WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    lonemaple wrote: »
    To find this thread, make sure you go up to the top and click on the 'star' . . . it will make finding it a lot easier. What confuses me is how they put a post that was given earlier and then post something under that? How do you do that? Is it for when you want to answer something somebody said, further up the postings? Thanks for welcoming me to this thread - needed something that people posting here were near to my age.

Hi, I am new at this too! I found that if you click on "Quote at the bottom of the Post it will give you am opportunity to reply. Once you have written the reply click on Post Reply. At least, I think that's how I did it.....losing brain cells daily!

Sondre, South Fork, PA

Tried that . . . not sure I did it correctly . . . lonemaple

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    lonemaple wrote: »
    To find this thread, make sure you go up to the top and click on the 'star' . . . it will make finding it a lot easier. What confuses me is how they put a post that was given earlier and then post something under that? How do you do that? Is it for when you want to answer something somebody said, further up the postings? Thanks for welcoming me to this thread - needed something that people posting here were near to my age.

Hi, I am new at this too! I found that if you click on "Quote at the bottom of the Post it will give you am opportunity to reply. Once you have written the reply click on Post Reply. At least, I think that's how I did it.....losing brain cells daily!

Sondre, South Fork, PA

Tried that . . . not sure I did it correctly . . . lonemaple

Yep, that worked . . . Thanks
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Barbie: Thanks for starting us off for a great new month!

Annr: Love June goals for Becca but I’m confused. Are you Becca?

Heather: I love the writing goals for June, and “DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD.” Your advice to the Newbies is perfect.

Steph from Greece, Penney at the Pole & other Newbies: Welcome.

DH is back on the RV bandwagon. We have a boat that is in dire need of attention including repair or replacement of the electronics and new sails, and it bugs me that he keeps coming back to this. He says I have my “No Hat” on and he is right about that. I’d also like to have the interior of our home painted and worry that we may need to replace windows. Several of our neighbors have had to replace their windows and attend to structural problems that leaking windows created.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
    morning peep-c's

wowzers ! lots a new folks here! welcome to all. this is a good group. all kinds of different levels of fitness here and lots o good advice.

for u who don't know me, I am a runner and a bicyclist. I ride year round and workout every day. I have no goals, i'm goal-less, I just keep chuggin along. I've been in the maintaining weight mode for 2 maybe 3 years? lost track... gotta find out. i'm here just because, that's how I roll. really, just logging, tracking my intake, tracking my ride, writing down what I do just keeps me in check.

exermom - so far, no, no one can compare :0) i am truly blessed.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,206 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Done my hair roots, done my nails, done my WRITING! ! ! ! !
    Haven't planted my plants or tackled my pile of papers.
    Got a phone call about my rental. :sad: Water is coming through to the bathroom in the downstairs flat again. Grrrrrrrrr! Sent someone round. There will be no money this month. :cry: It's my only income.

Heather UK
  • lonemaple
    lonemaple Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Had a problem with the DVD from Stephanie Huckabee so I did a yoa one by Ellen Barrett instead. The plan for tomorrow is to do one more segment of the Tummy toner DVD, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class. Update: Problem fixed, it was more of a user error than anything else. Oh well.....

pip - can anyone compare to Kirby???

Becca - you know what they say "a man is only old when he stops looking". Yea, I thought it funny that pip called me "exterminate", but I knew she meant me. Horray for the liver transplant!!!!! I don't weigh. Not sure why, just never have. But those measuring cups -- couldn't live without them.

