Something I learned to avoid carbs

Options

Replies

• kellysdavies
    kellysdavies Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    For me, it's just a preference. I know I have to eat at a deficit to lose weight. I prefer to do that with a reduced carb and high protein diet. It's what works best for me.

Harcombe diet would be perfect for you. And you won't need to eat at deficit. Total joy.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Check our Zoe Harcombe diet/book. Utterly changed my thinking on low calorie diets and utterly convinced me about low carb diets. After over a year on a low calorie diet (which initially worked using MFP) and then gradually only basically being able to eat 800 calories a day (short) to lose half a pound a week (with over a stone to go) this diet has changed my life and I've started losing weight again while eating at least double this amount and never feeling hungry. It's a bloody revelation. I was totally in the MFP a calorie is a calorie camp and now I am totally not. Now I understand the science and tried it myself and it flaming works. This video is how I got hooked and I am so happy I never have to count a calorie again...because MFP'ers a calorie is not a calorie after all.

You were most likely in desperate need of a refeed after eating at deficit for so long. I'm not going to bother watching that video. You've now refed your body, adjusted your metabolism, and started losing again... which, if you had followed the advice around here, you'd have known about.

I remember you. You were eating dangerously low calorie for a long time, and never asked for help. You should NEVER have blithely gone below 1200 calories without asking for advice.

Makes no sense. I'm loosing weight again yes. WITHOUT counting calories and eating around 2000 a day (couldn't resist putting them into the MFP)
    I didn't blithely go. My BMR and TDEE are very low anyway. I wasn't loosing weight because my body had adjusted to a VLCD so was storing whatever it could.
    I love how everyone can dismiss it when they haven't even tried it. Lol. Good one.
    What makes no sense? That he lost 3 times as much as you doing what you say didn't work?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For me, it's just a preference. I know I have to eat at a deficit to lose weight. I prefer to do that with a reduced carb and high protein diet. It's what works best for me.

I think people should do what they find easiest. I found about 100 grams of carbs easier when I was doing lower calories and not exercising as much, since I just find carbs the easiest thing to cut (rice is boring, meat isn't IMO). But when I'm exercising a lot I do feel better eating more carbs.

I don't question the benefits of lowering carbs to people who like eating that way, I just get tired of the low carb evangelism and faux scientific claims as well as the bizarre conflation of low carb and eating "healthy," as if all of us who eat, say, 40% carbs are spending the day eating Twinkies and McDs.

I wish we could all have a truce, and avoid the tedious nonsense.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Why is it faddy? Have you actually read it? No. What silly rules? Why silly? You have no idea. You're making assumptions with no proper knowledge because you don't want to believe there *might* just be another way. Open your mind.
    I don't get what you mean about the 800 calorie thing?
    I was 10stone12. Goal weight 8stone10 (still upper end of the range for my height - could go down to 7stone10). I did TDEE for about a year. I got down to 9stone2. It worked! I was only on about 1300 cals a day but it worked. Over a year (maybe a bit more)
    Then it stopped working. My BMR and TDEE are very low as it is (I'm 5ft1, woman, 36). I didn't lose for 6 months. Yes I weighed everything. Yes I was accurate with my recordings. I sat it out. Then I reduced my calories to 1000 a day and I was lost about half a pound in 4 weeks. If that. This wasn't maintenance - I still had more to lose. To lose any more I'd have to go to 800 calories. Did I say I did ? NO. I didn't want to. I don't want to. It's ludicrous. So I started researching why this was and what I could do. Done this diet for a month and now down to 8stone13.
    So read posts properly before you make silly comments. Embarrassing yourself. Awkward.

I'm 5'1" and a lot older than you. I've read these boards enough to know there are no special snowflakes and to know this: You should have done a refeed instead of lowering your calories, you were probably experiencing adaptive thermogensis.

If you had simply kept to the foods you were eating, slowly upped your calories to what your maintenance levels were, eaten that way for a week or two, then gradually lowered them back down again? You would have started losing again.

Food combining is quite possibly one of the silliest diet concepts ever.

• kellysdavies
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Check our Zoe Harcombe diet/book. Utterly changed my thinking on low calorie diets and utterly convinced me about low carb diets. After over a year on a low calorie diet (which initially worked using MFP) and then gradually only basically being able to eat 800 calories a day (short) to lose half a pound a week (with over a stone to go) this diet has changed my life and I've started losing weight again while eating at least double this amount and never feeling hungry. It's a bloody revelation. I was totally in the MFP a calorie is a calorie camp and now I am totally not. Now I understand the science and tried it myself and it flaming works. This video is how I got hooked and I am so happy I never have to count a calorie again...because MFP'ers a calorie is not a calorie after all.

