Ladies - - Does she look bulky?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I think all this arguing over terminology misses the point. Some women who say they don't want to lift heavy for fear of getting bulky are talking about this look that Madonna has. Whether you agree with their terminolgy is fairly irrelevant. The point is, they don't want to look like that.

...and they never will. It takes hard work. It's not like Madonna just lifts a few days a week and this accidentally happens.

I don't care if women don't want to look like Madonna or any other woman. But to think that it's so easy to look like that--that you can achieve it with minimal effort at the gym and it's somehow an inevitable conclusion--is borderline offensive.

Offensive to Madonna? I can't imagine that she'd care. I would wager that my arms would be close to that 'bulky' if I dropped my BF low enough. But I'll never know.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    I think all this arguing over terminology misses the point. Some women who say they don't want to lift heavy for fear of getting bulky are talking about this look that Madonna has. Whether you agree with their terminolgy is fairly irrelevant. The point is, they don't want to look like that.

...and they never will. It takes hard work. It's not like Madonna just lifts a few days a week and this accidentally happens.

I don't care if women don't want to look like Madonna or any other woman. But to think that it's so easy to look like that--that you can achieve it with minimal effort at the gym and it's somehow an inevitable conclusion--is borderline offensive.

So now you are saying that a "normal" woman can never have an "extraordinary" body? No one is offending anyone so I don't see how you are taking offense to that. If a woman wants to lift, she has that right, if she doesn't want to lift she also has that right. Hard word, dedication, focus, determination and resolve can achieve even the impossible. How you want to look is entirely up to you and no one can tell you that you cannot achieve what you want to achieve.

I think her point was that it takes a great deal of work, dedication, and targeted effort to get that look, whereas some women are of the opinion that the second they pick up a dumbbell, they’ll develop big strong bulky arms. This can be a little offensive to those who in fact train intensively exactly for that, and who know that achieving this result is not effortless. That attitude downplays the dedication and hard work they put in towards getting a lean and muscular appearance.

It’s one thing to want a less muscular look for yourself, and quite another thing to act like you could achieve that look if you put in the slightest bit of effort when there are people out there busting their err backs to get to that point.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    She is old and wants to look like a 21 year old.

Can you explain what you mean by that?

I don't need to explain if you don't know her story google it. @yopeeps025, na wah oo. E dey craz ooo.

What does her story have to do with answering my OP?

Talk about turning on one of your own. Hmmmm. Nice

What did you mean by this??

I'm been waiting for clarification on that response. @jorinya
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Personally, about half those arms would be just fine with me or maybe even a quarter. And I am the same age as Madonna.
    Just asked hubby. His response. Nah.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I would love to have that much definition. I am not, however, at this point in time, willing to do what it takes to get it. I'd definitely put her on my "goal body" wall though :) I can see how some women might call her "bulky" but I definitely don't.
  • yopeeps025
    edited June 2015
    Options
    justcat206 wrote: »
    I would love to have that much definition. I am not, however, at this point in time, willing to do what it takes to get it. I'd definitely put her on my "goal body" wall though :) I can see how some women might call her "bulky" but I definitely don't.

So you see how some women would use the definition of bulky wrong.

• jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options

I don't need to explain if you don't know her story google it. @yopeeps025, na wah oo. E dey craz ooo.

Check out the fr I sent you. The explanation is there my friend.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

So now you are saying that a "normal" woman can never have an "extraordinary" body? No one is offending anyone so I don't see how you are taking offense to that. If a woman wants to lift, she has that right, if she doesn't want to lift she also has that right. Hard word, dedication, focus, determination and resolve can achieve even the impossible. How you want to look is entirely up to you and no one can tell you that you cannot achieve what you want to achieve.

I think her point was that it takes a great deal of work, dedication, and targeted effort to get that look, whereas some women are of the opinion that the second they pick up a dumbbell, they’ll develop big strong bulky arms. This can be a little offensive to those who in fact train intensively exactly for that, and who know that achieving this result is not effortless. That attitude downplays the dedication and hard work they put in towards getting a lean and muscular appearance.

It’s one thing to want a less muscular look for yourself, and quite another thing to act like you could achieve that look if you put in the slightest bit of effort when there are people out there busting their err backs to get to that point.

