Options

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    The key term here is "long term". While counting calories works well for weight loss, that doesn't mean it works well for long term maintenance. Realistically, I don't see myself logging everything I eat for the rest of my life, so either I'm going to do something else, or I'll gain weight

That's making the assumption that just because you have success with counting and logging calories with an app like this the no one will have success with now being aware of the calories and macros in foods without having to track day in and day out. There are people that do have continued success.

I don't know what you are trying to say. Perhaps you could edit for grammar, so we all know what you are trying to say.
    The key term here is "long term". While counting calories works well for weight loss, that doesn't mean it works well for long term maintenance. Realistically, I don't see myself logging everything I eat for the rest of my life, so either I'm going to do something else, or I'll gain weight

FOR YOU. Again, generalizing doesn't work.

There's no one solution. For some people, continued counting/logging works very well.

I've got no problem with that. I'm just pointing out that not everyone is going to count calories for the rest of their lives, so we shouldn't discount what the article says, just because some of the MFP community think they will count calories from now on. Not everyone is like you.

You know very well you understand what I'm saying. You can choose to ignore the point if you'd like. Others understood it perfectly fine when they commented.

@MrM27, no I don't understand what you are saying. What does "that no one will have success with now being aware" mean? It is like you got some of your words mixed up and I'm not sure what words you meant to put in their place.

Here. Since you want to fixate on a word when you know very well what I meant.

"That's making the assumption that just because you have success with counting and logging calories with an app like this [that] no one will have success with now being aware of the calories and macros in foods without having to track day in and day out."

So, you're suggesting that people won't long their calories, but they'll still count their calories? Perhaps, but again, we're talking about long term.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

That's making the assumption that just because you have success with counting and logging calories with an app like this the no one will have success with now being aware of the calories and macros in foods without having to track day in and day out. There are people that do have continued success.

I don't know what you are trying to say. Perhaps you could edit for grammar, so we all know what you are trying to say.

There's no one solution. For some people, continued counting/logging works very well.

I've got no problem with that. I'm just pointing out that not everyone is going to count calories for the rest of their lives, so we shouldn't discount what the article says, just because some of the MFP community think they will count calories from now on. Not everyone is like you.

You know very well you understand what I'm saying. You can choose to ignore the point if you'd like. Others understood it perfectly fine when they commented.

@MrM27, no I don't understand what you are saying. What does "that no one will have success with now being aware" mean? It is like you got some of your words mixed up and I'm not sure what words you meant to put in their place.

"That's making the assumption that just because you have success with counting and logging calories with an app like this [that] no one will have success with now being aware of the calories and macros in foods without having to track day in and day out."

So, you're suggesting that people won't long their calories, but they'll still count their calories? Perhaps, but again, we're talking about long term.

You think everyone that lost weight being on MFP still log food?

No.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

I think the key point here is that successful people are aware. How they apply that awareness can take many forms. Just like the losing weight part, it's finding what works for you. Some people will continue counting and logging, some people won't. Doesn't mean the people who don't count and log won't be successful.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Psst, love the new profile pic MrM :)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    CICO for weight management is like abstinence for birth control. Obviously it works, but it only works if you actually do it, or in the case of abstinence, it works if you don't "do it". Clearly for the vast majority of people, calorie counting is not something which is long term sustainable For them. I'm happy for scientists to carry on looking at other ways which have a better compliance rate.

What a great analogy.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Since being on MFP and counting calories, and counting exercise, I have lot 18 pounds. Doesn't seem like a lot, about a pound a week, but prior, I had lost another 9 pounds. It's going slowly, but it's going. I find that personally, when I stop exercising, that my weight doesn't budge, as though exercise fuels my metabolism. If CICO doesn't work, I don't know what does. I delete "friends" when they don't log on for more than 20 days because it indicates they have given up. If they come back, I'll be glad to accept them as friends again.

Bottom line: Stop trying, and start doing. CICO works.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Since being on MFP and counting calories, and counting exercise, I have lot 18 pounds. Doesn't seem like a lot, about a pound a week, but prior, I had lost another 9 pounds. It's going slowly, but it's going. I find that personally, when I stop exercising, that my weight doesn't budge, as though exercise fuels my metabolism. If CICO doesn't work, I don't know what does. I delete "friends" when they don't log on for more than 20 days because it indicates they have given up. If they come back, I'll be glad to accept them as friends again.

Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Trying you are... Doing you are not.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Huh?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Huh?

Lol, never mind. I turned your quote into a yoda quote because I saw the yoda link.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Huh?

Lol, never mind. I turned your quote into a yoda quote because I saw the yoda link.

As long as you're having a good time, I commend you!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

You're disagreeing with what he said and then saying what he said....again.

Well, he restated what I said upthread, which made this whole thing a circle in the first place.

Might as well play along.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

OMG... you and Leo are too cute.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

But the study has NOTHING to do with calorie counting.

This can't be stressed enough.

These observational studies are disease prevalence studies. Not dietary strategy studies.
    Consider the questionnaires for Nurses Health (included in the meta analysis):
    http://www.channing.harvard.edu/nhs/?page_id=246

How many questionnaires can you find that even mention calorie counting?

Consider a technique x in population y. If only a very small percent of the population is even trying the technique - it could be much more successful within this group - but it will be statistically insignificant because of infrequency of use. Or it can be drowned out by reported use due to question bias - "Have you ever counted calories for weight loss?" Yeah, I tired it for a week, didn't work - gets reported as "yes" - oh, did t lose weight? Calorie counting doesn't work!

These studies are next to useless in post study analysis of this type. They aren't intended for this.

It's also why the are so bad communicating results about: people that eat yogurt lost weight or people that eat cheese gained weight. No the yogurt/cheese aren't causing the loss or gain but one is likely part of the cornocopia of someone trying to eat healthy (those commercials on active culture of yogurts really sell "health") and cheese is, in a lot of American recipes, an add on to other primary meal elements (pasta, burgers, etc) served in sauces, melted, etc... The study only points to people eating with more sauces, etc. The same type of evaluation of French diet (where cheese is recognized as a more stand alone food) doesn't show the same population with weight gain...

Based on these type of studies, having a Dean of Nutrition state that "calorie counting doesn't work" is a nice sound bite, but both spacious and a disservice to patients.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

But the study has NOTHING to do with calorie counting.

I wouldn't know, since I haven't seen the study, but Dr. Mozaffarian, who authored the study seems to think it did. I tend to think the people who did a study are more likely to know what they did than someone who has just read their work.

Wait, you are arguing about a study you haven't read or seen - because the senior investigator said something something?
    You are aware that he isn't the primary investigator? That he didn't do the research, or the analysis? That at best he funded, review the work and set guidelines?

That the comment he made is nowhere to be seen in the publication?

• EvgeniZyntx
    Options

OMG... you and Leo are too cute.
    That is a great picture.