How can I get toned with strength training without looking bulky?

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Agreed. For me Madonna is too bulky.

lol
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    What is going on in this thread?

Low body fat now = bulky? Have I wandered into Bizarro world?

Yes this is bizzaro world.

But hey look. some ppl don't like muscles on women. To each their own.

I get that. But there seems to be some rampant misunderstanding of what body fat looks like and what muscles look like. People seem to be equating low body fat with big muscles. Not only that, but thinking that it's so easy to gain muscle takes away from the amazing accomplishment of the women who work really hard to do so.

For all: If you are a woman and are worried about getting bulky, ask yourself these questions:
    1. Are you eating at a calorie surplus?
    2. Are you on a progressive lifting program?
    3. Is your diet spot on to achieve muscle growth?

If no, you will not be gaining muscle or getting "bulky." The woman described above can expect to gain between .5-1lb of muscle per month if everything is dialed in correctly. The average woman will absolutely not gain muscle mass eating at a deficit and doing mainly cardio and lifting weights twice a week.

I have low body fat... some would say I'm bulky. Bulky is very subjective.

While I get what you are saying and totally agree. I'm not here to convince any one to lift heavy or that they wont get big. The train of thought that goes along with not wanting t get bulky or put on too much muscle or I gain muscle easily, is so uneducated and annoying. Even if you educate them on what it is they are actually seeing as you are, it wont change their mind. They do not want to look manly, have muscles like a man or their man doesn't like it.

Just hand them the 3 lb weights and let them spin their wheels for years attempting to rid themselves of batwing arms and lower tummy fat. More heavy weights for me.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    astrampe wrote: »
    Loved this article.

I want to be strong and have the function of my body in my old age. People never tell me I'm bulky in person. They comment on how small or skinny I am. That's b/c they are seeing me clothed. I show them a photo like my avatar...and then they are confused.

These big bulky women you see are way smaller that someone else who weighs the same amount as them. Muscle takes up less room than fat.

In a totally non creepy way...I think your body in your avatar is absolutely stunning

But more importantly I admire your goal

Thank you very much!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I get that. But there seems to be some rampant misunderstanding of what body fat looks like and what muscles look like. People seem to be equating low body fat with big muscles. Not only that, but thinking that it's so easy to gain muscle takes away from the amazing accomplishment of the women who work really hard to do so.

For all: If you are a woman and are worried about getting bulky, ask yourself these questions:

If no, you will not be gaining muscle or getting "bulky." The woman described above can expect to gain between .5-1lb of muscle per month if everything is dialed in correctly. The average woman will absolutely not gain muscle mass eating at a deficit and doing mainly cardio and lifting weights twice a week.

While I get what you are saying and totally agree. I'm not here to convince any one to lift heavy or that they wont get big. The train of thought that goes along with not wanting t get bulky or put on too much muscle or I gain muscle easily, is so uneducated and annoying. Even if you educate them on what it is they are actually seeing as you are, it wont change their mind. They do not want to look manly, have muscles like a man or their man doesn't like it.

Just hand them the 3 lb weights and let them spin their wheels for years attempting to rid themselves of batwing arms and lower tummy fat. More heavy weights for me.

Amen and halleluiah.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    weights_zps77901ae3.jpg

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! XD XD XD
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    <
    Not big and bulky.

omn8zdzqx7mw.jpg

310 pounds.

Lifting heavy does not make you bulky.

• cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Amen and halleluiah.

Preach it, sister! I'll take it as a compliment if I ever have someone point at me and say I'm too bulky. There will never be enough weight on the bar or muscles on my frame!

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

valentine-charlie-brown.jpg

You're right. I think I was a bit hangry when I wrote that :smile:

And I agree with Rabbit; you look fab!
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    My brain hurts from this thread. I don't see how "bulky" can be subjective, in the context being discussed. Lean with visible muscle, cannot be perceived as "bulky". Bulk, by definition, means mass. Madonna and Jessica, in no way, have a high level of mass. In fact, their musculature is visible on account of removing unwanted mass (fat). Now, if you want to argue that you don't like the appearance of a woman with low body fat, sure, people are attracted to different things, and that is a valid discussion. But choosing to call lean, low body fat women "bulky" is a failed choice of words, and is probably what leads to these debates. Terminology matters.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options

^^^^This and Youtube has a lot of good yoga instruction and body weight exercises, no equipment required.
  • runfreer
    runfreer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This thread is enlightening. It is interesting to read everyone's very different opinions on what 'bulky' is to them. Very subjective.

