Perspective - Not all calories created equal

2456710

Replies

  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I tried to conduct electricity through 6 inches of yarn...it was HORRIBLE! But 6 inches of copper wiring was awesome.

    Conclusion: Copper wiring is good, yarn is bad. Not all inches are created equal.

    ever heard of superconducting yams? ;)
  • nknjansen
    nknjansen Posts: 33 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I tried to conduct electricity through 6 inches of yarn...it was HORRIBLE! But 6 inches of copper wiring was awesome.

    Conclusion: Copper wiring is good, yarn is bad. Not all inches are created equal.

    Good thing we don't use inches to measure conductivity.

    Just like we don't use calories to measure micro or macronutrient content.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    I'll take the donut, thanks.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I tried to conduct electricity through 6 inches of yarn...it was HORRIBLE! But 6 inches of copper wiring was awesome.

    Conclusion: Copper wiring is good, yarn is bad. Not all inches are created equal.

    But that doesn't make the yard bad. Because if I want to wrap my baby, I don't want an afghan made of copper wire.

    Along the same thread (oops, pun!), if what I need right now is the veggies, the spring rolls may be the right thing. But if I've met my protein needs and had enough vegetables but have the 300 calories left over, you bet I'm going for the sweet treat. Probably not THAT donut (sorry, it doesn't look like the kind I'd go for), but maybe a fresh bakery donut. Or half a pint of gelato. Because it's yummy and I have room.

    Hmm ... I wonder in the analogy above which food is the copper wire and which is the yarn. Because both materials could be argued as being incredibly beneficial, just for different uses. So why can't the foods?
  • terra819
    terra819 Posts: 27 Member
    What kind of mustard is that?

    The authentic stadium mustard. really good! only 5 cals per serving.

  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited May 2015
    nniznik wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I tried to conduct electricity through 6 inches of yarn...it was HORRIBLE! But 6 inches of copper wiring was awesome.

    Conclusion: Copper wiring is good, yarn is bad. Not all inches are created equal.

    Good thing we don't use inches to measure conductivity.

    Just like we don't use calories to measure micro or macronutrient content.

    (that's sort of the point I was trying to make to the OP's argument that 'not all calories are equal')

    mathjulz wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I tried to conduct electricity through 6 inches of yarn...it was HORRIBLE! But 6 inches of copper wiring was awesome.

    Conclusion: Copper wiring is good, yarn is bad. Not all inches are created equal.

    But that doesn't make the yard bad. Because if I want to wrap my baby, I don't want an afghan made of copper wire.

    Along the same thread (oops, pun!), if what I need right now is the veggies, the spring rolls may be the right thing. But if I've met my protein needs and had enough vegetables but have the 300 calories left over, you bet I'm going for the sweet treat. Probably not THAT donut (sorry, it doesn't look like the kind I'd go for), but maybe a fresh bakery donut. Or half a pint of gelato. Because it's yummy and I have room.

    Hmm ... I wonder in the analogy above which food is the copper wire and which is the yarn. Because both materials could be argued as being incredibly beneficial, just for different uses. So why can't the foods?

    Sorry I guess I forgot to use the sarcasm font. My bad.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Meh. I'd eat the spring rolls even if they were higher in calories than the donut. Who wants a dried out, crumbly, nasty old donut anyway?

    But I'd absolutely eat 300 calories of steak rather than 300 calories of spring rolls. It's all in what you prefer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    my issue with doughnuts and muffins and stuff like that is for the calories, they just don't fill me up. I typically have scrambled eggs with black beans smothered in NM green chiles with a low sodium V8 for breakfast. It clocks in somewhere between 400 - 500 calories; in the break room this morning I saw that someone brought in Blueberry muffins...out of curiosity I looked at the calorie count and it was 500...just not worth it to me...I don't like that kind of stuff much to begin with, but my belly would never be satisfied with that little muffin.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I tried to conduct electricity through 6 inches of yarn...it was HORRIBLE! But 6 inches of copper wiring was awesome.

