Something I learned to avoid carbs

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »
    I love carbs and I eat more of them than protein or fat. I don't cut out anything and I'm happy with my weight lose.

Same here.. Feeling guilty for grabbing a tomato for a snack instead of cheese because I used too much onion in my arugula salad is a place I don't wish to go back to ever again.. That's not normal nor sane for me.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I love carbs and I eat more of them than protein or fat. I don't cut out anything and I'm happy with my weight lose.

Same here.. Feeling guilty for grabbing a tomato for a snack instead of cheese because I used too much onion in my arugula salad is a place I don't wish to go back to ever again.. That's not normal nor sane for me.

Yes, I can relate to that. It's very easy to go down a sort of low carb rabbit hole where you think if low is good even less is better. In the beginning I'd find myself not cooking with garlic, avoiding all fruit except for berries and perfectly good vegetables like potatoes and carrots trying to keep my carbs lower than they needed to be. It took some time and trial and error to figure out a sustainable diet I could truly enjoy -- worrying about the carbs in garlic wasn't it!

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Why were you ever doing this????? Assuming you were
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I was diagnosed with prediabetes (in addition to having PCOS) and everything I read lead to low carb. That salad had 9 net carbs (oh horror!) so eating that tomato with 3 more net carbs left me with 8 and it wasn't even noon yet. I remember it well because it was the day I had had enough after nearly 2 miserable months on keto.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

I was diagnosed with prediabetes (in addition to having PCOS) and everything I read lead to low carb. That salad had 9 net carbs (oh horror!) so eating that tomato with 3 more net carbs left me with 8 and it wasn't even noon yet. I remember it well because it was the day I had had enough after nearly 2 miserable months on keto.

Desperate times though, right? Or would you do it much differently if you had the same prognosis and had to do it all over again? Either way, glad you came out squeaky clean on the other side. Whew!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    The advice MAY be good for someone who wants to go low carb. But for some people (yes, I have been one of them) there is probably more of a tendency to "fill up" on the proteins and veggies (which I do love, by the way), and then just keep filling on the other carbs. It may even lead to eating more calories, and possibly more carbs, than if one enjoyed them together.

Yes, there really are people who have not learned (or who have unlearned) how to recognize and listen to the satiety signals that tell us when to stop. Or those who ignore them. That's why intuitive eating and other "tricks" like a smaller plate, a certain color of plate, eat foods in a certain order, eat every 2-3 hours, etc, don't really work for many people, at least in the absence of calorie counting.

CICO is really what rules weight changes. When it seems to fail, it's not the thermodynamics that failed, it is that there is something off in either CI or CO. For some people it's pretty easy and straightforward to calculate CO, for others, there are compounding factors. But really, if you gain weight, you are in a calorie (energy) surplus. If you lose weight you're in a deficit. Doesn't matter if those calories came from lean chicken, fruits, white bread, or pure sugar.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Carbs cause insulin levels to rise in your body, which in return make you eat more and gain weight. Carbs are horrible! You wanna see some fast weightloss? Just setyour carbs to 20% :D and you will be blown away :)

There is no such thing as a food that makes you eat more. You either eat or you don't.

If you are still hungry they will. When I ate bagels I'd be hungry very shortly after. If I eat an all protein breakfast with the same calories as a bagel it can satisfy me to 1pm.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    For example, on an average day a slice of pizza is no problem...on a stressed out or upset day, a slice of pizza is not about nourishing my body, but usually about something else. I make sure not to feed those impulses.

Sounds like you and I have some of the same issues, for sure.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

Desperate times though, right? Or would you do it much differently if you had the same prognosis and had to do it all over again? Either way, glad you came out squeaky clean on the other side. Whew!

I would not do it again even if if I had the same prognosis. After I quit I was still pre-diabetic (in fact I had a scare because right after re-introducing carbs I had readings that could be considered diabetic). After a little while things leveled off and about 50 pounds later my blood sugar inched into the normal range. Right now I have readings between 73 and 83, which is the lower range of normal. All I had to do was lose weight and exercise.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    It can't be denied that the American population has an obesity problem. The trend for body weight in Americans has increased over time. The common belief is that weight gain in Americans is due to dietary choices and lack of physical activity. Due to technological advances in food production, food is more convenient. Food are more processed than ever before. Processed foods require little to no cooking time. Processed foods appear to be the staple of the American diet. Processed foods are mostly refined carbohydrates. Type 2 diabetes was practically unheard of in children. In 2004 diabetes in children was 5%, that percentage has increased to 20%. 80% of children who are diabetic are over weight, and 40% of those are considered medically obese.