Joyce - I love the movie "Mr Holland's Opus" We went to Texas Roadhouse last night for dinner. Jessica and Colby missed going when we were in PA so we took them to the TR down here. Anyway, some girls were walking out of there going to a prom. We asked which school has their prom so late. The waitress told us. Do you know where they were having their prom? At a bowling alley!!!! We go there on Mondays for our bowling and we know they have a banquet room attached to the bowling alley. I can't get over that that's what they're doing. When my kids went to the prom (actually, only Jessica went, well Denise went under duress), we had an after-prom party. Basically, the gym was really decorated. As a matter of fact, they would have walk-thrus for the parents while the kids were at the prom. It was a really big thing. They would have a "crash room" where the kids could just go and crash. The thing was that basically they were locked in until something like 5 in the morning. This way they weren't out on the streets, drinking and driving. It usually had a theme. This was one REALLY big production, we're talking they spent thousands of dollars. I bet those nursing home residents were quite happy

Lisa - I live in Newton, which is at the foothills of the mountains. I love it here EXCEPT for the red clay. That stuff's the pits.

Cynthia
    - ouch for your ankle. Hope it heals fast

Heather
    - all my kids know not to buy me plants. I seem to have this uncanny knack that I just look at it, and it dies. The only thing I can't seem to kill are weeds

Janet - sometimes I think Vince thinks that talking about exercising IS exercising. Just because he's exercising his jaw. Well, sometimes I do joke about exercising my jaw, so that may be where he's getting it from. But my bet is that he doesn't exercise. The only reason he eats pretty healthily is because I refuse to serve not-good-food (like hot dogs and hamburgers) exept every once in a while but then I have something else for myself. Good for you getting those sale signs down! I'm still using the every day plates that I got before Vince and I were married -- and we've been married 37 years!

Lisa - do you get on the scale on Sundays? Then you're not failing -- even if you do get on it other days. I do that too but my "official" weigh in day is Saturday morning. Good for you losing during May! That's awesome. And the running -- wow! You are doing so well on all those other goals

Sondre
    - don't worry one bit, you do just fine the way you're responding to threads as it is. So glad to have you with us!

Michelle, thank you for being so kind! I must say, this is one of the nicest group of girls I have ever come across
  • lonemaple
    Options
    Well Michelle, looks like I boo-booed again....trying to respond to your kindness, and my response is showing up in the quote instead of by itself!!
  • lonemaple
    Options
    Gosh, so many new people! Stick with us Lenora, Genevieve, Penny and Steph. :flowerforyou: You will be in good company! This month I am chocking up my 3rd year on an eating plan. I joined MFP in the August. Have been on this thread ever since.
    I was almost crippled with joint pain and very depressed about the way I looked and felt. I lost 57 lbs over 18 months and have kept it off with the help of this thread.
    Slow but sure seems to be the key. Never lose patience. Make it a change in lifestyle, not a diet. Eat good food. Don't starve yourself. Increase your exercise level. Calories in, calories out is the whole truth - the rest is just flummery and decoration. Weigh and measure food and your body.
    Good luck. Never give up. Never surrender. Take the long view. Remember - log every bite and every bit of exercise and if there is a deficit you will lose weight. Simple. :noway: :laugh:

Must wash off my hair dye! Heather UK

Thanks for the awesome advice Heather! I think I may write it down on paper and post it on my mirror.

How awesome for you to have lost 57 lbs. Congrats for keeping it off!

Sondre, South Fork, PA
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Bump to mark my spot. How did it get to be June already?

Welcome newbies and come back often!

Special shout out to Dani from Lincoln...I am in Papillion although I sign as Omaha because no one knows where Papillion is but most know Omaha!

June goals: I wrote about these yesterday; get 4 hours of exercise in a week...doable with knee, 8000 steps doable at work, but at home will be challenging. I may start having to make the bed to get more steps! (''ts 98 steps if I am not the efficient nurse!) LOL

See you all later, Take care Meg from Omaha-ish!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    June 2015 Fitness Goals

• 5000+ steps daily
    • strength train 3xweek
    • no snacks after 9:00pm
    • 3 yoga poses daily (not including the Corpse Pose-lol)
    • 4-30 sec planks daily
    • after dinner walk with husband and dog on 5 out of 7 days per week
    • set a new MMW fitness goal for the week each Sunday and complete it

Been MFPing for 86 days! Down 12 lbs. Looking forward to conquering JUNE! :)

Cheri
    Fairlawn, Ohio
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
    well june is gonna b a busy month, this weekend we are going to our "summer home" at the ocean, weekend of the 13th is the furry 5k, then the weekend of the 20th got the beach to chowder 5k run, then the weekend of the 27, got a bbq to go to. in between then I gotta make a hair app for Kirby, I'm gonna make him a blonde!!! usually I have them foil his hair, this time all blonde baby!!... he's my boy toy, I get to do whatever I want to him, he don't care...

