Cutting junk food out of my diet?

Options

Replies

• johnnifast
    johnnifast Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It is definitely hard. I am on a 12-day streak utilizing IIFYM. Coming from lowcarb, the cravings for carbs/sweets were intense at first. But if you allow yourself a small amount of 'junk' each day, the cravings eventually go away. The help of drinking lots of water and pre-workouts that contain fatburners help as well. Shooting for 100 days! My 'junk' usually consist of either 1-2 poptarts and/or 1 serving of ice cream. Take it day by day and you'll eventually know yourself to stop/slowdown. Things just don't happen overnight. Patience and trial-and-error.
  • apoc3
    apoc3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I don't rely on these message boards to keep me motivated or inspired. Some of you people in here are serious jerks.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    here is the list:

Cakes, cookies, pastries, and donuts (contain both solid fat and added sugars)
    Sodas, energy drinks, sports drinks, and fruit drinks (contain added sugars)
    Cheese (contains solid fat)
    Pizza (contains solid fat)
    Ice cream (contains both solid fat and added sugars)
    Sausages, hot dogs, bacon, and ribs (contain solid fat)

how can pizza be empty if it has protein, fat, and carbs? would vegetable pizza still be empty even though you would get a lot of micros from it???

The link clearly defines it's definition of "empty calories" - solid fat and added sugar.

Which...IMO...is a dumb definition.

I'm guessing I would be pretty safe to assume the article was written/reviewed by someone with at least a Master's Degree in Nutrition and it's calling a spade a spade.

The article does say at the end:

"A small amount of empty calories is okay, but most people eat far more than is healthy. It is important to limit empty calories to the amount that fits your calorie and nutrient needs. You can lower your intake by eating and drinking foods and beverages containing empty calories less often or by decreasing the amount you eat or drink."

I think all of us could agree this is a true statement.

empty implies that said calories have zero benefit …but 50 calories of fat gives you 50 units of energy so it is not empty …

again, ridiculous definition is ridiculous.

the only empty calorie is a zero calorie food like water….

are you saying you feel just as fuelled, energetic, and satiated after a bag of chips as you are with a sandwich for the same cals?

i'd be amazed if so. i know for myself, my stomach might be "full" after eating chips, in the sense that i have to stop at some point, but it's nowhere near as filling as real food (and please, everyone knows what i mean by "real food"). also that "fullness" from chips tends not to last very long, for me at least. got to have more there, there.

where did I say anything about me in that sentence you quoted?

I said 50 calories of fat = 50 units of energy. Therefore, to claim that fat is an empty calorie is ridiculous.

feelings have nothing to do with it.

and my point is that if the sandwich is better in teh ways i said, spending those cals on chips is a waste.

which has absolutely nothing to do with my point that 50 calories of fat = 50 calories of energy, hence they are not empty.

Just because you think something is a waste does not negate basic physics.

Physics is physics but humans are biological systems, not machines.

50 cals of fat or low-fiber carbs on their own is not going to do the job for most people. And I'm fairly sure those of us who are not sated on something like that feel that way for physiological and not psychological reasons.

Please re read my comment and try to comprehend it. Your responses have nothing to do with what I am saying.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is a strategy exactly, but I cook daily and my meals are generally things I really like and enjoy. I find the junk has less pull on me if I'm getting my "hit" elsewhere. Also, I have a husband and kids so there is always some degree of junk food in the house, but I notice I've gotten a lot pickier about what I'm willing to spend calories on. Oreos have no power over me anymore (although I used to eat them mindlessly), but we had these gorgeous, bakery style m&m cookies in the house last week and I was sure to make room in my day for those. Aim for really loving what you eat, not just eating what's there.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    apoc3 wrote: »
    I'm glad I don't rely on these message boards to keep me motivated or inspired. Some of you people in here are serious jerks.

Strong first post.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    here is the list:

how can pizza be empty if it has protein, fat, and carbs? would vegetable pizza still be empty even though you would get a lot of micros from it???

The link clearly defines it's definition of "empty calories" - solid fat and added sugar.

I'm guessing I would be pretty safe to assume the article was written/reviewed by someone with at least a Master's Degree in Nutrition and it's calling a spade a spade.

"A small amount of empty calories is okay, but most people eat far more than is healthy. It is important to limit empty calories to the amount that fits your calorie and nutrient needs. You can lower your intake by eating and drinking foods and beverages containing empty calories less often or by decreasing the amount you eat or drink."

empty implies that said calories have zero benefit …but 50 calories of fat gives you 50 units of energy so it is not empty …

The article describes empty calorie foods that contain calories but few nutrients

Technically, no. The way the "empty calorie" definition is being used, a food can have lots of empty calories and lots of nutrients too. A pizza made at home with lots of veggies would still have lots of empty calories, according to the definition, if you used lots of cheese (the cheese is contributing the so-called empty calories). A homemade strawberry-rhubarb pie--which has nutrients from the fruit--has loads of empty calories but is not nutrient free or necessarily low nutrient. I imagine a shepherd's pie, if you made it with fattier lamb and some butter, would have lots of empty calories, but I always put in lots of veggies.