Americans are deviating farther and farther from whole foods. Dare I say foods with a higher GI index? Yes. The common answer to the obesity problem is "eat less, move more" But does it work? Moving more doesn't work for weight loss. Roughly 1900 people where examined who engaged in a 6 month or 12 month exercise program which consisted of moderate aerobic activity. Results? In 6 months or 12 months, the weight loss from exercise alone was roughly 3 pounds.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21787904

So the "exercise more" part in the "eat less exercise more" can be removed. That's not a viable means to help the obesity problem. All we're left with is, "eat less", things that help a person eat less are below.

Choose Lower GI Foods(reduce the intake of processed carbs)
    "We examine whether the consumption of low-glycemic index (GI) carbohydrates may facilitate a reduction in energy intake in obese people attempting to lose weight. Although data from long-term studies are lacking, short-term investigations indicate that consumption of low-GI carbohydrates may delay the return of hunger and reduce subsequent energy intake relative to consumption of higher-GI carbohydrates. While long-term research on GI and weight regulation is needed, current evidence suggests a potential role for low-GI carbohydrates in weight-reducing regimens."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12841427

Choose Foods that reduce elevated insulin levels(reduce the intake of processed carbs)
    Additionally, central administration of insulin antibodies increases food intake and body weight.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14749506

Increase protein (reduce the intake of processed foods)
    "It is well established that under most conditions, protein is more satiating than the isoenergetic ingestion of carbohydrate or fat (8, 11-13). This suggests that a modest increase in protein, at the expense of the other macronutrients, may promote satiety and facilitate weight loss through reduced energy consumption (20)."
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/5/1558S.long

I'm surprised there was any weight loss to be honest. It's very common to indulge on the premise that you've burned enough calories to allow for that. Little do people know that one candy bar can wipe off a 30 minute session of exercise.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited May 2015
    Options

I don't know how you incorporated keto, but it's possible you did it incorrectly. I know I have in the past.

It's not about doing it correctly or incorrectly, it's the fact that keto is a horrible choice for someone who really likes fruits, vegetables and grains and hates the taste of animal protein.

Edit: something funny I always joke about because it's true. I thought I liked burgers as an anomaly to not liking meat, but keto made me realize that in fact I don't like burgers, I like the way bread taste when it has a burger in it.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    It can't be denied that the American population has an obesity problem. The trend for body weight in Americans has increased over time. The common belief is that weight gain in Americans is due to dietary choices and lack of physical activity. Due to technological advances in food production, food is more convenient. Food are more processed than ever before. Processed foods require little to no cooking time. Processed foods appear to be the staple of the American diet. Processed foods are mostly refined carbohydrates. Type 2 diabetes was practically unheard of in children. In 2004 diabetes in children was 5%, that percentage has increased to 20%. 80% of children who are diabetic are over weight, and 40% of those are considered medically obese.

Americans are deviating farther and farther from whole foods. Dare I say foods with a higher GI index? Yes. The common answer to the obesity problem is "eat less, move more" But does it work? Moving more doesn't work for weight loss. Roughly 1900 people where examined who engaged in a 6 month or 12 month exercise program which consisted of moderate aerobic activity. Results? In 6 months or 12 months, the weight loss from exercise alone was roughly 3 pounds.

So the "exercise more" part in the "eat less exercise more" can be removed. That's not a viable means to help the obesity problem. All we're left with is, "eat less", things that help a person eat less are below.

"We examine whether the consumption of low-glycemic index (GI) carbohydrates may facilitate a reduction in energy intake in obese people attempting to lose weight. Although data from long-term studies are lacking, short-term investigations indicate that consumption of low-GI carbohydrates may delay the return of hunger and reduce subsequent energy intake relative to consumption of higher-GI carbohydrates. While long-term research on GI and weight regulation is needed, current evidence suggests a potential role for low-GI carbohydrates in weight-reducing regimens."

Choose Foods that reduce elevated insulin levels(reduce the intake of processed carbs)
    Additionally, central administration of insulin antibodies increases food intake and body weight.

