Fat, depressed, and anti-social...

Options

Replies

• brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    thank you, i will look into it. Like I said, I wouldn't ever inflict physical harm on myself. I just truly don't enjoy being in the body I have. If I were able to be successful with my efforts, then I think I'd be in a better place. It's just the constant failure of my efforts that make me think this is how i'll be forever, and that gets to me.
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    thank you, i will look into it. Like I said, I wouldn't ever inflict physical harm on myself. I just truly don't enjoy being in the body I have. If I were able to be successful with my efforts, then I think I'd be in a better place. It's just the constant failure of my efforts that make me think this is how i'll be forever, and that gets to me.

My ex husband was severely depressed (used to have the same thoughts about driving into oncoming traffic) and was always caught up with how he failed at everything. But he used to say the same thing, that he would never hurt himself because his kids needed him and it wouldn't be fair to them. He took his own life three weeks ago.

Please, go see someone about your depression.

• LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Don't be so vain with yourself. You are much more than how you look on the outside. You personality, soul, values, etc are all important too. The people that care about you like you for these reasons. It is really hard to escape vanity when it is around us all the time. Turn off the TV and stay away from people who are super competitive and/or gossip.
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced depression personally but I had a long-term relationship with someone who was depressed, so I thought maybe I could offer something from that perspective. I loved her very much and wanted to help her see all of the wonderful things about her that I saw but she couldn't seem to see. I tried to cheer her up, I tried to take her out to social events so she'd have fun; I tried to organize camping trips and travel and other adventures to make her life more interesting. I told her all the time how much I loved her and how wonderful she was. I offered to help her find counselling if she wanted it. Anything I could think of to try and help her self-esteem, to try to help her mood. That is probably part of what's going through your husband's mind - he loves you, he wants you to feel good, and he wants you to have a rewarding and fun life.

Eventually what I learned (the hard way) is that no matter how much you love someone, you can't just love away their depression. Depression is a medical condition, usually caused by chemical imbalances in the brain. Love won't fix it any more than love would fix kidney disease or diabetes. And there's no such thing as a self-esteem transplant - there's only one person who can change it, and that's the depressed person.

Having suicidal thoughts, even if you don't act on them, is a serious thing, and it can escalate without treatment. Please consider getting counselling and possibly seeing a psychiatrist for medication, if that's appropriate for your case; if you can't afford that, try a local community centre or women's charity - sometimes places like that offer free or discounted services. Other things that can help include writing in a journal, reading books that help you reprogram your self-destructive thinking, or talking to trusted friends and family. In the end though, if you have serious clinical depression, you need medical care.

As for health and fitness, if you're not having success the way you're doing things, consider doing things differently. Nothing drastic! No juice fasts or cleanses any of that junk. Sounds like you're very active. Do you track your food closely (using a scale and measuring cups) or just estimate? Are you on any medication (e.g. birth control pills) that could be causing weight gain? Is it possible you have a hormone imbalance, PCOS, or a thyroid condition?

• LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I just want to say too that life is not perfect and doesn't need to be. You can live a happy and meaningful life while not having everything perfect. You gotta learn to accept some things about yourself. Also, no one is going to make you fee good about yourself other than you. You have to define your worth and value as a person.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You mention that your hormones are normal, but what is "normal"? It is extremely difficult to maintain hormonal balance being overweight, not stating this is a root cause, but most certainly contributing.

Seek out a good counselor. You have a loving devoted husband from what you've stated - lean on him for now. It's our duty to do so and gives us purpose. Maybe get a personal trainer and work out together? Find more activities to share?

It may sound silly, but there is a great benefit from internet friends - anonymity, shared experience, etc. that can far outweigh real life connections. Your on a good path coming here.

I'm a huge believe in the mind/body/spirit balance - if one is out of whack this will impact the others.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I feel the same on most days. I feel ugly and fat. I would look better if I lost more weight but I will never be pretty. I feel uncomfortable and self conscious when being intimate with someone. I dont go out much, only to school and church and the store. I feel like I am different than other people and never seem to fit in. I am kinda paranoid and always think when people are laughing they are laughing at me.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Am sure everyones told you, but working out isnt enough. Just do the basics properly and stop eating more than you need, then you will lose weight. A year and a half was time enough to make the difference and lose 70lbs. It didnt happen because you werent in consistent deficit. If you want to make the change you just need to get on with it and do it, but this time learn how to do the basics properly.
    One of the things you need to learn from your journey is to be your own friend . Exercise helps, but frustration is likely to make you worse and feel hopeless, so make small steps which you can be a winner at.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,610 Member
    Options
    You're getting good advice here. I have to tell you, I didn't notice much progress as far as my body looking fitter from all of the gym workouts and walking I was doing until I lost the first 20 lbs. I think my fat was hiding the muscle I was gaining. This could be happening to you. If you can lose some weight you may see your fitter body emerging. And if you eat at a cal deficit you will lose weight. I had to find my level - I couldn't lose at 1400 cals - so I made a change and went don't to 1200 cals and the weight loss started at that point. Hope this is a little bit of help for you.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It's a process. Like you, about 4 years ago I was the thinnest I've EVER been. Great hair, great body, beautiful face but I was dying on the inside - gorgeous on the outside, but I had to fix the inside before life got better. Self help, therapy, and a support group will help you. The biggest thing? Time. Be patient and kind to yourself.
  • brittaney10811
    Options
    bug1114 wrote: »

