such as a incorrect instruction from the body that is accompanied by a desire to eat.

Question: why do you have the need to say "NO" ??? Doesn't sound like long term sustainable weight loss.

Because it's not real, physical hunger. It's psychological, and learning to tell the difference and being able to say no to false hunger/appetite is pretty damn key to long term weight management.

No, long term weight management is about being satisfied with what you're eating. Psychological hunger or not, it's still hunger regardless. You still want to eat in both cases. Success in the long term is about "not being hungry". Saying No to something is resistance, you're resisting hunger regardless if it's psychological or physical. What do you believe would be more sustainable, saying "No" to a food, or not having the desire to eat it in the first place?

It. goes. away.

Once you deal with your issues with food? I am dead serious about this. Until you, on a deep fundamental level really get that you are the one in control. Not the food. Not your hormones. What you put in your mouth? Once you GET that? Deep down?

It. goes. away.

• kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    you probably mean grain-based carbs (pasta/bread etc) and not all carbs since fruits/veggies etc are also a source of carbohydrates.
    that said, yes, there are benefits to cutting out or reducing starchy carbs like pasta but again, it all comes down to food choices. i do not eat grains but i make my own 'bread' and eat bean-based pasta and they are very good. i dont eat a lot of it but i do have some and have never gone over my caloric limit/target.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

Eating the same types of foods in the same ratios, i doubt they'd go away. e.g. just focusing on calories and not macros and not changing your dietary choices. From my personal experience, i have done a lot of stuff through my weight loss. But i do recall when i made poor dietary choices e.g. junk food, i was hungrier and I'd weight knuckle my calorie goal.

Someone who is trying to make a point that "carbs" aren't the issue. It boils down to calories only. Which was my thinking a while ago. Yes a calorie deficit is a must for weight loss, but for long term weight loss, there is more to it than that.

I ignore them, the same way I ignore commercial breaks on TV. It doesn't hurt, it's not a struggle, it's not torture, because I know for a fact I don't need any more food. Give it a try.
    Been there done that. You know what happens to people who "ignore" their hunger signals? They gain their weight back. It's not different than doing a starvation type diet. People usually end up binging and gaining the weight back. I did ignore it, i ignored it to lose 193lbs, then the weight started to come back. I knew it was getting out of control, i knew i was binging on processed carbs so i cut them out, wasn't hungry, and was losing effortlessly.

It's quite a bit different from a starvation diet. I'm not weak, tired, distracted, or having stomach pain because I haven't jumped up and raided the fridge every time I felt munchy. I'm fully nourished, I know I'm nourished, I feel nourished, and there isn't the slightest inclination to binge because I always have a little of something I enjoy, every single day.

I already demonstrated that an average high women has all her needs met on 900 calories a day, which of course is a starvation diet.

You said you get "false hunger signals" meaning you feel hungry, i do see this as an inclination to binge. But in all sincerity, i honestly hope what you believe is true for you, i frankly been in your shoes and it wasn't true for me.

I get "false hunger signals" with no inclination to binge. Boredom, stress, getting emotional.... I'm hungry! (no I'm not). I use willpower to not eat anything (let alone stuff my face), get on with something else and forget about food pretty quick.

SOrry wrong word, binging, "over eating" happy? If you're calorie goals are met, and you're hungry, you're "inclined" to over eat.. that's what hunger is, a desire for food.

No, not happy. Perhaps YOU are inclined to overeat because you can't control yourself, personally, I can say no to food and don't need to keep eating.

synonyms: incorrect, untrue, wrong, erroneous, fallacious, flawed, distorted, inaccurate, imprecise

Hunger - a feeling of discomfort or weakness caused by lack of food, coupled with the desire to eat.

Signals - a gesture, action, or sound that is used to convey information or instructions, typically by prearrangement between the parties concerned.

False hunger can be stated such as a incorrect instruction from the body that is accompanied by a desire to eat.

Question: why do you have the need to say "NO" ??? Doesn't sound like long term sustainable weight loss.

Because it's not real, physical hunger. It's psychological, and learning to tell the difference and being able to say no to false hunger/appetite is pretty damn key to long term weight management.

No, long term weight management is about being satisfied with what you're eating. Psychological hunger or not, it's still hunger regardless. You still want to eat in both cases. Success in the long term is about "not being hungry". Saying No to something is resistance, you're resisting hunger regardless if it's psychological or physical. What do you believe would be more sustainable, saying "No" to a food, or not having the desire to eat it in the first place?