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!!

Review of May goals:
    12,000 steps/day...averaged 12,069 for the month; managed to hit 12,000 55%
    5 miles/day...averaged 5.07 for the month 157 miles
    drink 4x16.9 oz of water/day...managed this 1 time...huge fail
    Log all food...26 out of 31 days 84%
    Not gain any weight for the month (with many social events)...1.2 lb. loss!!
    Strength training 3x/week...averaged 1x/week

June goals:
    12,000 steps/day
    walk 165 miles
    Drink 4x16.9 oz water/day
    Log all food
    Strength training 3x/week
    Do something everyday that makes me happy

Lisa...I also love numbers and have a fitbit. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine. It has really helped me to keep moving. Maybe you can replace your scale addiction with a new addiction of the stats on the fitbit. Just a suggestion.

Barbie...thanks so much for keeping this going. I know it's helped me tremendously.

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Forgot to sign off...
    Chris in MA
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello, newbies!!! Please keep posting, get to know us and let us get to know you.

Congrats to everyone who had a successful May.......that would not include me after my little wander off this ranch. My goal will simply be to get back to recording my food daily. I have been eating better this last week, just not recording it yet. Recording WILL start today.

Carol.......What an adorable child!!! He's gorgeous!

Meg...........So sorry DD#1 is still stirring things up through her sister. I do like fresh mint better in the watermelon dish, but dried will do.

pip..........Major congrats on the amt. of money you have raised!

Beth........We had grapevines when I was growing up in Pa. My dad would make wine and my mom would make jelly. The winter cold never impacted them as far as I remember. I do remember losing fruit trees to a hurricane though. Sorry your son had such a rough week with the migraine........the short one I had a week ago was a very unwelcome reminder of how miserable they used to make me.

Cyntha...........Thank you for all your recording of grave info; who knows, they might be my relatives.

I bought a few more tomato plants; actually, they looked sooooooooo poorly that I felt sorry for them squashed in one of those little six packs so I rescued them. Also got another mint plant.

Too hot to plant today.........low 90's, yuck and humid........we need rain.

Best to all!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!! It's nice to see so many new ladies joining our little hen party! Stick with us and don't give up. We are doing this together! And we all seem to love the doggies, so if you have some, tell us about them too. And grandchildren. I should have said those first, but you can tell where my priorities are.

Penny, what can you do up there at the north pole? What is daily life like there? Are you in Canada or Alaska?Do you have a YMCA, or a gym to join? I picture you running in circles around your igloo wearing a big furry parka, but of course now with global warming you may be fairly tropical! Do you live in a town? I'm just dying to know all about it. And we love pictures too.

And Steph from Greece. My advice would be to move away from there as soon as possible. I lived in Greece for a couple of years and the food was so wonderful, it would be really hard to avoid. I've never been a drinker, but I've heard the wine there is outstanding too. (I did go to a wine festival once with frends, and it was really hard to explain- without speaking Greek - that I don't drink. I was the designated driver befor ethere was such a thing.) Good luck to you. Keep us posted on how it's going. Do you live in Athens? I was stationed at the air force base there back in 1978-1980 and lived in Ano Glyphada (sp?). The fresh fruits and vegetables at the street markets were amazing. I remember peaches bigger than softballs and really sweet melons. And the bread!!!!! Always with real butter, too. There was a bakery right on our street.

