Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I just noticed that ribs on is on that list…how the hell would ribs be empty??????

Don't you know? Any sort of sauce immediately cancels out all other nutritional value. Ribs, salads, pasta, enchiladas...

And now I regret my choice of popcorn for dinner.

right, so when i put BBQ sauce on my ribs they become empty …

I guess I should move out of the south ….

I don't think it's just the sauce. I think they are saying anything high fat (if it's sat fat, at least).

That's why my examples of pork shoulder and skin-on chicken above would have lots of empty calories according to that way of thinking about it.

Which, for the record, I do not agree with.

Edit to add:

"Solid fats are fats that are solid at room temperature, like butter, beef fat, and shortening. Some solid fats are found naturally in foods."

I don't get the hate for "solid fats." So butter isn't good, but olive oil is okay? Even though butter has a better micronutrient profile. It just seems so arbitrary.
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    What in the world are you even talking about? Diluting nutrients? Fats dilute nutrients? Sugar dilutes nutrients? The glucose in fruit dilutes nutrients? Oh wait, i guess they have to be refined for your body to do that right? And who eats deep fried gummi bears covered in sugar? If there was ever a strawman award you ended the contest forever with that one.

You aren't using your ability to apply situations to real life.
    Can you answer the real life situation I asked earlier?

You didn't ask. You just mocked me. But, you seem to argue that there is no empty calories. That all food serves a function. That food should not be divided into good or bad, and that fat and sugar is not evil. I agree.
    I have only tried to understand the definitions and measurements that were stated on the link in the original post. What they are actually measuring, and whether it is a useful variable regardless of whether it is called empty calories or not.

I am definitely abandoning this thread now though. I misunderstood the situation.

• pmadpt
    pmadpt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    pmadpt wrote: »
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    What exactly is "solid fat"? What foods would be an example of something that contains a "not solid fat" that would apparently not be an empty calorie? Confused.
    Also, nice to know that I added some "empty calories" to my omelet this morning (feta cheese).

Cheese is so not empty! I don't even love cheese very much, but I rely on it to help me reach my protein goals as well as my calcium. Bang for the buck, people!

Hi,

You can get the daily amount of calcium through a tablespoon of sesame and linseed omega 3 by a soup spoon. the protein you can get from broccoli .

I stopped drinking milk because several negative studies , and I chose to make my own almond milk with honey and pure cocoa .

please link us to the negative studies….

Hi,

here is one from sweden:

http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g6015
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    What exactly is "solid fat"? What foods would be an example of something that contains a "not solid fat" that would apparently not be an empty calorie? Confused.
    Also, nice to know that I added some "empty calories" to my omelet this morning (feta cheese).

Cheese is so not empty! I don't even love cheese very much, but I rely on it to help me reach my protein goals as well as my calcium. Bang for the buck, people!

Hi,

You can get the daily amount of calcium through a tablespoon of sesame and linseed omega 3 by a soup spoon. the protein you can get from broccoli .

I stopped drinking milk because several negative studies , and I chose to make my own almond milk with honey and pure cocoa .

You can. So what? You can also reproduce without ever having sex. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • pmadpt
    Options

Hi,

You can. So what? You can also reproduce without ever having sex. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Look you can eat whatever you want.

I am not forcing anyone to eat these foods, just sharing some information.

If you like your sodas with pizzas, just keep eating them.

• pmadpt
    Options
    from this website:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/475404-definition-of-empty-calories/

"Other sources of empty calories may contain important nutrients, but their calorie count is so high that it makes little difference. Examples include fried chicken, whole milk and regular ground beef, which contain protein as well as a high amount of solid fats, as well as sweetened applesauce and cereals, both of which contain fiber and other vitamins, as well as added sugars. "
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Livestrong isn't a reputable site to get information from.
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    from this website:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/475404-definition-of-empty-calories/

"Other sources of empty calories may contain important nutrients, but their calorie count is so high that it makes little difference. Examples include fried chicken, whole milk and regular ground beef, which contain protein as well as a high amount of solid fats, as well as sweetened applesauce and cereals, both of which contain fiber and other vitamins, as well as added sugars. "

What is your point? Aside from giving another definition of empty calories, which is pretty much the same as the one linked in the OP?
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Who can hate butter?! My god...it's devine! Just don't eat a cup full?
  • pmadpt
    Options

Hi,

Hi,

here is one from sweden:

That is probably the weirdest study I've ever seen. I don't even know where to begin.

This study made the spotlight in many newschannels in europe.

Why do you think is weird?

I view some good points:

- Made by sweden
    - made by a public, independent organism
    - objective

• 3bambi3
    Options

Hi,

Hi,

here is one from sweden:

That is probably the weirdest study I've ever seen. I don't even know where to begin.

I just keep thinking...they spent 20+ years on that. Why?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Hi,

Hi,

here is one from sweden:

the fact that the woman were aged 45 to 74 and they followed them for 20 years and then list that some died….oh really? you mean from old age?????? What the hell...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Right, I understand. Pizza isn't necessarily bad. None of it is "bad" eaten in moderation. But that's the problem with most of our culture...no one actually knows what moderation is anymore. Someone who is used to downing 8 slices of pizza might need to take a break from it until he figures out what an appropriate portion is.

I'm not saying this is a perfect approach, but as evidenced by the growing obesity problem, most people really can't control themselves without going through a lot of education and change.
    To use your logic, wouldn't a better approach be to teach someone what an appropriate portion is, rather than tell them the food is "empty calories" and should be avoided? If they read this list and stop eating pizza because it's empty, they still won't learn what an appropriate portion for pizza is. Rather than focusing on "good foods" and "bad foods" (which is what referencing "empty calories" really is,) the focus should be on portion size and overall nutrition.
  • 3bambi3
    Options

Hi,

Hi,

here is one from sweden:

This study made the spotlight in many newschannels in europe.

Why do you think is weird?

I view some good points:

- Made by sweden
    - made by a public, independent organism
    - objective

IKEA furniture is also made by Sweden. But I don't expect my Karlstad sofa to last for 20 years and, unlike this study, at least I know what the point of its existence is.

If everyone in this study owned a Karlstad sofa, you could draw the same conclusions. Except it would be hip fractures from crappy polyfoam cushions instead of lactose, and death by furniture collapse instead of natural causes.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Empty calories = kale

There is nothing redeeming about those calories
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Empty calories = kale

Agreed.

But according to the link in the OP, even a serving of fruit-flavored low-fat yogurt is my daily allowance of empty calories.

I think that's the first time I've seen yogurt labelled as nutritionally deficient.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Empty calories = kale

Oh, c'mon. It so happens that I can meet my protein goal and get about half of my fat goal with just 2700 grams of kale. Also 97 grams of fiber and 61 grams of sugar!