Coconut milk? Almond? Soy? Dairy?

cnekniher
cnekniher Posts: 71 Member
Whats the scoop? What's the best and worst? What should I choose?

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Depends on what you are looking for. Not all soy milks tadte the same. Silk organic plain is good. Coconut milk the same thing you have to find the right one for you. Store brands taste is not great. Almond milk I think only there is one maker. Pretty goid and creamy. Mayenberg goatmilk is good. Dairy organic and hormone free is best.
  • donnamcnulty
    donnamcnulty Posts: 12 Member
    I would like to stop using ff/sf creamer in my coffee. . I was thinking coconut milk with Splenda but the coconut milk is not creamy at all.. any one had any success with almond or rice milk? ?
    Soy doesn't do well with my body..
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Well they all have their unique tastes. It depends on what your goals for taste and nutrition profile are. I like a blend of almond and coconut because I like the sweet richness of coconut but the lower calories of almond milk. Also be sure of which brand you buy and the additives
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I detest pure almond milk for coffee. Great for cereal but it curdles up in coffee and tastes awful IMO. The almond coconut blend is much better.

You could also try a coconut milk with a higher fat content or more coconut solids. They sell coconut "creamer" with the regular creamers.

Rice milk is the wateriest of them all in my experience. I wouldn't use it for coffee.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Nothing compares to cows milk :disappointed: The only other "milk"I can tolerate in my tea/coffee is almond and coconut milk.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I occasionally use a bit of half and half in my coffee, but not too often as I don't like drinking my calories.
    Otherwise, I don't like any of them - the almond, coconut, soy, etc - I think they all taste weird and have a really weird texture - almost chunky and slimy at the same time. I tried So Delicious once and it was the worst thing ever.
  • JenileeFinley
    JenileeFinley Posts: 15 Member
    Wildwood soy creamer is delicious. Almond milk I find to be watery.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Whichever one you like the best and helps you fit your calorie goals. Without any further stated stipulations, which you gave none, it's really arbitrary.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    I now drink Silk Vanilla Soy Light. Only 35 calories for half a cup in my cereal or oatmeal. I use it for protein shakes, too. I really like it. I tried Aldi soy milk and thought it was gross.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I them all but maining use heavy whipping cream in my coffee and eat cottage cheese but just go with 3.5% butter fat milk now if I want milk to drink since I do not do grains anymore.
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    I go for unsweetened vanilla almond milk, just because I prefer the flavor. I can't handle milk at all, and it hits the spot. I found I can eat Greek yogurt with no problems, so that is a win win for some calcium and protein.

For coffee, I just go with non dairy creamer. Again I am probably used to it, but the off brands usually taste odd.
  • KillRKit
    KillRKit Posts: 18 Member
    Unsweetened almond coconut milk is my favorite, 45 calories for a full cup and it froths perfectly for fancy coffee drinks
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Almond milk doesn't look great in coffee since it kinda curdles but rates great! Really nice flavour to the coffee you don't gr with milk. As does cashew. For tea and other drinks though it has to be semi skim cows milk!

@KillRKit can I ask how you froth yours, my almond milk never froths with my milk frother (one of those ones attached to the expresso machine)? Do you heat it before frothing or something? Or you a hand one? I'm willing to switch to almond coconut If it froths!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Whichever best fits your calorie and macro goal.

I mostly stick to dairy as it has the highest protein content. Soy is my second choice. Almond milk tastes nice alone or in protein shakes but it curdles in coffee.
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    dairy milk is terrible- humans can't absorb the calcium and it actually proven to leak calcium from bones. better get calcium from other sources like plants etc

i use coco milk in my coffee and add some to the water i cook my oats in.... and almond milk in my cold cereals/baking and soya milk for overnight oats :)
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Unsweetened Almond milk is the only milk I can drink. I always found regular milk to be nasty.
  • KillRKit
    I have never had plain almond milk froth, but the almond coconut blend (almond breeze brand) froths and I just use my stick blender(approx 1 min) in a tall cup and then microwave it (little less than a min). I would guess that an actual milk frother would have better results :)
  • KillRKit
    If I had to guess I would assume that plain almond milk doesn't froth due to a lower fat content and the mix with the coconut is perfect.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    I hear soy can mess with hormones but i really like vanilla almond milk! I wouldn't suggust drinking it plain (it's not *that* good) but in oatmeal, cereal, hot chocolate sort of stuff I can't tell a difference :)