WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Thank you all so very much for all the love, It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy..
    I grew up with one brother, and my cousins were scattered, so never really had any really really close family .
    I LOVE each and every one of you so very much, feel like I am surrounded by love and it feels wonderful <3
    Cynthia~ that sounds soooooo wonderful... but no money for that... I get a whopping 20.00 a week spending money, I do carry a debit and credit card,but if I use either have to get the ok from the DH first..
    Oh I felt horrible last night, I go to see the DH last night and he is booking his trip for florida in November..
    I feel so disconnected, he has something to look forward to.. he calls the shots, and I have to wait until mid december before I can go to Florida..and if I have to look for another job that means no Florida in December either..
    The stress from the reno, work, DFIL has not done anything for my weightloss..
    I am stopping at a gym in town and will see about there 7 day trial.. then will see if maybe I can talk the DH into that for my birthday..
    So wish there was something for me to look forward to :/
  • grandmallie
    Options
    back again~
    I cant remember who asked, but my boss is in his mid 30's he is so busy with other offices even though our office is there first baby,It wouldn't faze him, they hire and fire and try and find the cheapest help possible.. our office is probably the highest paid office as it was an established office, They cut my hours a few years ago when the Obama care thing came out so they wouldnt have to offer me insurance, all of us are on our spouses insurance, and if I wanted to go on there insurance it would take my whole paycheck..
    I know where God closes a door he opens a window..
    I know they would LOVE to have me down at the nursing home,but at my age I would never be able to handle being a CNA , I could work in the kitchen but, it wouldnt pay enough..
    well off to get my day started.. will catch up later
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies :flowerforyou:

Just popping in to wish a happy healthy fun filled weekend to everyone <3 !

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC B)
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Alison: My heart hurts for you. Why do you get a $20/wk allowance? And, can't use a charge/debit card without DH's approval? You do so much for others and you are made to live like that? Sorry, it's none of my business really but I hate to know that you are living like that.

As for water drinking, I love ice cold water (even in winter). I like hot things to be hot and cold things to be cold.

Otherwise, hope all have a great weekend.

Carol - Peach
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Just trying to respond to a few things before DH wakes.Will watch for the golfer mentioned Phil Mickelson & Tiger also made the cut,but 1st guy (don't know his name) is so far ahead,will be a job to be in top 10.Had heavy rain last nt,so anyone who hits the green will have it made.
    ALISON,here is a hug & a kleenex.......have a good cry,then feel better. Did anyone actually mention firing you? BTW....had to delete the would of,could of & should of about the perfect man you live with. My husband is great......but even so,there are times when it's a good thing I don't own a weapon!! We are both far,far from perfect.

My fav summer memories would make a good thread.Mine would be running all over the neighborhood barefoot,my blue bike,taking a book or mag along with a sandwich & spend hrs beside the creek,reading.Lots of kool aid......ice water,tomatoes,radishes ,green beans & green onions from the backyard.Peaches too.....Sis climbed it to get a peach,fell & broke her arm.Learning to swim in the river,lots & lots of reading,Saturday movies,walking to & from so bro & I could buy popcorn. It was a long walk,but we didn't care.4 kids & parents going to a drive in movie.Tap dance recitals,seeing school friends most every day. Playing hop scotch,jumping rope.....Mom & Grma packing 2 picnic baskets ,then spending the day at county fair. Kids had 50c each to spend.....a fortune! Being oh so ready for school to start....yellow pencils, tablets & my fav.....a new box of crayons.

This will prob get cut off......but summers were so special,so wonderful.Lots of memories. B) Pat
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi, all, typing like mad in the hotel lobby--this time on my own laptop. Which I did bring with me, but didn't want to wake my hubby up yesterday. Thus the cootie-fest with the hotel computers... :) Regarding hotel coffee, I'd rather take dirt and swill it around in my mouth than drink most in-room hotel coffee, and my husband, who will drink it most of the time, says this one is particularly awful. I love gas station coffee, however (not saying I'm rational, just saying) so I went and bought four large cups this morning, two for him, two for me. He's still asleep, but will be happy to stick it in the microwave to heat it up.

Carol/Peach, dear heart--I'm more than glad my crazy family could make your growing up years look a little less so... I do have a writer's bent for making the truth sound a little less harsh, but you seriously couldn't make my family up if you tried. Crazy isn't even close. I love 'em. Don't hang around most of them, but I found out a long time ago that you can love someone from a distance just as easily--and sometimes much more easily. Up close, love takes a beating, often enough.

