How can I get toned with strength training without looking bulky?

Options

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

There's just no way I could get there because my arms look like hers, but I still have fat in my midsection because genetics. So again... either it's more muscular arms (because lower body fat on them) or a flat belly (ok, if I didn't have loose skin) for me.

All I'm saying is that no, it's not always possible to get the look you're looking for depending on your genetics. I'd probably end up with arms like Madonna before I lose the rest of my belly/hip fat... which looks 'muscular' and 'bulky' to me. I think it's what people mean when they say that they don't want to get bulky by lifting... I don't want arms like that. Legs I don't care, but they're pretty lean and muscular already as well (because again, all my fat is in my midsection, lol).

I guess we all have different ideas of what we want and what we find attractive.

See, I actually think her arms are a bit… soft. I don’t want to use the word “flabby”, but... It just goes to show, our views are diametrically opposite.

Anyhow, I <3 musclez, so yeah.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    So she was lean and shredded in this picture. I don't see a lot of muscle mass though which is what bulky is.

She looks bulky to me in the image above (the jogging one). Sorry if my opinion bothers some of you :p

But I agree, there's also the whole 'low body fat' thing (which I'm definitely not afraid of getting, because that's not gonna happen). But it's a good point. And that's the problem with lifting, you can't decide where you lose the fat, so you might end up with arms more defined than you'd like just to get a flat belly.

It's not that you don't find low body fat aesthetically pleasing that's the problem. That's a matter of personal taste, and of course you are entitled to preference.

You're just misusing a word. Bulk means mass. Madonna doesn't have great amounts of muscle mass. What she has is visible definition due to low body fat.

Why are you taking it personally? She still has more muscle mass than I like, so, for ME, she is bulky.

OK this isn't going anywhere I'm out of here, lol.

This amount of muscle may be more to your liking then.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    So she was lean and shredded in this picture. I don't see a lot of muscle mass though which is what bulky is.

She looks bulky to me in the image above (the jogging one). Sorry if my opinion bothers some of you :p

But I agree, there's also the whole 'low body fat' thing (which I'm definitely not afraid of getting, because that's not gonna happen). But it's a good point. And that's the problem with lifting, you can't decide where you lose the fat, so you might end up with arms more defined than you'd like just to get a flat belly.

It's not that you don't find low body fat aesthetically pleasing that's the problem. That's a matter of personal taste, and of course you are entitled to preference.

You're just misusing a word. Bulk means mass. Madonna doesn't have great amounts of muscle mass. What she has is visible definition due to low body fat.

Why are you taking it personally? She still has more muscle mass than I like, so, for ME, she is bulky.

Bwhahahaha! :laugh:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I think this chart should improve people's vocabulary.
    W5ZAqro.jpg
    Guys near the top would be what people generally call bulky.
    Guys near the bottom are defined.
    Some people want to say an A3, A4 B4, or what gets me A2 are bulky.

I'll take column 3
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    W5ZAqro.jpg

I'll take column 3

If we're calling dibs, can I go ahead and take Brad Pitt from a few pages back?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

LOLOLOLOL

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    W5ZAqro.jpg

I'll take column 3

Fight you for it?
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    W5ZAqro.jpg

I'll take column 3

All of it? I kind of had my eye on D3.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea expressing an opinion would be so...inflaming.

I am not against having body strength. I've had friends and coworkers who were in the military (one was a woman who was a PT stud) and they've all told me there are a variety of ways to strengthen and gain muscles without lifting much at all.

What seems concerning is this idea or assumption if women isn't on board with lifting weights, she must be against losing fat, getting healthier, losing weight, or having strength. Or if she doesn't care for muscle definition she wants to be fat. Of course a lot of women want to have muscle and bone strength; most people don't want to break a hip from a fall in old age. Not really sure how "bulky" turned into "be fat", either. Why does it always have to be opposing?

Yes, I do believe a certain layer of fat is required if you're interested in a physical ideal. I'll own that...but I am not really interested in looking like Madonna or having Jessica's arms because that's not appealing to me. The "stacked" look or high muscle definition if you will. Personally, I find a physique like Maria Menounos to be appealing because she has muscle without it being obvious.

A lot of women would find these physiques to be ideal:

http://www.spyghana.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/maria-menounos-body-diet.jpg
    http://www.etonline.com/media/photo/2014/09/24104577/425_miranda_lambert_bikini.jpg
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/11/23/1416775211029_Image_galleryImage__MINIMUM_FEE_250_PER_IMAG.JPG
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/07/article-2229369-15E6B4C6000005DC-859_306x623.jpg

Also, it might surprise people to learn ballerinas are very strong, in spite of their very lean and streamlined physiques. It takes a lot of strength to be able to make such fine, precise, and powerful movements.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Nerdycurls wrote: »
    Also, it might surprise people to learn ballerinas are very strong, in spite of their very lean and streamlined physiques. It takes a lot of strength to be able to make such fine, precise, and powerful movements.

That doesn't surprise me. But also, have you been to the ballet? Have you brought binoculars? Many ballerinas have amazing muscle definition.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Ok, well I'll take D4 tbh. That's the most attractive to me...like a sexy lineman or farm boy ;)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

That doesn't surprise me. But also, have you been to the ballet? Have you brought binoculars? Many ballerinas have amazing muscle definition.

They sure do!

01dbcafc1bd6c89ebd3646948c73073f.jpg

dianavishneva.jpg

e8aef07b28042338b1e578db698ed748.jpg
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

They sure do!

dianavishneva.jpg

I have been following this thread all day. Love this post.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

They sure do!

dianavishneva.jpg

Gorgeous! The last time I went to the ballet I brought little binoculars and I was in awe of their bodies.
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been to the NYC ballet and the muscle definition was obvious in their legs (no surprise), but not in their arms the way Madonna has!

Of course the muscle definition is obvious with the ballerinas in the pictures. It would be a little concerning if there was no definition while they're flexing during dances. However, I doubt they appear that flexed when they aren't dancing. I don't find the "permanent flexed look" appealing.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Well, between all the ladies calling out D3's and A4's, I think someone sank my battleship.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    awwwws
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Ballet?

mbaryshnikov572.jpg
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options