what is the healthier choice besides soda for caffeine

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Diet pepsi caffeine free is amazing. Also Mio with carbonated diet water is awesome too!!

They were asking for drinks that had caffeine in them.
    seckard16 wrote: »
    Diet soda has artificial sugars in it that are just as bad as the regular soda. I use caffeine water or SPARK.

I have no idea what this means. The reason I usually avoid regular soda is because I don't think it is worth the calories. But diet soda has no calories. Why is this "just as bad"?

Because most have aspartame which could cause cancers. There's some other hippy mumbo jumbo also, but can't remember

This has never been proven in humans.
    I need some options

Maybe the big question is why do you think you need caffeine?

Some of us have jobs where bring tired is not an option.

I'm age, 59 up between 4:00 and 4:30 AM 5 days a week, go to bed at !0:00 PM, no naps, demanding corporate job 9-11 hrs a day), 90 minutes of commute time, work out 1.5-2 hours a day. Sleep 7.5 hours or so a night weekends, again no naps. My caffeine intake is maybe 1 diet Pepsi a month.

What are you up to?

Not making this a contest on who is up longer.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Chocolate covered coffee beans!
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee for my caffeine, but I always have even when I was not trying to lose weight. I used to drink coke occasionally if I went out to eat, now if I really want a soda I drink diet so I'm not getting empty calories. I'd rather eat food than worry about the artificial sweeteners in the MAYBE 1 diet coke I have per week.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I'm actually cutting my caffeine now... :bawling: one soda or coffee a day currently, no espresso (there go all of my lattes) :bawling::bawling::tired_face::triumph:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Fresh coffee, brewed tea, and diet Coke Zero. For me, mostly before mid-afternoon or my sleep will be affected.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thank goodness for imported mexican soda so I can get my sugar strait instead of dealing with HFCS or artificial sweeteners. When I want my sugar, I want the real thing!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Diet pepsi caffeine free is amazing. Also Mio with carbonated diet water is awesome too!!

Diet soda has artificial sugars in it that are just as bad as the regular soda. I use caffeine water or SPARK.

I have no idea what this means. The reason I usually avoid regular soda is because I don't think it is worth the calories. But diet soda has no calories. Why is this "just as bad"?

Because most have aspartame which could cause cancers. There's some other hippy mumbo jumbo also, but can't remember

I need some options

I'm age, 59 up between 4:00 and 4:30 AM 5 days a week, go to bed at !0:00 PM, no naps, demanding corporate job 9-11 hrs a day), 90 minutes of commute time, work out 1.5-2 hours a day. Sleep 7.5 hours or so a night weekends, again no naps. My caffeine intake is maybe 1 diet Pepsi a month.

What are you up to?

Neil-deGrasse-Tyson-we-got-a-badass-over-here-animated.gif
  • tehsalsa
    tehsalsa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners may make you crave real sugar, so while zero-calorie soda options are good for a treat, they can make it harder to stick to your diet. They also may contribute as causative factors to type II diabetes and metabolic syndrome : Harvard study link, The Doctor Will See You Now link. There's plenty of evidence saying that artificial sweeteners aren't good for you or your diet.

As for a caffeine replacement, try tea! It has near zero calories and tastes good without anything extra in it. Black coffee is also extremely low-calorie but IMO it doesn't taste very nice without a little milk in it.
  • Eidaortiz
    Eidaortiz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    People say green tea is good to help loose weight, I'm going to start drinking green tea because I also love coffee and Pepsi but got to substitute if I want to loose weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Chocolate covered coffee beans!

I just impulse bought some of these, when getting coffee.

Anyway, my personal answer is coffee, which I love so very much, or tea.

Diet soda is probably healthier, though, as it has less caffeine and IME isn't as easy to go overboard on. ;-)
  • elphie754
    Options
    Eidaortiz wrote: »
    People say green tea is good to help loose weight, I'm going to start drinking green tea because I also love coffee and Pepsi but got to substitute if I want to loose weight.

Why do you have to substitute it? And no, green tea will not help you lose weight
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Coffee and tea (hot or cold) are the healthiest choices, whether you're on a weight loss diet or not.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Iced Tea...black or Green, both have caffeine and zero calories...unless you add sugar of course! :smile:
    Most restaurants have iced tea but sometimes the default is sweetened so make sure and ask!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I go with coffee because it's a) warm b) satisfying when you just feel a bit peckish and c) it's only staining my teeth rather than contributing to enamel erosion, which seems the lesser evil.

Plus I have a collection of sassy mugs to drink it from. B)
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I gave up sodas 2 1/2 years ago & I have been coffee & caffeine free since Dec. I have never slept better since I have given these up. I drink Kombucha daily & Kombucha Soda (for a treat).
  • elphie754
    Options
    I gave up sodas 2 1/2 years ago & I have been coffee & caffeine free since Dec. I have never slept better since I have given these up. I drink Kombucha daily & Kombucha Soda (for a treat).

Not everyone needs to give up caffeine. I drink it daily and it does not impact my sleep at all.
  • 213tim
    213tim Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I need some options

What are you up to?

AMEN!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    tehsalsa wrote: »
    Artificial sweeteners may make you crave real sugar, so while zero-calorie soda options are good for a treat, they can make it harder to stick to your diet. They also may contribute as causative factors to type II diabetes and metabolic syndrome : Harvard study link, The Doctor Will See You Now link. There's plenty of evidence saying that artificial sweeteners aren't good for you or your diet.

Disagree! When I'm out of calories at the end of the day, I have a diet soda to satisfy my craving. Plus, the bubbles help me feel full. Although, it has to be decaf or else I won't fall asleep. I prefer decaf 7-up cherry or diet Vernors. My point: Diet pop helps me stick to my calorie goal.

Also, in the middle of the day, I'll drink a diet soda (usually Dr. Pepper 10, Diet Barq's or Diet Pepsi) to also help me feel full one a day when I'm trying to save my calories for later in the evening (like when I go out to eat with my husband and friends). My point once again: Diet pop helps me stick to my calorie goal.

My blood work is fantastic, my strength is high (squatting about 1.3x my body weight for a 5x5 workout) AND my weight is steadily decreasing. I'm also hypoglycemic and my grandfather(R.I.P.) was a diabetic (the hereditary kind), and yet my fasted-state blood sugar is GREAT! My point: Diet pop has not damaged my health in any way.

Everything in moderation! BOOM! :wink:
  • pwh300
    pwh300 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I gave up all soda....
    Drink Iced tea, iced coffee.....Even the favored teas are good iced. Water with water enhancers...Like Wylers light.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Coffee... it has LOADS of health benefits + caffeine!