Something I learned to avoid carbs

Options

Replies

• kellysdavies
    kellysdavies Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    Product Description
    Let me guess... You've tried every diet under the sun; You've lost weight and put it all back on; The more you diet, the more you crave food; You have almost given up hope of being and staying slim. Do you want some good news? It's not your fault. You are not greedy or weak-willed. You've just been given totally the wrong advice. This is the first book to explain why traditional diets are the cause of the current obesity epidemic, not the cure. It shows that eating less leads to three extremely common physical conditions, which cause overeating. This book can change your life. The Harcombe Diet will help you lose weight & keep it off. There is absolutely nothing to count and you can have unlimited quantities of real food - carbs and fats. Count Calories and end up a food addict. Stop Counting Calories & Start Losing Weight! This book is for anyone who wants to lose weight. It is especially for those who want to lose weight so desperately that they can't think what they would like more than this. It is for anyone who doesn't need to lose weight, but who wants to stop feeling addicted to, and controlled by, food. It is for anyone who can't stick to a diet - especially for those who can't understand why. It is for anyone who has ever calorie counted, lost weight, put weight back on and/or put more back on than they first lost. It is for anyone who found Atkins worked, but can't bear the thought of having to avoid fruit, chocolate, bread and the 'good things in life' forever. It is for anyone who has food cravings, or feels addicted to food in some way. It is especially for people who have particular food cravings - for chocolate, bread, cereal, even salad dressing - all of these will be completely explained. It is for anyone who experiences unwelcome symptoms after meals - anything from bloating to feeling 'foggy'.

About the Author
    Zoë's passion is her vocation. Zoë spends her time researching and writing about obesity, diets and weight loss and she works exclusively in this field. She is author of the best selling book "Stop Counting Calories and Start Losing Weight", which was the follow-up to "Why do you overeat? When all you want is to be slim". The result of 20 years' research into the causes of overeating, Zoë's books go against traditional diet advice and are the first to address the three fundamental medical conditions that cause food cravings and therefore the compulsion to overeat. This understanding has helped thousands of people lose weight quickly, easily and healthily through The Harcombe Diet approach. During her teenage years Zoë suffered from both anorexia and bulimia, which she battled for several years before becoming the first person from her state school to graduate from Cambridge University. The early years of her career were then spent fighting food cravings to rival any drug addiction. Despite her illnesses and ongoing struggle with food, Zoë developed her career and achieved a number of high powered positions in the management consultancy, consumer goods, pharmaceuticals and telecommunications industries for blue chip organisations including Mars and SmithKline Beecham. During her 20's, Zoë suffered from all three of the physical conditions detailed in her books but no longer suffers from any of them and knows how to make sure they, and food cravings, never return. Zoë has now been free from food addiction for over 10 years and decided to put her years of experience and research onto paper, creating the heart-felt, revolutionary diet book, Why do you overeat?, followed by Stop Counting Calories & Start Losing Weight and the accompanying recipe book. She is now a full-time diet guru with a Diploma in Diet and Nutrition and a Diploma in Clinical Weight Management and spends her time advising clients, writing for newspapers and magazines, appearing as a diet expert on TV and radio, undertaking more research, and inspiring women and men world-wide. Zoë lives with her husband,

I'm gonna put my piece of cheese on the fact Zoe is way more educated on this than any of us are ...

Please stop advertising in this thread. You're starting to get to the point where you're sounding like a fanatic.

Lol. Well I am an advocate - as I was for CICO when I started and for a good year.... I was just trying to give some proper information.
    If I am a fanatic what does that make all the CICO'ers who are just as one minded (as I was!).
    All I'm saying is there are other options and people can still use MFP. Which is what this website is all about ...
  • kellysdavies
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    For me, it's just a preference. I know I have to eat at a deficit to lose weight. I prefer to do that with a reduced carb and high protein diet. It's what works best for me.

Harcombe diet would be perfect for you. And you won't need to eat at deficit. Total joy.

Oh no, to lose weight on any diet you need to eat at a deficit. There is no way around that.

WRONG. Because you believe all calories are equal. I was you too. I thought so too. I am living proof this is an invalid theory. There is a way around it. Happy I have found it.