You were most likely in desperate need of a refeed after eating at deficit for so long. I'm not going to bother watching that video. You've now refed your body, adjusted your metabolism, and started losing again... which, if you had followed the advice around here, you'd have known about.

I remember you. You were eating dangerously low calorie for a long time, and never asked for help. You should NEVER have blithely gone below 1200 calories without asking for advice.

Makes no sense. I'm loosing weight again yes. WITHOUT counting calories and eating around 2000 a day (couldn't resist putting them into the MFP)
    I didn't blithely go. My BMR and TDEE are very low anyway. I wasn't loosing weight because my body had adjusted to a VLCD so was storing whatever it could.
    I love how everyone can dismiss it when they haven't even tried it. Lol. Good one.

@kellysdavies Can you please respond?

So what you're saying is that by eating fat and carbs together we will not be able to lose fat because our bodies are always burning carbs? So at no point in the day will our body tap into stored fat reserves for energy since we are in a caloric deficit? Does eating fat and carbs negate the laws of thermodynamics?

Can you explain to me why then was I able to lose the weight I wanted to (75 lbs) all without following that rule to not eat fat and carbs together?

All I can suggest is downloading Zoe's book to understand - there is WAY more to her theories and diet. I didn't say you won't lose weight with CICO - you will. Hey I did! I lost over a stone over a year. I was a dedicated MFP'er. I couldn't believe everyone else was so stupid and didn't realise it was basic CICO. Eat at deficit you morons. Duh! And then things changed when I realised I couldn't eat much to even maintain weight!

If want to do this forever and eat at a deficit forever - cool man. But it wasn't the lifestyle I wanted and I *still* hadn't got to target weight and the thought of how few calories I would be able to eat at maintenance made me sad. I can't do that forever. I don't want to. I don't personally think counting calories forever is a good way to enjoy food and living. But that's just me!

Harcombe diet would be perfect for you. And you won't need to eat at deficit. Total joy.

You're saying he can lose weight while in a caloric surplus?

Yes. Yes I can. Because not all calories are equal but 90% of you will never believe this because I didn't! I can't stress how devoted I was to this. I mocked people who thought otherwise. A bit like you all are now! Ha ha. Oh well. I've said my bit. We all make our choices. Just saying there *is* another way.
  • kellysdavies
    Options

What makes no sense? That he lost 3 times as much as you doing what you say didn't work?

What is this point meant to make? I LOST WEIGHT ON CICO.
    If I had lost 3 x what I did lose on CICO I would be less about 6 stone. Lol.
    It makes no sense (on your theory) that I had a refeed and am now losing weight again..... because this time I am not counting calories and eating over double what I was on CICO and am over a stone (well a bit more actually) lighter than when I first started CICO in March last year.

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Kelly, how much weight have you lost since starting the Harcombe thing?
  • kellysdavies
    Options
    Product Description
    Let me guess... You've tried every diet under the sun; You've lost weight and put it all back on; The more you diet, the more you crave food; You have almost given up hope of being and staying slim. Do you want some good news? It's not your fault. You are not greedy or weak-willed. You've just been given totally the wrong advice. This is the first book to explain why traditional diets are the cause of the current obesity epidemic, not the cure. It shows that eating less leads to three extremely common physical conditions, which cause overeating. This book can change your life. The Harcombe Diet will help you lose weight & keep it off. There is absolutely nothing to count and you can have unlimited quantities of real food - carbs and fats. Count Calories and end up a food addict. Stop Counting Calories & Start Losing Weight! This book is for anyone who wants to lose weight. It is especially for those who want to lose weight so desperately that they can't think what they would like more than this. It is for anyone who doesn't need to lose weight, but who wants to stop feeling addicted to, and controlled by, food. It is for anyone who can't stick to a diet - especially for those who can't understand why. It is for anyone who has ever calorie counted, lost weight, put weight back on and/or put more back on than they first lost. It is for anyone who found Atkins worked, but can't bear the thought of having to avoid fruit, chocolate, bread and the 'good things in life' forever. It is for anyone who has food cravings, or feels addicted to food in some way. It is especially for people who have particular food cravings - for chocolate, bread, cereal, even salad dressing - all of these will be completely explained. It is for anyone who experiences unwelcome symptoms after meals - anything from bloating to feeling 'foggy'.

