I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

Options

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    what would you suggest for a better binder for a sweetbread and scallop mousse.

Would a cold set gelatin be good, or would a creme emulsion using sodium citrate be better?

Odd question for the common person to ask, maybe you a chef in disguise, or just trying to test me. In any case...

The guideline is 1 lb. lean protein to 1 egg white to 1 cup heavy cream. Sweetbreads have 6g fat per 1 oz. on average so you would have to account for that.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    In my restaurant, we sous vide it and then follow up with a post-sear in a hot pan.

I have a SV setup. Care to share the time/temp combination?
    I do mine at 68C and 16 hours.
    Thanks
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi, im looking for some meal ideas. I'm in the process of cutting all refined sugar out of my diet and lowering the amount of sugar I consume in general. Trying to keep my sugar intake below 20g per day. Any ideas?

Sugar is not bad per se as long as you are cautious about how much refined sugar you ingest.

Chronic ingestion of 50 grams or more of refined sugar a day has known health risks. Therefore, it pays to remain mindful of the fructose content of all foods consumed.

I don't really have the time to design elaborate meal plans, but just know that from a bodyweight standpoint, it doesn't matter what specific foods you ingest. A calorie is a calorie in that regard. From a nutrition standpoint however, you could cause long term harm by not introducing a variety of whole, nutritious foods in your diet. Variety and whole are key. Avoid processed foods and foods laden with industrial trans fats. Focus on high fiber items, ensure adequate intake of protein & dietary fat, and try to consume veggies and fruits of various colors for different nutrients.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    In my restaurant, we sous vide it and then follow up with a post-sear in a hot pan.

Thanks

63C for 14 hours is plenty.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »

Thanks

63C for 14 hours is plenty.

Sounds good, thanks!
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Do you prep Asian cusine?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Sometimes. I will be honest and say that Sushi prep or classic Chinese cuisine are not my strong suits. But what did you have in mind?
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It's 5:25... I need to stop by the grocery store on my way home from work. I am going to eat.all.the.food.

Great thread OP, and those asking the drool-worthy questions!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    The oil chart has been exploding my brain all day. A few questions:

1. How can I quickly tell in the grocery store if my olive oil is real? Is this a "know before you go" type of situation?

2. What oils do you like best for all around pan frying? At first glance peanut looks like an all-around inexpensive choice for me...

Any other tidbits of wisdom? Thanks in advance. :)
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This may be superstition or grounded in some fact, but I am a firm believer that imported EVOO made from 100% Italian olives is the best tasting.

I never buy Tunisian, Greek, California, Italian, etc. blends. Single origin is best. If you cannot afford good quality Italian olive oil, then get the cheapest single origin olive oil available.

For pan-frying, I just use plain olive, canola or vegetable oil. Sometimes coconut oil. You're using so little on average that it's not going to really matter from a nutrition standpoint. Believe it or not, Avocado oil, while insanely expensive, has one of the highest smoke points around. I never use it, but food for thought.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have canola & vegetable oil on hand. I'll inspect my olive oils more closely and will maybe check out avocado oil some day.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Tracylooo wrote: »
    I'm averaging 40% protein 40% carbs and 20% fats daily!

I thought eating carbs too late in the evening doesn't get burned off the same as eating carbs throughout the day as your more active??
    Thanks for your response
    Tracey

Don't go by ratios. They are meaningless. The proper amount of protein is between 0.60 to 0.82 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight. You can go higher, but it won't really make a difference. Also, protein is the most expensive macro. Dietary fat needs to be at a bare minimum of 0.40 to 0.45 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight. Dietary fat (with little to hopefully zero industrial trans fats) is crucial to hormonal health, sex drive, pregnancy health, etc.

Carbs are not bad, but there is no solid "number" requirement for them. Rely on carbs to fill in the rest of your macro allowance and total calorie goal. It would be wise to focus on a variety of colorful vegetables and high fiber items for the carb allowance.

Lastly, meal timing is almost utterly useless for the average person. There is some evidence that timing carbs can help, but it is mostly related to hardcore athletes and bodybuilders very strict training regimens.

