Something I learned to avoid carbs

Options

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Carbs cause insulin levels to rise in your body, which in return make you eat more and gain weight. Carbs are horrible! You wanna see some fast weightloss? Just setyour carbs to 20% :D and you will be blown away :)

Protein also causes insulin to spike should we avoid those as well?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Carbs cause insulin levels to rise in your body, which in return make you eat more and gain weight. Carbs are horrible! You wanna see some fast weightloss? Just setyour carbs to 20% :D and you will be blown away :)

And you will gain it all right back the second you eat carbs. Sounds like a horrible long term plan for me. Good luck though. Everyone has their own way

Why, does CICO magically no longer work the instant someone eats a carb?

It does of course it does

However for many of us, talking from personal experience, the dramatic increase in scale weight due to replenishing of glycogen stores and associated water weight breaks the psychological barriers and you (I) end up eating more and putting on more weight than initially lost

Because it's a "trick" with the water weight manipulation at the start and relies on the will not to eat that macro which is just everywhere, I found I really didn't learn to not be on a carb-free / low-carb diet whereas with CICO it feels more like a learning curve ...the overall balance is easy to achieve even when I want pizza or a baked potato ...lack of that feeling of deprivation helps

Yes I know n=1 however I think many failed low carb dieters have the same issue
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    OP it has more to do with the type of carbs, carbs aren't necessarily the issue. The more processed it is, the more likely you will over eat it.

Just because that may be the case for you does not mean that's the case for everyone. Personal opinion is not science i'm afraid
  • intangiblemango
    intangiblemango Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    "I already demonstrated that an average high women has all her needs met on 900 calories a day, which of course is a starvation diet."

You calculated calories assuming she is eating LITERALLY ZERO CARBS. That means she is not eating things like vegetables or fruit, for one. If she is not doing that, she is not meeting her micros. Those are absolutely her nutritional needs. And getting enough fuel is also absolutely part of her nutritional needs.

Look, I'm pretty close to your hypothetical woman. I'm 5'6" and 130 lbs. I eat boatloads of carbs (and calories). And I need them to sustain my very heavy activity (triathlon + powerlifting + a job that doesn't involve sitting on my *kitten*). They are part of my fuel. If you gave me 900 calories, I would need to spend all day on the couch, napping.

People with healthy attitudes towards their weight are not eating 900 calories a day. They just aren't. Folks here aren't saying "exercise willpower" to someone eating 900 calories a day. People are saying that you can eat carbs (even *kitten* carbs!) in the way that fits into your diet. By exercising willpower.

Also, for the record, as someone at an "ideal weight", today I ate literally over three times the 900 calories of your hypothetical lady because that is what I need to meet MY nutritional needs.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »

There is no such thing as a food that makes you eat more. You either eat or you don't.

If you're hungry, are you going to eat more or less of it?

I'm not going to eat anything just because my body is giving artificial hunger signals when it doesn't need anything. That was what got me overweight in the first place.
    Artificial hunger signals... are just that. They're not real. Do you think they're going to go away or do you plan to be hungry the rest of your life? This is why a lot of people adopt a lower carb life style, one of the benefits is those artificial hunger signals aren't presents.
    Eating the same types of foods in the same ratios, i doubt they'd go away. e.g. just focusing on calories and not macros and not changing your dietary choices. From my personal experience, i have done a lot of stuff through my weight loss. But i do recall when i made poor dietary choices e.g. junk food, i was hungrier and I'd weight knuckle my calorie goal.

They do in fact subside but really who only fills their day with junk food?

Someone who is trying to make a point that "carbs" aren't the issue. It boils down to calories only. Which was my thinking a while ago. Yes a calorie deficit is a must for weight loss, but for long term weight loss, there is more to it than that.

There is no such thing as a food that makes you eat more. You either eat or you don't.

I'm not going to eat anything just because my body is giving artificial hunger signals when it doesn't need anything. That was what got me overweight in the first place.
    Artificial hunger signals... are just that. They're not real. Do you think they're going to go away or do you plan to be hungry the rest of your life? This is why a lot of people adopt a lower carb life style, one of the benefits is those artificial hunger signals aren't presents.