    Conclusion: Copper wiring is good, yarn is bad. Not all inches are created equal.
    3xolbm4mgn2l.jpg

    I'll take the donut. I'd rather eat a food I like than a food I don't like.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    What if I told you you could have both?
  • spat095
    spat095 Posts: 105 Member
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Yeah seriously, your spring rolls look really tasty! :smile:

    They really do haha, what's the sauce like?
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I think the take away from this thread is there needs to be some sort of donut-spingroll hybrid. Like maybe donuts stuffed in the springroll or maybe instead of rice paper you have something like donut paper with veggies still inside of it. Either way it's glazed. That's a given. Also I'm using nacho cheese instead of mustard. That's just me though.

    I was thinking the same thing!

  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    What if I told you you could have both?

    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhsqYEcmgjGP25P0dNrM78QTm0EJCJRb4_PhHsDC_ZmW0CJ_Qyyg
  • terra819
    terra819 Posts: 27 Member
    spat095 wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Yeah seriously, your spring rolls look really tasty! :smile:

    They really do haha, what's the sauce like?

    They were really good :) but unfortunately the rice wrapper was soggy and it fell apart, so it was a huge salad, but with the mustard I don't even care. It tasted great! and honestly I'd rather eat it than the doughnut anyway, regardless of the calorie count.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    terra819 wrote: »
    What are some calorie comparisons that you have discovered since using mfp that are pretty amazing?

    Can't really think of any--I haven't been especially surprised about the calories in anything. (I knew non starchy vegetables were low calorie and that donuts were higher calorie per volume, of course. I guess sometimes the amount which meat can vary strikes me.)

    I also almost never find myself choosing between food options based on calories. I like my meals to be a consistent number of calories usually and tend to choose a mix of foods that will hit it. For example, breakfast involves eggs (I'd never choose whites only, even though they have fewer calories), veggies, fruit and dairy, typically. Some of those have more calories, some less, I choose them because I enjoy them and they make a balanced meal that also tastes good to me.

    Oh, and I don't see what any of this has to do with a calorie is a calorie. If one is a volume eater (which I am, to a certain extent) some foods have more volume and fewer calories than others, of course, but no one argues about that, and since we can eat a variety of foods it doesn't mean that any are too calorie dense to include in some amount in an overall diet. (Well, I'd not waste calories by putting oil and butter in my coffee, but that's me--I don't like to drink calories in general.)
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, OP, but your point was NOT that you cannot eat a donut. The point was more that you were amazed that those two gigantic spring rolls have the same calories as a donut... and for you, the two spring rolls are much better than the donut.

    As I've started paying attention to calories, I've found that I'm much more picky about how I spend them because I want to be happy with the choice that I made. Sometimes it's a frozen yogurt, sometimes it's a piece of fruit, sometimes I get an ice cream cone from Dairy Queen. Regardless of what I eat, I want to be happy with it - both from a taste perspective and a calorie perspective.
  • terra819
    terra819 Posts: 27 Member
    mscheftg wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, OP, but your point was NOT that you cannot eat a donut. The point was more that you were amazed that those two gigantic spring rolls have the same calories as a donut... and for you, the two spring rolls are much better than the donut.

    Exactly :) Since MFP is a site dedicated to counting calories in attempts to control weight... Thank you for clarifying for me.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    I also enjoy comparing caloric count in foods. I think if everyone understood the tremendous differences in calorie counts many people would be in better shape. People are often shocked when I point out how many calories are in things like a fast food chicken sandwich!
  • terra819
    terra819 Posts: 27 Member
    I also enjoy comparing caloric count in foods. I think if everyone understood the tremendous differences in calorie counts many people would be in better shape. People are often shocked when I point out how many calories are in things like a fast food chicken sandwich!

    Agreed. I try to think of the calorie limit set by mfp as a "budget" where I can spend on either this or that, but which one is going to leave me fuller? Even if it is a sweet tooth I need to satisfy, which can I have more of; a bowl of strawberries or a piece of pie. I'd choose the one I can eat more of most of the time. The important thing (to me anyway) is giving yourself a choice.