This doesn't make much sense to me. They are saying they don't want to put in the effort for fear of looking like that, and you find it offensive because they don't understand that it would take effort to look like that, and because you put in a lot of effort to try and look like that.

Why would they say they don't want to put in the effort unless they knew it took effort?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

So you won't answer the question.
  • jorinya
    Options

I want a flat stomach and defined arms. I lift dumbbells, do resistance training and cardio. I can't go to a gym because of some reasons I don't want to get into. This illness is a pain. I was on Level 3 of 30 Day Shred when it struck me. Once recovered I will be going after the body I want but with defined muscle tone not overly muscular. Don't want to scare my husband, lol.
    If you want anything in this world you gotta work damn hard to get it. That includes having a fab body!
  • Emilia777
    Options

This doesn't make much sense to me. They are saying they don't want to put in the effort for fear of looking like that, and you find it offensive because they don't understand that it would take effort to look like that, and because you put in a lot of effort to try and look like that.

Why would they say they don't want to put in the effort unless they knew it took effort?

That’s the thing, a lot of the people (that I’ve seen lately at least) say that they want to avoid looking like that, because for them it just sort of instantly happens without doing much. If they said they don’t want to put in the effort to achieve a look they don’t want, I would totally respect that.

Anyway, all this is starting to make my head hurt. Everyone can have whatever goals they choose, obviously, and preferences vary in terms of what each person’s deal physique looks like. I simply found the misapprehensions about what it takes to become lean and muscular frustrating. I’m going to just let it go now. :smile:
  • jorinya
    Options

So you won't answer the question.

Here in public? Ah God. Man your killing me. Lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

That’s the thing, a lot of the people (that I’ve seen lately at least) say that they want to avoid looking like that, because for them it just sort of instantly happens without doing much. If they said they don’t want to put in the effort to achieve a look they don’t want, I would totally respect that.

Anyway, all this is starting to make my head hurt. Everyone can have whatever goals they choose, obviously, and preferences vary in terms of what each person’s deal physique looks like. I simply found the misapprehensions about what it takes to become lean and muscular frustrating. I’m going to just let it go now. :smile:

They may think it does happen easily because they start a more intense training program and what happens? Their muscles "bulk" up from water retention. If you don't understand that this is natural, you would probably think you just put on a lot of muscle mass quickly.
  • Emilia777
    Options

They may think it does happen easily because they start a more intense training program and what happens? Their muscles "bulk" up from water retention. If you don't understand that this is natural, you would probably think you just put on a lot of muscle mass quickly.

This is a very good point, and definitely an understandable thing to think. Oh well.
  • jorinya
    Options
    @yopeeps025 , so are you going to accept my fr. Answer me here and I'll answer you here too. Don't worry, I'm a big girl, I won't take offense if you say no. Btw I think you have come a long way on your journey, your profile pic shows that, well done you. Is that enough butt kissing for you,lol.
  • yopeeps025
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @yopeeps025 , so are you going to accept my fr. Answer me here and I'll answer you here too. Don't worry, I'm a big girl, I won't take offense if you say no. Btw I think you have come a long way on your journey, your profile pic shows that, well done you. Is that enough butt kissing for you,lol.

Your Fr is not showing up. I think I know where you are going with this though. You are saying in a way she bought that shredded body and you feel that she cheated to get it.
  • jorinya
    Options
    Nope. That not it at all. Shock and horror. I don't like plastic surgery, that's just me. As for her body, if she thinks its ok for her then its ok for her. A little bit too much for my liking. But that's just me.
    You declined my fr that's why its not showing up B)
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Nope. That not it at all. Shock and horror. I don't like plastic surgery, that's just me. As for her body, if she thinks its ok for her then its ok for her. A little bit too much for my liking. But that's just me.
    You declined my fr that's why its not showing up B)

I actually sent you one.

• jorinya
    Options
    @yopeeps025 , very sly work. I salute you. Decline my fr then send me one, lol. We had a deal. Should I still answer you as technically speaking you broke the deal. Little tip, you should be careful how much power you give a person. Now the ball is in my court, maw hahaha.
    Ok enough of that, I will answer shortly, let me finish my cup of tea. :p
  • jorinya
    Options
    Do you remember in another post you put Nigeria the motherland?????? Answer that first then the answer you seek I will give you.