So you want a nice stomach

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    @Sephixteeo That has been my experience with fat loss, it gets soft and wobbly before it goes, and then suddenly one day it's gone. I have zero scientific data to back this up with whatsoever, but it seems to be "a thing" that happens. Here's an article (again, not remotely scientific) that indicates other people experience similar:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Why is this not a sticky any more? Not to make place for the tips and tricks thread?!
    Maybe it's like people that say to switch exercise or eating times to "confuse your body" or "trick it".

Okay, so since we are all agreement as to the questionable decision regarding this change, has anyone contacted the moderators about it? If so, I missed it. Just curious.

I think you've been here long enough to know that's not how it works around here.

True. And thank you to the others who directed me to what I missed.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Sephixteeo wrote: »
    I love this post!

I do have a question, I'm lifting 2-3 times a week at home (following SL 5x5) but having no squat rack, I'm doing goblet/ front squats, and struggling with the OHP. Also some lighter cardio and circuits with dumbbells while working on form.
    I started shifting over to weights about 8 weeks ago, so don't expect too much of a difference. But, I've lost about 2 inches in my waist and I swear it is looking worse (inner thighs are the same- lost an inch, getting a softer layer of fat. I wanted to get down to about 120-123 , no lower, and then re-comp, but I'm around 125-126 now. Started at 134 or so in March.

All of this to ask, if this is a normal progression, to get softer before it goes? I'm at a 250 cal deficit, and the cardio is for buffer in case I'm off on calories, and I'm just more hungry. Still tweaking the macros. Honestly I'd be okay if the weight is slow to come off or I just leaned out, I'm aiming for loss of fat. Any advice is appreciated.

@Sephixteeo It is very normal for your stomach to look worse before it gets better. Part of this has to do with your fat cells releasing fat and storing water. You'll look bumpy and squishy, but as long as your weight is either staying the same or dropping that's good. You'll get what we call a "whoosh" where you suddenly lose a few pounds and you look a bit leaner.

It sounds like you are on the right path with the lifting (including your squat alternatives) and diet. Stick to it and do like you have been, little adjustments to calories or macros to help with how full you are or if you see your weight start and upward trend.
  • usmcmp
    awnurmarc wrote: »
    " Muscle insurance. There are a variety of studies done on the amount of protein the body needs. I like to think of higher protein as muscle insurance. My suggestion is about 1gram of protein per pound of lean mass. Make sure to get fat in your diet to help joints and metabolic processes. Make sure to get carbs in your diet to fuel workouts."

Still not clear on this. How do I figure out what my lean mass is?

@awnurmarc You're going to have to estimate your body fat. It may be a good idea to do a Dexa scan or BodPod, but using a tape measure combined with the visual comparisons out there you should get a good idea. From that point you can estimate what your lean mass is.

If you don't want to take a few minutes to do that you can multiply your weight by about .7 to get an approximate starting point for grams of protein.
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    Thanks very much, @PeachyPlum and @usmcmp ! I'll stay on with this plan, then. It is good to know things sound like they are going in the right direction.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    I did vent out in the sticky nomination thread.

The stickies by SideSteel and usmcmp and the other great folks on here are what changed my mindset about weight loss and fitness, and consequently my life. I can't believe somebody decided stickies should be "rotated" like the articles in a fad magazine.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Can I interject that there is confusion/assumption that we lose or gain fat cells. We will always have the same number of fat cells it's a matter of their size. Correct?
  • usmcmp
    edited May 2015
    Can I interject that there is confusion/assumption that we lose or gain fat cells. We will always have the same number of fat cells it's a matter of their size. Correct?

There isn't much research into adipose tissue apoptosis (fat cell death). Most of the research out there is inconclusive about long term implications, but researchers have observed necrosis of adipose tissue. Mice studies (which do not necessarily translate to humans) show that fat cells over time will die and not be rejuvenated. Most of these mice studies are the reason why CLA is often suggested as a weight loss aid. I personally think there's hope that we can reduce the number of fat cells over time through maintaining a leaner body, but I don't know to what degree that might happen.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    I love this post!

I do have a question, I'm lifting 2-3 times a week at home (following SL 5x5) but having no squat rack, I'm doing goblet/ front squats, and struggling with the OHP. Also some lighter cardio and circuits with dumbbells while working on form.
    I started shifting over to weights about 8 weeks ago, so don't expect too much of a difference. But, I've lost about 2 inches in my waist and I swear it is looking worse (inner thighs are the same- lost an inch, getting a softer layer of fat. I wanted to get down to about 120-123 , no lower, and then re-comp, but I'm around 125-126 now. Started at 134 or so in March.

All of this to ask, if this is a normal progression, to get softer before it goes? I'm at a 250 cal deficit, and the cardio is for buffer in case I'm off on calories, and I'm just more hungry. Still tweaking the macros. Honestly I'd be okay if the weight is slow to come off or I just leaned out, I'm aiming for loss of fat. Any advice is appreciated.

