Walking your dog - if you don't have one, walk your neighbor's dog!

Options
123457»

Replies

• SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    5omap2wy15ti.jpg

This one's rescued as well. She's a handful, behavior wise, but so sweet and clueless and full of warm luv. And she makes me LAUGH! Seriously, dogs are funnay. Their (many) dumb facial expressions haha ♥
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Sadly my Pepsi died in March. No more going for long walks with him when I go home this time. It won't be the same without him. Maybe I will buy my parents another dog but it will never replace Pepsi, who was in our family since 1998. I'm getting a dog once our friend's dog gets pregnant and has puppies.
  • SophiaSerrao
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I have over 3,000 pictures of him in my phone. We go everywhere together. People always want to pet him or say hi but he is such a jerk. If you get within 3 feet of us he will growl at you. The other day I was at the bank dealing with an issue and I had him on my lap while I was on the phone, I didn't notice some lady walking towards him to pet him then I heard him go so I yelled at her "Don't touch my dog". She had some dumb look on her face, but I think that might have just been her face.

I can imagine... small dogs tend to be sooooo grumpy from what I've seen. But for creatures that small and cute to be growling their lilttle growls, it still makes me chuckle. I'd never approach a stranger's dog close enough for contact though. I do naturally gravitate towards them, but stop at a discreet distance. And from there I smile like an idiot and talk to them.

On the other hand, big dogs tend to be softies, lol.

And hell yeah, I have hundreds of pictures of my pup too... a lot, considering for every ten I take I probably keep just one! Those smiling at the camera are gold, though. Or side glances at the camera haha.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    In for fur-baby sharing...all rescues

Hercules:
    1489006_10100552270203263_1979568127_n_zpsyi5celu9.jpg

Liz:
    IMG_1148_zpsiebuzabc.jpg

Liz's favorite position:
    IMG_1047_zpscwh9y0zy.jpg

Eli: our little bichon who went to his happy hunting ground a few months ago:
    IMG_1060_zpsk6s3xtgg.jpg
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Oh I can participate because I just got a dog (first one in my adult life) last Saturday! He's not great on a leash yet, but we're working on it. I'm not a runner, but I've thought about taking it up because he likes to run so much. He's a little lab/boxer/pitbull/no clue mix we rescued.

11008637_10153865543350760_4446790213799669054_n.jpg?oh=45960b6ab3aacb52de51a761917e149d&oe=560A30EE
    FullSizeRender.jpg

He's adorable!!! He'll learn to walk with a leash in no time!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Oh I can participate because I just got a dog (first one in my adult life) last Saturday! He's not great on a leash yet, but we're working on it. I'm not a runner, but I've thought about taking it up because he likes to run so much. He's a little lab/boxer/pitbull/no clue mix we rescued.

11008637_10153865543350760_4446790213799669054_n.jpg?oh=45960b6ab3aacb52de51a761917e149d&oe=560A30EE
    FullSizeRender.jpg

He's adorable!!! He'll learn to walk with a leash in no time!

Thanks! He's not terrible on the leash, but he tends to pull a bit. They'll probably address that at his training classes.

Glad to see so many people adopting rescue dogs, btw!
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Yep, my nearly ten-year-old doxie was a rescue dog. BEST DOG EVER!!!!
  • SophiaSerrao
    Options
    I have a very hard time walking my dog. She was probably so used to roaming free. She was around 5 months when I got her and before that she lived in some near woods. I don't know, sometimes I think she'll never learn without a trainer. And I can't afford one. She pulls so much I'm miserable the whole time. She's oblivious and happy as a clam though. When she finally gets tired the walks are a bit better. Any tips?
  • hollie894
    hollie894 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've not met my new neighbours yet but I know they don't have a dog... they do however have a small child...

Does that count??
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have a very hard time walking my dog. She was probably so used to roaming free. She was around 5 months when I got her and before that she lived in some near woods. I don't know, sometimes I think she'll never learn without a trainer. And I can't afford one. She pulls so much I'm miserable the whole time. She's oblivious and happy as a clam though. When she finally gets tired the walks are a bit better. Any tips?

Some great tips here. The red light green light method really worked wonders for us. It's just a matter of getting out there, being consistent, making sure they see you as the alpha, and giving them lots of love and praise. Also, check around your local dog parks (if you have any). Ours offered group all around training (leash, sit, down, down-stay, stay, heal, etc.) once a week for 8 weeks for a very reasonable fee that was no where near as cha-ching as one-on-one training sessions. Also, lots of YouTube demos are available. I wanted to teach my dog how to roll over, and learned how to do that on YouTube. Took three 10 minutes sessions over three days and he picked it right up. Now all I need to do is point to the ground and he drops and rolls over.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    maidentl wrote: »
    maidentl wrote: »
    I didn't know I had to have a dog to walk. I've been doing it wrong.

Pets always make exercise better...

Oh, I have pets but they're cats. We tried to walk one of them once. He walked into the shrubbery and laid down and then refused to move. :laugh:

Oh cats are too funny :D

pmho2zthrezc.jpeg

Coincidentally, I have a neighbor who will put a leash on her cat and try to walk it. I see her all the time trying to get the cat to walk with her or her yelling at the cat to get down after it has climbed up a tree.

I owned one cat who wanted outside so badly we started going on walks. He would walk 2-3 blocks in a direction, meandering off sidewalk occasionally but mostly sticking to it. When he was done he would lay down and I would carry him home. We would get drivers stopping to ask me how I "trained" him to do it.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

If she's not big enough to pull your arm off (that's why I have a dachshund!), just keep at it!
    My doxie does just fine until he sees a rabbit or a cat or a large bird. Your dog will learn as long
    as you use a regular leash, and not one of those retractable ones.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't like walking dogs... they slow me down, lol.

Same here, my dog drives me nuts when he's on the leash! I told my husband that under no cirumstances can I count walking our puppy as exercise.