Something I learned to avoid carbs

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    You said it - that's not necessarily true. Fat storage can happen in a deficit. Visceral fat is one - another is not enough protein - you will lose muscle.

I DID! I went through extensive testing and it was determined early on in my weight loss that I was losing more muscle than fat, even in a deficit. The corrections I made restored the balance necessary for me to lose fat over muscle.
    The majority of people who have issues with excessive visceral fat are insulin resistant. For the general population that don't have this issue, they lose visceral and subcutaneous fat in calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I really don't get this "unless you eat low carb you are doomed to stay hungry" thing. It's working for you? Great. It does not mean everyone would have the same reaction. My personal experience with low carb for example (back when I got diagnosed with pre-diabetes) was one of starvation and deprivation, and I got rid of my pre-diabetes eating at least 60% of my calories from carbs losing about 90 pounds rarely being hungry once I learned how to manipulate my food intake.

Many countries where obesity is not very widespread have at least 50% of their calories from carbs (an average of 250 grams). In Madagascar for example more than 75% of the calories are carbs and less than 10% in protein and a maximum of 15% from fat, with lots of rice and tubers (starches) and honey (sugar) yet they have one of the lowest obesity rates in the world. Are whole countries walking around hungry? If you take an obesity map and a carb consumption map you will notice there isn't even the slightest correlation. Conversely, Iceland has one of the highest fat and protein consumption ratios and an average BMI in the overweight category. So why do some countries have an obesity problem and some don't? The answer is simple, the thinner countries' culture and environment has taught them to eat less calories and they perform more physical activity, while the cultures of heavier populations involve more calorie intake and in some cases less physical activity (in this example an average of 2130 daily calories in madagascar and an average of 3330 daily calories in iceland if we assume a close level of activity since both perform manual labor).

Yes, this.

I keep saying the problem with the SAD is not the macro ratios, which are within the wide range of ratios consistent with healthy traditional diets. But people want to have a scapegoat and right now carbs get to play that role.

We're all fat because: Cars and desk jobs.

Why not? It's part of it.

The problem really is? It's a LOT of reasons. Those are two of them. And anyone who tries to point the finger at just one or tries to reduce it all down to a sound bite like "processed foods are poison"? Isn't helping. Is clouding the issue for a lot of people by giving them a scapegoat. Is missing the point. Is ultimately failing to even address the point.

The other problem is that I tend to think that all of the potential factors involved are like a deck of cards, and people who are overweight each got dealt a different hand. We each need to learn to deal with the issues on every card we've been dealt, one by one. What's in my hand might be very different than what's in yours.

Ultimately, the solution is of course, CICO, but what makes us able to comply with it? That's a bit of a tangle.

Discussing one of those items doesn't necessarily mean you're discounting all the others, though. If we were restricted by this we'd never be able to discuss anything

Oh, I was thinking more of the blogging and media "experts". Not the people here.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I really don't get this "unless you eat low carb you are doomed to stay hungry" thing. It's working for you? Great. It does not mean everyone would have the same reaction. My personal experience with low carb for example (back when I got diagnosed with pre-diabetes) was one of starvation and deprivation, and I got rid of my pre-diabetes eating at least 60% of my calories from carbs losing about 90 pounds rarely being hungry once I learned how to manipulate my food intake.

Many countries where obesity is not very widespread have at least 50% of their calories from carbs (an average of 250 grams). In Madagascar for example more than 75% of the calories are carbs and less than 10% in protein and a maximum of 15% from fat, with lots of rice and tubers (starches) and honey (sugar) yet they have one of the lowest obesity rates in the world. Are whole countries walking around hungry? If you take an obesity map and a carb consumption map you will notice there isn't even the slightest correlation. Conversely, Iceland has one of the highest fat and protein consumption ratios and an average BMI in the overweight category. So why do some countries have an obesity problem and some don't? The answer is simple, the thinner countries' culture and environment has taught them to eat less calories and they perform more physical activity, while the cultures of heavier populations involve more calorie intake and in some cases less physical activity (in this example an average of 2130 daily calories in madagascar and an average of 3330 daily calories in iceland if we assume a close level of activity since both perform manual labor).

Yes, this.

I keep saying the problem with the SAD is not the macro ratios, which are within the wide range of ratios consistent with healthy traditional diets. But people want to have a scapegoat and right now carbs get to play that role.

We're all fat because: Cars and desk jobs.

Why not? It's part of it.

The problem really is? It's a LOT of reasons. Those are two of them. And anyone who tries to point the finger at just one or tries to reduce it all down to a sound bite like "processed foods are poison"? Isn't helping. Is clouding the issue for a lot of people by giving them a scapegoat. Is missing the point. Is ultimately failing to even address the point.

