Cutting junk food out of my diet?

Options

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    You need some will power either way. Either to cut it completely or to eat it in moderation.

Empty calorie and junk food argument aside, I agree with this.

Moderation is definitely a learned skill (at least for me). If it wasn't, I'd have never been obese in the first place. It took alot of practice and real understanding of energy/calories to get there. But after my 'lightbullb' moment, it became alot easier. Starting out, it helped to do single serving pouches and such of those types of things.

For cutting out, it's really hard. I don't know about other people, but when I start cutting things out, the more I begin to crave/miss them. That leads to me seeing red and I really can't focus well until I have that/those item(s). Which tends to lead to overeating/binging on said items. And you know they're usually high calorie items, so overeating on them does some serious damage to calorie deficits and such.

So the real problem is really finding the balance. Do you keep trying to moderate or do you cut it out and risk the over consumption? Either way though, you have to exercise some will power and commit.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    kxbrown27 wrote: »
    I've heard a few people define empty calories as those that provide little to no micros. Not sure if this qualifies as a legit definition or not.

That's how I understand the implied meaning when people say "empty calories" as well. If a raging alcoholic drinks most of his or her meals, it's common to say they are consuming empty calories not because they are devoid of energy, but because they aren't providing adequate nutrition. And we all know there is a real health danger of long term nutritional deficiencies. So I see it as being calories with little other nutrition, hence empty. Not dangerous or bad in and of itself, but of course over a sustained period can cause issues. Not too much traditional "junk" food is as empty as people think in this regard though. You can find good micros in ice cream, candy bars, pizza, and even chips that don't really qualify the food as "empty." Maybe lacking in some cases.

Don't know if you read the link that sparked this tangent but the definition provided is basically calories devoid of micronutrients, non-solid (unsaturated) fat and protein. So, basically solid (saturated) fat and sugar. Ice cream is not empty calories. Ice cream is high in empty calories.

Maybe it's a semantics thing. Ice cream has the potential to have a lot of calcium, vitamin D, and protein, so it definitely isn't an empty food. I see it as being generally high in calories though, depending on the type and contents, so it's on my list of foods to watch portion sizes for sure. All of the food on the list in that article can actually have a lot of micros as well. What I'm saying is there aren't too many forms of real empty calorie foods. I listed alcohol as the obvious answer. Sure it provides calories and a buzz, but you wouldn't want that to be your primary form of energy unless you're okay become vitamin deficient and suffering terrible health.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    My method is to avoid it like the plague. I don't go past those aisles in the stores, I avoid the junk machines at work, hell, I'll cross the road to avoid a donut shop. (and before you laugh at me, folks, it has worked. I am at goal.) I do not bring empty calorie items into the house. If husband wants to eat that stuff... and the doctor tells him not to, mind you, but if he still wants to, he can go out to an establishment that serves them and eat them there. The last time I found a low quality icky empty calorie item in my fridge I threw it away and took the trash right out to the dumpster. No more such items have appeared. That said, try frozen fruit smoothies. Strawberries are pretty low cal. Throw frozen strawberries in the food processor with some lowfat milk and a little vanilla. Optionally a frozen banana too if you like them. for 16 oz of this it will be about 200 calories. You don't need to add sugar. Process to the consistency of soft serve and eat with spoon, or add more liquid and drink as a fruit shake.

Notice in advance: I am not going to get sidetracked by ppl looking for arguments into a debate about what constitutes empty calories. This is the official definition and is my only word on the subject. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/weight-management-calories/calories/empty-calories.html

Thing is, I'm at goal too, have been successfully maintaining for over two years now and I have excellent blood panels, including getting my glucose number from the pre-diabetic range down to an 86. I'm in fantastic health, have great blood pressure and I'm not on any medications. And I eat all the foods that I enjoy, which includes fast food, 'processed' foods, donuts and candy, as well as foods like whole grains, leafy greens, full fat dairy etc etc. I refuse to arbitrarily label certain foods 'good' and certain foods as 'junk'. I've been successful eating all the foods that I like, and I have a healthy relationship with food.