• kellysdavies
    Options
    For me, it's just a preference. I know I have to eat at a deficit to lose weight. I prefer to do that with a reduced carb and high protein diet. It's what works best for me.

Harcombe diet would be perfect for you. And you won't need to eat at deficit. Total joy.

Oh no, to lose weight on any diet you need to eat at a deficit. There is no way around that.

Shhh don't talk sense, it's all magic and unicorns, you know that SLL.

Nah. Just understanding food and calories as a unit of measurement properly. While an inch is an inch, a calorie isn't always a calorie once it is in the body. No magic, no unicorns. Basics.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Check our Zoe Harcombe diet/book. Utterly changed my thinking on low calorie diets and utterly convinced me about low carb diets. After over a year on a low calorie diet (which initially worked using MFP) and then gradually only basically being able to eat 800 calories a day (short) to lose half a pound a week (with over a stone to go) this diet has changed my life and I've started losing weight again while eating at least double this amount and never feeling hungry. It's a bloody revelation. I was totally in the MFP a calorie is a calorie camp and now I am totally not. Now I understand the science and tried it myself and it flaming works. This video is how I got hooked and I am so happy I never have to count a calorie again...because MFP'ers a calorie is not a calorie after all.

You were most likely in desperate need of a refeed after eating at deficit for so long. I'm not going to bother watching that video. You've now refed your body, adjusted your metabolism, and started losing again... which, if you had followed the advice around here, you'd have known about.

I remember you. You were eating dangerously low calorie for a long time, and never asked for help. You should NEVER have blithely gone below 1200 calories without asking for advice.

Makes no sense. I'm loosing weight again yes. WITHOUT counting calories and eating around 2000 a day (couldn't resist putting them into the MFP)
    I didn't blithely go. My BMR and TDEE are very low anyway. I wasn't loosing weight because my body had adjusted to a VLCD so was storing whatever it could.
    I love how everyone can dismiss it when they haven't even tried it. Lol. Good one.
    What makes no sense? That he lost 3 times as much as you doing what you say didn't work?

What is this point meant to make? I LOST WEIGHT ON CICO.
    If I had lost 3 x what I did lose on CICO I would be less about 6 stone. Lol.
    It makes no sense (on your theory) that I had a refeed and am now losing weight again..... because this time I am not counting calories and eating over double what I was on CICO and am over a stone (well a bit more actually) lighter than when I first started CICO in March last year.
    You may have had more food than you did on any other diet and lost weight, but that is only because you had less calories overall.

It's dangerous territory to try and convince anyone, including yourself, that you can lose weight eating at a calorie surplus. You just happened to eat lower calorie foods in higher quantities, which put you in a deficit (because of the lower calorie foods).

You are not a special snowflake and you don't have the ability to defy science. Calories in/calories out is the only way to lose weight, even if you have a medical condition, which would require more trial and error to find your calorie deficit.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

WRONG. Because you believe all calories are equal. I was you too. I thought so too. I am living proof this is an invalid theory. There is a way around it. Happy I have found it.

So your saying that ingested energy can just disappear? That would imply that you're a black hole.
    So yes you are at a deficit, whether you acknowledge it or not.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Product Description
    Let me guess... You've tried every diet under the sun; You've lost weight and put it all back on; The more you diet, the more you crave food; You have almost given up hope of being and staying slim. Do you want some good news? It's not your fault. You are not greedy or weak-willed. You've just been given totally the wrong advice. This is the first book to explain why traditional diets are the cause of the current obesity epidemic, not the cure. It shows that eating less leads to three extremely common physical conditions, which cause overeating. This book can change your life. The Harcombe Diet will help you lose weight & keep it off. There is absolutely nothing to count and you can have unlimited quantities of real food - carbs and fats. Count Calories and end up a food addict. Stop Counting Calories & Start Losing Weight! This book is for anyone who wants to lose weight. It is especially for those who want to lose weight so desperately that they can't think what they would like more than this. It is for anyone who doesn't need to lose weight, but who wants to stop feeling addicted to, and controlled by, food. It is for anyone who can't stick to a diet - especially for those who can't understand why. It is for anyone who has ever calorie counted, lost weight, put weight back on and/or put more back on than they first lost. It is for anyone who found Atkins worked, but can't bear the thought of having to avoid fruit, chocolate, bread and the 'good things in life' forever. It is for anyone who has food cravings, or feels addicted to food in some way. It is especially for people who have particular food cravings - for chocolate, bread, cereal, even salad dressing - all of these will be completely explained. It is for anyone who experiences unwelcome symptoms after meals - anything from bloating to feeling 'foggy'.