I am a distance runner and am very lean so my arms look similar to Madonna's. Skinny - not bulky. I'd like to look like Lolo Jones, she's hot! But the problem is, I hate everything but running. *sigh
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    runfreer wrote: »
    This thread is enlightening. It is interesting to read everyone's very different opinions on what 'bulky' is to them. Very subjective.

I am a distance runner and am very lean so my arms look similar to Madonna's. Skinny - not bulky. I'd like to look like Lolo Jones, she's hot! But the problem is, I hate everything but running. *sigh

Bulky is not really subjective. People just use that word wrong like toning my body.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    My brain hurts from this thread. I don't see how "bulky" can be subjective, in the context being discussed. Lean with visible muscle, cannot be perceived as "bulky". Bulk, by definition, means mass. Madonna and Jessica, in no way, have a high level of mass. In fact, their musculature is visible on account of removing unwanted mass (fat). Now, if you want to argue that you don't like the appearance of a woman with low body fat, sure, people are attracted to different things, and that is a valid discussion. But choosing to call lean, low body fat women "bulky" is a failed choice of words, and is probably what leads to these debates. Terminology matters.

YES. Stop saying you want "toned, not bulky" when what you mean is "I prefer a little layer of body fat for aesthetic reasons." You don't dislike muscle. You like some fat. Own it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Not what people were saying. Just that some don't like muscles showing too much on women.
    jemhh wrote: »

My definition of bulky doesn't = low body fat but I am glad that *that* definition of bulky came up in this thread. I think that a lot of people reflexively spout "you're a woman, you won't get bulky" without finding out what people consider bulky to mean.

Madonna got thinner arms than you.

Oh snap. *gigglesnort*
  • runfreer
    runfreer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Bulky is not really subjective. People just use that word wrong like toning my body.

Agreed. By definition, it should not be subjective, but this thread is proving the contrary. For some, bulky=any visible muscle, no matter if it is due to increased mass or low body fat.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Agreed. By definition, it should not be subjective, but this thread is proving the contrary. For some, bulky=any visible muscle, no matter if it is due to increased mass or low body fat.

So what they should say is not I don't want to lift to get bulky. They should say I do not want my body fat% getting low enough to see muscles which depends on nutrition and not really exercise.

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

That's the problem with these chats. Bulky does not equal visible muscle. There should not be a contrary. Those who think it does, confuse the topic, and it typically takes pages of comments to clear up the confusion, at which point, the person who doesn't understand proper terminology has long since left the thread, and no education actually occurs. Red and blue are both colors, lean and bulky are both body types, but in both cases, the 2 can't be properly interchanged.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Shandajh wrote: »
    especially if they have more male type hormones in their system, which I have been tested to have - too much androgen and DHEA and testosterone. So, I agree w/ you, @sunnydays851 - Cathe Friedrich is another one - I don't want to be that bulky either. My thigh muscles get bulky, so I try to avoid leg weights, which are the main things that are supposed to thin your legs - in normal women i guess. When I used to work out, my arms would get a little too muscular too, without trying very hard. People would comment I was buff or looked like I could kick their *kitten*. Now you see, in my photos with my saggy arms I have now - it's either that or a buff fest!
    Your average male's testosterone is 15x your average woman's. The amount of variance in women who don't actually have some kind of tumor or other serious medical issue isn't going to be enough to change how much muscle you build.
    It also would be less likely to affect your thighs - upper body muscles are the ones that tend to have the most androgen receptors.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I know. It's crazy. I think some people have seen too much pro-ana thinspo on Pinterest.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Not what people were saying. Just that some don't like muscles showing too much on women.
    jemhh wrote: »

My definition of bulky doesn't = low body fat but I am glad that *that* definition of bulky came up in this thread. I think that a lot of people reflexively spout "you're a woman, you won't get bulky" without finding out what people consider bulky to mean.

I wouldn't call her bulky. She's defined.

To me, bulk implies mass. I'm weak and I could snap her like a dry twig.