And I won't laugh at you for the extremes that you go to but I do feel sorry for you, because that sounds like an awful way to live. I can't imagine giving certain foods that much power over me, where I can't even be on the same side of the street as it is. Do you realize how distorted that sounds?

Agreed. And she's basically controlling how her husband eats, too. It's presumably his house as much as hers and he should be able to put what he wants in the fridge without worrying that she's going to throw it away. He clearly tries to respect how she eats, so she should probably do the same. Just a suggestion :smile:
    OP, I agree with most people here that moderation is just something you have to learn. If you never plan to ever eat 'junk' food ever again, then don't, but most people need at least a little chocolate/ice cream/etc every now and then to be happy. And mental health is just as important as physical health, after all! :blush:
  • mellyhohoho
    mellyhohoho Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OP: Ice cream and potato chips are my downfall, and I have serious issues with that, so I can definitely empathize with you. I designate myself a cheat day where I can have dessert or a handful of chips. I stick to reading labels and keeping to the recommended serving size. If a serving is 13 chips, I take out 13 chips, put it on a plate, and eat it slowly.

With ice cream, when the craving hits, I grab a soup spoon, scoop out enough so that it doesn't fall off the spoon, and just eat that, like one would eat peanut butter.

And then I tell myself no more. It takes an incredible amount of self-control, and I can say that the beginning is always the hardest. But once you get past the first hurdle, you should be fine on your own. I have tried everything from cutting sugar out completely to going on one of those 30 days with no sugar type things, and they've not worked for me.

I hope you find something that works for you!
  • astralpictures
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I've heard a few people define empty calories as those that provide little to no micros. Not sure if this qualifies as a legit definition or not.

That's how I understand the implied meaning when people say "empty calories" as well. If a raging alcoholic drinks most of his or her meals, it's common to say they are consuming empty calories not because they are devoid of energy, but because they aren't providing adequate nutrition. And we all know there is a real health danger of long term nutritional deficiencies. So I see it as being calories with little other nutrition, hence empty. Not dangerous or bad in and of itself, but of course over a sustained period can cause issues. Not too much traditional "junk" food is as empty as people think in this regard though. You can find good micros in ice cream, candy bars, pizza, and even chips that don't really qualify the food as "empty." Maybe lacking in some cases.

Okay so then by definition you believe cucumbers and iceburg lettuce are empty right?

Uh. no. Where did you come to that conclusion? Lettuce has lots of vitamin A and potassium, along with fiber. Cucumbers have potassium, fiber, and small amounts of vitamins.

Completely wrong. If doesn't have lots of anything.

Are you arguing for the sake of arguing? It has those things I mentioned in a small serving size. 52g of cucumbers provide 76mg of potassium, which is enough to aid in reaching that goal. When I snack on cucumbers, I eat much more than 52g, and get about 10% of my daily potassium from them. So yeah.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    here is the list:

Cakes, cookies, pastries, and donuts (contain both solid fat and added sugars)
    Sodas, energy drinks, sports drinks, and fruit drinks (contain added sugars)
    Cheese (contains solid fat)
    Pizza (contains solid fat)
    Ice cream (contains both solid fat and added sugars)
    Sausages, hot dogs, bacon, and ribs (contain solid fat)

how can pizza be empty if it has protein, fat, and carbs? would vegetable pizza still be empty even though you would get a lot of micros from it???

The link clearly defines it's definition of "empty calories" - solid fat and added sugar.

Which...IMO...is a dumb definition.

I'm guessing I would be pretty safe to assume the article was written/reviewed by someone with at least a Master's Degree in Nutrition and it's calling a spade a spade.

The article does say at the end:

"A small amount of empty calories is okay, but most people eat far more than is healthy. It is important to limit empty calories to the amount that fits your calorie and nutrient needs. You can lower your intake by eating and drinking foods and beverages containing empty calories less often or by decreasing the amount you eat or drink."

