Informal Poll: Mean People

Options
At what stage of your weight loss did you begin hearing unsolicited mean comments from those around you? Anything from passive-aggressive barbs to "you have an eating disorder." I would love to hear context, too.

>Obese
>Overweight
>High Normal BMI
>Midrange BMI
>Low BMI
>Underweight

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    For me, I was still technically overweight when my parents began making comments about my health, and now that I'm in the 22s BMI-wise, an acquaintance told me I'm looking "older" and not as attractive. I also got to hear some sniping from a friend about how easy it is for me to lose. (It isn't! It's just math!)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    at no point...

given the number of times I've read through threads like this, I've largely deduced that this is a female thing...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I will still in the overweight range when a friend drunkenly asked me to stop losing weight before I got smaller than she is. That was really the worst of the batch, as I recall. I got plenty of "you're wasting away" type comments in the overweight range that were well meant but totally wrong, but not much real sniping.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I was a high normal BMI, but very low body fat. The comments ranged from steroid accusations to calling me anorexic. My work offered to pay to send me to a therapist for my "eating disorder". I'm hoping it won't happen again this competition prep since they've seen that I do gain the weight back.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm at 22 BMI right now
    Right now people a A holes eff em
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm still around 7 lbs overweight but I have not heard any mean comments yet.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    at no point...

given the number of times I've read through threads like this, I've largely deduced that this is a female thing...

Female here and didn't really get it now or when I was overweight or underweight. I'm guessing it's a sensitive people thing ( I don't mean that in a bad way - I guess if anything is said, I don't pick up on it because I don't really care?)

Now getting stronger, that really seems to put other women's backs up IRL :o

• TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I got called "anorexic" by my HR manager, of all people, when I was mid-range BMI (5' 4" 127lbs). It actually is a bit thin for my frame, but, seriously?

Edit: I've actually never been insulted for being obese or overweight (which I am still overweight currently...) - not to my face, anyway...
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    low BMI - around 20 or so. haters!
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I had negative comments when I was overweight and now I'm in the low healthy BMI and I get comments that I'm losing too much and told I need to stop.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I've never been overweight per BMI and have heard those comments from BMI ~24 to BMI ~19 and continue to do so from friends, coworkers, etc. I generally assume it's a misplaced compliment/not meant maliciously, but I've had a few friends drunkenly get pretty harsh about me watching my weight because I'm not actually fat. To which I have to reply "Yeah...I'm not fat because I watch it," same as I do to the people at work who try to push food and especially desserts on me.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Low BMI. I get the occasional "you're too skinny" comments, but I don't give a flying *kitten*.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    at no point...

Female here and didn't really get it now or when I was overweight or underweight. I'm guessing it's a sensitive people thing ( I don't mean that in a bad way - I guess if anything is said, I don't pick up on it because I don't really care?)

maybe that's it...

i don't recall if anyone every commented or not...likely because I don't really care...the only person's opinion I care about is my wife's and my kids'. most of her comments go something like, "350 Lb dead-lift sweetie...that's awesome" (smacks *kitten*).
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty sensitive person and all the comments: "you're too thin", "you need to eat more" etc felt like compliments to me. I try to assume people have good intentions until they expressly prove me wrong.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    >Obese

My aunt told me I needed to stop losing weight when my BMI was around 34. I then told her that I had plenty of fat to lose and that I was looking to get to a healthy weight of 130 lbs; to which she replied would be extremely unhealthy. I'm 5'4.5" and ya 130 lbs isn't even close to being "too small" for my height or frame. She's obese herself though.

~Side note: I'm actually about 8 lbs away from my goal now. :tongue:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I've lost a stone (14lbs) and I'm still obese (32.5 Bmi). I've already been told I really don't need to lose any more.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    at no point...

I can't deny that I'm sensitive, especially to comments about weight. It's not so much caring what people think--I'm going to do what I'm going to do whether you like it or not--but it does sting a little when people turn on you for improving yourself.

And yeah, starting strength training seems to draw negative comments from people who think I'm going to get supah bulky.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    When I was 15 and a perfectly healthy weight, my dad used to say I had an eating disorder. When I was 27 and 10 pounds heavier, his comment was "Wow, you sure have gained a lot of weight."

It didn't really bother me. I actually thought it was kind of funny, especially considering he was 30# overweight at the time...