I ignore them, the same way I ignore commercial breaks on TV. It doesn't hurt, it's not a struggle, it's not torture, because I know for a fact I don't need any more food. Give it a try.
    Been there done that. You know what happens to people who "ignore" their hunger signals? They gain their weight back. It's not different than doing a starvation type diet. People usually end up binging and gaining the weight back. I did ignore it, i ignored it to lose 193lbs, then the weight started to come back. I knew it was getting out of control, i knew i was binging on processed carbs so i cut them out, wasn't hungry, and was losing effortlessly.

It's quite a bit different from a starvation diet. I'm not weak, tired, distracted, or having stomach pain because I haven't jumped up and raided the fridge every time I felt munchy. I'm fully nourished, I know I'm nourished, I feel nourished, and there isn't the slightest inclination to binge because I always have a little of something I enjoy, every single day.

I already demonstrated that an average high women has all her needs met on 900 calories a day, which of course is a starvation diet.

You said you get "false hunger signals" meaning you feel hungry, i do see this as an inclination to binge. But in all sincerity, i honestly hope what you believe is true for you, i frankly been in your shoes and it wasn't true for me.

I get "false hunger signals" with no inclination to binge. Boredom, stress, getting emotional.... I'm hungry! (no I'm not). I use willpower to not eat anything (let alone stuff my face), get on with something else and forget about food pretty quick.

SOrry wrong word, binging, "over eating" happy? If you're calorie goals are met, and you're hungry, you're "inclined" to over eat.. that's what hunger is, a desire for food.

No, not happy. Perhaps YOU are inclined to overeat because you can't control yourself, personally, I can say no to food and don't need to keep eating.

Lets break it down for you. "FALSE HUNGER SIGNALS"

False - not according with truth or fact; incorrect.
    "the test can produce false results"
    synonyms: incorrect, untrue, wrong, erroneous, fallacious, flawed, distorted, inaccurate, imprecise

Hunger - a feeling of discomfort or weakness caused by lack of food, coupled with the desire to eat.
    "she was faint with hunger"
    synonyms: lack of food, hungriness, ravenousness,

Signals - a gesture, action, or sound that is used to convey information or instructions, typically by prearrangement between the parties concerned.
    "the firing of the gun was the signal for a chain of beacons to be lit"
    synonyms: gesture, sign, wave, gesticulation, cue, indication, warning, motion

False hunger can be stated such as a incorrect instruction from the body that is accompanied by a desire to eat.

Question: why do you have the need to say "NO" ??? Doesn't sound like long term sustainable weight loss.

Because it's not real, physical hunger. It's psychological, and learning to tell the difference and being able to say no to false hunger/appetite is pretty damn key to long term weight management.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

Protein also causes insulin to spike should we avoid those as well?

Armed with this information I think I have an idea for the next popular diet. A diet that limits carb and protein to 20 grams each with lots of research to misinterpret and bend to fit my purposes. I'll start by bashing carbs, then by bashing low carb because it can contain too much protein, then I will cherry pick research that glorifies the benefits of fat, and bingo! I'll be laughing my way to the bank!

I really don't understand why people choose to get lost in unnecessary details when dieting is much simpler than some make it look. Just eat less than you burn and whichever strategy helps you do that with the least amount of grief is fine and dandy (be it moderation, low carb, elimination, the "apples are evil" diet...etc) without turning it into a whole manifesto of "facts" of the true and only weight loss religion.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    OP it has more to do with the type of carbs, carbs aren't necessarily the issue. The more processed it is, the more likely you will over eat it.

Just because that may be the case for you does not mean that's the case for everyone. Personal opinion is not science i'm afraid
    It's not a personal opinion it's scientific facts.

"Additionally, central administration of insulin antibodies increases food intake and body weight. "
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14749506

"In contrast, diets based on low-fat foods that produce a low glycemic response (low-GI foods) may enhance weight control because they promote satiety, minimize postprandial insulin secretion, and maintain insulin sensitivity. This hypothesis is supported by several intervention studies in humans in which energy-restricted diets based on low-GI foods produced greater weight loss than did equivalent diets based on high-GI foods. Long-term studies in animal models have also shown that diets based on high-GI starches promote weight gain, visceral adiposity, and higher concentrations of lipogenic enzymes than do isoenergetic, macronutrient controlled, low-GI-starch diets. In a study of healthy pregnant women, a high-GI diet was associated with greater weight at term than was a nutrient-balanced, low-GI diet. "
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12081852

The more processed a food is, usually the higher the GI index. Hence the less satiety, and a larger desire to over eat for the same caloric count. The more processed the food, the greater increase of insulin which usually results in a increase of food and body weight(according to the first study i posted)

Desire. Just because I desire something, it doesn't mean I get it (or eat it).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Patently false. I had those artificial hunger signals on low carb. Mouth hunger for nuts, cheese, egg salad? I had it.