The reason you hear, "don't eat carbs (or food in general) after 8-9 pm", is because by this point, you have likely already filled your total daily calorie goal. Consuming more would likely mean that you are overeating.

What is your source for this dietary fat advice? What studies are these numbers based on?
  • Anadora92
    Anadora92 Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've just started waitressing and don't have time to eat at work until after a shift has finished where I then tend to eat at the restaurant, maybe 12-1am about twice a week. Mainly for peace of mind seen as everyone tells me that it's bad to eat so late at night and especially oily or carb foods (it's an Italian restaurant). I'm trying to maintain so do lots of running etc but don't want to undo all my hard work getting to the weight I am. Basically from a Chef's point of view should I find an alternative around eating at the restaurant?
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    Tracylooo wrote: »
    I'm averaging 40% protein 40% carbs and 20% fats daily!

I thought eating carbs too late in the evening doesn't get burned off the same as eating carbs throughout the day as your more active??
    Thanks for your response
    Tracey

Don't go by ratios. They are meaningless. The proper amount of protein is between 0.60 to 0.82 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight. You can go higher, but it won't really make a difference. Also, protein is the most expensive macro. Dietary fat needs to be at a bare minimum of 0.40 to 0.45 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight. Dietary fat (with little to hopefully zero industrial trans fats) is crucial to hormonal health, sex drive, pregnancy health, etc.

Carbs are not bad, but there is no solid "number" requirement for them. Rely on carbs to fill in the rest of your macro allowance and total calorie goal. It would be wise to focus on a variety of colorful vegetables and high fiber items for the carb allowance.

Lastly, meal timing is almost utterly useless for the average person. There is some evidence that timing carbs can help, but it is mostly related to hardcore athletes and bodybuilders very strict training regimens.

The reason you hear, "don't eat carbs (or food in general) after 8-9 pm", is because by this point, you have likely already filled your total daily calorie goal. Consuming more would likely mean that you are overeating.

What is your source for this dietary fat advice? What studies are these numbers based on?

Clinical scientific studies, too many to reference. Here are some starting points:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fat-loss-for-athletes-part-2.html/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/a-primer-on-dietary-fats-part-1.html/

Also see:

Macronutrient content of a hypoenergy diet affects nitrogen retention and muscle function in weight lifters. Walberg JL, Leidy MK, Sturgill DJ, Hinkle DE, Ritchey SJ, Sebolt DR. Int J Sports Med. 1988 Aug;9(4):261-6.

Dietary carbohydrate-to-fat ratio: influence on whole-body nitrogen retention, substrate utilization, and hormone response in healthy male subjects. McCargar LJ, Clandinin MT, Belcastro AN, Walker K. Am J Clin Nutr. 1989 Jun;49(6):1169-78.

Hays JH, DiSabatino A, Gorman RT, Vincent S, Stillabower ME. Effect of a high saturated fat and no-starch diet on serum lipid subfractions in patients with documented atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. Mayo Clin Proc 2003;78:1331–6.

Meckling KA, O’Sullivan C, Saari D. Comparison of a low-fat diet to a low-carbohydrate diet on weight loss, body composition, and risk factors for diabetes and cardiovascular disease in free-living, overweight men and women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004;89:2717–23.

Sharman MJ, Gomez AL, Kraemer WJ, Volek JS. Very low-carbohydrate and low-fat diets affect fasting lipids and postprandial lipemia differently in overweight men. J Nutr 2004;134:880–5.

Reiser R. Saturated fat in the diet and serum cholesterol concentration: a critical examination of the literature. Am J Clin Nutr 1973;26:524–55.

Cornier MA, Donahoo WT, Pereira R, et al. Insulin sensitivity determines the effectiveness of dietary macronutrient composition on weight loss in obese women. Obes Res 2005;13:703–9.

Katan MB. Alternatives to low-fat diets. Am J Clin Nutr 2006;83:989–90.

Ravnskov U. The diet-heart idea is kept alive by selective citation. Rapid response. BMJ 8. December 2003.