It. goes. away.

Once you deal with your issues with food? I am dead serious about this. Until you, on a deep fundamental level really get that you are the one in control. Not the food. What you put in your mouth? Once you GET that? Deep down?

It. goes. away.

The symptom goes away, but does the problem (the desire to overeat) really go away? If it does, why do so many people rely on cheat days (i.e. controlled overeating) to keep them "sane" as they put it? Why do such people overeat on holidays or other occasions where they feel it's justified?

I don't think the problem has gone away in these cases, it's just lurking in the background and if it ever gets out of the cage again, look out.

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

ha you don't get it. You said it yourself but you don't see it. DEAL WITH THE ISSUE. The CAUSE, THE PROBLEM. Take proactive action to ELIMINATE the problem. IGNORING it does nothing. You can ignore hunger signals, but it solves nothing. What i am proposing is SOLVING the problem. So according to you I am not going to be successful at weight managment if I don't get false hunger signals? If I am constantly under my calories effortlessly? Ok.

Yes, the issue/problem is the desire to overeat, for whatever reason. Being overweight is merely a symptom of the problem. I have successfully dealt with this symptom several times over the course of my life by exercising willpower but the real issue never went away. As probably is the case for most people, hence most people statistically will gain back all the weight that they lost.

But by having a whole list of foods that you avoid you won't be able to say 'I eat whatever I want'. That's the whole point! I've had years-long stretches of maintaining my weight (at a healthy weight), and I certainly wasn't 'scheming and logging'. You learn to control your behaviour around food as you lose weight. If you don't do that, you're just going to end up back at Square One.

And what happened to you after those years-long stretches that you mentioned? I've had those too and eventually my willpower gave way a little bit (every single time by re-introducing desserts) and then a little bit more and a little bit more and...

Most recently, medical issues. Not that it's any of your business.
  • jodsaccount
    jodsaccount Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A lot of times the body will recognize dehydration as hunger pains. It is important that you drink your water. Especially when you are working out. A friend of mine who is a marathon runner says to her kids when they say they are hungry between meals drink a glass of water then tell me if you are hungry.
    So DRINK YOUR WATER.
    As for the low carb debate PU you need to do more research different bodies respond differently. I don't eat any processed carbs -lost 50 lbs last year doing this. No I didn't gain it back. Lower blood pressure , lower cholesterol- more energy. When I need to carb boost for a workout I limit to natural carbs--banana, broccoli etc.
    Yes it is a lifestyle not a diet. But lighten up just because you lost doing it your way doesn't debunk other ways of doing it.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Patently false. I had those artificial hunger signals on low carb. Mouth hunger for nuts, cheese, egg salad? I had it.

If you keep applying your N=1, I'll apply mine.

Pu, I'll say this without rancor. As long as you keep blaming things outside your control, including "insulin"? You're still not getting it, and you'll struggle. You have an unhealthy way of looking at things. You've lost a lot of weight, I'll give you that, but you've done it in what has been at times very unhealthy ways.
    I lost my weight "calorie counting" what you and others are recommending. Which I don't see it a viable means for the long term. I am not blaming insulin,carbs or any of that. I don't understand why people think I am. That's like saying, "most people here are blaming their weight gain on calories." Personal responsibility for action needs to be taken to be successful at this. I am taking my responsible actions by not eating certain foods. As others are limiting calorie intake. I am also not saying that processed carbs can't be part of a healthy diet either.

What I am focused is for people to have an easy, sustainable weight loss. My case isn't an N= 1 situation, when the studies I have posted above show what the problem is, as suggested, elevated levels of insulin cause an increase of calorie consumption, that low GI foods promote better satiety than hi GI foods.

Studies, schmudies... strawman. What are you arguing against with the GI? Context and dosage on types of carbs, Pu.

As for the bolded? It's nonsense. When you eat more, it causes an increase in calorie consumption.

There are a lot of hormones in your body Pu. Do you listen to the impulses you get from all of them all of the time?

• Chrysalid2014
    Options

And what happened to you after those years-long stretches that you mentioned?

Pardon me for asking then, but there's no need to get all huffy. I have medical issues that led to weight gain too, but CICO still applies, so at the end of the day I ate more than I needed, hence had "the desire to overeat" which is the root problem I'm talking about.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    It kind of amazes me that there are people unwilling to address the behavioural issues that lead them to overeat. I'm not saying it's easy, sometimes we're hiding some really nasty, painful stuff with food, but it's kind of important...
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    What actually happens is those desires for those foods go away. To eat those foods do nothing for me one way or another. There is no desire,inclination to eat them. They don't bring me the pleasure i used to get. As I said, they mean nothing to me.