About the Author
    Zoë's passion is her vocation. Zoë spends her time researching and writing about obesity, diets and weight loss and she works exclusively in this field. She is author of the best selling book "Stop Counting Calories and Start Losing Weight", which was the follow-up to "Why do you overeat? When all you want is to be slim". The result of 20 years' research into the causes of overeating, Zoë's books go against traditional diet advice and are the first to address the three fundamental medical conditions that cause food cravings and therefore the compulsion to overeat. This understanding has helped thousands of people lose weight quickly, easily and healthily through The Harcombe Diet approach. During her teenage years Zoë suffered from both anorexia and bulimia, which she battled for several years before becoming the first person from her state school to graduate from Cambridge University. The early years of her career were then spent fighting food cravings to rival any drug addiction. Despite her illnesses and ongoing struggle with food, Zoë developed her career and achieved a number of high powered positions in the management consultancy, consumer goods, pharmaceuticals and telecommunications industries for blue chip organisations including Mars and SmithKline Beecham. During her 20's, Zoë suffered from all three of the physical conditions detailed in her books but no longer suffers from any of them and knows how to make sure they, and food cravings, never return. Zoë has now been free from food addiction for over 10 years and decided to put her years of experience and research onto paper, creating the heart-felt, revolutionary diet book, Why do you overeat?, followed by Stop Counting Calories & Start Losing Weight and the accompanying recipe book. She is now a full-time diet guru with a Diploma in Diet and Nutrition and a Diploma in Clinical Weight Management and spends her time advising clients, writing for newspapers and magazines, appearing as a diet expert on TV and radio, undertaking more research, and inspiring women and men world-wide. Zoë lives with her husband,

I'm gonna put my piece of cheese on the fact Zoe is way more educated on this than any of us are ...
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I think people should do what they find easiest. I found about 100 grams of carbs easier when I was doing lower calories and not exercising as much, since I just find carbs the easiest thing to cut (rice is boring, meat isn't IMO). But when I'm exercising a lot I do feel better eating more carbs.

I don't question the benefits of lowering carbs to people who like eating that way, I just get tired of the low carb evangelism and faux scientific claims as well as the bizarre conflation of low carb and eating "healthy," as if all of us who eat, say, 40% carbs are spending the day eating Twinkies and McDs.

Agree. I don't assume what works best for me will work best for anyone else. I found low carb so helpful, but that doesn't mean it is the only or best way. Doesn't mean it's bunk either.

I'm calling a truce myself. I also am pretty okay with the interwebs disagreeing with me. As long as the scale and my doctor both give me a thumbs up, etc.

You got my vote! This is the attitude I wish a lot of people would take. I'm glad you found something that works for you and that you're doing great:)
  • kellysdavies
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Kelly, how much weight have you lost since starting the Harcombe thing?

6lb

• adamitri
    Options
    Product Description
    Let me guess... You've tried every diet under the sun; You've lost weight and put it all back on; The more you diet, the more you crave food; You have almost given up hope of being and staying slim. Do you want some good news? It's not your fault. You are not greedy or weak-willed. You've just been given totally the wrong advice. This is the first book to explain why traditional diets are the cause of the current obesity epidemic, not the cure. It shows that eating less leads to three extremely common physical conditions, which cause overeating. This book can change your life. The Harcombe Diet will help you lose weight & keep it off. There is absolutely nothing to count and you can have unlimited quantities of real food - carbs and fats. Count Calories and end up a food addict. Stop Counting Calories & Start Losing Weight! This book is for anyone who wants to lose weight. It is especially for those who want to lose weight so desperately that they can't think what they would like more than this. It is for anyone who doesn't need to lose weight, but who wants to stop feeling addicted to, and controlled by, food. It is for anyone who can't stick to a diet - especially for those who can't understand why. It is for anyone who has ever calorie counted, lost weight, put weight back on and/or put more back on than they first lost. It is for anyone who found Atkins worked, but can't bear the thought of having to avoid fruit, chocolate, bread and the 'good things in life' forever. It is for anyone who has food cravings, or feels addicted to food in some way. It is especially for people who have particular food cravings - for chocolate, bread, cereal, even salad dressing - all of these will be completely explained. It is for anyone who experiences unwelcome symptoms after meals - anything from bloating to feeling 'foggy'.

