Something I learned to avoid carbs

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Proteins make you feel satiated better than carbs. If you can control your appetite, why don't you? And then, veggies. Yes, they are carbs, but they are low in calories, rich in water and fiber. Again, important in controlling your appetite.
    Sugar, and a particular combination of sugar, salt and fat well known in the processed food industry, make you eat more. Sorry, but losing weight doesn't come in a one liner. You need ALL nutrients. For your own good, and for sake of your waistline, it helps to stay clear of processed food, also known as junk ;) But hey, it's all down to calories, so as long as you don't go over, you can eat what you like better.

I wonder what book you read?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Proteins make you feel satiated better than carbs.

For many people, by no means everyone.

How macros affect people varies, so the tiresome generalizations about how carbs make people hungry or protein (or fat) is satisfying really ought to stop.
    Sugar, and a particular combination of sugar, salt and fat well known in the processed food industry, make you eat more.

Nope. You control how much you eat. If there are various factors--such as what you eat, the combination, eating out of a bag, being too tired and putting yourself in the way of temptation, whatever--that make it easier for YOU to overeat, that's a good thing to know.

Eating some ice cream at night right after dinner NEVER makes me want to overeat. Eating off of a cheese plate with lots of different delicious cheese options always does, even if I ignore the crackers and eat only nuts with the cheese. So many people eat out of a bag of cookies or bowl of tortilla chips on a table or the like and seem surprised and blame the food when they don't naturally stop when full. It's mind boggling.

And again given the wide variety of processed foods (I put some feta in my omelet this morning!--and of course my eggs were in a carton, though from a farm, my mango was carted in from who knows where, and my cottage cheese was processed too, oh, and I had some spinach from a bag), generalizing about them as all being "junk" is bizarre.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    No, because nutrition is what DICTATES calories. Not the other way around. You have the logic backwards. THe nutritional requirements are met. Carbs are not essential, fat and proteins are.

Do you even Anatomy and Physiology, bro?
  • Floridanudist
    Floridanudist Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Think of body's energy needs as a funnel that is wide at the top and narrow at the bottom. All the energy your body needs is what can fit through the narrow, bottom end of the funnel, but you can fill the top of the funnel with energy that your body doesn't need right now, based on what you just ate. If that unneeded energy sits in your body for too long, your body stores it as fat. If you overfill the funnel, your body expends a bunch of energy to store this excess energy as fat. This process makes you hungry because the funnel has been emptied, by the natural energy burn of your body but mostly because the energy required for your body to convert your carbs into energy and then fat. There is a difference in natural and refined carbs. Natural carbs, like fruits and veggies, take some time for your body to break down and use as energy, so the funnel slowly gets filled and slowly drains out the bottom from the energy needs of your body. Refined carbs, like cupcakes and donuts, are broken down almost immediately by your body and the funnel gets full very quickly. Yet the size of the funnel bottom remains the same and as the rest of the funnel gets filled up, your body goes to work storing the excess energy as fat.

As a side note, your body is able to go back to the fat stores and turn them back into energy to fill the funnel to meet your body's energy needs. But your fat stores alone are generally not able to keep up with the needs of your body's energy funnel so you feel hungry when your body reverses this storage process and turns the fat into energy... it is just a trickle of energy available from fat being converted back into energy. That is why you cannot simply stop eating and why weight loss takes so much longer than weight gain.

Utter nonsense, but you just ensured that I'm adding cupcakes to my shopping list for the week. Trader Joe's has some banging gluten-free chocolate buttercream cupcakes.

Well then, by all means, keep eating. I'm just saying what a healthy body is doing with what you are putting inside it.

Yeah, no. Most of what you wrote was total bollocks.

So excess carbs are no longer turned into fat by your body? That's awesome news because I've been pretty fit for years by watching my carb intake... wastefully apparently!

Where's my cupcake!?!?! :smile:
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Think of body's energy needs as a funnel that is wide at the top and narrow at the bottom. All the energy your body needs is what can fit through the narrow, bottom end of the funnel, but you can fill the top of the funnel with energy that your body doesn't need right now, based on what you just ate. If that unneeded energy sits in your body for too long, your body stores it as fat. If you overfill the funnel, your body expends a bunch of energy to store this excess energy as fat. This process makes you hungry because the funnel has been emptied, by the natural energy burn of your body but mostly because the energy required for your body to convert your carbs into energy and then fat. There is a difference in natural and refined carbs. Natural carbs, like fruits and veggies, take some time for your body to break down and use as energy, so the funnel slowly gets filled and slowly drains out the bottom from the energy needs of your body. Refined carbs, like cupcakes and donuts, are broken down almost immediately by your body and the funnel gets full very quickly. Yet the size of the funnel bottom remains the same and as the rest of the funnel gets filled up, your body goes to work storing the excess energy as fat.