You've hit the nail on the head. You don't want them any more.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

It. goes. away.

Once you deal with your issues with food? I am dead serious about this. Until you, on a deep fundamental level really get that you are the one in control. Not the food. What you put in your mouth? Once you GET that? Deep down?

It. goes. away.

The symptom goes away, but does the problem (the desire to overeat) really go away? If it does, why do so many people rely on cheat days (i.e. controlled overeating) to keep them "sane" as they put it? Why do such people overeat on holidays or other occasions where they feel it's justified?

I don't think the problem has gone away in these cases, it's just lurking in the background and if it ever gets out of the cage again, look out.

I'm not other people, so can't speak for them. I don't do cheat days and don't believe in them. I plan, because wiser voices than I have told me that I need to -- eat at maintenance once I've been dieting for about 6 months... for about a week or so -- to avoid adaptive thermogenesis. I've never been the type who cheats on diets.

When I quit smoking, I quit. I had a two pack a day habit, too.

I'm a tough cookie, I guess.

I've had a LONG ride getting to this point, where I am with moderate eating and exercise, though. I'm not saying it was easy to learn that I was in control. I'm not saying that it was an overnight thing for me. I did years of blaming foods, blaming my genes, blaming my biology.

I've learned differently. I know better now.

• Chrysalid2014
    Options

Pardon me for asking then, but there's no need to get all huffy. I have medical issues that led to weight gain too, but CICO still applies, so at the end of the day I ate more than I needed, hence had "the desire to overeat" which is the root problem I'm talking about.

I will make one amendment to this: CICO still applies, unless you have a medical condition called hypothalamic obesity, which is a living nightmare and proves that CICO does not work for absolutely everyone. Admittedly this is a rare condition, but I'm assuming you don't have that because there's no coming back from that one.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Pu, what is being referred to in this thread as "false hunger" is more appropriately called hedonic hunger. Look it up.

The bottom line? You don't need to give in to every desire you ever have. AND IT GOES AWAY OVER TIME.

Does it really go away? How you think i got down to my lowest, eating as much as i wanted of whatever? There have been countless times I denied myself of food. I did it for over 2yrs. Yet I started to gain again. This is why people relapse. I was on the verge of a massive relapse. Go look at people who have lost massive weight and gained it back. They couldn't lose the weight unless the deprived themselves of certain foods.

Chrysalid2014 said exactly what I have been trying to convey. I have said it in other topics. Calorie counting is a controlled environment. Once you deviate from calorie counting you will more than likely start gaining again. This is what happened to me. As I also suggested you can look at many others who have lost weight and gained it back. This is what I am trying to help people avoid.

Yes, it goes away. You haven't conquered your demons yet. It's apparent in everything you write.

Go slay some internal dragons son. You have work to do. Sorry to be blunt, but I don't know why it wasn't more evident to me until this point.

Regarding calorie counting being a controlled environment? SO WHAT? Wearing my eyeglasses is a controlled environment.

Calorie counting is a tool to control your portions. Nothing more, nothing less. I plan to do it to maintain, because I suck at eyeballing things. Just like I need my glasses to see, I need help gauging correct portion sizes to maintain an ideal weight for my frame. AND SO WHAT? Is it a problem that a handyman needs a hammer to bang in a nail? If calorie counting isn't for you? Great. No biggie. But don't project and try to make a "thing" out of your issues with it.

For every way of eating, there are people who regain weight. It's an invalid criticism of any type of eating plan to throw "weight regain" at it.

• Nony_Mouse
    Options

And what happened to you after those years-long stretches that you mentioned?

Yes, CICO still applies, duh. But when you don't even have the energy to get out of bed for any longer than it takes to pee and feed your cats most days, it tends not to be the first thing on your mind. And yes, I comfort ate because I was fricking miserable (and also pizza can be delivered to my door, it doesn't require a lot of energy to get). And then I got better and immediately set to losing that weight.

Other times I've gained a bit of weight, I've looked at why I'm eating that way. Sometimes I've just gotten lazy and an ordering out too much, so I cook more. Other times it's a comfort/avoidance thing, so I deal with the underlying issue.

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    @Chrysalid2014 Count calories and weigh/measure your food for the rest of your life because it is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE.

