I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Best oils to cook with?

See page 1.
  • EmilyRose13084
    EmilyRose13084 Posts: 18 Member
    Sweets are such a weakness! Please help
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015

Do you want to avoid them or eat more of them?

I overcame my love for sweets when I learned how appreciate bitter flavors through more exposure to them: broccoli rabe, kale, other veggies, and IPAs (bitter beer). When you acquire a taste for bitter, your sweet cravings are drastically lessened.
  • EmilyRose13084
    sixxpoint wrote: »

I overcame my love for sweets when I learned how appreciate bitter flavors through more exposure to them: broccoli rabe, kale, other veggies, and IPAs (bitter beer). When you acquire a taste for bitter, your sweet cravings are drastically lessened.

I well over eat on the sweets. I tend to skip well balanced meals because I replace them with sweets
  • sixxpoint

I well over eat on the sweets. I tend to skip well balanced meals because I replace them with sweets

You have to learn how to love veggies, and that requires an understanding of how to prepare/cook them perfectly. They are also very nutritious. If you still want sweets, fruit can be quite sweet.
  • EmilyRose13084

You have to learn how to love veggies, and that requires an understanding of how to prepare/cook them perfectly. They are also very nutritious. If you still want sweets, fruit can be quite sweet.

Veggies are so hard to love lol I only want to lose 10 more pounds and it's been the hardest 10 to lose
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Organ meats? Are they really that great for you? Do you have a recipe that will make me love them?
  • sixxpoint
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Organ meats? Are they really that great for you? Do you have a recipe that will make me love them?

They are not great or bad per se. However, a variety of whole foods in your diet is always the best option.

Did you have an interest in a specific type of offal? They can be hard to find in a regular supermarket outside of liver and tripe.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    There are some butchers around here, I could get anything. I am up for trying any of it, if it will be delicious and benefit my health. I've heard calf's liver is a super-food, but I wouldn't know how to prepare it.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    There are some butchers around here, I could get anything. I am up for trying any of it, if it will be delicious and benefit my health. I've heard calf's liver is a super-food, but I wouldn't know how to prepare it.

It's delicious! Although in general the people I know aren't fans. I like its uniqueness and enjoy it a lot. And it's a good iron source :+1:

I coat it with olive oil and minced garlic, some spices and then throw it in the pan. Cook both sides ans serve with rice. But I'm sure sixxpoint will know more interesting ways of preparing it ^^
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015

It's delicious! Although in general the people I know aren't fans. I like its uniqueness and enjoy it a lot. And it's a good iron source :+1:

I coat it with olive oil and minced garlic, some spices and then throw it in the pan. Cook both sides ans serve with rice. But I'm sure sixxpoint will know more interesting ways of preparing it ^^

Yes, there are tons of recipes for it on youtube and google. The trick is properly cleaning it and not overcooking it. Overcooking brings out that gamey, metallic flavor. And it also alters the texture in an undesireable way. You could also make a pate.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member

Yes, there are tons of recipes for it on youtube and google. The trick is properly cleaning it and not overcooking it. Overcooking brings out that gamey, metallic flavor. And it also alters the texture in an undesireable way. You could also make a pate.

Word, yo. I overcooked it once and it was like chewing a tire. A shame, because the texture is part of the reason I enjoy it so much.

And yes, it's definitely important to give it proper cleaning.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member

Word, yo. I overcooked it once and it was like chewing a tire. A shame, because the texture is part of the reason I enjoy it so much.

And yes, it's definitely important to give it proper cleaning.

Liver is so tricky. I love it, but aside from dear grandmother, I've never gone somewhere where they've made it work for me. This is one I'm gonna have to learn for myself. Same with cow tongue. One of my favorite things to eat is lengua (tongue) in taco or burrito form from one of my favorite taquerias.

I've heard it's a lot of work and takes hours of braising to get it right, though.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    ^Yes, you have to cook tongue in a flavorful broth, low and slow, and then peel off the tough outer layer. Lamb's tongue taste like bologna if anyone is interested :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited May 2015
    deleted
  • shrinkingletters
    ^Yes, you have to cook tongue in a flavorful broth, low and slow, and then peel off the tough outer layer. Lamb's tongue taste like bologna if anyone is interested :)

The cubans do it in like a milanesa style with a very garlicy tomato sauce and white rice. *drool*
  • shrinkingletters
    This thread is gonna ruin my life.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Haha why is that?
  • shrinkingletters
    Haha why is that?

Because I know how to cook.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,787 Member
    edited May 2015
    This one might have a simple answer, but there are a million conflicting methods on Google: if I wanted to make a blue steak at home, without a cast-iron pan or a grill, would that be possible? And if so, how would I do it? And is it reasonably safe to eat supermarket steaks blue?

I really love blue steak, is what I'm saying, and the only place in town that served it had to stop.