Empty calories list....

Options

Replies

• Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    These quotes are also found on that page and on the links directly under this page's link:

Solid fats and added sugars add calories to the food but few or no nutrients. For this reason, the calories from solid fats and added sugars in a food are often called empty calories. (True, not an uncommon expression.)

A small amount of empty calories is okay, but most people eat far more than is healthy. It is important to limit empty calories to the amount that fits your calorie and nutrient needs. You can lower your intake by eating and drinking foods and beverages containing empty calories less often or by decreasing the amount you eat or drink.

The limit for empty calories is based on estimated calorie needs by age/gender group. Physical activity increases calorie needs, so those who are more physically active need more total calories and have a larger limit for empty calories. The chart gives a general guide.
    These amounts are appropriate for individuals who get less than 30 minutes of moderate physical activity most days. Those who are more active need more total calories, and have a higher limit for empty calories. To find your personal total calorie needs and empty calories limit, enter your information into "My Daily Food Plan."

Sounds like moderation (for which the specifics of what that means can be as diverse as how to "eat clean") and what most people on these forums advocate for. Overall, hit your nutrients most of the time and include a treat in your day, which will be influenced by age, gender, activity level. Myplate doesn't advocate a grain/dairy/oil/fat free diet. It's a great resource for people who need or benefit from the structure and information. It also doesn't say that pizza is an empty calorie foods, just that it's a food containing a higher number of empty calories.
  • Maitria
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Would Iceburg lettuce and cucumbers be considered empty calories due to their low nutritional value? Would Lucky Charms be considered a super food?

No, because the definition on MyPlate states that empty calories come from solid fats and/or added sugars. It mentions that things like "A few plant oils, including coconut oil and palm oil, are high in saturated fats and for nutritional purposes are considered solid fats."

"Solid fats and oils provide the same number of calories per gram. However, oils are generally better for your health than solid fats because they contain less saturated fats and/or trans fats." "Oils are NOT a food group, but they provide essential nutrients. Therefore, oils are included in USDA food patterns." "A few plant oils, however, including coconut oil, palm oil, and palm kernel oil, are high in saturated fats and for nutritional purposes should be considered to be solid fats."
  • Maitria
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Always screw up my edits.
  • Maitria
    Options
    Maitria wrote: »
    These quotes are also found on that page and on the links directly under this page's link:

Solid fats and added sugars add calories to the food but few or no nutrients. For this reason, the calories from solid fats and added sugars in a food are often called empty calories. (True, not an uncommon expression.)

A small amount of empty calories is okay, but most people eat far more than is healthy. It is important to limit empty calories to the amount that fits your calorie and nutrient needs. You can lower your intake by eating and drinking foods and beverages containing empty calories less often or by decreasing the amount you eat or drink.

The limit for empty calories is based on estimated calorie needs by age/gender group. Physical activity increases calorie needs, so those who are more physically active need more total calories and have a larger limit for empty calories. The chart gives a general guide.
    These amounts are appropriate for individuals who get less than 30 minutes of moderate physical activity most days. Those who are more active need more total calories, and have a higher limit for empty calories. To find your personal total calorie needs and empty calories limit, enter your information into "My Daily Food Plan."

Sounds like moderation (for which the specifics of what that means can be as diverse as how to "eat clean") and what most people on these forums advocate for. Overall, hit your nutrients most of the time and include a treat in your day, which will be influenced by age, gender, activity level. Myplate doesn't advocate a grain/dairy/oil/fat free diet. It's a great resource for people who need or benefit from the structure and information. It also doesn't say that pizza is an empty calorie foods, just that it's a food containing a higher number of empty calories.

So from what I'm seeing is that saturated fat is considered a "solid fat", right? Are we again saying saturated fat is bad but not because of vitamins and minerals it's lacking? What about the role of saturated fat that is link to testosterone?

They have a link explaining the solid fats v oils and the definitions. Unless I missed it, they don't advocate for completely avoiding saturated fat. And Lucky Charms would not be considered a super food nor an empty calorie food. They would label the calories coming from the added sugars as empty calories, not the entire food.

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Would Iceburg lettuce and cucumbers be considered empty calories due to their low nutritional value? Would Lucky Charms be considered a super food?

This is what I first thought of as "empty calories". Water, Celery, lettuce, etc... Empty means none/zero, so 0 cal. foods. (or close to 0)
    That is just a ridicules label, they need to find a better one.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Empty calories = kale

There is nothing redeeming about those calories

Oh, c'mon. It so happens that I can meet my protein goal and get about half of my fat goal with just 2700 grams of kale. Also 97 grams of fiber and 61 grams of sugar!
    Pfft! That's got nothing on Colon Blow cereal!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Jsckpot! I knew there would be delicious noms on this thread. Now we just need pics!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I should have been obese by now with the amount of empty calories I eat on a daily basis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Maitria
    Options

No, because the definition on MyPlate states that empty calories come from solid fats and/or added sugars. It mentions that things like "A few plant oils, including coconut oil and palm oil, are high in saturated fats and for nutritional purposes are considered solid fats."

"Solid fats and oils provide the same number of calories per gram. However, oils are generally better for your health than solid fats because they contain less saturated fats and/or trans fats." "Oils are NOT a food group, but they provide essential nutrients. Therefore, oils are included in USDA food patterns." "A few plant oils, however, including coconut oil, palm oil, and palm kernel oil, are high in saturated fats and for nutritional purposes should be considered to be solid fats."