Also, any fatty meat contains lots of "empty calories" in this definition. Pretty sure the chicken breast with skin I had this week counts, but that's just silly. Chicken roasted with skin simply tastes much better (IMO) than boneless, skinless breast. If you want to claim that's empty calories and will make me fat, well, whatever, doesn't seem to be the case as to how it affects me personally. Feeling like I had to mostly limit myself to the very leanest cuts of meat would be much less sustainable.

Well, no, you'd be getting fat with the fatty meat.

Not following.

The definition says that fattier cuts of meat contain lots of "empty calories," because the fat in meat is defined as "empty calories."

However, as I said, I don't find that including chicken with skin on it or pork shoulder or a marbled steak makes me fat. It makes me more satisfied, largely because I find the foods more delicious and thus feel less deprived.
    I'm sure there's something going on with combinations of macros in any given food or meal. (Just personally, maybe someone feels like digging up info on this, I know that I'm most full with protein + fat. Like after a yummy steak.)

This varies by person, but is apparently ignored by the person who created the "empty calorie" definition that we are using, as a food with protein and fat (and even veggies too) can easily fall into the "many empty calories" bucket. For example, full fat dairy was one of the examples.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    My method is to avoid it like the plague. I don't go past those aisles in the stores, I avoid the junk machines at work, hell, I'll cross the road to avoid a donut shop. (and before you laugh at me, folks, it has worked. I am at goal.) I do not bring empty calorie items into the house. If husband wants to eat that stuff... and the doctor tells him not to, mind you, but if he still wants to, he can go out to an establishment that serves them and eat them there. The last time I found a low quality icky empty calorie item in my fridge I threw it away and took the trash right out to the dumpster. No more such items have appeared. That said, try frozen fruit smoothies. Strawberries are pretty low cal. Throw frozen strawberries in the food processor with some lowfat milk and a little vanilla. Optionally a frozen banana too if you like them. for 16 oz of this it will be about 200 calories. You don't need to add sugar. Process to the consistency of soft serve and eat with spoon, or add more liquid and drink as a fruit shake.

Notice in advance: I am not going to get sidetracked by ppl looking for arguments into a debate about what constitutes empty calories. This is the official definition and is my only word on the subject. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/calories/empty-calories.html

Thing is, I'm at goal too, have been successfully maintaining for over two years now and I have excellent blood panels, including getting my glucose number from the pre-diabetic range down to an 86. I'm in fantastic health, have great blood pressure and I'm not on any medications. And I eat all the foods that I enjoy, which includes fast food, 'processed' foods, donuts and candy, as well as foods like whole grains, leafy greens, full fat dairy etc etc. I refuse to arbitrarily label certain foods 'good' and certain foods as 'junk'. I've been successful eating all the foods that I like, and I have a healthy relationship with food.

And I won't laugh at you for the extremes that you go to but I do feel sorry for you, because that sounds like an awful way to live. I can't imagine giving certain foods that much power over me, where I can't even be on the same side of the street as it is. Do you realize how distorted that sounds?
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    kxbrown27 wrote: »
    I've heard a few people define empty calories as those that provide little to no micros. Not sure if this qualifies as a legit definition or not.

That's how I understand the implied meaning when people say "empty calories" as well. If a raging alcoholic drinks most of his or her meals, it's common to say they are consuming empty calories not because they are devoid of energy, but because they aren't providing adequate nutrition. And we all know there is a real health danger of long term nutritional deficiencies. So I see it as being calories with little other nutrition, hence empty. Not dangerous or bad in and of itself, but of course over a sustained period can cause issues. Not too much traditional "junk" food is as empty as people think in this regard though. You can find good micros in ice cream, candy bars, pizza, and even chips that don't really qualify the food as "empty." Maybe lacking in some cases.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Read "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. It talks about the modifications to wheat over the last 40 years and how detrimental it is to your health. It was really eye opening since so many things are made from wheat and they are basically like opiates in your brain and make you hungry and have a euphoric effect on you. It cured me of wanting those cookies/crackers when I discovered what it was doing to my body and brain.

I've read it, as well as 'Grain Brain', and I thought they were both rubbish. Just because someone writes a book or makes a documentary doesn't make something true.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    here is the list:

If there are no calories, how can the calories be empty?
    If food have macronutritents which your body can use how are they empty calories?

Because that's what the definition says. It's their made up term with their made up definition in their article.