As a side note, your body is able to go back to the fat stores and turn them back into energy to fill the funnel to meet your body's energy needs. But your fat stores alone are generally not able to keep up with the needs of your body's energy funnel so you feel hungry when your body reverses this storage process and turns the fat into energy... it is just a trickle of energy available from fat being converted back into energy. That is why you cannot simply stop eating and why weight loss takes so much longer than weight gain.

Utter nonsense, but you just ensured that I'm adding cupcakes to my shopping list for the week. Trader Joe's has some banging gluten-free chocolate buttercream cupcakes.

Well then, by all means, keep eating. I'm just saying what a healthy body is doing with what you are putting inside it.

Well, of course I'll keep eating. I have no plans to starve to death.

What you wrote was nonsense. The thing is, eating any type of food is about context and dosage. When I get those cupcakes? I'll split one with my husband. They're pretty calorific, and I have a low calorie allowance. I'll fill my nutritional needs for the day with good food like cottage cheese and lentils and vegetables, get some exercise, and yes... have half cupcake at the end of the day.

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What actually happens is those desires for those foods go away. To eat those foods do nothing for me one way or another. There is no desire,inclination to eat them. They don't bring me the pleasure i used to get. As I said, they mean nothing to me.

You've hit the nail on the head. You don't want them any more.

Let's turn your your argument around then, shall we? According to you two, ignoring psychological hunger does not make the problem go away, but ignoring the foods you want to overeat does?
    In what world does that make sense?

Oh, what a good point.

Yeah. That is to say, cutting out the foods you want to overeat makes psychological hunger go away. Complete abstinence; then there's no mental debating about can I/can't I have it. You don't have it, you know you're not having it and there's no angst about it.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited May 2015
    Options

So excess carbs are no longer turned into fat by your body? That's awesome news because I've been pretty fit for years by watching my carb intake... wastefully apparently!

Where's my cupcake!?!?! :smile:

Only if they create a calorie surplus. In a deficit or at energy balance? Nope.

See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10365981
  • lemurcat12
    Options

So excess carbs are no longer turned into fat by your body?

Um, excess calories are. Your carb percentage doesn't matter to whether or not you have a net gain of fat unless it makes it more likely that YOU will overeat.

Lots of people find that reducing carbs makes it easy for them to keep calories in check.

(Given that carbs are not my primary weakness, I have a strong suspicion that this would not work for me longterm. Reducing carbs as well as other foods of course helps, as does increasing the amount I eat of some carbs, like fruits and veggies.)
  • Floridanudist
    Options

What you wrote was nonsense. The thing is, eating any type of food is about context and dosage. When I get those cupcakes? I'll split one with my husband. They're pretty calorific, and I have a low calorie allowance. I'll fill my nutritional needs for the day with good food like cottage cheese and lentils and vegetables, get some exercise, and yes... have half cupcake at the end of the day.

What you said is exactly how you should eat any refined carb. In small doses, so you don't fill the funnel. If you eat a donut all at once, a quarter of it will be used for current energy needs, maybe a quarter will be used to store the excess energy from the other half of the donut, which will be stored as fat (some people are really good at storing fat so nearly 3/4's of the donut may actually be stored as fat). The best way to eat a donut, depending on your body's current energy needs, would be for example to eat one quarter of the donut every 30 minutes. This slowly fills your energy funnel and more closely mimics the energy timing of a fruit or vegetable (a little bit of energy available over a longer duration).
  • Peloton73
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    It kind of amazes me that there are people unwilling to address the behavioural issues that lead them to overeat. I'm not saying it's easy, sometimes we're hiding some really nasty, painful stuff with food, but it's kind of important...

I agree 100%. Therapy was the one thing that started to make everything come together. I don't think I would've turned my life around without it.
  • Floridanudist
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Um, excess calories are. Your carb percentage doesn't matter to whether or not you have a net gain of fat unless it makes it more likely that YOU will overeat.

Lots of people find that reducing carbs makes it easy for them to keep calories in check.

(Given that carbs are not my primary weakness, I have a strong suspicion that this would not work for me longterm. Reducing carbs as well as other foods of course helps, as does increasing the amount I eat of some carbs, like fruits and veggies.)

Yes, thank you. I was being sarcastic because a previous poster suggested that my saying that excess carbs are stored as fat was total 'bollocks'.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    Peloton73 wrote: »
    No, because nutrition is what DICTATES calories. Not the other way around. You have the logic backwards. THe nutritional requirements are met. Carbs are not essential, fat and proteins are.

That's true. Carbs are not essential. What's your point?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    What actually happens is those desires for those foods go away. To eat those foods do nothing for me one way or another. There is no desire,inclination to eat them. They don't bring me the pleasure i used to get. As I said, they mean nothing to me.

Let's turn your your argument around then, shall we? According to you two, ignoring psychological hunger does not make the problem go away, but ignoring the foods you want to overeat does?

Oh, what a good point.

