I need help ASAP

Options

Replies

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Hey guys today is my first day on here and my goal is to loose 100 pounds. Right now I'm 379 and I'm a single dad of a son that's 4 years old. I took him to Lego land yesterday and wasn't able to get on any rides with him because I was to big.

I understand all too well my friend. On my last family vacation I got kicked off of a rollercoaster at Knottsberry Farm that my son wanted to go on because they couldn't lower the safety bar. My wife went with him instead and he got off the ride saying "my dad couldn't go because he's too fat!"

Horrible. Feel free to add me.

O wow I'm so sorry to here that man my friend that's just how I felt yesterday. I cried my self to sleep and ask God why do I have to be fat. I want to be able to keep up with my son and not lose my breath trying to keep up with him. It's so hard Like I'm not just fat but I'm 6"6 so I'm supper big
    3ggmzzv1iiub.jpg

You will be able to keep up with him. Just keep making healthy choices and you (and I) will get there. I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old and keeping up with them is impossible I swear lol...but it's my motivation.

• jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Kids are a great motivation to get in shape, get healthy and move more. I have three boys and a little girl. I don't want to be the type of mum that can't get out of bed because she weighs too much and eats too much. I decided that I'm not going to wait till I'm too heavy to enjoy their childhood years with them. If I don't take care of myself who will? Nobody!!
    I started off in January weighing 95kg (209lb) and now weigh 79kg (174lb). I'm feeling great, full of life and full of energy.

I feel that you can do amazing well on your weight loss journey and will even surprise yourself at how well you do. Best advice I can give you is that when you feel like giving up just look at your son! When you feel like its too much to handle, look at your son. Think of when you WILL be able to go on rides at Legoland with him. Think of all the fun you both will have and do one more thing: Fight for it!!!
    Everyone else has covered all I wanted to say about weighing, logging, eating less, drinking water and all that so I really can't add anything to that except to say...You rock!!!!
  • Apud85
    Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Apud85 wrote: »
    Remember to take it one day at a time. If you mess up today, tomorrow is a new day. Don't beat yourself up over it. Also, if your end goal seems daunting, I think it helps to break up your weight loss goal into smaller milestones. It seems more attainable that way.

Good luck!! You have an adorable son.. such a great reason to be healthy!

Think you so much so you think I should just shoot for 50 pounds instead of 100

You should do whatever feels comfortable for you. If 100 pounds feels daunting, take it 10 pounds at a time. To me, that feels a lot less intimidating. Just focus on losing 10 pounds, and when you hit that, focus on the next 10. Lots and lots of luck! This website is a great resource! :)
  • jillglw
    jillglw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    People have said it all, but i wanted to add my vote of confidence-- You've got this! All the little steps will add up, and lean on MFP along the way!

• Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Carol_ wrote: »
    Get a pedometer at Walmart. And add some 'steps' goals.Weight loss can be slow and does not show up everyday. But..walking can be measured everyday...and you will know you are headed in the right direction. :)

Thank you so much right now I use my iPhone 6 plus it has this thing that counts my steps

Great! Can't wait to see how you do...with it.
  • Carol_
    Options
    Might be something a lot of people would not do..but...I always look at it as I have 10 pounds to lose. When I finish that 10..I do it again...and again.. And I can't count the number of times, I had to eat something because it was all I had. I just count the calories...and keep going.
  • Carol_
    edited May 2015
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »

@skullshank
    Thank you for listing those. I really need them, even if they weren't listed for me. haha
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Here are some tips. I started at 350lbs last september, and currently 274lbs (my profile pick is still of me at 350lbs, haven't updated yet)

Try not to change too much at once. Since you are new focus 100% on diet to start with, dont get yourself hung up on exercise just yet. Research research research about nutrition. yes it is about CICO but there are different ways to reach that goal. If you find yourself failing your diet, try a different diet. Examples of diets are pure CICO( eat whatever you want as long as you account for it). ANother might be low carb. Another might be low fat.. etc.