We're taking off for the ranch this morning as soon as he's had enough sleep... so I'll be toodling off up to the room shortly. Was going to do another couple miles on the elliptical this morning, but decided to just not today. I'll take a quick shower while he's absorbing some coffee for his own wake-up time, and then pack things up while he showers. I'll have the first shift, driving straight through the Mid-Cities and Fort Worth, but will stick to the tollways, which aren't too busy traffic-wise, and then I'll have six or seven hours to chill and crochet while he drives the long highways home.

And Pip, I for one have zero doubt that you could out-raunch whoever you needed to, just to shut 'em up. Something in that smile tells me so...

Had to post the picture up... did the usual rounds of Amazon to see how sales are going--and y'all have affected mine and Heather in the UK's sales SO MUCH that we are showing up on each other's pages! Thank you all again, for the reviews, for reading, for all the advice and the community here that I was fortunate enough to luck into on my very first forum thread... before I got traumatized by the raunchy ones... :)

Later, all...
    Lisa H in West Texas (soon... soon... eight/ten hours away)

vras6jkj8ups.jpg
  • lonemaple
    lonemaple Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    I keep popping back in .... Trying to keep up! And trying to remember what I wanted to post .

Heather ... I think that's wonderful DH wants to join you on your trip ... Even if it's not his thing!

About the cemetery ... Absutely appalling ... I keep thinking about the movie Poltergeist ... Weren't they haunted because of building on a burial site?

Pip/Poop ... Loss anniversaries are so hard ...

I finally planted my annuals and trimmed back the only remaining bush in the front bed so you could see my planter box on the house ... I am not good at this stuff but feel compelled to have more than dead and dying things in our yard.

DeeDee ... Enjoy retirement ... We think we're 6 years away.

For those of you who walk and bike on public roads (not paths or sidewalks) ... Please be careful and dress like a neon sign so people can see you! I will be attending the funeral of my neighbor who was out walking her dog when struck by a hit and run driver. After a week we thought she only had broken bones and was out of the woods ... She was texting people from her hospital room.... But they missed something ... Probably internal injury ... And she unexpectedly died! My DH now is adamant that I will not walk anywhere but the park ...

I too love to hear about different parts of the world and country ... So share!

Doing pretty good with food choices today ... So far ...

Beth in WNY

Hi Beth! I can totally relate to the yard plants. This is my first spring in my first owned home. The yard is a fair size, takes a couple of hours to mow (bagging the grass). I have been putting in perennials, only to shred them when weed eating
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    morning peep heads, -
    i'm not at work so i can't reply to people specifically cuz i am spoiled with 2 screens at work.

grandmalle - i am bursting at the seams here. i would LOVE to have a conversation with your husband. is that him on your profile pic? if so, can you crop him out?

lhannon - you're right, i can embarrass a trucker with my mouth. i'm surprised i have contained myself here and have not been given the boot.

gonna go workout then go to the ocean to our lil "summer home" (shed converted to a sleeping area/cabin) it's supposed 2b 80ish here, unfortunately, it won't be as hot over by the ocean. hope my reception is good enough over there so i can keep logging, if i don't type back well that means reception sucks.

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    smiley-hug003.gif Ha Ha ... leanred that from a post...

JanetMccc.... Sastoon is 2 1/2 hours south of me

Yup way behind on the posts again.... didn't have a good day yesterday. Too much home office work and tidying up the house for the DGD's visit. Then to town for banking, museum work.....

So today I better get my walk in before DGD gets here.

Lillian in Sunny Saskatchewan
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

pipcd34 wrote: »

lhannon - you're right, i can embarrass a trucker with my mouth. i'm surprised i have contained myself here and have not been given the boot.
    Hey Poopy Pip... I own a trucking company and I can embarrasses the drivers also when need be! Enjoy the ocean.
    Chris in MA
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Just want to say a quick hello. I’ve been getting up to work out every morning at 4:45 thanks to our four legged alarm needing a refill on his kibble. smiley-hug011.gif
    Well, I did set a goal to burn more calories, so that extra time is actually a good thing. But by 8PM I’m yawning and by 9 I’m out.

We’ve had a lot of crazy storms this week. The county due east of us had tornados on the ground this afternoon.

Yesterday I was wearing a pair of capris that have been loose for awhile. However, just for kicks I tried to take them off without unbuttoning, and sure ‘nuf, they slid down my hips. They are in the Goodwill pile now.

Stay well. We can do this.
    Rori
    Colorado Foothills

June Goals
    Increase weekly calorie burn goal by 20%.
    Keep consumption of alcohol to 2x week
    Give someone a compliment every day
    Once a week, call a friend just to check in.
    My word for 2014 is mindfulness.

