Is a fast diet unhealthy? 500 cals a day?

Options

Replies

• astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    Or you could just eat at a calorie deficit daily instead of having two days a week where you sugar coat it and make it a shiny shiny fad like all the other "diets" people follow. I didn't lose much weight doing 5:2. But I felt much better health wise. Placebo effect? Possibly. I have wised up since then and no longer follow any plan other than eating less than I burn. End of.

Are you two different people? Your first post sounded like an endorsement: "It is worth noting that the 5:2 diet isn't aimed at weight loss. It was for health benefits. The weight loss is just a bonus!"

Then you call it a fad.

It's really not a "fad" diet. It's a way to manage calories. Whether it's a daily deficit or weekly, it's the same damn thing. I don't personally do 5:2 anymore on any regular basis, but I may go back towards the end of my goal. When I was on it, I ate whatever foods I wanted as long as it was in my calorie goal. It's still CI<CO. If you didn't lose weight doing it, then you weren't eating less than you were burning.

And since you don't need to visit a website because you already know what it's about, here's another quote right from the main page about why to follow 5:2:

"We all know how you are supposed to lose weight: eat low-fat foods, exercise more… and never, ever skip meals. This has been standard dietary advice for decades and though it may work for some people, levels of obesity continue to soar. So is there an alternative? We think there is. Intermittent fasting. Based on the work of leading scientists from around the world, this is an exciting new alternative to standard dieting."

It's about fat loss and calorie control. End of.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Oh, well, if it was in a free magazine AND if celebrities do it, it must be 100% safe and effective!

[Insert eyeroll here].
  • astralpictures
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Just because you approve of the 5:2 does not mean it not fad. Don't believe for a second that people her don't know what 5:2 is or that they've never tried it.

Also, using quotes from a topic you're trying to defend provided by the topic promoting whatever it is doesn't work well. That's like saying Dr. Oz is not a charlatan by quoting Dr. Oz saying he's not a charlatan.

On the flip side, just because someone does not approve, does not make it a fad. My quotes weren't trying to prove how effective the plan is, but that the the creators of the plan sell it as a weight loss plan first and foremost over the supposed health benefits of fasting.

But yeah, since it's a way to manage CICO, I'd say it's pretty effective.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Eating 500 calories a day for 10 days is unlikely to cause any health problems. Most likely you'll just be hungry all the time, lose a lot of water weight, some fat, some muscle. On day 11, you'll likely start gaining the water back quickly. And probably gain back most of the fat over the next month or so.

Agreed. OP, why even ask? Why don't you just try it and see if it works? Note: I'm not encouraging doing this. I just mean, why bother asking for opinions? No matter what people say it won't make this more or less effective.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Given your weight, I would guess that you would lose somewhere between 1 and 2 lbs of fat over the 10 days, and possibly some muscle to go with it. A bad diet for ten days probably won't kill you. If it would, more people would die while on vacation. But why mess with it? Just eat at 1200 for ten weeks and you're done.

who are these people that go on vacation and eat 500 calories a day?????????????

Poor wording??? Clearly, I'm not TimothyFish, but I read it as some people do crash diets before going on vacation and then if there were immediate dangerous effects those would be felt while on vacation (hence, death). That is still quite a strange example, but that's what took from that post. Of course, I could be wrong!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Given your weight, I would guess that you would lose somewhere between 1 and 2 lbs of fat over the 10 days, and possibly some muscle to go with it. A bad diet for ten days probably won't kill you. If it would, more people would die while on vacation. But why mess with it? Just eat at 1200 for ten weeks and you're done.

Regarding the bolded part, for "bad diet," I understood this to mean overeating as that is what people commonly do while on vacation, but others are interpreting it as under-eating. Would you please clarify?

Yes, I meant overeating, and/or eating stuff that doesn't provide sufficient nutritional value. The reason I drew the connection with the person eating 500 calories is because it appears to be only about a 1000 calorie deficit, but it is unlikely that they are getting the nutrients they need. They would be getting some energy from food and if they are getting 500 calories per day from fat, they would only be lacking a few hundred calories per day to carry on their normal activities. I would expect the body to slow down and pull from other resources, but I don't expect it would kill them in ten days time.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

who are these people that go on vacation and eat 500 calories a day?????????????

If anything I eat MORE on vacation, not less-and so do most people from what I can gather having actually talked to people who go on holiday and the threads that are started here about people gaining whilst on holiday.

Seriously Mr Fish, where the hell do you get some of the 'information' you come out with most of the time?! I see nothing to back up the vague claims!

Of course I could be wrong but...I think @TimothyFish was referring to the people (usually girls) who crash diet or fast to lose 10-15 pounds right before a vacation where they might or might not be wearing a bikini. I don't believe he necessarily meant these crash dieters went on vacation and did their fasting.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Poor wording??? Clearly, I'm not TimothyFish, but I read it as some people do crash diets before going on vacation and then if there were immediate dangerous effects those would be felt while on vacation (hence, death). That is still quite a strange example, but that's what took from that post. Of course, I could be wrong!

the comment referred to vacation, not before vacation ..

but as you said, you are not timothyfish...
  • astralpictures
    Options

Just because you approve of the 5:2 does not mean it not fad. Don't believe for a second that people her don't know what 5:2 is or that they've never tried it.

Also, using quotes from a topic you're trying to defend provided by the topic promoting whatever it is doesn't work well. That's like saying Dr. Oz is not a charlatan by quoting Dr. Oz saying he's not a charlatan.

On the flip side, just because someone does not approve, does not make it a fad. My quotes weren't trying to prove how effective the plan is, but that the the creators of the plan sell it as a weight loss plan first and foremost over the supposed health benefits of fasting.

But yeah, since it's a way to manage CICO, I'd say it's pretty effective.
    Any eating pattern can be effective if you can sustain it. You will find many people that can do 2 days of 500 calories and you'll also find many people that can't handle it.

Totally agree. That was the point of my original post in this thread :) It works for some, not for others, as a way to get to your calorie goal.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

the comment referred to vacation, not before vacation ..

but as you said, you are not timothyfish...

Yep, I saw that and addressed that, but I was wrong and it was a weird post anyway so no need to clarify further.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Before everyone starts jumping to conclusions!

A magazine that came free with the newspaper a couple of weeks ago has suggested a so called "fast diet" whereby you eat around 500-600 calories every day for 10 days to lose weight which is the diet used by celebrities such as Benedict Cumberbatch and various others.

Is this safe for 10 days? If so what could you be expected to lose in this time?

I currently weigh 120 pounds but want to lose 5 more to be at my ideal goal! I am 5ft 3

Thanks!

Put down the magazines with celebrity weight loss secrets. Those are not healthy, sustainable plans. They are not necessary.
    Just put your numbers in MFP and choose to lose 1/2 lb a week. Eat up to the calories goal you are given. Don't go below 1200 calories a day. Be patient and you will get to your goal. Easy and sustainable.
  • bhawk102
    bhawk102 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression you aren't even really losing fat so much as muscle
  • quafferj
    quafferj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    screw benadryl cabbagepatch, don't starve yourself.

Now THIS made me laugh
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sigh, and where are these people after 6 months....oh wait, they're getting a hair transplant, because they lost all theirs.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    If Benefiber Cumberbund does it.....it must be good
  • Alluminati
    Options
    BenniHana Cumbersome
  • Alluminati
    Options
    Bennifer Cucumberpatch