Something I learned to avoid carbs

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Carbs cause insulin levels to rise in your body, which in return make you eat more and gain weight. Carbs are horrible! You wanna see some fast weightloss? Just setyour carbs to 20% :D and you will be blown away :)
    Protein also cause insulin to rise. So it must be horrible too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Carbs cause insulin levels to rise in your body, which in return make you eat more and gain weight. Carbs are horrible! You wanna see some fast weightloss? Just setyour carbs to 20% :D and you will be blown away :)

There is no such thing as a food that makes you eat more. You either eat or you don't.

If you're hungry, are you going to eat more or less of it?

I'm not going to eat anything just because my body is giving artificial hunger signals when it doesn't need anything. That was what got me overweight in the first place.
    Artificial hunger signals... are just that. They're not real. Do you think they're going to go away or do you plan to be hungry the rest of your life? This is why a lot of people adopt a lower carb life style, one of the benefits is those artificial hunger signals aren't presents.

I ignore them, the same way I ignore commercial breaks on TV. It doesn't hurt, it's not a struggle, it's not torture, because I know for a fact I don't need any more food. Give it a try.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as a food that makes you eat more. You either eat or you don't.

I'm not going to eat anything just because my body is giving artificial hunger signals when it doesn't need anything. That was what got me overweight in the first place.
    Artificial hunger signals... are just that. They're not real. Do you think they're going to go away or do you plan to be hungry the rest of your life? This is why a lot of people adopt a lower carb life style, one of the benefits is those artificial hunger signals aren't presents.
    Eating the same types of foods in the same ratios, i doubt they'd go away. e.g. just focusing on calories and not macros and not changing your dietary choices. From my personal experience, i have done a lot of stuff through my weight loss. But i do recall when i made poor dietary choices e.g. junk food, i was hungrier and I'd weight knuckle my calorie goal.

They do in fact subside but really who only fills their day with junk food?
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Eating the same types of foods in the same ratios, i doubt they'd go away. e.g. just focusing on calories and not macros and not changing your dietary choices. From my personal experience, i have done a lot of stuff through my weight loss. But i do recall when i made poor dietary choices e.g. junk food, i was hungrier and I'd weight knuckle my calorie goal.

Someone who is trying to make a point that "carbs" aren't the issue. It boils down to calories only. Which was my thinking a while ago. Yes a calorie deficit is a must for weight loss, but for long term weight loss, there is more to it than that.

For long term success it comes down to moderation. It comes down to learning that you can enjoy the things you love but not in the over abundant amount you used to have. It comes down to learning how to fill your life with all types of food and not just a singular set. It's learning when you're actually hungry and when you're just craving. Carbs aren't the issue for weight loss but if nutritionally it helps you stay in line then so be it. I tried low carb and unfortunately I was hungry and I could not maintain it. When I went back to moderation I was able to even out and.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »

Someone who is trying to make a point that "carbs" aren't the issue. It boils down to calories only. Which was my thinking a while ago. Yes a calorie deficit is a must for weight loss, but for long term weight loss, there is more to it than that.

I ignore them, the same way I ignore commercial breaks on TV. It doesn't hurt, it's not a struggle, it's not torture, because I know for a fact I don't need any more food. Give it a try.
    Been there done that. You know what happens to people who "ignore" their hunger signals? They gain their weight back. It's not different than doing a starvation type diet. People usually end up binging and gaining the weight back. I did ignore it, i ignored it to lose 193lbs, then the weight started to come back. I knew it was getting out of control, i knew i was binging on processed carbs so i cut them out, wasn't hungry, and was losing effortlessly.

It's quite a bit different from a starvation diet. I'm not weak, tired, distracted, or having stomach pain because I haven't jumped up and raided the fridge every time I felt munchy. I'm fully nourished, I know I'm nourished, I feel nourished, and there isn't the slightest inclination to binge because I always have a little of something I enjoy, every single day.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    When did carbs become the red headed step child?

Just wait for a decade or two. Protein will have its turn! Some research will surface that popular media will misinterpret and inflate, then you will see articles with pictures of powerlifters out of higher weight classes with subtitles like "the effects of excess protein".

The strategy itself makes sense though. There is a reason why dessert is usually the last course of the meal, to fill up on micronutrients first then indulge your senses with a bit of sweetness without going overboard. I just wonder what OP does in cases like pizza or quiche. Pick off pepperoni pieces and peel off the cheese, then lick off the sauce and eat the mushrooms and peppers, then eat the crust?
  • LoriAOliver
    LoriAOliver Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    LisaLydens wrote: »
    this was a light bulb moment for me. A dietician told me to eat my protein first, then eat veggies so by the time I got to carbs I would likely be full & to stop when 80% full.