Grits! What a great acronym! 7 pounds in 2 weeks is awesome! I never lost it that fast. At the moment I'm on a big, wide plateau, and hope to jump off of it soon. But 960 calories seems awfully low. I never tried to go below 1200, although sometimes I didn't quite make that many. Lately I've been "cheating" more, which helps explain my plateau. Good luck to you, and keep us posted!

Genevie8, welcome! I'm a walker too. Do you have a fitbit or something like that. It helps keep me motivated. There are some step challenges on MFP that you might join, too. Where are you from? Tell us more about yourself! We are really very nosy. Well, some of us are. B)

Marianne, Welcome! Two weddings in one year! Can you wear the same dress to both? I'd have a stroke trying to shop for TWO dresses. 20 pounds by October seems do-able. Tell us more!

Well, I took the two girls to girl scout camp this morning and dropped them off. First we stopped at Walmart to get sunglasses. The sun is shining for the first time in weeks! I nearly asphixiated myself spraying them with bug spray and sunscreen. It's a miracle they could breathe at all. Tomorrow I'll try to do better. I pick them up at 3:30. then take the little guy to t-ball at 5:30. Hubby may have to get his own dinner out of the crock pot tonight.

Well, I hope everyone is having a fantastic day!

Here are my goals for June:
    1. Lose 4 pounds. And not the same 4 over and over either. I want to be consistantly at 165 by the end of June.
    2. Stop all the cheating. I have had more salt in the last month than I have had in the last two years. No more.
    3. Increase stept to 12,000 by the end of the month. I've been slacking on my walking, except when I was in Spain.
    4. Increase weights by 10 pounds on each machine.
    5. Try the C25K program.

Sylvia
    In southeast Kansas, where the sun is shining at last!

• MMinMD
    MMinMD Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie! Happy June everyone. Four months on MFP for me and just about 25 lbs down.

Review of Goals for May
    Make that scale move: 3 pounds in May. Meh.
    Burn more calories, averaged 2500 cal burn, and 2100 cal intake. Could do better!
    Fitbit: 170k steps in May; avg ~5400/day. Could do much better.
    Be happy and positive! Meh.
    Get some quick and healthy dinners into my cooking rotation. Doing well now; lots of veg salads and grilling.
    Stop that mindless eating when tired and PO’d. Too many bad days (usually in sets) really slowed progress.

Goals for June
    New goals:
    Be happy. Otherwise I just eat.
    Make that scale move, goal weight 264 June 30, 260 July 24 when we leave on vacation. That's 6.5 lbs to lose this month.
    10k steps and/or 750 cal deficit per day
    Burn more calories, goal 2800/d
    Eat less calories, goal 1800/d
    Start lifting, 3 days/week

All you lifters are inspiring, and I need something new to spur some more weight loss. I’ve started with the BFFM Level 1 workouts. Thanks Mary, Lesley.

Cindy in SoMD

14386427.png

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,206 Member
    Options
    Cindy - 3 lbs in a month is EXCELLENT,! Just saying. X

Heather, who did it slow. :laugh: but made it stick.
  • LuanaBean
    LuanaBean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie! My goals for June are to add more fresh veg juices to my diet. We have a juicer and I pulled it out of hibernation.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good First of June, Ladies. <3

Michele
    , if it were up to DH we would still be eating on the everyday china we got when we got married. I’m sure many of you remember the Sculptured Grape pattern that was so popular in the late 60’s. I really liked it too and only replaced it after about 25 years because it came out that it had lead paint in it. The one I replaced it with was never my favorite and I think I picked it because it was less expensive than some that I liked more. DH was on that shopping trip. Lol Why do you not log your food just because you are over? I figure the log is for my information so I even log those days.

Becca, I love your goals. I agree that life is to be lived and for me that definitely includes laughing. Also, I think many people forget to listen to their bodies. They often tell us what we need, loud and clear. Good for you!!!

