Something I learned to avoid carbs

Options

Replies

• kellysdavies
    kellysdavies Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Since it got pushed into page 12, I'll ask again in case you missed it for the 5th time....

What question do you want answered? I am not the scientist behind the diet - just someone who has tried it after a long time doing CICO and it is so far successful for me.

Really you're going to pretend you didn't see the questions? You even responded to the post by starting out saying "Yez, yes I can". Here I will post the sake questions for a 4th time.

So what you're saying is that by eating fat and carbs together we will not be able to lose fat because our bodies are always burning carbs? So at no point in the day will our body tap into stored fat reserves for energy since we are in a caloric deficit? Does eating fat and carbs negate the laws of thermodynamics?

No. I am not saying this. You will until a certain point. I am saying the body will always use energy from carbs first.

Can you explain to me why then was I able to lose the weight I wanted to (75 lbs) all without following that rule to not eat fat and carbs together?

Yes. For the same reason I was able to lose 1stone7lb on CICO then it stopped despite having probably another stone to go. Because I was starving it. Then my body got used to it and was like 'hang on. We need to start storing some of this'. It readjusted. All CICO work at first. I am not explaining this very well. It's like that American starvation experiment where after a certain point the men weren't losing at the same rate and some even maintaining.. Despite still eating same number of calories a day. According to the CICO theory they should have disappeared!

Are you also saying you can lose weight while being in a caloric surplus?

Yes. Not sure I can be any clearer on this answer?

SLLRunner wrote: »
    adamitri wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    For me, it's just a preference. I know I have to eat at a deficit to lose weight. I prefer to do that with a reduced carb and high protein diet. It's what works best for me.

Harcombe diet would be perfect for you. And you won't need to eat at deficit. Total joy.

Oh no, to lose weight on any diet you need to eat at a deficit. There is no way around that.

Shhh don't talk sense, it's all magic and unicorns, you know that SLL.

Nah. Just understanding food and calories as a unit of measurement properly. While an inch is an inch, a calorie isn't always a calorie once it is in the body. No magic, no unicorns. Basics.

100 calories of apple is the same as 100 calories of cake, except the cake will be a whole lot smaller than than the apple. Your body knows no difference, but your mind might.

The body uses 100 calories worth of carb very differently to 100 calories worth of fat. Not all calories are equal.

Why is that the same kind of cookie cutter answer all of you that pop in with these arguments use? Answer the questions and stop with the posts rambling.

Okay. I disagree. A 100 calories of apple is not the same as 100 calories of cake. The body will use the nutrients - or the bits that make them an apple or make them a cake - in different ways.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Since it got pushed into page 12, I'll ask again in case you missed it for the 5th time....

What question do you want answered? I am not the scientist behind the diet - just someone who has tried it after a long time doing CICO and it is so far successful for me.

Really you're going to pretend you didn't see the questions? You even responded to the post by starting out saying "Yez, yes I can". Here I will post the sake questions for a 4th time.

So what you're saying is that by eating fat and carbs together we will not be able to lose fat because our bodies are always burning carbs? So at no point in the day will our body tap into stored fat reserves for energy since we are in a caloric deficit? Does eating fat and carbs negate the laws of thermodynamics?

No. I am not saying this. You will until a certain point. I am saying the body will always use energy from carbs first.

Can you explain to me why then was I able to lose the weight I wanted to (75 lbs) all without following that rule to not eat fat and carbs together?

Yes. For the same reason I was able to lose 1stone7lb on CICO then it stopped despite having probably another stone to go. Because I was starving it. Then my body got used to it and was like 'hang on. We need to start storing some of this'. It readjusted. All CICO work at first. I am not explaining this very well. It's like that American starvation experiment where after a certain point the men weren't losing at the same rate and some even maintaining.. Despite still eating same number of calories a day. According to the CICO theory they should have disappeared!

For me, it's just a preference. I know I have to eat at a deficit to lose weight. I prefer to do that with a reduced carb and high protein diet. It's what works best for me.

Harcombe diet would be perfect for you. And you won't need to eat at deficit. Total joy.

Oh no, to lose weight on any diet you need to eat at a deficit. There is no way around that.

Nah. Just understanding food and calories as a unit of measurement properly. While an inch is an inch, a calorie isn't always a calorie once it is in the body. No magic, no unicorns. Basics.

100 calories of apple is the same as 100 calories of cake, except the cake will be a whole lot smaller than than the apple. Your body knows no difference, but your mind might.

