I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options
sixxpoint
sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
Go!

Replies

• stacybw1
    stacybw1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time reaching my protein goal for the day. Any secrets?
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    All foods, but I love authentic Mexican.
    French Culinary Institute in NYC.
    Poissonnier.

Protein = protein powder (a convenience food, but keep in mind that it is processed). Any type of meat, fish, dairy, nuts, seeds, eggs, beans, lentils.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi. So here's one my father asked me and google gave me mixed responses: Is canola oil good or bad for frying, from a "health" point of view? Thnks!
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi. So here's one my father asked me and google gave me mixed responses: Is canola oil good or bad for frying, from a "health" point of view? Thnks!

Basically the less refined, the better.

This chart will tell you all about cooking oils:

CookingOilChart1.jpg
  • SophiaSerrao
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

hmmm... so, no, right?

Yeah, that's what I figured from my readings :+1:

He asked me because he sees that I'm all into nutrition and stuff, but I honestly'd never heard of canola oil.

Thnks for the chart!! I'll just email him this ;)
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Organic canola is okay. I'm not a big fan of hopping on the organic bandwagon because most of the time it is a lot of hippy bullcrap, but in the case of cooking oil, the more unrefined, pure, organic, the better.

For that chart, stay away from the red and orange.
  • Mzsweetypye
    Mzsweetypye Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi i have a Overactive thyroid quite bad (also Graves disease - which effects the eyes). im on meds, my body temperature is sky high, no energy my immune system is effected, my hair nails break and a million other symptoms, i was wondering if theres any types of food that could help me build up my immune system, energy, etc as cant find anything on @. I cant eat heavy foods as to heavy on my stomach due to it.
  • Mzsweetypye
    Mzsweetypye Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say i have a P.T as struggling to lose weight and need protein etc
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Part fad, part truth.

It does contain a moderate amount of medium-chain triglycerides, which are beneficial to energy. It is high in lauric acid, which has proven benefits. The trick is buying the right kind.... virgin, expeller-pressed, unrefined, NOT hydrogenated, protective dark container which isn't struck by light.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    leontarik wrote: »
    Hi i have a Overactive thyroid quite bad (also Graves disease - which effects the eyes). im on meds, my body temperature is sky high, no energy my immune system is effected, my hair nails break and a million other symptoms, i was wondering if theres any types of food that could help me build up my immune system, energy, etc as cant find anything on @. I cant eat heavy foods as to heavy on my stomach due to it.

Unfortunately, I am not qualified to answer this. You should find a qualified doctor with a lot of experience with nutrition and the immune system. If it is any help, I listed some basic foods above that are high in protein.
  • SophiaSerrao
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Organic canola is okay. I'm not a big fan of hopping on the organic bandwagon because most of the time it is a lot of hippy bullcrap, but in the case of cooking oil, the more unrefined, pure, organic, the better.

lol, agree on the organic hippy bc point of view. And also agree that in oils it's something to consider, especially if being consumed raw too, right?

I use a good quality olive oil for salads... and any ole crisco cooking spray for stir frying :O It's probably not the best, but it helps me stay in my deficit. 5 cals per spray!!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Can you come over to my house and make me a delicious, low-cal Mexican dinner?
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    Maybe, if you're local to NJ. I charge though :)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Maybe, if you're local to NJ. I charge though :)

Dang, wrong coast. Am in California.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Organic has nothing to do with the nutrition or how refined something is. Just the way it's grown. You could have a crop that is organically grown then refined within an inch of it's life it would still be an organic product.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options

CookingOilChart1.jpg

Can you please explain as to why something that might be GM is considered unhealthy?
    Are there any peer reviewed scientific studies that show any link between GM and health issues?
  • neshia78
    neshia78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the chart! Very Educational!