About the Author
    Zoë's passion is her vocation. Zoë spends her time researching and writing about obesity, diets and weight loss and she works exclusively in this field. She is author of the best selling book "Stop Counting Calories and Start Losing Weight", which was the follow-up to "Why do you overeat? When all you want is to be slim". The result of 20 years' research into the causes of overeating, Zoë's books go against traditional diet advice and are the first to address the three fundamental medical conditions that cause food cravings and therefore the compulsion to overeat. This understanding has helped thousands of people lose weight quickly, easily and healthily through The Harcombe Diet approach. During her teenage years Zoë suffered from both anorexia and bulimia, which she battled for several years before becoming the first person from her state school to graduate from Cambridge University. The early years of her career were then spent fighting food cravings to rival any drug addiction. Despite her illnesses and ongoing struggle with food, Zoë developed her career and achieved a number of high powered positions in the management consultancy, consumer goods, pharmaceuticals and telecommunications industries for blue chip organisations including Mars and SmithKline Beecham. During her 20's, Zoë suffered from all three of the physical conditions detailed in her books but no longer suffers from any of them and knows how to make sure they, and food cravings, never return. Zoë has now been free from food addiction for over 10 years and decided to put her years of experience and research onto paper, creating the heart-felt, revolutionary diet book, Why do you overeat?, followed by Stop Counting Calories & Start Losing Weight and the accompanying recipe book. She is now a full-time diet guru with a Diploma in Diet and Nutrition and a Diploma in Clinical Weight Management and spends her time advising clients, writing for newspapers and magazines, appearing as a diet expert on TV and radio, undertaking more research, and inspiring women and men world-wide. Zoë lives with her husband,

I'm gonna put my piece of cheese on the fact Zoe is way more educated on this than any of us are ...

Please stop advertising in this thread. You're starting to get to the point where you're sounding like a fanatic.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    Product Description

About the Author

Please stop advertising in this thread. You're starting to get to the point where you're sounding like a fanatic.

Starting?

• kellysdavies
    Options
    Why is it faddy? Have you actually read it? No. What silly rules? Why silly? You have no idea. You're making assumptions with no proper knowledge because you don't want to believe there *might* just be another way. Open your mind.
    I don't get what you mean about the 800 calorie thing?
    I was 10stone12. Goal weight 8stone10 (still upper end of the range for my height - could go down to 7stone10). I did TDEE for about a year. I got down to 9stone2. It worked! I was only on about 1300 cals a day but it worked. Over a year (maybe a bit more)
    Then it stopped working. My BMR and TDEE are very low as it is (I'm 5ft1, woman, 36). I didn't lose for 6 months. Yes I weighed everything. Yes I was accurate with my recordings. I sat it out. Then I reduced my calories to 1000 a day and I was lost about half a pound in 4 weeks. If that. This wasn't maintenance - I still had more to lose. To lose any more I'd have to go to 800 calories. Did I say I did ? NO. I didn't want to. I don't want to. It's ludicrous. So I started researching why this was and what I could do. Done this diet for a month and now down to 8stone13.
    So read posts properly before you make silly comments. Embarrassing yourself. Awkward.

I'm 5'1" and a lot older than you. I've read these boards enough to know there are no special snowflakes and to know this: You should have done a refeed instead of lowering your calories, you were probably experiencing adaptive thermogensis.

If you had simply kept to the foods you were eating, slowly upped your calories to what your maintenance levels were, eaten that way for a week or two, then gradually lowered them back down again? You would have started losing again.

Food combining is quite possibly one of the silliest diet concepts ever.

Tried that. Didn't work. I didn't just give up at the first hurdle. I was 6 months stuck. My maintenance calories were only something like 1300-1400. No thanks - not doing that forever!

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yeah, this. Especially what I've bolded.

The real irony in all of these discussions is that a lot of low-carbers would probably consider me a low carber by my carb count.

Do not get me started on the new elephant in the room, the GI.

• adamitri
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    adamitri wrote: »
    Product Description

About the Author

Starting?

I tuned out a little bit ago to go work on a broken computer lol. I'm just coming back into the fold.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Oh no, to lose weight on any diet you need to eat at a deficit. There is no way around that.
  • adamitri
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Oh no, to lose weight on any diet you need to eat at a deficit. There is no way around that.

Shhh don't talk sense, it's all magic and unicorns, you know that SLL.
This discussion has been closed.