Walking your dog - if you don't have one, walk your neighbor's dog!

Options

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I don't have any dogs and love to hike in the mountains around me but won't do it alone so I borrow a friend's dog. I swear she saved my life once.
    We were hiking along, she stopped and sniffed the air then came to me and cowered at my feet. I put the leash on her and tried to get her to continue the hike but she wouldn't have it. She literally pulled me back to the car so I drove us to another area and she was fine.
    I bet that there was a bear or cougar nearby.

Please keep the dog on a leash at all times, and the definition of a leash is 6' or less. This is for the dog's safety, your safety, the wildlife's safety, and for my safety.

I have had more close encounters with dogs out in the woods than I have with wild animals. There has been two times in recent years that I nearly had to resort to firearm use on threatening dogs that were off leash. The owners weren't even apologetic.

The owners were nearby and you... shot their dogs? And then expected an apology?

I'm going to stick with the treadmill in the gym. Not for fear of loose dogs, but just in case any randoms are out walking with guns. That, and I hate bugs and humidity.

Having trouble with your reading comprehension? No dog was shot.

Okay, so just fired the gun in the air? You sort of left that one hanging. No need for the insult, you weren't very specific.

the person said they nearly had to resort to guns not that they did resort 2 guns
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Since I bought my FitBit 2.5 months ago, I've taken my lab with me for most of my walks and runs. We've hiked up to 14 miles and have run up to 4 miles and he loves it. When I start putting my shoes on, he gets all excited. When I have to leave without him, he gives me such a sad, pathetic look.

Now that summer is upon us, I'll have to be careful how much I take him out.
  • noxxmod
    noxxmod Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My dog is not a good walking partner! She is slow and gets lazy, wanting to lay down on the cool grass. Lol.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I think maybe some of you people need to eat more . . . you're WAY too grumpy!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    maidentl wrote: »
    I didn't know I had to have a dog to walk. I've been doing it wrong.

Pets always make exercise better...

Oh, I have pets but they're cats. We tried to walk one of them once. He walked into the shrubbery and laid down and then refused to move. :laugh:

Oh cats are too funny :D

pmho2zthrezc.jpeg

Coincidentally, I have a neighbor who will put a leash on her cat and try to walk it. I see her all the time trying to get the cat to walk with her or her yelling at the cat to get down after it has climbed up a tree.

A few times our cat has come out with us and followed me and the dog around the block. She'll go in short bursts, running from hiding place to hiding place. When she does that I go for a short route so that I'm sure she can find her way home if she loses us.
  • atypicalsmith
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    Amerielle wrote: »
    My neighbor's dog bit me while I was out for a run.

If you had been walking a dog, it would have protected you.

Or gotten bit (Got bitten? gotten bitten? got bit? aaaargh) as well.

Nope, my doxie scares the heck out of way bigger dogs than he. No need to murder English in his case.
  • mrsjb1984
    mrsjb1984 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My husband has lost 100lbs since we got our springer spaniels, and has sustained it for 18 months so far :smile:
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have a cattle dog... she's a great walking and running partner. Although while we're out, if she sees another small animal she's more interested in herding it and will run in front of me....which invariably causes me to practically trip over her so that I look like a damn spaz.

Also...obligatory picture of the Wonderdog on our fishing boat:
    wJbTNr2.jpg
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Nope, my doxie scares the heck out of way bigger dogs than he. No need to murder English in his case.

Souhhhh .. how does that apply to someone else walking someone else's dog? Or whatever it is we're talking about here.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Souhhhh .. how does that apply to someone else walking someone else's dog? Or whatever it is we're talking about here.

What ARE we talking about?
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    I have a cattle dog... she's a great walking and running partner. Although while we're out, if she sees another small animal she's more interested in herding it and will run in front of me....which invariably causes me to practically trip over her so that I look like a damn spaz.

wJbTNr2.jpg

Adorable! And she keeps you on your toes! Gotta love that!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

wJbTNr2.jpg

Awww, she's smiling! I love smiling doggie pictures.

• atypicalsmith
    Options
    I let my niece and nephew and the neighborhood kids walk my dog all the time. He's very well trained, and I showed them exactly how to hold the leash. We walk past nearly every neighbors' houses and hear their dogs barking from inside, who are never taken on a walk. THAT'S what we're talking about to the people who can't figure it out.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Of course that doesn't mean that as soon as he spies a squirrel, rabbit, or cat, he is gonn try to rip your arm off! But he's little and controllable (almost).
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I let my niece and nephew and the neighborhood kids walk my dog all the time. He's very well trained, and I showed them exactly how to hold the leash. We walk past nearly every neighbors' houses and hear their dogs barking from inside, who are never taken on a walk. THAT'S what we're talking about to the people who can't figure it out.

I'm just curious, how do you verify that none of their dogs are ever taken on a walk?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Is it because they're in their cars with the air conditioning on?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I am another person who would not let other people walk her dogs. The only person besides my husband and I who has ever walked one of ours is my sister. I only trust her because she used to dogsit and watch an Akita and a Bouvier and I trust her to be able to hold the leash even if our dogs pull hard.

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    One of my dogs is blind due to glaucoma. Taking her for a walk is more dangerous for her than anything else, she can't even see where to step.

My other dog won't go without the blind one, so that rules that out.

The fact they had aircon on with the windows open...(just how close to the car were you in order to know it was on anyway) is not relevant at all to your life.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

I'm just curious, how do you verify that none of their dogs are ever taken on a walk?

Because I've offered to take their dogs on a walk and they say that they get enough exercise running around inside the house.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    And yes, like me, most of them are overweight. The people. I don't know about the dogs because I never see them.