"It is well established that under most conditions, protein is more satiating than the isoenergetic ingestion of carbohydrate or fat (8, 11-13). This suggests that a modest increase in protein, at the expense of the other macronutrients, may promote satiety and facilitate weight loss through reduced energy consumption (20)."

Spot on man. Very good post.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

In six or 12 months they only lost 3 lbs. But one thing we forget sometimes - in a lot of cases when we start a weight loss journey, we were actually still increasing in weight. In some cases I would theorize that if the process even resulted in maintenance, something good has happened. And here we have some weight loss. Rather underwhelming yes, but it's still something. Again, we're constantly bombarded with Biggest Loser style results that say if you're not losing dozens of pounds per week, you must not being doing it right. And then, let's not forget that the obesity issue is not about fatness alone, but all the ailments that tend to come along with it. Regular exercise can help alleviate some of those, regardless of weight loss

All that said you can't just take a study that examines exercise alone and conclude that exercise does nothing for weight loss. A fair comparison could be one group does diet only and the other group does both diet and exercise, with both groups focused on calorie intake reduction of a manageable sort

As for ways to eat less, I think the point from many posters is you could just eat less. To some extent, that's what I started doing when I realized my regular DQ dinners were easily like a thousand calories each. Uh... how about I just not do that? Oh wait, my hands actually work and I can make a satisfying dinner at home for way less calories. Or I can order a bit less stuff when I go to DQ or maybe just not go there as often. The strategies you have listed are viable ones but there's literally an infinite number of ways to eat less

• amusedmonkey
    edited May 2015
    Options

I don't know how you incorporated keto, but it's possible you did it incorrectly. I know I have in the past.

It's not about doing it correctly or incorrectly, it's the fact that keto is a horrible choice for someone who really likes fruits, vegetables and grains and hates the taste of animal protein.

I completely agree with that, It's not for everyone. For people in your situation, I'd more then likely point them towards something like vegan, where the majority of their calories comes from fruits and vegetables. I tried the vegan thing a while back and it wasn't for me.

Why does it need to be something with a label? I love dairy and beef stock and I see no reason to change what has worked for me without deprivation.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Carbs cause insulin levels to rise in your body, which in return make you eat more and gain weight. Carbs are horrible! You wanna see some fast weightloss? Just setyour carbs to 20% :D and you will be blown away :)

There is no such thing as a food that makes you eat more. You either eat or you don't.

If you are still hungry they will. When I ate bagels I'd be hungry very shortly after. If I eat an all protein breakfast with the same calories as a bagel it can satisfy me to 1pm.

The bagel didn't beat you up and force feed you more. You ate that yourself.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

In six or 12 months they only lost 3 lbs. But one thing we forget sometimes - in a lot of cases when we start a weight loss journey, we were actually still increasing in weight. In some cases I would theorize that if the process even resulted in maintenance, something good has happened. And here we have some weight loss. Rather underwhelming yes, but it's still something. Again, we're constantly bombarded with Biggest Loser style results that say if you're not losing dozens of pounds per week, you must not being doing it right. And then, let's not forget that the obesity issue is not about fatness alone, but all the ailments that tend to come along with it. Regular exercise can help alleviate some of those, regardless of weight loss

All that said you can't just take a study that examines exercise alone and conclude that exercise does nothing for weight loss. A fair comparison could be one group does diet only and the other group does both diet and exercise, with both groups focused on calorie intake reduction of a manageable sort

As for ways to eat less, I think the point from many posters is you could just eat less. To some extent, that's what I started doing when I realized my regular DQ dinners were easily like a thousand calories each. Uh... how about I just not do that? Oh wait, my hands actually work and I can make a satisfying dinner at home for way less calories. Or I can order a bit less stuff when I go to DQ or maybe just not go there as often. The strategies you have listed are viable ones but there's literally an infinite number of ways to eat less

That for one, and exercise helps in a dozen other health related ways than just increasing a deficit. Throwing it out like Pu said is not helping in any way.
  • kellysdavies
    kellysdavies Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It isn't a diet which prevents carbs. You just don't eat carbs and fats together. One meal might be a carb meal (say porridge with a banana) one meal a fat meal (massive pork chop and all the crackling and loads of veg - you can have low carbs with fats (salad/veg etc).
    And you can eat cheese. All the time.
    It works! Amazing. Google the diet to find out more before you dismiss it.
This discussion has been closed.