WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• stephanierouse58
    stephanierouse58 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon, Steph from Greece here. Newcomer to this site but eligible as 50+ and looking to tone up and shed some unwanted pounds. Because of where we live we have an almost constant stream of visitors. They inevitably want to eat out, drink alcohol and generally party (all of which I love to do with them!) so it can be challenging to stay on track with the diet. I thought perhaps by upping my exercise levels I could lose weight more easily so I started a "Couch to 5k" running programme a month or so ago but ran into trouble with knee injuries and had to stop. The physiotherapist has suggested cycling as a low impact workout so I have borrowed a bike and started a four week training programme on Saturday designed to build one's stamina to 90 minutes continuous cycling over 4 weeks.

So, simply, my goal for June is

1. Complete my Cycling Training Plan
    2. Lay off wine, juice and soft drinks at least 15 of the 30 days in the month
    3. Stick to my calories on MFP
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Penny here.

I live at the North Pole. Well, almost. I'm about 800 miles from it.

This looks like a supportive group! I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the posts, so if you don't mind, I'll just rubberneck for a while and get to know everyone before I start commenting.

Goals for June:
    Weigh my food and register my calories as consistently as possible
    Jog a total of 80 miles (three marathons)
    Play with the grandchildren when they visit

See you
    Penny at the Pole
  • Genevie8
    Genevie8 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello to all. I'm over 50 and trying to get my motivation back again....Ugh. I saw your group. I am a walker. I did very well in 2013, but now the weight has slowly crept back. I love reading about others doing great, losing and I am hoping it gives me the motivation that I need.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Finally, a tread that is 'close to my age' (64). Just started a 'medical weight loss program' and have only had 1 weigh-in so far and I lost 7lbs in 2 weeks. Go back on the 6th for another weigh-in. I do not weigh myself at home for any reason - scales are squirrely and are not accurate. Went a little over in calories the past 3 days (weekend); but, other than that I am staying within the caloric amount I can have per day to lose weight (960). If I divided the total calories per day and divided it by the number of days then I stayed within my daily caloric intake amount. But, I guess that would be considered 'cheating'. LOL! The first 2 days I was 'starving'; but, after that did not have much problem staying within that number. I plan, as my exercise program, to walk on treadmill (will have to build time up); hula hooping (also will have to build my time up); and walking in the pool when I can. Husband really doesn't want me to get it in alone. Trying to stick to my caloric intake and increasing my water intake. Hopefully, my weight will continue on a downward slope and not yo-yo-ing.

Where do y'all get those cute icons that I have seen on some of your posts?
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    User name is acronym for Girls Raised In The South and Southern Ladies Under Tremendous Stress . . . my name is actually "Lenora" [Lynn Ora - phonetically]
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    LOL! I'm going to have to 'learn' what all the acronyms that get used are.
  • mariannekehl
    mariannekehl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    How do I add myself to your group? Y'all look like fun and just what I need to help me stay motivated. I just "rejoined" a week ago. I have 2 daughters getting married this year and I want to look my best for the weddings. I have been doing a good job of staying active and this past week and I have keeping within my caloric goals - I just need to keep it up. I would like to lost 20 pounds by October 31.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Gosh, so many new people! Stick with us Lenora, Genevieve, Penny and Steph. :flowerforyou: You will be in good company! This month I am chocking up my 3rd year on an eating plan. I joined MFP in the August. Have been on this thread ever since.
    I was almost crippled with joint pain and very depressed about the way I looked and felt. I lost 57 lbs over 18 months and have kept it off with the help of this thread.
    Slow but sure seems to be the key. Never lose patience. Make it a change in lifestyle, not a diet. Eat good food. Don't starve yourself. Increase your exercise level. Calories in, calories out is the whole truth - the rest is just flummery and decoration. Weigh and measure food and your body.
    Good luck. Never give up. Never surrender. Take the long view. Remember - log every bite and every bit of exercise and if there is a deficit you will lose weight. Simple. :noway: :laugh:

Must wash off my hair dye! Heather UK
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    South Georgia is my location, too.
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I lost 57 lbs over 18 months and have kept it off with the help of this thread.

Thanks for the welcome, Heather! 57 pounds in a year and a half is awesome! Still, if I do the math that comes to a weekly rate of three quarters of a pound. That looks decidedly doable. Take the long view. Check.