About the Author
    Zoë's passion is her vocation. Zoë spends her time researching and writing about obesity, diets and weight loss and she works exclusively in this field. She is author of the best selling book "Stop Counting Calories and Start Losing Weight", which was the follow-up to "Why do you overeat? When all you want is to be slim". The result of 20 years' research into the causes of overeating, Zoë's books go against traditional diet advice and are the first to address the three fundamental medical conditions that cause food cravings and therefore the compulsion to overeat. This understanding has helped thousands of people lose weight quickly, easily and healthily through The Harcombe Diet approach. During her teenage years Zoë suffered from both anorexia and bulimia, which she battled for several years before becoming the first person from her state school to graduate from Cambridge University. The early years of her career were then spent fighting food cravings to rival any drug addiction. Despite her illnesses and ongoing struggle with food, Zoë developed her career and achieved a number of high powered positions in the management consultancy, consumer goods, pharmaceuticals and telecommunications industries for blue chip organisations including Mars and SmithKline Beecham. During her 20's, Zoë suffered from all three of the physical conditions detailed in her books but no longer suffers from any of them and knows how to make sure they, and food cravings, never return. Zoë has now been free from food addiction for over 10 years and decided to put her years of experience and research onto paper, creating the heart-felt, revolutionary diet book, Why do you overeat?, followed by Stop Counting Calories & Start Losing Weight and the accompanying recipe book. She is now a full-time diet guru with a Diploma in Diet and Nutrition and a Diploma in Clinical Weight Management and spends her time advising clients, writing for newspapers and magazines, appearing as a diet expert on TV and radio, undertaking more research, and inspiring women and men world-wide. Zoë lives with her husband,

I'm gonna put my piece of cheese on the fact Zoe is way more educated on this than any of us are ...

Please stop advertising in this thread. You're starting to get to the point where you're sounding like a fanatic.

Lol. Well I am an advocate - as I was for CICO when I started and for a good year.... I was just trying to give some proper information.
    If I am a fanatic what does that make all the CICO'ers who are just as one minded (as I was!).
    All I'm saying is there are other options and people can still use MFP. Which is what this website is all about ...

No, you're going on and on even when people tell you that they've found what works for them. You're more than just a fanatic, you're obsessive and it's starting to look quite like an unhealthy relationship you got going on there. If you're an advocate for this person then all I see in you is something that I want to stay far far far away from, less I become someone like you.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

• kellysdavies
    Options
    Check our Zoe Harcombe diet/book. Utterly changed my thinking on low calorie diets and utterly convinced me about low carb diets. After over a year on a low calorie diet (which initially worked using MFP) and then gradually only basically being able to eat 800 calories a day (short) to lose half a pound a week (with over a stone to go) this diet has changed my life and I've started losing weight again while eating at least double this amount and never feeling hungry. It's a bloody revelation. I was totally in the MFP a calorie is a calorie camp and now I am totally not. Now I understand the science and tried it myself and it flaming works. This video is how I got hooked and I am so happy I never have to count a calorie again...because MFP'ers a calorie is not a calorie after all.

You were most likely in desperate need of a refeed after eating at deficit for so long. I'm not going to bother watching that video. You've now refed your body, adjusted your metabolism, and started losing again... which, if you had followed the advice around here, you'd have known about.

I remember you. You were eating dangerously low calorie for a long time, and never asked for help. You should NEVER have blithely gone below 1200 calories without asking for advice.

Makes no sense. I'm loosing weight again yes. WITHOUT counting calories and eating around 2000 a day (couldn't resist putting them into the MFP)
    I didn't blithely go. My BMR and TDEE are very low anyway. I wasn't loosing weight because my body had adjusted to a VLCD so was storing whatever it could.
    I love how everyone can dismiss it when they haven't even tried it. Lol. Good one.
    What makes no sense? That he lost 3 times as much as you doing what you say didn't work?

