Empty calories list....

Options

Replies

• Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options

[/quote]

But honestly, look around the next time you're out and about. *Most* people aren't fat from healthy food. With enough skills they could learn to eat those foods in moderation, but they need to start somewhere.

.[/quote]

spot on - no one got fat from grilled protein and vegies

easy to over eat on the devlish stuff

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    pmadpt wrote: »
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    What exactly is "solid fat"? What foods would be an example of something that contains a "not solid fat" that would apparently not be an empty calorie? Confused.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Also, nice to know that I added some "empty calories" to my omelet this morning (feta cheese).

Cheese is so not empty! I don't even love cheese very much, but I rely on it to help me reach my protein goals as well as my calcium. Bang for the buck, people!

Hi,

You can get the daily amount of calcium through a tablespoon of sesame and linseed omega 3 by a soup spoon. the protein you can get from broccoli .

I stopped drinking milk because several negative studies , and I chose to make my own almond milk with honey and pure cocoa .

100 grams of broccoli has 3 grams of protein. You cannot reasonably get your protein from broccoli. (Granted, it's a slightly better source of protein than fat.)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sydking wrote: »
    But honestly, look around the next time you're out and about. *Most* people aren't fat from healthy food. With enough skills they could learn to eat those foods in moderation, but they need to start somewhere.

spot on - no one got fat from grilled protein and vegies

easy to over eat on the devlish everything stuff

[/quote]

fixed it for you

• lemurcat12
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    What exactly is "solid fat"? What foods would be an example of something that contains a "not solid fat" that would apparently not be an empty calorie? Confused.
    Also, nice to know that I added some "empty calories" to my omelet this morning (feta cheese).

Cheese is so not empty! I don't even love cheese very much, but I rely on it to help me reach my protein goals as well as my calcium. Bang for the buck, people!

Hi,

You can get the daily amount of calcium through a tablespoon of sesame and linseed omega 3 by a soup spoon. the protein you can get from broccoli .

I stopped drinking milk because several negative studies , and I chose to make my own almond milk with honey and pure cocoa .

You want me to eat broccoli to get my 130g of protein per day? And also to fill my fat requirements? I never knew broccoli was so magical.

You only need about 4300 grams of broccoli.

Get eating!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Someone posted this link in another thread as a "definition for empty calories.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/calories/empty-calories.html

here is a snippet

Solid fats and added sugars can make a food or beverage more appealing, but they also can add a lot of calories. The foods and beverages that provide the most empty calories for Americans are:
    picture of pepperoni pizza Cakes, cookies, pastries, and donuts (contain both solid fat and added sugars)
    Sodas, energy drinks, sports drinks, and fruit drinks (contain added sugars)
    Cheese (contains solid fat)
    Pizza (contains solid fat)
    Ice cream (contains both solid fat and added sugars)
    Sausages, hot dogs, bacon, and ribs (contain solid fat)

I found the list totally ridiculous. I am not sure how pizza would be an empty calorie as it provides fat, protein, and carbs. Also, I don't see how any calorie can be empty as one calorie = one unit of energy ....

Feel free to discus....

Derpers gonna derp.

And people who hate on pizza can all go die in a fire.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Hi,

You want me to eat broccoli to get my 130g of protein per day? And also to fill my fat requirements? I never knew broccoli was so magical.

Get eating!

I'm turning green just thinking about it...
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Empty calories? No. All calories are full...of deliciousness.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Hi,

Get eating!

Various parts of me are clenching at the thought.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Hi,

Get eating!

Various parts of me are clenching at the thought.

I'm wondering how many air purifiers I'd need to buy...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I just noticed that ribs on is on that list…how the hell would ribs be empty??????
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    What in the world are you even talking about? Diluting nutrients? Fats dilute nutrients? Sugar dilutes nutrients? The glucose in fruit dilutes nutrients? Oh wait, i guess they have to be refined for your body to do that right? And who eats deep fried gummi bears covered in sugar? If there was ever a strawman award you ended the contest forever with that one.

You aren't using your ability to apply situations to real life.

You are right, I refrained from real life situations. I don't think I set up a false representation of the argument, or any arguments for that matter. I was just trying to offer a hypothetical and stylized example to illustrate how the actual measurement probably is made. I am sorry if this was not clear.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    What in the world are you even talking about? Diluting nutrients? Fats dilute nutrients? Sugar dilutes nutrients? The glucose in fruit dilutes nutrients? Oh wait, i guess they have to be refined for your body to do that right? And who eats deep fried gummi bears covered in sugar? If there was ever a strawman award you ended the contest forever with that one.

You aren't using your ability to apply situations to real life.

You are right, I refrained from real life situations. I don't think I set up a false representation of the argument, or any arguments for that matter. I was just trying to offer a hypothetical and stylized example to illustrate how the actual measurement probably is made. I am sorry if this was not clear.

In a real life example, you can hit all your nutrients long before you're at 2000 calories.
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    I just noticed that ribs on is on that list…how the hell would ribs be empty??????

Don't you know? Any sort of sauce immediately cancels out all other nutritional value. Ribs, salads, pasta, enchiladas...

And now I regret my choice of popcorn for dinner.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Don't you know? Any sort of sauce immediately cancels out all other nutritional value. Ribs, salads, pasta, enchiladas...

right, so when i put BBQ sauce on my ribs they become empty …

I guess I should move out of the south ….
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    So what do they eat? Air?? :D
    They eat cauliflower pizzas topped with fat free cheese!

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

lol dammit, why don't I have a like button.

This looks more like a delicious calorie list.
  • 3bambi3
    Options

I'll save you from yourself. Just ship me all of your delicious bbq and I will properly dispose of it...
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2015
    Options

I don't think it's just the sauce. I think they are saying anything high fat (if it's sat fat, at least).

That's why my examples of pork shoulder and skin-on chicken above would have lots of empty calories according to that way of thinking about it.

Which, for the record, I do not agree with.

Edit to add:

"Solid fats are fats that are solid at room temperature, like butter, beef fat, and shortening. Some solid fats are found naturally in foods."