Have you ever been pregnant? I swear, my midsection often looks a little WORSE when I lose weight...the fat fills up the loose skin for me. When I get leaner, my whole belly just looks crepe-y and slightly melted. Hoping that there will be a turnaround as I cut enough to show muscle definition.

I also find that a stronger lower back (thanks, deadlifts) has improved my posture and therefore general abdominal appearance TREMENDOUSLY.
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    @HeySwoleSister I have had 3 kids, and after my youngest, I definitely noticed a skin change, especially around my navel. :smile: The consistency right now is really almost like water under the skin. It is like a ripple effect if I prod it. Hard to describe. Before it was softer, but more taut. I'm also hoping things will get better with more lean mass and time. This has been about 3 weeks of a noticeable change so far.

And yes, I love the deadlifts, too :)
  • wick3tgirl
    wick3tgirl Posts: 47 Member
    bumpity bump bump
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    1. Slight calorie deficit. Eating 800 calories and killing yourself in the gym is not going to get you there any faster. You need to fuel your body appropriately. I suggest the TDEE-20% method. www.iifym.com (If you have questions please feel free to ask them here). Make sure to weigh everything you eat! Guessing could put you well over your calories.

2. Strength training. If you want that toned mid section look you have to put some muscle there. If you just want a nice flat stomach muscle will still help it look tight. You can begin with Strong Lifts, a hypertrophy routine or a strength program from bodybuilding.com (free!). One that includes compound lifts like deadlift, squat, bench press and pull ups will help. Work on increasing the amount of weight you use. When the weight gets heavier you engage your core more and it builds the muscle.

3. Muscle insurance. There are a variety of studies done on the amount of protein the body needs. I like to think of higher protein as muscle insurance. My suggestion is about 1gram of protein per pound of lean mass. Make sure to get fat in your diet to help joints and metabolic processes. Make sure to get carbs in your diet to fuel workouts.

4. Cardio. I like cardio once or twice a week for 30 minutes. It's good for the heart and lungs. It doesn't add much to the calorie burn for the week, but it helps even things out in case you haven't been completely accurate weighing food.

5. Patience! It is not going to happen overnight. If you stick with it you could lose around 1% body fat a month. We aren't going to be perfect all the time. Enjoy birthdays and holidays. It is life and things will happen. Don't stress, learn to love the process.

FINALLY: Losing fat is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest of it is still wet. You won't magically lose belly fat or thigh fat or any other fat. It will come off where it wants to. Keep working at it! It is possible!

Bringing the goodness to the current page. (Also updated the TDEE link to the one usmcmp has been recommending lately)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    I enjoy hula hooping (with a roughly 5ft. in diameter hoop weighted w/a little water and wrapped in colorful duct tape). I don't know how good it is to whittle your waist line or work to get a 6-pack for you abs; but, I soon found out that the waistline was getting smaller. Directions for making a hula hoop for an adult is: 5 - 5.5 feet of 3/4" black sprinkler tubing (Lowe's or Home Depot); one connecter (doubled ended); cup of water; and enough duct tape to wrap it with. The colorful duct tape comes in small rolls and usually takes 2 of them. Put connecter in one end of the tubing, pour in a cup of water; connect the other end of tube to the other end of connecter tightly, wrap w/duct tape. Put one foot in front in front of the other, slightly apart from the other one and gently start rocking motion - front to back shifting weight from one leg to the other and swing the hoop to either side (whichever is the strongest). For me I swing right-to-left; can't do it left-to-right - brain doesn't work that way for me. A child's hula hoop won't work for most adults (too light and too small around). It will just fall to the ground. The hula hoop I have made means more work to keep it up around your waist and sometimes around your thighs. Start with just a few rotations at a time and work up to however many you can do (maybe within a few minutes). Be prepared for some bruising; but, it doesn't last long and isn't as bad if you start really slow on rotations and time. I count rotations and before I had an accident which put me out of commission for a while I was up to 1000 rotations at a time without stopping. Start slow and work up. I don't weigh myself except at the MD's office every 2 weeks - my scales at home are unpredictable and generally weigh me heavier than any at my MD's office. Hopefully your pants will start getting too big for you soon like mine have. Some people might not agree that this is a 'good' exercise; but, it works your body all over to keep that hoop up and rotating. Good luck.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    @HeySwoleSister I have had 3 kids, and after my youngest, I definitely noticed a skin change, especially around my navel. :smile: The consistency right now is really almost like water under the skin. It is like a ripple effect if I prod it. Hard to describe. Before it was softer, but more taut. I'm also hoping things will get better with more lean mass and time. This has been about 3 weeks of a noticeable change so far.

And yes, I love the deadlifts, too :)

Yup, I've got 3 kids, too, and my belleh does the same nonsense, also around my navel. It's really unappealing when doing planks, so I try not to look. :/

I'm trying to take heart that it's gone "softer" because there is less fat filling up my skin, and hopefully much less visceral fat smushing my innards.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    wick3tgirl wrote: »
    bumpity bump bump

• Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Bump
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Bump to the top for losing the bump in the middle.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    lets bump