It makes no sense (on your theory) that I had a refeed and am now losing weight again..... because this time I am not counting calories and eating over double what I was on CICO and am over a stone (well a bit more actually) lighter than when I first started CICO in March last year.
    You may have had more food than you did on any other diet and lost weight, but that is only because you had less calories overall.

It's dangerous territory to try and convince anyone, including yourself, that you can lose weight eating at a calorie surplus. You just happened to eat lower calorie foods in higher quantities, which put you in a deficit (because of the lower calorie foods).

You are not a special snowflake and you don't have the ability to defy science. Calories in/calories out is the only way to lose weight, even if you have a medical condition, which would require more trial and error to find your calorie deficit.

Defy science ... Lol... I wish you would read the book to understand why the 'totally accepted' science is so flawed. I don't need to convince myself - I have lost weight in a calorie surplus. I'm not lying! Lol. You will never believe this while you believe all calories are equal. That's okay. I understand. I was the same for ages. But you are absolutely wrong. 100%.

• SLLRunner
    Options

Oh my goodness....right. LOL, R.I.G.H.T.

No, dear, you don't lose weight eating at a calorie surplus. If that were true, then there would be no fat people.

You simply chose lower calorie foods and ate more of them, thus the quantity of food is more than what you were eating before.

I'm happy too that you found a way of eating that works for you, especially since you are eating way more food but less calories. Keep it up, that calorie deficit sounds like it's working well for you. ;)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Defy science ... Lol... I wish you would read the book to understand why the 'totally accepted' science is so flawed. I don't need to convince myself - I have lost weight in a calorie surplus. I'm not lying! Lol. You will never believe this while you believe all calories are equal. That's okay. I understand. I was the same for ages. But you are absolutely wrong. 100%.

Decades worth of metabolic ward studies say you're wrong. But, keep being a zealot, the parasitic diet industry feeds off people like you
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options

Just take my word for it! Everything Zoe says is the gospel and I've seen the light and so should you! OMG wait, you lost 50 something lbs eating in CICO where a calorie is an actual calorie. Explain that to me.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Oh, if only it were....

If only.....:)
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Nah. Just understanding food and calories as a unit of measurement properly. While an inch is an inch, a calorie isn't always a calorie once it is in the body. No magic, no unicorns. Basics.

100 calories of apple is the same as 100 calories of cake, except the cake will be a whole lot smaller than than the apple. Your body knows no difference, but your mind might.
  • kellysdavies
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

So your saying that ingested energy can just disappear? That would imply that you're a black hole.

Nope. Didn't suggest that. But energy is used in different ways. At least you recognise calories are just a unit of measurement which is energy.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options

I don't think you understand what CICO actually is. And no one is claiming all foods are created equal. For one protein has a greater thermic effect of food (TEF).

Also, there could have been many reason for you not to lose weight an assume you were maintaining on 1300 to 1400 calories per day. Accuracy and consistency of logging is generally the biggest issue. Medical issues could be another (especially PCOS with women).
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It isn't a diet which prevents carbs. You just don't eat carbs and fats together. One meal might be a carb meal (say porridge with a banana) one meal a fat meal (massive pork chop and all the crackling and loads of veg - you can have low carbs with fats (salad/veg etc).
    And you can eat cheese. All the time.
    It works! Amazing. Google the diet to find out more before you dismiss it.
    Why not? Why can't we eat fat and carbs together?
    To add to the prior question, why can you eat cheese....All the time?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Nope. Didn't suggest that. But energy is used in different ways. At least you recognise calories are just a unit of measurement which is energy.

So for what are all those extra fat and protein calories used in your body?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options

And if energy in < energy out, you lose weight, if energy in > energy out then you gain.
  • kellysdavies
    Options
    Product Description

About the Author

No, you're going on and on even when people tell you that they've found what works for them. You're more than just a fanatic, you're obsessive and it's starting to look quite like an unhealthy relationship you got going on there. If you're an advocate for this person then all I see in you is something that I want to stay far far far away from, less I become someone like you.

Oh grow up. Can't we share different views? Is there a rule on here that you can only discuss CICO positively and never mention any other possible way. You're the obsessed and fanatical ones! Lol.

This discussion has been closed.