I think all of us could agree this is a true statement.

empty implies that said calories have zero benefit …but 50 calories of fat gives you 50 units of energy so it is not empty …

again, ridiculous definition is ridiculous.

the only empty calorie is a zero calorie food like water….

are you saying you feel just as fuelled, energetic, and satiated after a bag of chips as you are with a sandwich for the same cals?

i'd be amazed if so. i know for myself, my stomach might be "full" after eating chips, in the sense that i have to stop at some point, but it's nowhere near as filling as real food (and please, everyone knows what i mean by "real food"). also that "fullness" from chips tends not to last very long, for me at least. got to have more there, there.

where did I say anything about me in that sentence you quoted?

I said 50 calories of fat = 50 units of energy. Therefore, to claim that fat is an empty calorie is ridiculous.

feelings have nothing to do with it.

and my point is that if the sandwich is better in teh ways i said, spending those cals on chips is a waste.

which has absolutely nothing to do with my point that 50 calories of fat = 50 calories of energy, hence they are not empty.

Just because you think something is a waste does not negate basic physics.

Physics is physics but humans are biological systems, not machines.

50 cals of fat or low-fiber carbs on their own is not going to do the job for most people. And I'm fairly sure those of us who are not sated on something like that feel that way for physiological and not psychological reasons.

Please re read my comment and try to comprehend it. Your responses have nothing to do with what I am saying.

I read and understood your comment. I added something new to it. That's what happens in a conversation

no, we hare having a conversation about two different things.

You keep bringing up satiety, which, for the purpose of this discussion, I don't give a damn about.

I am talking about the fact that fat is not an empty calories because it containers energy. Hence, my comparison that 50 calories of fat = 50 units of energy.

Try to stay on topic.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I sure hope the calories in wine and beer are not so "empty". I sure do consume a lot of those.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Don't know if you read the link that sparked this tangent but the definition provided is basically calories devoid of micronutrients, non-solid (unsaturated) fat and protein. So, basically solid (saturated) fat and sugar. Ice cream is not empty calories. Ice cream is high in empty calories.

Maybe it's a semantics thing. Ice cream has the potential to have a lot of calcium, vitamin D, and protein, so it definitely isn't an empty food. I see it as being generally high in calories though, depending on the type and contents, so it's on my list of foods to watch portion sizes for sure. All of the food on the list in that article can actually have a lot of micros as well. What I'm saying is there aren't too many forms of real empty calorie foods. I listed alcohol as the obvious answer. Sure it provides calories and a buzz, but you wouldn't want that to be your primary form of energy unless you're okay become vitamin deficient and suffering terrible health.

Well, yes. The article never says there are foods with 100% empty calories. It's saying that eating less foods that are high in empty calories and more of those low in empty calories is a good thing.

An avocado is a high calorie food (for it's size) but it's not high in empty calories.
  • astralpictures
    Options

Okay so then by definition you believe cucumbers and iceburg lettuce are empty right?

Uh. no. Where did you come to that conclusion? Lettuce has lots of vitamin A and potassium, along with fiber. Cucumbers have potassium, fiber, and small amounts of vitamins.

Are you arguing for the sake of arguing? It has those things I mentioned in a small serving size. 52g of cucumbers provide 76mg of potassium, which is enough to aid in reaching that goal. When I snack on cucumbers, I eat much more than 52g, and get about 10% of my daily potassium from them. So yeah.

Nope, I am arguing facts. Let's not get emotions involved in this

Would you consider lucky charms empty calories?

Not at all. A 3/4 cup serving size is fortified with a ton of vitamins and minerals, usually meeting 10%-50% of daily needs (and I eat way more than 3/4 cup). It also has protein, fiber, and tastes delicious. It's the opposite of empty, to me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Maybe it's a semantics thing.

Yes, we are discussing a particular definition which a prior poster linked approvingly.

That definition was, essentially, that saturated fat and sugar are empty calories, so foods with a good amount of them--even if they also have lots of other nutrients--have lots of empty calories.