Penny at the Pole
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hello all, Dani from Lincoln, Nebraska here. Starred the thread and love the group can I join?
    I have lost 23-24 pounds since March 8th, 2015. I joined MFP in May and it is helping me stay on track. My goals for June are:
    Get a battery for my pedometer.
    Figure out how many steps I am actually taking and gradually increase.
    Stay out of the red in calories, sodium and carbs.
    Get to red in fiber, calcium and protein.
    Make and keep appoint with my Doc. to check blood sugar and blood pressure.
    Find a cool place to walk for the hot days of summer.
    Dani in Nebraska
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    HAPPY JUNE 1ST LADIES!

Barbie: You are the bestest! <3

Janet: You are absolutely correct! Each day does offer n :) ew opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them. :)

Michele: My weigh/check in time is Sunday morning. It’s because I know Sunday comes after Saturday and I can exercise a little more will power against weekend snacking and cocktails. ;)

Alison: I don’t know what your FIL said (missed that post) but whatever it was is just a geriatric moment. I know that you have done all that you could for him with love and caring as long as I’ve been posting. Sending you comforting hugs. o:) Oh I see! What I said before still stands.

Steph; Genevie; Dani; and Lenora: Welcome! :)

Penny: Wow! You live near the North Pole! :o What adventure! Welcome! :)

Heather: Thank you for sharing your journey’s story. <3

My goals for June are to walk a minimum mile each day; drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water; cardio workout a minimum of 40 minutes each day; log each bite or swallow; complete the draft of the business plan for Tiamo Regali.

Tere in Richmond VA

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Hello, all - quick check-in, to register my goals on this thread...

Performance against May goals:

1. Get on the scale once a week on Sundays: Whistle.gif Fail, I'm still on it three times a day, minimum. Am trying not to freak out about water weight gains, however, with varying success.
    2. Don't obsess: Whistle.gif (see Goal #1).

The rest of my goals I did OK on...

3. Weigh less than I did in April: Weighed 195 April 30, weighed185 yesterday.
    4. Run farther than April: check
    5. Calories at 1000+ daily. made it the last week of May.
    6. Keep protein at 64+ grams daily. check
    7. Add flex/core/weights before running. made it the last week of May
    8. Write. check

June goals
    smiley-signs005.gif
    Weigh less than I did at the end of May
    Run farther than I did at the end of May
    Move running to early mornings, now the heat's beginning in earnest
    Don't let travel bump me off the routine, keep the calories steady, exercise anyway.
    Maintain calorie levels between 1200 and 1400 daily, protein at 64+
    Add flex/core/ free weight work five to six days a week every week in June
    Reroute obsession with numbers on the scale into how many pages I can write in June
    smiley-signs018.gif

Got to go run as soon as I write a quick separate note below this one...
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    To find this thread, make sure you go up to the top and click on the 'star' . . . it will make finding it a lot easier. What confuses me is how they put a post that was given earlier and then post something under that? How do you do that? Is it for when you want to answer something somebody said, further up the postings? Thanks for welcoming me to this thread - needed something that people posting here were near to my age.
  • lonemaple
    lonemaple Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Don't forget to click on the star at the top to bookmark this page....I just came back to do that so I can find all of you again in the morning.smiley-laughing025.gif

Boy am I glad you said that!! I will get the hang of this
  • lonemaple
    Options
    Oh Janet, you are so funny! I will post more. Didn't realize how out of practice I am at writing. Sondre, south Fork, PA
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,
    I was just getting ready to copy and paste my post when Barbie posted the new room. Thanks for keeping us going, Barbie. <3

Lisa, good goals and just keep up the good work. Congrats on the pounds lost~~

Sondre, you are forgiven. FYI, when you hit “Quote” at the bottom of a post, it copies that post into your new post. You will get the hang of this thing, it just takes practice. So guess you need to post more often.

Mary, big bummer on your colds. Get Cold eEze. How wonderful that you can take your time moving things. That is my favorite way. Feel better fast.

Linda, when I used to step on the scale at different times during the day, that did get discouraging. Mainly because my weight kept going up all day long. Lol Now I weigh every morning and not again until the next morning. The only exception is when I have a doctor’s appointment and have to weigh at his office, which is always heavier than my first thing in the morning weigh.

Allison, I’m sure you haven’t gained enough weight to even notice. I’m sorry DFIL hurt your feelings. I can’t believe, even in his condition, that he called you “fatty”. I might have to retaliate for that one. ((Hugs))

Sylvia, sounds like you just had a great day of shopping. Eeewww on the Root Beer Milk. That sounds areful, but glad your friend liked it. I laughed that you didn’t even make it to the supplier you made the trip to see. (Good story) Your rugs sound cool.

Gilly
    , good to see you as it has been a while. Sorry about your cold. Take care of yourself and feel better soon.

Meg, I know I’d feel guilty if that were my DH that had pneumonia. They are usually such babies when sick that we don’t know when to listen to them.