The other problem is that I tend to think that all of the potential factors involved are like a deck of cards, and people who are overweight each got dealt a different hand. We each need to learn to deal with the issues on every card we've been dealt, one by one. What's in my hand might be very different than what's in yours.

Ultimately, the solution is of course, CICO, but what makes us able to comply with it? That's a bit of a tangle.

Discussing one of those items doesn't necessarily mean you're discounting all the others, though. If we were restricted by this we'd never be able to discuss anything

Oh, I was thinking more of the blogging and media "experts". Not the people here.

Wow, too true. In my mind, those guys pretty much just have to follow the money. Sometimes I wonder how much of what they say, that they actually believe. "Toxins" are trending? Yep, let's do a segment about that. Low carb low fat whatever. Meanwhile if we choose not to be discerning, our lives hang in the balance while we chase trends promoted by someone just trying to make a buck
  • kellysdavies
    kellysdavies Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Check our Zoe Harcombe diet/book. Utterly changed my thinking on low calorie diets and utterly convinced me about low carb diets. After over a year on a low calorie diet (which initially worked using MFP) and then gradually only basically being able to eat 800 calories a day (short) to lose half a pound a week (with over a stone to go) this diet has changed my life and I've started losing weight again while eating at least double this amount and never feeling hungry. It's a bloody revelation. I was totally in the MFP a calorie is a calorie camp and now I am totally not. Now I understand the science and tried it myself and it flaming works. This video is how I got hooked http://youtu.be/goe3FmTSC1g and I am so happy I never have to count a calorie again...because MFP'ers a calorie is not a calorie after all.
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    But every cell in the human body requires glucose to function.. and carbs are the easiest source of this!! carbs = energy and fuel for the human being :) the most easily digested and passed through our long and complicated intestines are FRUIT !! :D watch freely the banana girl for inspo and more info on this. carb up and lose weight if you do it right
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Carbs cause insulin levels to rise in your body, which in return make you eat more and gain weight. Carbs are horrible! You wanna see some fast weightloss? Just setyour carbs to 20% :D and you will be blown away :)

And you will gain it all right back the second you eat carbs. Sounds like a horrible long term plan for me. Good luck though. Everyone has their own way
    Oh look, it's the magic carbs that defy the laws of CICO again. You can eat carbs day to day, and CICO applies. You can lower carbs, then raise them again, and like magic, CICO no longer exists. It's a miracle!!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    angeltilo wrote: »
    That's a good idea, Lisa. And I know you meant those heavy carbs like bread or rice, not veggies. :)

<3
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    But every cell in the human body requires glucose to function.. and carbs are the easiest source of this!! carbs = energy and fuel for the human being :) the most easily digested and passed through our long and complicated intestines are FRUIT !! :D watch freely the banana girl for inspo and more info on this. carb up and lose weight if you do it right

No, that is not true that every cells needs it to function.

And Freelee is pretty much the ignorant person on YouTube.

And now we've gone to banana girl being great? We've now entered the Twilight Zone.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Check our Zoe Harcombe diet/book. Utterly changed my thinking on low calorie diets and utterly convinced me about low carb diets. After over a year on a low calorie diet (which initially worked using MFP) and then gradually only basically being able to eat 800 calories a day (short) to lose half a pound a week (with over a stone to go) this diet has changed my life and I've started losing weight again while eating at least double this amount and never feeling hungry. It's a bloody revelation. I was totally in the MFP a calorie is a calorie camp and now I am totally not. Now I understand the science and tried it myself and it flaming works. This video is how I got hooked and I am so happy I never have to count a calorie again...because MFP'ers a calorie is not a calorie after all.

You were most likely in desperate need of a refeed after eating at deficit for so long. I'm not going to bother watching that video. You've now refed your body, adjusted your metabolism, and started losing again... which, if you had followed the advice around here, you'd have known about.

I remember you. You were eating dangerously low calorie for a long time, and never asked for help. You should NEVER have blithely gone below 1200 calories without asking for advice.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Check our Zoe Harcombe diet/book. Utterly changed my thinking on low calorie diets and utterly convinced me about low carb diets. After over a year on a low calorie diet (which initially worked using MFP) and then gradually only basically being able to eat 800 calories a day (short) to lose half a pound a week (with over a stone to go) this diet has changed my life and I've started losing weight again while eating at least double this amount and never feeling hungry. It's a bloody revelation. I was totally in the MFP a calorie is a calorie camp and now I am totally not. Now I understand the science and tried it myself and it flaming works. This video is how I got hooked http://youtu.be/goe3FmTSC1g and I am so happy I never have to count a calorie again...because MFP'ers a calorie is not a calorie after all.

Science fail.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Freelee, McDougall...