How about what I asked above?

Are we again saying saturated fat is bad but not because of vitamins and minerals it's lacking? After your reply I see that it is just the fact that it's saturated fat that makes it empty, what about the role of saturated fat that is link to testosterone?

And please don't reference me back to myplate, give me your answer.

I don't have an answer-I have no horse in that race and no interest in it. The most I know about it is that I consume it when I use coconut oil, and it doesn't bother me. I linked you back to MyPlate because that was the source of this topic, so any claims are their's, not mine. I'm not sure that they are saying that they are bad and never to be consumed. They are saying that as they offer limited nutritional value, for the average person in the population they are targeting, they are something that can be moderated (through portion or lower fat versions.)

I'm not sure I'm being clear, so this is what I believe they are saying as applied to me: "Maitria's favorite way to eat tofu is deep-fried. Unfortunately, frying the tofu adds hundreds of calories that she does not have room for most of the time if she wants to have well-rounded nutrition. Maitria can limit the frequency of how often she eats deep-fried tofu and most of the time opt for tofu prepared some other way. Or, Maitria can become more active to allow for the "empty calories" more often."

• Maitria
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I should have been obese by now with the amount of empty calories I eat on a daily basis.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well, only if you moved the goal posts and cherry-picked from the snippet rather than the totality of what they actually say. Here, this should help: "The limit for empty calories is based on estimated calorie needs by age/gender group. Physical activity increases calorie needs, so those who are more physically active need more total calories and have a larger limit for empty calories."
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well, only if you moved the goal posts and cherry-picked from the snippet rather than the totality of what they actually say. Here, this should help: "The limit for empty calories is based on estimated calorie needs by age/gender group. Physical activity increases calorie needs, so those who are more physically active need more total calories and have a larger limit for empty calories."

I noticed the totality of what they said.

I still didn't like what they said because it's dumbed down and overly simplistic, thus not worth defending.

The phrase "empty calorie" itself is faulty, and then the guidelines about eating them get really
    vague.

MrM has a point. If we're going to judge the worthiness of a food's place in our diets, iceberg lettuce and cucumbers should be on the empty calories list for the relative lack of nutrition the provide, since that seems to be the definition of "empty calorie", per the government.

It's a meaningless, arbitrary term.

• Maitria
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I still didn't like what they said because it's dumbed down and overly simplistic, thus not worth defending.

The phrase "empty calorie" itself is faulty, and then the guidelines about eating them get really vague.

Definitely a case for agree to disagree. :) I personally think MyPlate is a great resource for a lot of people. It's target is likely not the people who already understand it all.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    pmadpt wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    What exactly is "solid fat"? What foods would be an example of something that contains a "not solid fat" that would apparently not be an empty calorie? Confused.
    Also, nice to know that I added some "empty calories" to my omelet this morning (feta cheese).

Cheese is so not empty! I don't even love cheese very much, but I rely on it to help me reach my protein goals as well as my calcium. Bang for the buck, people!

Hi,

You can get the daily amount of calcium through a tablespoon of sesame and linseed omega 3 by a soup spoon. the protein you can get from broccoli .

I stopped drinking milk because several negative studies , and I chose to make my own almond milk with honey and pure cocoa .

please link us to the negative studies….

Hi,

here is one from sweden:

http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g6015

That is probably the weirdest study I've ever seen. I don't even know where to begin.

This study made the spotlight in many newschannels in europe.

Why do you think is weird?

I view some good points:

- Made by sweden
    - made by a public, independent organism
    - objective

The "Chocolate for weightloss" study made spotlight in many newschannels too...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The phrase "empty calorie" itself is faulty, and then the guidelines about eating them get really
    vague.

MrM has a point. If we're going to judge the worthiness of a food's place in our diets, iceberg lettuce and cucumbers should be on the empty calories list for the relative lack of nutrition the provide, since that seems to be the definition of "empty calorie", per the government.

Agreed. It just makes you full but gives you nothing nutritionally, making it harder to hit your goals of the day because you are going to have more problems eating anything after filling up on that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

vague.

Agreed. It just makes you full but gives you nothing nutritionally, making it harder to hit your goals of the day because you are going to have more problems eating anything after filling up on that.

agree as well
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    It's a stupid term. If something has calories it provides energy so therefore is not empty.

This.

My own empty calorie list:

1.Cucumbers
    2.Cucumbers

Empty of taste full of snaily sadness for few calories.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    WOW--This thread took off!! I just ate 752 calories for breakfast and I'm counting every last one and so should everyone who wants to control their weight
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    What exactly is "solid fat"? What foods would be an example of something that contains a "not solid fat" that would apparently not be an empty calorie? Confused.
    Also, nice to know that I added some "empty calories" to my omelet this morning (feta cheese).

Cheese is so not empty! I don't even love cheese very much, but I rely on it to help me reach my protein goals as well as my calcium. Bang for the buck, people!

Hi,

You can get the daily amount of calcium through a tablespoon of sesame and linseed omega 3 by a soup spoon. the protein you can get from broccoli .

I stopped drinking milk because several negative studies , and I chose to make my own almond milk with honey and pure cocoa .

How much broccoli would I have to eat to get 8 grams of protein?