Be 100% honest with your tracking. Log everything. Weigh everything. If you dont log something you just cheating yourself.

I failed with eating whatever I want but keeping it under calories.. So I switched it up to low carb and that worked for me (may or may not work for other people).

Once you have your diet 100% under control (1-2 months) where you are confident you arent going to "relapse", then start looking into exercising. Again, start off small, maybe walk 15 minutes per day 3 days a week.. then gradually build up.. Thats what I did.. then over the course of 1.5 months I built it up to one hour five days a week.

Then I joined a gym and did weight lifting, then I started jogging.

Lastly dont get discouraged if you go a couple weeks without losing any weight. I hit many plateaus, but you break through them eventually as long as you honest with your tracking.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hey, it looks like you are off to a good start. Spaghetti and ground beef is fine. Measure/ weigh things like spaghetti/cereal/veggies/meat/rice ahead of time (before you cook them or add milk to them).
    The way you get the most out of MFP is to figure out the data base and commit to logging. Keep logging on good days and bad because as you stay consistent you become more successful. :)
    People here have pointed out to you that for weight loss, eating less is more important than exercise. (We can very roughly think of weight loss as 80% food and 20% exercise.)
  • Storytella100
    Storytella100 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    annikampos wrote: »
    Each day that goes by, the more you will learn about healthy eating and the more you will learn about yourself. Don't beat yourself up if you make a mistake and don't be afraid to ask questions. Progress, not perfection :)

When things get hard, remember to celebrate your progress and keep going! You seem like an awesome father.

Awwwww thank you very much and I will. Ya I love my lil man he's like my best friends well he is my best friend we go and do everything together it's just hard for me to keep up with his lil butt. That's my lil man on his first roller coasta ride and I was to big to get on and ride with him I had to have my lil sister go it was so sad. I cried but I'm gonna change that now. dhmxam47ypy5.jpg
  • Storytella100
    Options
    I love him so much 2u0k4qcawzob.jpg
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats :) You've got some amazing advice so far. I wish you good luck!
  • Storytella100
    Options
    Welcome and congrats :) You've got some amazing advice so far. I wish you good luck!
    Thank you very much
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that if you are measuring dry ingredients you want to use measuring cups that are designed for that. The measuring cups with the spout are for measuring liquid ingredients. So, if you only have a liquid measuring cup for example, you will want to get a set for dry ingredients soon. Also, you will want to get a set of measuring spoons if you don't have any. You could pick these up at a dollar store or Walmart pretty inexpensively. You can do this!!
  • Storytella100
    Options
    maineapple wrote: »
    Keep in mind that if you are measuring dry ingredients you want to use measuring cups that are designed for that. The measuring cups with the spout are for measuring liquid ingredients. So, if you only have a liquid measuring cup for example, you will want to get a set for dry ingredients soon. Also, you will want to get a set of measuring spoons if you don't have any. You could pick these up at a dollar store or Walmart pretty inexpensively. You can do this!!
    Ok ok so I'll go and try and get them from the dollar store today thank you so much I didn't think about that
  • justforme42
    justforme42 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone for your great words of wisdom. I'm not gonna lie tears came out of my eyes when I wasn't made fun of and people actually cared to encourage me.

You can do it. I have started over so many times and keep trying. This is a great start reaching out to people.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Oh, he's so cute! I know how hard it is, but just do your best every day and remind yourself why you are doing it. Best of luck to you!
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm a single dad of a son that's 4 years old.

That's a ton of motivation right there. There's a saying: Everyone says they would die for their children, so why won't you LIVE for them?

Legoland is awesome! Maybe you can set that as a goal/reward to be able to go back and go on the rides with your son.

As far as getting started, you'll hear it from lots of people, the most important thing is to accurately track every single thing that goes in your mouth. That means using a digital food scale or a barcode.