If you keep applying your N=1, I'll apply mine.

Pu, I'll say this without rancor. As long as you keep blaming things outside your control, including "insulin"? You're still not getting it, and you'll struggle. You have an unhealthy way of looking at things. You've lost a lot of weight, I'll give you that, but you've done it in what has been at times very unhealthy ways.

• Nony_Mouse
    Options
    You're still ignoring caloric needs in this hypothetical nonsense of yours.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Eating the same types of foods in the same ratios, i doubt they'd go away. e.g. just focusing on calories and not macros and not changing your dietary choices. From my personal experience, i have done a lot of stuff through my weight loss. But i do recall when i made poor dietary choices e.g. junk food, i was hungrier and I'd weight knuckle my calorie goal.

Someone who is trying to make a point that "carbs" aren't the issue. It boils down to calories only. Which was my thinking a while ago. Yes a calorie deficit is a must for weight loss, but for long term weight loss, there is more to it than that.

I ignore them, the same way I ignore commercial breaks on TV. It doesn't hurt, it's not a struggle, it's not torture, because I know for a fact I don't need any more food. Give it a try.
    Been there done that. You know what happens to people who "ignore" their hunger signals? They gain their weight back. It's not different than doing a starvation type diet. People usually end up binging and gaining the weight back. I did ignore it, i ignored it to lose 193lbs, then the weight started to come back. I knew it was getting out of control, i knew i was binging on processed carbs so i cut them out, wasn't hungry, and was losing effortlessly.

It's quite a bit different from a starvation diet. I'm not weak, tired, distracted, or having stomach pain because I haven't jumped up and raided the fridge every time I felt munchy. I'm fully nourished, I know I'm nourished, I feel nourished, and there isn't the slightest inclination to binge because I always have a little of something I enjoy, every single day.

I already demonstrated that an average high women has all her needs met on 900 calories a day, which of course is a starvation diet.

You said you get "false hunger signals" meaning you feel hungry, i do see this as an inclination to binge. But in all sincerity, i honestly hope what you believe is true for you, i frankly been in your shoes and it wasn't true for me.

I get "false hunger signals" with no inclination to binge. Boredom, stress, getting emotional.... I'm hungry! (no I'm not). I use willpower to not eat anything (let alone stuff my face), get on with something else and forget about food pretty quick.

SOrry wrong word, binging, "over eating" happy? If you're calorie goals are met, and you're hungry, you're "inclined" to over eat.. that's what hunger is, a desire for food.

No, not happy. Perhaps YOU are inclined to overeat because you can't control yourself, personally, I can say no to food and don't need to keep eating.

synonyms: incorrect, untrue, wrong, erroneous, fallacious, flawed, distorted, inaccurate, imprecise

Hunger - a feeling of discomfort or weakness caused by lack of food, coupled with the desire to eat.

Signals - a gesture, action, or sound that is used to convey information or instructions, typically by prearrangement between the parties concerned.

False hunger can be stated such as a incorrect instruction from the body that is accompanied by a desire to eat.

Question: why do you have the need to say "NO" ??? Doesn't sound like long term sustainable weight loss.

Because it's not real, physical hunger. It's psychological, and learning to tell the difference and being able to say no to false hunger/appetite is pretty damn key to long term weight management.

No, long term weight management is about being satisfied with what you're eating. Psychological hunger or not, it's still hunger regardless. You still want to eat in both cases. Success in the long term is about "not being hungry". Saying No to something is resistance, you're resisting hunger regardless if it's psychological or physical. What do you believe would be more sustainable, saying "No" to a food, or not having the desire to eat it in the first place?