Just wanted to congratulate you on having that moment that makes sense to, and works for you. Instead of demonizing what you said or trying to promote my way of eating as it appears others are doing, I would like to wish you luck on your weight loss journey and hope you reach and stay at your goal.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    this was a light bulb moment for me. A dietician told me to eat my protein first, then eat veggies so by the time I got to carbs I would likely be full & to stop when 80% full.

But Shepherd's Pie
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

But Shepherd's Pie

Yeah, don't you know... You scrape off the top, pick out the meat first, then eat the vegies in the meat mixture, but in order of carb density, then you get to eat the potato.

.... I honestly don't understand how people eat individual ingredients. You have a meal made up of things that go together and should be eaten together.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Been there done that. You know what happens to people who "ignore" their hunger signals? They gain their weight back. It's not different than doing a starvation type diet. People usually end up binging and gaining the weight back. I did ignore it, i ignored it to lose 193lbs, then the weight started to come back. I knew it was getting out of control, i knew i was binging on processed carbs so i cut them out, wasn't hungry, and was losing effortlessly.

It's quite a bit different from a starvation diet. I'm not weak, tired, distracted, or having stomach pain because I haven't jumped up and raided the fridge every time I felt munchy. I'm fully nourished, I know I'm nourished, I feel nourished, and there isn't the slightest inclination to binge because I always have a little of something I enjoy, every single day.

I already demonstrated that an average high women has all her needs met on 900 calories a day, which of course is a starvation diet.

You said you get "false hunger signals" meaning you feel hungry, i do see this as an inclination to binge. But in all sincerity, i honestly hope what you believe is true for you, i frankly been in your shoes and it wasn't true for me.

I get "false hunger signals" with no inclination to binge. Boredom, stress, getting emotional.... I'm hungry! (no I'm not). I use willpower to not eat anything (let alone stuff my face), get on with something else and forget about food pretty quick.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

I already demonstrated that an average high women has all her needs met on 900 calories a day, which of course is a starvation diet.

You said you get "false hunger signals" meaning you feel hungry, i do see this as an inclination to binge. But in all sincerity, i honestly hope what you believe is true for you, i frankly been in your shoes and it wasn't true for me.

No, she doesn't, because calories are part of one's daily nutritional needs. That statement of yours was a total fail.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    When did carbs become the red headed step child?

Just wait for a decade or two. Protein will have its turn! Some research will surface that popular media will misinterpret and inflate, then you will see articles with pictures of powerlifters out of higher weight classes with subtitles like "the effects of excess protein".

The strategy itself makes sense though. There is a reason why dessert is usually the last course of the meal, to fill up on micronutrients first then indulge your senses with a bit of sweetness without going overboard. I just wonder what OP does in cases like pizza or quiche. Pick off pepperoni pieces and peel off the cheese, then lick off the sauce and eat the mushrooms and peppers, then eat the crust?

No need to wait a decade for protein demonation. Animal sources of protein increase IGF-1 which is linked to a shorter life span, we die sooner. Thus the argument of many vegans. This also points out the beauty of "keto" it's "moderate" protein, for me 125g. Which is lower then the recommendations around here.

How much fat do you eat if you're only eating 125g protein?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

I get "false hunger signals" with no inclination to binge. Boredom, stress, getting emotional.... I'm hungry! (no I'm not). I use willpower to not eat anything (let alone stuff my face), get on with something else and forget about food pretty quick.

^^Exactly. It's learned behaviour, and you can unlearn it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Nah, the only thing that causes weight gain is eating too much in general. I lost 44 lbs eating oodles of carbs, and I've been maintaining for over a year eating more oodles of carbs.

Fast weight loss is another word for un-sustainability.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

No, she doesn't, because calories are part of one's daily nutritional needs. That statement of yours was a total fail.
    No, because nutrition is what DICTATES calories. Not the other way around. You have the logic backwards. THe nutritional requirements are met. Carbs are not essential, fat and proteins are.

So you're saying we don't have minimum calorie requirements for the body to perform the basics that keep us alive?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

SOrry wrong word, binging, "over eating" happy? If you're calorie goals are met, and you're hungry, you're "inclined" to over eat.. that's what hunger is, a desire for food.

No, not happy. Perhaps YOU are inclined to overeat because you can't control yourself, personally, I can say no to food and don't need to keep eating.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

And you will gain it all right back the second you eat carbs. Sounds like a horrible long term plan for me. Good luck though. Everyone has their own way

Why, does CICO magically no longer work the instant someone eats a carb?
This discussion has been closed.