Yeah. Complete abstinence; then there's no mental debating about can I/can't I have it. You don't have it, you know you're not having it and there's no angst about it.

That's great. I'm glad you've found something that works for you. So the brownie the person is eating at the next table will have to be ignored? The pizza you smell walking by the pizza shop that gets your mouth watering?

I've actually been there where those things no longer tempted me. Of all things, oatmeal was my carb downfall.

It's the same with hedonic hunger. The desire for pleasure-sating passes.

You learn to realize it was JUST a desire for crunch, or to have the experience of a certain taste or combination of textures. You can easily talk yourself out of that. It's not an actual hunger.

• PeachyCarol
    edited May 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

You'd be surprised how womanly hormonal things can change your downfalls.

I used to be so into cheese. Sooooooo into it.

I've majorly lost my taste for eating it by itself since I hit menopause. It's so weird! I've lost my taste for chocolate too. I still like it, but it's not near as... compelling... as it used to be.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

What you said is exactly how you should eat any refined carb. In small doses, so you don't fill the funnel. If you eat a donut all at once, a quarter of it will be used for current energy needs, maybe a quarter will be used to store the excess energy from the other half of the donut, which will be stored as fat (some people are really good at storing fat so nearly 3/4's of the donut may actually be stored as fat). The best way to eat a donut, depending on your body's current energy needs, would be for example to eat one quarter of the donut every 30 minutes. This slowly fills your energy funnel and more closely mimics the energy timing of a fruit or vegetable (a little bit of energy available over a longer duration).

This is the silliest thing I've ever heard. Excess calories get stored as fat. Eating something slower is more pleasureable, but the timing of eating anything, or how you eat it, is much ado about nothing.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

That's great. I'm glad you've found something that works for you. So the brownie the person is eating at the next table will have to be ignored? The pizza you smell walking by the pizza shop that gets your mouth watering?

I've actually been there where those things no longer tempted me. Of all things, oatmeal was my carb downfall.

It's the same with hedonic hunger. The desire for pleasure-sating passes.

You learn to realize it was JUST a desire for crunch, or to have the experience of a certain taste or combination of textures. You can easily talk yourself out of that. It's not an actual hunger.

In that case I don't understand the half cupcake deal. If you have no desire for the pleasure it gives you why would you bother eating it at all?

About your other question, I'm trying to learn that I can enjoy the aroma of things without eating them. I like the smell of fresh cut grass, pine needles and decaying leaves too but I don't have any desire to put them in my mouth...
  • Peloton73
    Options
    Peloton73 wrote: »

That's true. Carbs are not essential. What's your point?

Homeostasis. Everytime you take away or add too much, your body has to adjust to keep homeostasis. This is basic college level A&P stuff. To make a blanket a statement of "carbs are not essential" is dangerous.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Still nonsense. You're ignoring energy balance. How the calories from that donut get stored depend entirely on its context in the person's overall diet and whether they are in an energy deficit/balance/surplus.

As for the eating 1/4 of it every 30 minutes? Yeah, no.

From the abstract I posted
    Similarly, addition of CHO to a mixed diet does not increase hepatic DNL to quantitatively important levels, as long as CHO energy intake remains less than total energy expenditure (TEE). Instead, dietary CHO replaces fat in the whole-body fuel mixture, even in the post-absorptive state. Body fat is thereby accrued, but the pathway of DNL is not traversed; instead, a coordinated set of metabolic adaptations, including resistance of hepatic glucose production to suppression by insulin, occurs that allows CHO oxidation to increase and match CHO intake. Only when CHO energy intake exceeds TEE does DNL in liver or adipose tissue contribute significantly to the whole-body energy economy. It is concluded that DNL is not the pathway of first resort for added dietary CHO, in humans.
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2015
    Options

Oh, what a good point.

Yeah. Complete abstinence; then there's no mental debating about can I/can't I have it. You don't have it, you know you're not having it and there's no angst about it.

That's great. I'm glad you've found something that works for you.

Well, so far.

I think the angsting in the absence of abstinence is a pretty bad sign.

Time will tell, of course, for all of us.

For me, even over the past year things go in and out. At first I was eating 1250 (or less) and not being tempted at all, even in periods of stress. Now I find that I'm tempted when stressed again and having to work through some issues that the excitement of weight loss and the honeymoon period that many experience when first focusing on their diet in a positive way has worn off. (I'm sure I can.)

I went back for a time to the more restrictive habits I had at the beginning (to get to 1250, although this time I ate more other stuff since I didn't want to be that low) and found that the reduction in carbs was actually counterproductive as I was feeling a lot more deprived at the same calories. I did better during Lent when I cut meat other than fish and ate proportionally more carbs, but that could be because I gave myself a religious rationale, who knows.

Similarly, I maintained weight at 120-25 for 5 years without much in the way of temptation and then I did not.

Food issues are so weird and complicated and psychological.
This discussion has been closed.