Oh dear god. You just don't get it. Learn to deal with the psychological hunger and it's no longer an issue. And it is not hunger. There is no physical need for food. Seriously, if this is your belief you are unlikely to ever be successful at long term weight management.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited May 2015
    Options

Really? What exactly is there besides developing healthy habits and a good mindset towards food?

No, you know what really happens when you ignore them over time and don't give in? They go away. It takes time and discipline. And being in tune with your body. Hunger isn't an emergency.

Binging isn't an inevitable behavior if you exercise self control. But you have to be the one taking responsibility for your behavior, and it's evident from your posts that you're blaming everything but yourself for your issues with food.

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

No, long term weight management is about being satisfied with what you're eating. Psychological hunger or not, it's still hunger regardless. You still want to eat in both cases. Success in the long term is about "not being hungry". Saying No to something is resistance, you're resisting hunger regardless if it's psychological or physical. What do you believe would be more sustainable, saying "No" to a food, or not having the desire to eat it in the first place?

Pu has an extremely good point. "Naturally lean" people don't spend their lives scheming and logging to control their food intake. When my thin friends say "I eat whatever I want", they mean it. The key is they just don't "want" too much in the first place. That is how I want to be.

I found this was also the key to quitting smoking after 20 years of failed "willpower" attempts, including stretches of 7 years abstinence at a time. I read a book that changed my way of thinking about smoking so I no longer thought of it as something pleasurable. So, as someone who has lost and regained significant amounts of weight several times using the "willpower"/"no food is bad" method, changing my way of thinking is going to be what's different this time.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    LisaLydens wrote: »
    this was a light bulb moment for me. A dietician told me to eat my protein first, then eat veggies so by the time I got to carbs I would likely be full & to stop when 80% full.

But Shepherd's Pie

You've reminded me that it's been far too long since I made this. Must rectify.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Holy false equivalency and projection of your own issues.

No. Just no. That's not what it is for everyone.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

No, she doesn't, because calories are part of one's daily nutritional needs. That statement of yours was a total fail.
    No, because nutrition is what DICTATES calories. Not the other way around. You have the logic backwards. THe nutritional requirements are met. Carbs are not essential, fat and proteins are.

BMR?

• KatherineChiu
    KatherineChiu Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    exactly
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Pu has an extremely good point. "Naturally lean" people don't spend their lives scheming and logging to control their food intake. When my thin friends say "I eat whatever I want", they mean it. The key is they just don't "want" too much in the first place. That is how I want to be.

I found this was also the key to quitting smoking after 20 years of failed "willpower" attempts, including stretches of 7 years abstinence at a time. I read a book that changed my way of thinking about smoking so I no longer thought of it as something pleasurable. So, as someone who has lost and regained significant amounts of weight several times using the "willpower"/"no food is bad" method, changing my way of thinking is going to be what's different this time.

But by having a whole list of foods that you avoid you won't be able to say 'I eat whatever I want'. That's the whole point! I've had years-long stretches of maintaining my weight (at a healthy weight), and I certainly wasn't 'scheming and logging'. You learn to control your behaviour around food as you lose weight. If you don't do that, you're just going to end up back at Square One.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Oh dear god. You just don't get it. Learn to deal with the psychological hunger and it's no longer an issue. And it is not hunger. There is no physical need for food. Seriously, if this is your belief you are unlikely to ever be successful at long term weight management.

I'm assuming you meant to say there is no psychological need for food.
    Your seem to be implying that dealing with a psychological issue is somehow easier than dealing with a physical one. If you believe that then you're the one that just doesn't get it.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited May 2015
    Options

Pu, what is being referred to in this thread as "false hunger" is more appropriately called hedonic hunger. Look it up.

The bottom line? You don't need to give in to every desire you ever have. AND IT GOES AWAY OVER TIME.

• Nony_Mouse
    edited May 2015
    Options

I'm assuming you meant to say there is no psychological need for food.
    Your seem to be implying that dealing with a psychological issue is somehow easier than dealing with a physical one. If you believe that then you're the one that just doesn't get it.

No, I meant when you have that psychological 'hunger' there is no physical need for food. And believe me, I get psychological when it comes to food. It's called an eating disorder. I got help and learnt to deal with my psychological and behavioural issues around food. This would be why I tend to have a problem with people demonising food.
This discussion has been closed.