My ex husband was severely depressed (used to have the same thoughts about driving into oncoming traffic) and was always caught up with how he failed at everything. But he used to say the same thing, that he would never hurt himself because his kids needed him and it wouldn't be fair to them. He took his own life three weeks ago.

Please, go see someone about your depression.

I am so sorry for your loss!!! I wish I had words to help ease your pain... :(

Yes a year and a half is enough time to lose 70# ... but it didn't work for me. Being honest, I was consistent with working out, but not with counting macros. I did measure and weigh most of my food when I was on track. I need to get back to doing that.

Thank you all for your insight. I have good days and bad days. Yesterday was a bad day. Then husband went into ER for severe chest pains. He's ok now, but still... even the tiniest hint at anything causing him pain sends me into a frenzy. It's not fair to him to have such a depressed wife. I need to change.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    By your photos, you have a beautiful smile and look like you'd be fun to hang around, we are so much more critical of ourselves than other people are. Your husband enjoys spending time with you and wants you to be around his friends, make that effort, as hard as it might be, it will make your relationship stronger. Also, when it comes to weightloss, ignore the scale and get a tape measure, sometimes we lose the fat, but build muscle. Maybe the scale is not moving because of this. You CAN do this!!
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Glad your husband is okay. That sounds stressful!

It sounds like you're having trouble with consistency with food logging might be part of why you're not losing the way you want. You say that when you were on track you weighed and measured most of your food. What does "most" mean? How long did you do that for? What kind of calorie deficit were you aiming for? Having "good and bad days" usually means that you're not keeping a calorie deficit overall.

This is a thing that's common for people with self-esteem issues who do emotional eating or eat without paying attention: they follow the plan 80% of the time, don't realize that the way they're eating the rest of the time is canceling out their calorie deficit, and then they don't understand why they're not losing. Tracking everything accurately, including cheat days and treats and little nibbles here and there, for a month or two would be a good start. See how much you're really eating. Then if you're still not losing after keeping a deficit for 2 months, you can take those food logs to a doctor and try to get some answers.

If you're going to try weight loss again, here is a good overview of how to approach it: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

This is also a useful read about accurately logging food, which is a hard skill to develop: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

I still think you need to get some help for your depression. Believe me, weight loss won't fix it.

• brittaney10811
    Options
    Sorova wrote: »
    Glad your husband is okay. That sounds stressful!

It sounds like you're having trouble with consistency with food logging might be part of why you're not losing the way you want. You say that when you were on track you weighed and measured most of your food. What does "most" mean? How long did you do that for? What kind of calorie deficit were you aiming for? Having "good and bad days" usually means that you're not keeping a calorie deficit overall.

This is a thing that's common for people with self-esteem issues who do emotional eating or eat without paying attention: they follow the plan 80% of the time, don't realize that the way they're eating the rest of the time is canceling out their calorie deficit, and then they don't understand why they're not losing. Tracking everything accurately, including cheat days and treats and little nibbles here and there, for a month or two would be a good start. See how much you're really eating. Then if you're still not losing after keeping a deficit for 2 months, you can take those food logs to a doctor and try to get some answers.

If you're going to try weight loss again, here is a good overview of how to approach it: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

This is also a useful read about accurately logging food, which is a hard skill to develop: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

I still think you need to get some help for your depression. Believe me, weight loss won't fix it.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I think the longest I've logged food consistently was for a few weeks. then I would stop and just keep eating what I was logging (keeping my 'menu' the same all the time). Eventaully without the discipline though i would stray. I think that setting a goal, like your 2 month suggestion, could be what I need to do.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Thank you all for your insight. I have good days and bad days. Yesterday was a bad day. Then husband went into ER for severe chest pains. He's ok now, but still... even the tiniest hint at anything causing him pain sends me into a frenzy. It's not fair to him to have such a depressed wife. I need to change.