Carol, glad you are home safe. Tell us more about this date? And good for you for going!!!! Did you meet him there or had you met before? Come on. Details. Oh just read your next post. That S#$%! At least you have had your first date, now on to bigger and better.

I don’t know where May went??? **looking around on the floor** :* It went so fast that I never had time to get in a groove and my weight shows it. I am a basket case when I have a cruise or vacation to look forward to. Nothing planned in June, so maybe I can concentrate on living right including eating and exercise. I only lost 3 pounds in May, but that's never one of my goals. I have dropped another size, so very happy with that. I wasn't as good on exercising so that is at the top of my list for June along with keep eating smart. Today was a day to rest and start putting up things from the Garage sale. I'm happy to report that everything is packed and put away. I got all the new dishes washed and in the cabinet and packed away the old ones. Tomorrow is a way past due trip to the nail salon. Ladies, thank you all for the support and inspiration that you provide.

I wish us all a very healthy and happy June. <3

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC

• lonemaple
    Options
    To find this thread, make sure you go up to the top and click on the 'star' . . . it will make finding it a lot easier. What confuses me is how they put a post that was given earlier and then post something under that? How do you do that? Is it for when you want to answer something somebody said, further up the postings? Thanks for welcoming me to this thread - needed something that people posting here were near to my age.

Hi, I am new at this too! I found that if you click on "Quote at the bottom of the Post it will give you am opportunity to reply. Once you have written the reply click on Post Reply. At least, I think that's how I did it.....losing brain cells daily!

Sondre, South Fork, PA
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Barbie, thank you, thank you for anchoring this thread--it's genuinely been such an amazing place for me for this last month. A huge resource, and genuinely a place to feel safe and understood. I'm very grateful to all of you for that.

Newbies, including Cruznvso, Lisa, Steph, Genevieve, Dani, Lenora and Penny... welcome! This has really been a fun and amazing place, and... well, see my first message. Glad you're here, and for that matter, glad I'm here!

Carol in NC: I'm so sorry that the fella you met in Dallas was married. And I am so glad that goober was not actually from Texas. Not saying we don't have our share of goobers, we certainly do...

I have to go run, I'm already blowing my "move running to early mornings," goal! Did I mention my husband bought me a Fitbit for our anniversary later this month? Supposed to be at the post office, I'll be able to pick it up when I got into town tomorrow... Can't wait to play with that, geeky grrl that I am. Also checking in with my NP tomorrow... fingers crossed this morning's water weight comes off so I can show her a 25-pound weight loss after two months of working with her. Which is not very bright, when you think about it... because then, when I get to the end of next month, this water weight loss, which should be easy, would just look great at that point... hmmm. Have to think about that...
    thinking-023.GIF

For whoever asked about the fun bits and pieces of icons that people use. The basic ones are available on the posting page - look at the top of the box, there's a smiley face. Select the dropdown arrow, and it will give you the choice of which one to add.

If you want the special ones, search for "bbcode smileys" and you can find them a number of places. Once you find a page with ones you want to add, you simply copy the "forum" code or "bbcode" choices they give you on the pages that have them, and paste it into your post. You can always use the Preview button below the post to see what it looks like, and if you don't like it, use the "Edit" button on the Preview page to go back and change it. NOTE: They often have HTML, as well, and that won't work in these forums. Good luck, have fun with it... and don't worry, if it doesn't work, the system just won't let you post it, it will just put up garbage. Always preview, that way you can fix it if it's ugly...

OH - and last note - if you have posted, and you have regrets, you can make changes to your post for up to one hour... hover at the top right of the post with your mouse, and a wheel will show up (if you're on a PC--sorry, don't know about Macs). Select the wheel, and it will allow you to fix whatever's wrong with your post and then re-post. While you can't delete the entire post, you can delete the entire contents, put up something like "sorry, double-posted" or some other message like it, and hit your post button. Happens all the time, no sweat. This entire paragraph is an edit to my post.

Gotta run! (literally... :wink: ) later, ladies!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

I will be moving two desks from St. Louis to here in Minnesota. Has anyone used a shipping company to move a large piece of furniture and were happy with them?

Goal for this month is stop the creep up on the scale and have it start moving down by:
    1. portion control
    2. drinking 6-8 cups of water
    3. exercise through gardening and walking (especially walking after dinner)
    4. Take time for stress relief

:heart: MNMargaret
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    I need to get a pedometer . . . any suggestions? I was supposed to get one at my CMWLP (but guess I will have to ask again) . . . she was so busy getting my shot ready for me to take, maybe she just forgot it.