article: "5 really simple new rules for weight loss"

Options

Replies

• PolythenePam910
    PolythenePam910 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I dream of a day when the experts will finally agree on something and we can all live in harmony.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Once again, the news, which is supposed to be our source of up to date facts and truth...

News has NEVER been - nor was it ever meant to be - "our source of up to date facts and truth".

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    It
    I dream of a day when the experts will finally agree on something and we can all live in harmony.

Its called "Medicine"
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It

Its called "Medicine"

Two doctors, three opinions.

Nope....
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The key term here is "long term". While counting calories works well for weight loss, that doesn't mean it works well for long term maintenance. Realistically, I don't see myself logging everything I eat for the rest of my life, so either I'm going to do something else, or I'll gain weight
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    The key term here is "long term". While counting calories works well for weight loss, that doesn't mean it works well for long term maintenance. Realistically, I don't see myself logging everything I eat for the rest of my life, so either I'm going to do something else, or I'll gain weight

FOR YOU. Again, generalizing doesn't work.

There's no one solution. For some people, continued counting/logging works very well.

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

FOR YOU. Again, generalizing doesn't work.

There's no one solution. For some people, continued counting/logging works very well.

Exactly! I don't mind the logging at all! I'd much rather log the rest of my life and enjoy my kids and grandkids than not log and overeat , become obese, not be able to have kids, and end up miserable!
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    CICO for weight management is like abstinence for birth control. Obviously it works, but it only works if you actually do it, or in the case of abstinence, it works if you don't "do it". Clearly for the vast majority of people, calorie counting is not something which is long term sustainable For them. I'm happy for scientists to carry on looking at other ways which have a better compliance rate.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    CICO for weight management is like abstinence for birth control. Obviously it works, but it only works if you actually do it, or in the case of abstinence, it works if you don't "do it". Clearly for the vast majority of people, calorie counting is not something which is long term sustainable For them. I'm happy for scientists to carry on looking at other ways which have a better compliance rate.

You haven't seen me eat, then.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

CICO isn't calorie counting. I'm being so pedantic today.

• Phoenix_Down
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I don't understand how you say CICO isn't sustainable long term when it's the overall basis of weight gain/loss or maintenance. It's not a diet. Regardless of what approach you take it still comes down to CICO.

^this too.

Admittedly my mind went straight to the gutter on this thread xD
  • bunsen_honeydew
    Options
    I'm using CICO as a label for calorie restriction by counting them. Like, with numbers, and by measuring things (also with numbers). As opposed to caloric restriction by following rules from a Diet Programme (TM)
  • bunsen_honeydew
    Options
    > it's not a diet

Yes it is. It's a diet that you have to do for as long as you wish to lose/maintain your body mass.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Except that's not actually what this was.
  • Phoenix_Down
    edited May 2015
    Options
    > it's not a diet

Yes it is. It's a diet that you have to do for as long as you wish to lose/maintain your body mass.

I think you're confused.

Okay, so you're waiting on scientists to change thermodynamics to enable you to eat to your hearts content without gaining weight? Me too. I'll wait in that line because there's at least 6 flavors of Talenti I'd like to eat in succession without gaining.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Options
    I'm using CICO as a label for calorie restriction by counting them. Like, with numbers, and by measuring things (also with numbers). As opposed to caloric restriction by following rules from a Diet Programme (TM)

But CICO isn't a label for counting. It's how you gain/maintain/lose weight. And following the rules of any diet is still based on that principle