Ravnskov U. Diet-heart disease hypothesis is wishful thinking. BMJ 2002;324:238.
  • sixxpoint
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've just started waitressing and don't have time to eat at work until after a shift has finished where I then tend to eat at the restaurant, maybe 12-1am about twice a week. Mainly for peace of mind seen as everyone tells me that it's bad to eat so late at night and especially oily or carb foods (it's an Italian restaurant). I'm trying to maintain so do lots of running etc but don't want to undo all my hard work getting to the weight I am. Basically from a Chef's point of view should I find an alternative around eating at the restaurant?

I understand the lack of time issue. Perhaps a quality multivitamin would provide some additional assurance regarding your health. Controlled Labs Orange Triad is a great multi that also provides digestive and immune support. A quality protein powder can also help for convenience; there are many good ones so pm me for specific recs. You will want to eat as many nutritious veggies, protein, fat, and high fiber items as you can. Psyllium husks can help with fiber... But remember, a food supplement can NEVER replace actual whole food.

Regarding timing, it is not bad to eat late at night. Timing is inconsequential for the most part. The reason you hear that is because by 7-9 pm, most people have already hit their daily calorie requirements... so overeating would occur. What is important when it comes to weight loss/gain/maintenance is achieving consistent, daily calorie and macronutrient targets.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    There are some butchers around here, I could get anything. I am up for trying any of it, if it will be delicious and benefit my health. I've heard calf's liver is a super-food, but I wouldn't know how to prepare it.

Sauteed Calf's Liver with Caramelized Onions

Serves 4

60 grams unsalted butter
    400 grams onions, fine chop
    4 slices calf's liver, cleaned
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    50 grams flour
    10 ml vegetable oil
    30 ml vinegar
    200 ml demi-glace (or thick, reduced veal stock)
    additional 10 grams unsalted butter (2 tsp)
    1/8 bunch parsley leaves, finely minced (1 tbsp.)

1. Heat a saute pean and add 10 g butter and the onions. Cook over medium heat until soft and translucent, not browned at all. Set aside.
    2. Season the liver well with salt and pepper on both sides. Coat with flour and shake off the excess.
    3. Add the oil to a hot pan along with 30 g soft butter. Add the liver slices and saute over medium-high heat for 1 minute, or until nicely browned.
    4. Add the reserved onion to the hot pan and cook until caramelized.
    5. Deglaze the pan with vinegar. Stir well to dissolve the brown bits, and cook for 1 minute more.
    6. Add the demi-glace or thickened veal stock. Taste and adjust seasoning and mount the top with the remaining butter.
    7. Pour the sauce over the liver, sprinkle with minced parsley, and serve.

Thank you! Something new to try and I sure need the iron!
  • gotechgo
    gotechgo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Could you give me some ideas for non-diary foods which are high in Calcium please?
    Try almond milk. Very high in calcium and better tasting than soy or rice.
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Do you have any unconventional uses for turmeric? For example I put it on my eggs for breakfast.
    And is that expensive pink salt REALLY that much better than the white stuff?
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    SciranBG wrote: »
    Do you have any unconventional uses for turmeric? For example I put it on my eggs for breakfast.
    And is that expensive pink salt REALLY that much better than the white stuff?

To be honest, the primary contributions I notice from turmeric in cooking is color & blank bitterness. It's not adding much in the way of general flavor, but I see no harm in adding it to sauteed or grilled veggies from a nutrition standpoint.

I wouldn't buy into the trendy salts. Buy it or make it if you like the flavor. Don't spend a lot for it for "health purposes". It's important to note than pink himalayan sea salt is very different from pink curing salt, used for corned beef or pastrami.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This is such a great thread, so awesome you're willing to share your knowledge, thanks :)

Just wondering if you could recommend a few simple, stove-top dishes that meet the following criteria:
    - Doable in 25 minutes or less, from fridge to plate
    - Contain loads of tasty meat
    - Are not annoying/costly for a single person to shop for. E.g. do not contain cabbage or something like that, that will take ten years to go through (or spoil)

I am a lazy single person who basically likes steaks (pan-fried in butter), skillet chicken (skin-on, like this), and burgers, in order of easiest to most annoying to prepare/cook. But I can't have steak every day.

Thanks!

(ps - not looking to make enough for leftovers; hate leftovers (unless it's chili or something) and frozen stuff. i like things cooked that day only)