BINGO!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Carbs cause insulin levels to rise in your body, which in return make you eat more and gain weight. Carbs are horrible! You wanna see some fast weightloss? Just setyour carbs to 20% :D and you will be blown away :)

And you will gain it all right back the second you eat carbs. Sounds like a horrible long term plan for me. Good luck though. Everyone has their own way
    Oh look, it's the magic carbs that defy the laws of CICO again. You can eat carbs day to day, and CICO applies. You can lower carbs, then raise them again, and like magic, CICO no longer exists. It's a miracle!!!

She probably meant water weight.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Check our Zoe Harcombe diet/book. Utterly changed my thinking on low calorie diets and utterly convinced me about low carb diets. After over a year on a low calorie diet (which initially worked using MFP) and then gradually only basically being able to eat 800 calories a day (short) to lose half a pound a week (with over a stone to go) this diet has changed my life and I've started losing weight again while eating at least double this amount and never feeling hungry. It's a bloody revelation. I was totally in the MFP a calorie is a calorie camp and now I am totally not. Now I understand the science and tried it myself and it flaming works. This video is how I got hooked and I am so happy I never have to count a calorie again...because MFP'ers a calorie is not a calorie after all.

You were most likely in desperate need of a refeed after eating at deficit for so long. I'm not going to bother watching that video. You've now refed your body, adjusted your metabolism, and started losing again... which, if you had followed the advice around here, you'd have known about.

I remember you. You were eating dangerously low calorie for a long time, and never asked for help. You should NEVER have blithely gone below 1200 calories without asking for advice.

Well basically, it says people who eat more carbs have more energy available for use (duh?) and by some kind of magic that energy turns into fat making a woman eating 2000 calories gain weight while another woman eating the same amount but low carb to lose weight on the same calories because the body turns to body fat for energy (oh and that the calories theory violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics). Yep, you haven't missed much.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Likely why many 'dieters' fail, whether
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Why, does CICO magically no longer work the instant someone eats a carb?

It does of course it does

However for many of us, talking from personal experience, the dramatic increase in scale weight due to replenishing of glycogen stores and associated water weight breaks the psychological barriers and you (I) end up eating more and putting on more weight than initially lost

Because it's a "trick" with the water weight manipulation at the start and relies on the will not to eat that macro which is just everywhere, I found I really didn't learn to not be on a carb-free / low-carb diet whereas with CICO it feels more like a learning curve ...the overall balance is easy to achieve even when I want pizza or a baked potato ...lack of that feeling of deprivation helps

Yes I know n=1 however I think many failed low carb dieters have the same issue

I think all failed dieters have the same issue. Whether you restrict carbs or fat or calories or whatever.

It's not specific to carb restriction.

People fail at all different types of weight loss plans because they are unable to stick with it, the goal is to find a method that works for you to create a caloric deficit to lose weight and easily maintain.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Well basically, it says people who eat more carbs have more energy available for use (duh?) and by some kind of magic that energy turns into fat making a woman eating 2000 calories gain weight while another woman eating the same amount but low carb to lose weight on the same calories because the body turns to body fat for energy (oh and that the calories theory violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics). Yep, you haven't missed much.

Thanks for the summation. I like my brain. I wouldn't have wanted it to explode from being exposed to such high levels of derp.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Likely why many 'dieters' fail, whether
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Why, does CICO magically no longer work the instant someone eats a carb?

It does of course it does

However for many of us, talking from personal experience, the dramatic increase in scale weight due to replenishing of glycogen stores and associated water weight breaks the psychological barriers and you (I) end up eating more and putting on more weight than initially lost

Because it's a "trick" with the water weight manipulation at the start and relies on the will not to eat that macro which is just everywhere, I found I really didn't learn to not be on a carb-free / low-carb diet whereas with CICO it feels more like a learning curve ...the overall balance is easy to achieve even when I want pizza or a baked potato ...lack of that feeling of deprivation helps

Yes I know n=1 however I think many failed low carb dieters have the same issue

I think all failed dieters have the same issue. Whether you restrict carbs or fat or calories or whatever.

It's not specific to carb restriction.

People fail at all different types of weight loss plans because they are unable to stick with it, the goal is to find a method that works for you to create a caloric deficit to lose weight and easily maintain.

True dat. And for some people, that can be low carb.

And for some of them, they can even mindfully add back carbs (doesn't South Beach and Atkins allow for this) and still maintain weight.

The whole idea is taking responsibility for finding some way to control intake so you're eating at energy balance that's sustainable for you (when it comes to maintenance). No matter what your macro ratio ends up being.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Threads like this make my head hurt. Why do we try to make this crap so difficult.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I love carbs and I eat more of them than protein or fat. I don't cut out anything and I'm happy with my weight lose.
This discussion has been closed.