@Pu_239 Monitor your carb intake the rest of your life? Yes, if that is your LIFESTYLE CHANGE.

Once you deviate from counting calories/monitoring carbs you will likely start gaining again. Then it wasn't a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. You don't want to be fat anymore it takes a LIFESTYLE CHANGE to get you to lose weight and stay that way for the rest of your LIFE. It takes control, discipline, and a whole lot of effort. Get used to it or stay fat.

/end rant
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

Calorie counting is a tool to control your portions. Nothing more, nothing less. I plan to do it to maintain, because I suck at eyeballing things. Just like I need my glasses to see, I need help gauging correct portion sizes to maintain an ideal weight for my frame. AND SO WHAT? Is it a problem that a handyman needs a hammer to bang in a nail? If calorie counting isn't for you? Great. No biggie. But don't project and try to make a "thing" out of your issues with it.

Calorie counting or any kind of measured portion control is still just a method of controlling the desire to overeat, though. It hasn't removed the problem.

If someone doesn't have the desire to overeat there'd be no need for it. If they served themselves a too-large portion they would automatically stop eating when they'd physically had enough and leave the rest on the plate.

That's why a lot of people who do low carb say they don't count calories. Of course CICO still matters but that way of eating physically removes the desire to overeat, for them.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Thers some really bonkers thinking on this thread. Mostly newish poster who have yet to lose much. No problem with a low carb diet if thats your lifestyle change, but some of the thinking about carbs is mindbogling.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Thers some really bonkers thinking on this thread. Mostly newish poster who have yet to lose much. No problem with a low carb diet if thats your lifestyle change, but some of the thinking about carbs is mindbogling.

@999tigger THANK YOU!
  • BodyByBex
    Options

Pu, what is being referred to in this thread as "false hunger" is more appropriately called hedonic hunger. Look it up.

The bottom line? You don't need to give in to every desire you ever have. AND IT GOES AWAY OVER TIME.

Does it really go away? How you think i got down to my lowest, eating as much as i wanted of whatever? There have been countless times I denied myself of food. I did it for over 2yrs. Yet I started to gain again. This is why people relapse. I was on the verge of a massive relapse. Go look at people who have lost massive weight and gained it back. They couldn't lose the weight unless the deprived themselves of certain foods.

Chrysalid2014 said exactly what I have been trying to convey. I have said it in other topics. Calorie counting is a controlled environment. Once you deviate from calorie counting you will more than likely start gaining again. This is what happened to me. As I also suggested you can look at many others who have lost weight and gained it back. This is what I am trying to help people avoid.

Yes, it goes away. You haven't conquered your demons yet. It's apparent in everything you write.

Go slay some internal dragons son. You have work to do. Sorry to be blunt, but I don't know why it wasn't more evident to me until this point.

Regarding calorie counting being a controlled environment? SO WHAT? Wearing my eyeglasses is a controlled environment.

For every way of eating, there are people who regain weight. It's an invalid criticism of any type of eating plan to throw "weight regain" at it.
    I feel If I had issues with food, then dragons need to be slayed. I don't have any. This is also is inline with @Nony_Mouse comment. Maybe both of your issues are different than the issues you believe i have.

I am not trying to toot my own horn, but as I have mentioned, I have been over weight most of my life, been trying to lose weight since I was roughly 13yrs old, I am 33 now. After countless failed attempts, you think I didn't learn anything in over 20yrs of trial and error? My library is 90% books on diet and weight loss. Many of them are bad books, but they did was give me a learning experience.

I've been there in both of your situations. Well with the emotional eating thing... I am not sure if I can relate, maybe i call it something different yet we're both are talking about the same thing. Have I gained weight on low carb as mamapecahes has? Yes. This was due to the fact I simply lacked understanding of the subject.

As I said before, weight loss is a multifaceted issue. Psychological, emotional, genetics, dietary. I doubt that most people who came to MFP, didn't cut down on processed foods. There is a youtube video kind of long 2hrs i believe. It had the most popular diet authors. Atkins, Sears(The Zone), USDA, Obesity research people, the sugar buster guy, Dean Ornish, Mcdougull. The discussion started with Low carb, and it progressed through the carb guidelines of the authors. So it went from low carb, to high carbs, and everything in between. Of course they all disagreed on dietary choices. But 1 thing they all agreed on was to reduce the intake of refined carbs aka sugars.

Then I trust NONE of them because they ALL should have agreed on CICO as well.
This discussion has been closed.