The body uses 100 calories worth of carb very differently to 100 calories worth of fat. Not all calories are equal.

Why is that the same kind of cookie cutter answer all of you that pop in with these arguments use? Answer the questions and stop with the posts rambling.

Okay. I disagree. A 100 calories of apple is not the same as 100 calories of cake. The body will use the nutrients - or the bits that make them an apple or make them a cake - in different ways.
    How? And where does the energy go?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

You're right, nutritionally wise the apple and cake are different. But, calorie wise, the end result is the same.

In other words, eating 100 calories of an apple will not lead to weight loss, just as eating 100 calories of a piece of cake will not lead to weight gain.

I am proof of that, because I love my gooey sweet stuff, I just work hard to not eat over my TDEE by the end of the week (I use the weekly average rather than a daily average).

How do all these people on here--including me--eat ice cream, or indulge in sweet stuff, every day and still lose weight?
  • kellysdavies
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

WRONG. Because you believe all calories are equal. I was you too. I thought so too. I am living proof this is an invalid theory. There is a way around it. Happy I have found it.

So your saying that ingested energy can just disappear? That would imply that you're a black hole.
    So yes you are at a deficit, whether you acknowledge it or not.

She starved herself. For a long time period. I saw her for months talking about eating 1000 calories. And now she's saying 800.

She probably had a raging case of adaptive thermogenesis. She's even saying she thought her maintenance was 1300-1400. Not unless she's already super thin. Which would put her, if trying to lose more weight into some dangerous territory. To get 1300 for maintenance on Scooby's, I just plugged in 110 for weight. And she's lost 6 pounds from that. I forgot her exact age, I used 35.

Houston, we have a problem.

Yes you do have a problem. You can't read. I DID NOT EAT 800 calories. I am 5ft1, was 9stone3, age 36, my BMR was something like 1300. My TDEE maybe 1500 maybe a bit more. NOT ENOUGH for me. I can not sustain this. I did eat 1000 calories for a while because this was the most I could eat and still lose a tiny - ounces - of weight. Bearing in mind I could go down to around 7stone12 and still be in my healthy weight range. I would have had to go to 800 to lose weight without it taking 6 years or something stupid.
    Kelly, something is wrong with your calculations. Given your stats above, even at a desk job with little or no exercise, your TDEE is a little over 1800. If you add some moderate exercise in, it's 2086, and your TDEE goes up from there.

Even now, if you are 115 pounds (just a guess), your TDEE with no exercise is 1775, moderate exercise 1968.

Where did you get your numbers from?

Tended to use this one http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/ (not for the diet I might add!)27kck70ygnz5.jpg

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ^^^ That's with the sedentary no exercise option
  • SLLRunner
    Options

WRONG. Because you believe all calories are equal. I was you too. I thought so too. I am living proof this is an invalid theory. There is a way around it. Happy I have found it.

So your saying that ingested energy can just disappear? That would imply that you're a black hole.

She starved herself. For a long time period. I saw her for months talking about eating 1000 calories. And now she's saying 800.

She probably had a raging case of adaptive thermogenesis. She's even saying she thought her maintenance was 1300-1400. Not unless she's already super thin. Which would put her, if trying to lose more weight into some dangerous territory. To get 1300 for maintenance on Scooby's, I just plugged in 110 for weight. And she's lost 6 pounds from that. I forgot her exact age, I used 35.

Yes you do have a problem. You can't read. I DID NOT EAT 800 calories. I am 5ft1, was 9stone3, age 36, my BMR was something like 1300. My TDEE maybe 1500 maybe a bit more. NOT ENOUGH for me. I can not sustain this. I did eat 1000 calories for a while because this was the most I could eat and still lose a tiny - ounces - of weight. Bearing in mind I could go down to around 7stone12 and still be in my healthy weight range. I would have had to go to 800 to lose weight without it taking 6 years or something stupid.
    Kelly, something is wrong with your calculations. Given your stats above, even at a desk job with little or no exercise, your TDEE is a little over 1800. If you add some moderate exercise in, it's 2086, and your TDEE goes up from there.

Even now, if you are 115 pounds (just a guess), your TDEE with no exercise is 1775, moderate exercise 1968.

Tended to use this one http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/ (not for the diet I might add!)27kck70ygnz5.jpg

That calculator has me about 200 calories less than my actual TDEE rendered with Scooby's calculator. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I've lost 44 pounds and have been maintaining for well over a year. My diary is open.