JanetM, you are right that 3 lbs last month was about 1 a week, especially since 1 week was a cruise where I gained 10 lbs. But, what can I say, I’m like everyone else and want it all off NOW. Lol I had a job for a few years that I worked from 2 pm till 11:00. I actually loved it because it gave me time to get things taken care of in the mornings before work. Now I don’t work and never have time to get everything done. :*

Joyce, thanks for the morning laugh, reading about you and your glasses in church. Of course it wouldn’t be nearly as funny if you had been sitting in the back of the church by yourself. ROFL

OhioMom, what part of Texas is she moving to? Keep lots of bottled water cooled and at reach. Trust me, moving will give you exercise that steps alone would not offer. You should do fine.

Allison, so what was leaking? I hope it’s a fairly easy fix. DH loves to tease also but so often it’s not funny. Since I’ve been losing weight he will call me “skinny” or “slim” and if he only knew how great that feels compared to some of the un-nice things he has called me over the years. I just don’t think they realize, but glad all you had to do was tell your DH and he stopped.

Heather, I don’t know about you, but I feel like you accomplished a lot in May. On your Paper Work, why don’t you just take 15 mins a day, say maybe 3 days a week, and you know how fast you would clear a spot on that desk. I know how in the past, you let the book seem insurmountable at times, so trying to help with the paperwork.  Congrats on your bling. I like it too!!

Stephanie, welcome to this group of wonderful ladies. I know it is hard to stay within calories when eating out and drinking all the time. You are smart to add exercise if it is too difficult to change eating. I find the worse part of the drinking is the calories in mixes. Too bad I don’t like anything mixed with water, but I don’t! At home I drink diet tonic with no calories, but the dang bars won’t carry it. Lol We are glad to have you.

Penny, welcome to you as well. You are welcome to rubberneck all you want, as long as you don’t cause a wreck. Please tell us a bit more about yourself so we can get to know you. So what country do you live in? Does Santa pass your way often?

Genevie and Lenora, welcome to you both. You will find this a great place for support and information as well. I have picked up so many good ideas from all these wonderful ladies. We ask that all of you tell us a little about yourselves and sign each post with the name you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you and one or two of us have occasional memory issues, so it’s nice if you do it every time.

Dani, welcome to you. Gosh how did all you ladies find us at once? It’s great to have new ladies with us. The trick, for you is to stay with us. This thing works and this group of ladies are wonderful for support. Dani, since I started MFP, I have been able to cut my Metformin in half, to one a day. After the next 20 pounds will probably be able to get off of it totally. That is motivation for me. Good luck to you.

Katla, what is the “No Hat” thing? And yes, it’s hard to spend money on play things when we know we may have major house expenses in the future. I hope you win the RV discussion.

Heather, so sorry about that leak. Is it the same thing that keeps causing it?

Pip, it does sound like a busy month for you! What is the furry K? Is that where you don’t have to shave your legs for the week before? Gonna have to show us a pic of your blond boy toy.

Luana, welcome. I hope you enjoy the juicer. Not a huge veggie juice fan myself, but know many who swear by it. Please tell us a bit more about yourself so we can get to know you.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I occasionally have to stop and remind myself how this thing works. I had a neighbor yesterday that I haven't seen in a while, say something about my weight loss. He asked what I had done. My response was, "I started eating healthy for the first time in my life". For me this new life journey is about eating healthy and not starving myself. I love that I can still have a little dessert, if that is what I want. I can still have a sandwich if that is what I want. It's all about decisions. I am amazed that once I learned how many calories are in certain things, I simply chose not to have things that I used to eat all the time. What has probably surprised me the most is that I don't think about food all the time like I used to. And I am rarely hungry. Adding exercise really helps the process along. I don't obsess about it and have taken it very slow for health reasons, but I have done it. All in all I have found it so much easier than expected. MFP has been wonderful for this journey and the ladies in this forum have made it a joyful journey. Thank you all for that.

Let's all have a very successful, healthy and happy June.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    LOL! I'm going to have to 'learn' what all the acronyms that get used are.

Says the one whose user name is an acronym! LOL and welcome!