Which is why it's a bogus statement. They can say whatever the want but the point is that they made up their own definition which isn't accurate. So someone here saying that is the true definition of what an empty calorie is false. Just because you might want to consider something like a soda an empty calorie does not mean someone else won't find it beneficial to something like their training. So to them it's not empty.

Okay.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    apoc3 wrote: »

I think doing the online equivalent of walking into a room and introducing yourself by insulting people is kinda jerkish.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    here is the list:

are you saying you feel just as fuelled, energetic, and satiated after a bag of chips as you are with a sandwich for the same cals?

i'd be amazed if so. i know for myself, my stomach might be "full" after eating chips, in the sense that i have to stop at some point, but it's nowhere near as filling as real food (and please, everyone knows what i mean by "real food"). also that "fullness" from chips tends not to last very long, for me at least. got to have more there, there.

where did I say anything about me in that sentence you quoted?

I said 50 calories of fat = 50 units of energy. Therefore, to claim that fat is an empty calorie is ridiculous.

feelings have nothing to do with it.

and my point is that if the sandwich is better in teh ways i said, spending those cals on chips is a waste.

which has absolutely nothing to do with my point that 50 calories of fat = 50 calories of energy, hence they are not empty.

Just because you think something is a waste does not negate basic physics.

Physics is physics but humans are biological systems, not machines.

50 cals of fat or low-fiber carbs on their own is not going to do the job for most people. And I'm fairly sure those of us who are not sated on something like that feel that way for physiological and not psychological reasons.

Please re read my comment and try to comprehend it. Your responses have nothing to do with what I am saying.

I read and understood your comment. I added something new to it. That's what happens in a conversation
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've heard a few people define empty calories as those that provide little to no micros. Not sure if this qualifies as a legit definition or not.

That's how I understand the implied meaning when people say "empty calories" as well. If a raging alcoholic drinks most of his or her meals, it's common to say they are consuming empty calories not because they are devoid of energy, but because they aren't providing adequate nutrition. And we all know there is a real health danger of long term nutritional deficiencies. So I see it as being calories with little other nutrition, hence empty. Not dangerous or bad in and of itself, but of course over a sustained period can cause issues. Not too much traditional "junk" food is as empty as people think in this regard though. You can find good micros in ice cream, candy bars, pizza, and even chips that don't really qualify the food as "empty." Maybe lacking in some cases.

Don't know if you read the link that sparked this tangent but the definition provided is basically calories devoid of micronutrients, non-solid (unsaturated) fat and protein. So, basically solid (saturated) fat and sugar. Ice cream is not empty calories. Ice cream is high in empty calories.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    here is the list:

The article describes empty calorie foods that contain calories but few nutrients

Technically, no. The way the "empty calorie" definition is being used, a food can have lots of empty calories and lots of nutrients too. A pizza made at home with lots of veggies would still have lots of empty calories, according to the definition, if you used lots of cheese (the cheese is contributing the so-called empty calories). A homemade strawberry-rhubarb pie--which has nutrients from the fruit--has loads of empty calories but is not nutrient free or necessarily low nutrient. I imagine a shepherd's pie, if you made it with fattier lamb and some butter, would have lots of empty calories, but I always put in lots of veggies.

Also, any fatty meat contains lots of "empty calories" in this definition. Pretty sure the chicken breast with skin I had this week counts, but that's just silly. Chicken roasted with skin simply tastes much better (IMO) than boneless, skinless breast. If you want to claim that's empty calories and will make me fat, well, whatever, doesn't seem to be the case as to how it affects me personally. Feeling like I had to mostly limit myself to the very leanest cuts of meat would be much less sustainable.

Not following.

The definition says that fattier cuts of meat contain lots of "empty calories," because the fat in meat is defined as "empty calories."

However, as I said, I don't find that including chicken with skin on it or pork shoulder or a marbled steak makes me fat. It makes me more satisfied, largely because I find the foods more delicious and thus feel less deprived.

Right, same. Is the aesthetic explanation (that you feel less deprived because the foods are subjectively delicious, vs. because of their particular macro ratios) correct, though?

as an aside, I have a feeling we eat more or less the same way
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Okay so then by definition you believe cucumbers and iceburg lettuce are empty right?

Uh. no. Where did you come to that conclusion? Lettuce has lots of vitamin A and potassium, along with fiber. Cucumbers have potassium, fiber, and small amounts of vitamins.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    here is the list:

Not following.

Right, same. Is the aesthetic explanation (that you feel less deprived because the foods are subjectively delicious, vs. because of their particular macro ratios) correct, though?

as an aside, I have a feeling we eat more or less the same way

I think the deliciousness is part of it, because I find it makes a difference to me based on experimentation. I think macros matter too, to some extent. But I don't find, for example, that full fat dairy is more satiating to me than 1 or 2%. (Therefore, I eat lower fat yogurt or cottage cheese much of the time to save room for steak or cheese.) ;-)