I'd say that calculator is not accurate.
  • kellysdavies
    Options

You're right, nutritionally wise the apple and cake are different. But, calorie wise, the end result is the same.

In other words, eating 100 calories of an apple will not lead to weight loss, just as eating 100 calories of a piece of cake will not lead to weight gain.

Hmm. Slightly different argument that. I didn't say either of these things. But the net result of eating the two *is* different. Although actually Apples aren't that good as they cause an insulin surge which causes the cells to retain the fat in the same way as a cake does ... But I suspect less so! Accumatively over a long time I believe you would put on (or not lose as much at the same rate) weight eating nothing but cake for 100 days than you would eating nothing but Apples. But you won't or nobody else will believe this while you all believe a calorie is a calorie is a calorie ...

I am proof of that, because love my gooey sweet stuff, I just work hard to not eat over my TDEE by the end of the week (I use the weekly average rather than a daily average).

And yes I was proof too and I totally thought the same as you and ate cake while doing CICO.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

So you're sedentary? You do no exercise?
  • kellysdavies
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

And? I have a desk job.

• SLLRunner
    Options

And? I have a desk job.

I have a desk job as well.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

And? I have a desk job.

Just pointing out the facts. Don't worry, others will know what to do with them even if you don't. :)

And at least one time you opened up your diary a lot of people noted inconsistencies - did those ever get resolved to the point that anyone other than you felt you were logging accurately?
  • kellysdavies
    Options

Well I used CICO the entire way, you failed at it that's your flaw not the flaw of CICO.

You really have no clue how science works. No one on this board should listen to what you're saying because not only are you wrong when you give your stance but you don't even know how you got to the position because you are saying you can't even explain it. It's probably 100% likely that you can't explain it because you are blindly listening to that Zoe woman without questioning anything.

You don't know science.

On the contrary - I could say exactly the same about you! But I won't. I respect your views. I had the same ones. Hard to accept there is another way. Another theory. And more and better, newer science. Remember when eggs were bad for you..or fat was the killer and now it's sugar or smoking was 'good for your lungs'.. .. Yes he's let's just accept whatever we are told and never change our views or open our minds.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

So you're sedentary? You do no exercise?

Kelly, do you do any exercise outside of work?

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

You said, in reply to a post of mine suggesting you do a refeed at maintenance, that YOU DID THAT. If you ate 1300 and thought it was a refeed, it wasn't.

You're not paying attention to what I'm saying. You had adaptive thermogenesis. That's why your rate of loss slowed down. Your TDEE at those stats was around 1600 calories. You should have eaten up to that for a while... about 2 weeks if not more, then slowly backed down to eating about your BMR level. You would have resumed a normal rate of loss at that point.

What you've done now is nothing more than a refeed, just as I've outlined here.

Without presenting proof that you're eating in an actual energy surplus (especially since you only counted calories all of once), I frankly don't believe you, unless you have an undiagnosed underlying medical condition (in which case there really isn't an underlying energy surplus).

• kellysdavies
    Options

Well I used CICO the entire way, you failed at it that's your flaw not the flaw of CICO.

You really have no clue how science works. No one on this board should listen to what you're saying because not only are you wrong when you give your stance but you don't even know how you got to the position because you are saying you can't even explain it. It's probably 100% likely that you can't explain it because you are blindly listening to that Zoe woman without questioning anything.

You don't know science.

So on your theory I shouldn't blindly follow something and I should question it. Urm. So this is what happened with CICO...

• SLLRunner
    Options

You don't know science.

On the contrary - I could say exactly the same about you! But I won't. I respect your views. I had the same ones. Hard to accept there is another way. Another theory. And more and better, newer science. Remember when eggs were bad for you..or fat was the killer and now it's sugar or smoking was 'good for your lungs'.. .. Yes he's let's just accept whatever we are told and never change our views or open our minds.

Newer science?

Please provide peer-reviewed studies to back up your claims about CICO not mattering as to weight loss.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options

You don't know science.

Newer science?

Please provide peer-reviewed studies to back up your claims about CICO not mattering as to weight loss.

That's not Zoe.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

You don't know science.

Wanna have a look at some of the links I posted? All linking to things listing off exactly why that Zoe person doesn't know what she's talking about.
  • kellysdavies
    Options

You don't know science.

Newer science?

Well I kinda did but a) I got told off for advertising and being obsessive and b) nobody seems willing to at least read it instead choosing to completely dismiss it as even a possibility because it doesn't suit their current beliefs/own obsession.

This discussion has been closed.