You say that like you're depressed on purpose, like it's a personal failing. Do you believe that? Accept that you are not in control of everything and that whatever anger you're aiming at yourself is completely non-productive. You can't punish yourself into feeling better. The right thing to do for your husband and family is to get help before you do hurt yourself, because that would cause him more pain than you can imagine.

• PHStevenson
    PHStevenson Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    A big thing could be your outlook on the situation. You have got to be okay with who you are as a person, with or without the extra weight. What makes you, you. What made your husband fall in love with you? Think about the personality that you have and the way you treat other people. I "dieted" on and off for a long time. I would stick to it for about a week and then I would give up. Finally I decided that I loved the person I am, with a little extra weight or not. I have 100 lbs to lose. My husband only weighs 135 lbs. I know the feeling of not wanting to meet new friends or go out in public but it is a psychological thing that you have to get over. Once I was comfortable with who I was as a person I started to feel better. I feel AMAZING after I workout. I eat right and I LOVE it. I have successfully been on this "life change" for almost a whole month! and Have lost a little over 15 lbs. But its not the amount of weight that is coming off that matters, that will happen in time, its that, for the first time in my whole life, i feel GOOD about myself :)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I cannot escape from feeling depressed about my self image.

regardless of what working out does (or rather doesn't do) for me, telling myself to be more positive, trying to see the glass as half full, etc... I always resort to feeling so unbelieveably uncomfortable in my own skin. I have no qualms about my job, my marriage, my home, etc. But i do feel bad for my husband to be seen with me. I'm embarassed for him. I'm not a thin, attractive person. He's pretty fit, is training for a half marathon, and is going to nursing school. He was a gym manager and enjoys fitness. I have done grueling workouts and put in a lot of true, honest hard work consistently for a very long time. Nothing positive happened. A year and a half later I gave up. I hate myself, what i see in the mirror, the way I feel during intimacy, etc. I loathe myself entirely, and I just feel like I don't deserve my husband. He loves me SO much and wants me to help myself, but as much as i try, I never succeed.

I pull myself away from social situations as much as I can. I know it bothers him, and I often find myself telling him to go ahead without me. I don't feel he deserves to be seen with me, especially when I'm meeting friends of his for the first time. He wants me to be so involved, but I back out all of the time. I know this could end up being a bigger issue as time goes on, but I can't stop my brain and emotions from keeping me away... all because I'm uncomfortable with my body.

I don't know what to do... has anyone else had this issue, and how did you overcome it??

(yes i still work out and stay active, but it's not helping... :-1:

Brittaney, I feel your pain, been there done that. Up and down my weight has gone over the last 40 years (I'm 58). Each time I dieted, I lost then gained it all back and 10 to 20% more than when I started. I was so depressed and knew that there was something wrong with me. I studied and Googled and talked to four different doctors. They all had a pill for me, but none of them worked. I tried exercise, Weight watchers, and many other fad diets. Then I had to do something, because I got diabetes, asthma, insulin resistance, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and was getting scared that I would die prematurely with a heart attack. Then after much study, I looked into Bariatric surgery. I was ready willing and able to go have my stomach cut in half to stop the madness.... but wait, there's more...

Read my blog. It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP
    Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP

• woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    @brittaney10811,

Thank you for sharing your story! I can relate in so many ways (except for having a supportive s.o. #single). And I too, suffer from "liking myself". I've had the driving into a gaurdrail thought... "would people really care? etc."... it is so draining. And i've been in counseling for a couple months now. Slowly, progress is happening. But I am still very much hung on body image, low self-esteem, etc. Every day I struggle with not overthinking or saying something bad about myself... all day, every day.

Everyone tells me "I wish you could see yourself through my eyes" or "I don't know why you think like that, you are fine" etc. But IT IS SO HARD. I get it, completely.

You have so much support. And you clearly want to get better. Counseling is good. I know when I work out, it also helps me feel better. And so a mix between the two along with uplifting quotes, songs, searching for self-help tips, etc. will also help. Just a few tips that I have been also doing.

It's so assuring for your husband to stick by your side. I do also try to avoid going places and being around friends.. especially the guy that I am into. One, I don't fit in with his crowd, and two, I am afraid they're like "omg.. she is too fat for him"... sound familiar? You are not alone!!
  • brittaney10811
    Options
    woznube7 .... exactly!!! I do want to get better, but then i tell myself if i REALLY wanted to... then i Just would!!!... 'so apparently i DON'T want it that bad." yup. that's my conversation with myself. That I'm this miserable and still apparently don't want it bad enough. How is that even possible?!