That's why ice cream has lots of empty calories in that definition, or a homemade pizza with cheese and lots of veggies or various higher calorie cuts of meat (like pork shoulder).
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    There are some foods I just can't seem to eat in moderation (my fault) so I just don't buy them or have them in the house.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    =====

Well, actually, here's what the site Self Nutrition data has to say about iceberg lettuce:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2476/2

And cucumber:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2476/2

Looks like you could definitely do worse for your micros...

Also, a cucumber sandwich in the summertime is quite lovely.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Not at all. A 3/4 cup serving size is fortified with a ton of vitamins and minerals, usually meeting 10%-50% of daily needs (and I eat way more than 3/4 cup). It also has protein, fiber, and tastes delicious. It's the opposite of empty, to me.

But plenty of people have come along saying that all the refined sugar and such makes it empty calories, how can there can 1 food that is both empty and not empty?

Going by the USDA definition (provided in the link), Lucky Charms would not be empty calories. Lucky Charms would be high in empty calories.
  • paulfannin
    paulfannin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you HAVE to have junk food in the house, pre-portion it. As soon as you get home with a bag of chips, divide it up into ziplock bags. Make it a part of putting away groceries. That way you don't sit down and eat an entire bad without knowing it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

But plenty of people have come along saying that all the refined sugar and such makes it empty calories, how can there can 1 food that is both empty and not empty?

Going by the USDA definition (provided in the link), Lucky Charms would not be empty calories. Lucky Charms would be high in empty calories.

again, useless definition is useless. You are still deriving energy from those "empty" calories that you utilize for bodily functions, so they are not empty.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    here is the list:

Cakes, cookies, pastries, and donuts (contain both solid fat and added sugars)
    Sodas, energy drinks, sports drinks, and fruit drinks (contain added sugars)
    Cheese (contains solid fat)
    Pizza (contains solid fat)
    Ice cream (contains both solid fat and added sugars)
    Sausages, hot dogs, bacon, and ribs (contain solid fat)

how can pizza be empty if it has protein, fat, and carbs? would vegetable pizza still be empty even though you would get a lot of micros from it???

The link clearly defines it's definition of "empty calories" - solid fat and added sugar.

Which...IMO...is a dumb definition.

I'm guessing I would be pretty safe to assume the article was written/reviewed by someone with at least a Master's Degree in Nutrition and it's calling a spade a spade.

The article does say at the end:

"A small amount of empty calories is okay, but most people eat far more than is healthy. It is important to limit empty calories to the amount that fits your calorie and nutrient needs. You can lower your intake by eating and drinking foods and beverages containing empty calories less often or by decreasing the amount you eat or drink."

I think all of us could agree this is a true statement.

empty implies that said calories have zero benefit …but 50 calories of fat gives you 50 units of energy so it is not empty …

again, ridiculous definition is ridiculous.

the only empty calorie is a zero calorie food like water….

The article describes empty calorie foods that contain calories but few nutrients

But, those would be nutrient empty foods, not empty calorie foods.

Semantics.
  • RandomA1
    RandomA1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are some foods I just can't seem to eat in moderation (my fault) so I just don't buy them or have them in the house.

This for me. There are some foods that I can have in the house and be perfectly fine eating in moderation. But then there are other foods that I love and will eat them all up in 1 or 2 days :| (when they should last more like a week). For that reason, I don't typically keep sweets or snacks in my apartment. If I get a craving for something sweet, I'll usually make single serve eggless cookie dough or blend almond milk with peanut butter. When I'm out at a restaurant, I still get dessert but it doesn't happen often so I'm fine with that.

Unfortunately, I'm staying at my parents' house for the foreseeable future and they have snacks all over the place lol. I'm not very good with controlling myself, especially sweets, so I'm finding I'm eating way more snacks than I normally would. I've been craving sweets everyday and for me, that's not good since I tend to overdo it. I've been pretty good these past couple days but I need to stick with it.