Way to go Rori...great feeling to put clothes in the goodwill pile.
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Pip I would love to go to the summer cabin, and no that isnt my hubby, that is actually the local weatherman , ha ha ..
    well this is how I see it my friends..
    He can be very loving most of the time he is a LEO ... but is very anal... not to the point of OCD but pretty close..
    I figure.. I have a roof over my head,food and wonderful friends..
    he takes care of the bills and even though we have 2 homes the Florida one is payed off..the renter her rent pays for most of the upkeep and taxes,
    , I have to go, to Lowes now and pick up switches for the elcetrician, I am the gopher, and the hubby today is pointing out everything I am doing wrong..
    Oh how I would love to run away..
    ta ta for now
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    Thanks to all for you support and encouragement.

Lago pus - Rooting for you.

Lillian - I've read the Happiness Project. It was a good read. Currently on the search for Ageless Goddess.

MN Margaret - I'm fine now although both arms are still quite colourful

Yannick nice - good loss

Had a good visit on the dec
    Sharon in Alberta

Sharon - Christine Northrup is a good author - I have a couple of her books. You can probably get the book on Amazon or go to the library and order it.

Lillian
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    Yup...I am reading backwards..... :) because I am sure I will not catch up today....

Must get a move on though, Got to get my walk in and need to shower and straighten up before the kids get here.

Hugs to all (((HUGS))))

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday ! !

Out clinic is open 8am-noon, so I am at work again today. gotta love overtime!!!!! I was able to log my food last evening from my phone - that was SO exciting.

Oops! I did it again. I got so involved with reading about everyone’s lives, I forgot to start my comment sheet, so I will try to start where I am currently reading, and try not to forget again. Please know that you are all so motivating and supportive, and I thank you for every word.

Beth et al – I started teaching DS to do the laundry just before my RA diagnosis. I rarely make him do ALL the laundry, but it is common for him to finish my laundry so I don’t have to hobble up and down the steps too much. As long as I have a job DH does his own laundry. We don’t mix ours, because I have a desk job and he gets dirty and sweaty, so I like mine separated from his. If DS helps with the laundry, I figure that into his “chore chart” for that day.

Mary from MN – It sounds like you are putting a lot of thought into the house situation. I’m confident you will make a great decision. It’s good to know about asbestos, so you can treat it properly. Good Luck !

Kim in N Cali – thanks for the plank reminder. I will go do mine right now. Yay, done! I went the full 60 seconds in all 3 positions. Now, to do them again tomorrow, and the next day. Slow down Terri, baby steps. Congrats to everyone who reached their goals recently !

Joyce – Thanks! I can’t imagine life without singing. I am a station surfer just looking for songs to sing along. It is the performing that I miss. And yes, DS rolls his eyes sometimes. We even made DH crack a smile (tries not to smile too much, since it is crooked from his brain injury) when we were in a drive thru lane and our total came to $18.14 and Dad and I started singing “in 1814 we took a little trip along with Colonel Jackson along the mighty Mississip . . .”

Gilly – Just because you can’t walk between patients at work doesn’t mean you can’t get in any exercise. Sometimes I just stand up, shake my legs, etc. Sometimes I just stretch my arms high up in the air. Whatever it takes that makes less pain instead of more pain. Plus, I keep Rehab putty at my desk, to keep my fingers strong and nimble when I'm unable to crochet. It’s not much, but it’s better than nothing. We can do this together.

Allison – More hugs. Years ago a Grandmother (I had many, as Great-Grandmothers are a norm in my family) said to me “better live with the devil you know than the devil you don’t”. I think she got it from Dear Abby or someone similar. I also had a 70-something employee say to me “You should be sainted for being able to tolerate that man and not be afraid of standing up to him” regarding my second (and now) husband. Love is different for everyone, and I just want to continue to hold you in my arms and in my prayers. My DH and I have separate accounts, and each pay different bills, and he gives me $50 a week as allowance (my salary barely pays the mortgage and car payment). Tons more hugs for you. You are the only person who knows how to take care of you!

This weekend I am going to try to convince DS that he can wear his "old" basketball shoes for a few more months. I don't want to have to buy another pair for 3 months of summer basketball, then another pair in October if he makes the High School team. Plus, I think we need to get his bowling ball re-drilled before Junior Gold in July, and should try to spend a little time in the bowling alley so he's not completely rusty in July.

I got to work extra early today, so I rode the bike for 20 minutes before logging into my computer. Now, I really need to catch-up on my paperwork, so I'm not too far behind in 3 weeks when I leave for Country USA.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Lillian and Sharon I just caught some of Christine Northrup giving a talk on public T.V. I liked her message that we need to move more. She also talked about fluctuating blood sugar on health. I am going to get a glucometer to test my blood sugar even though I have never been diagnosed diabetic. I also liked how she talked about you want to be in the optimal range when it comes to things like Vit D levels and blood sugars. I too believe you can get some of her books at the library.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Terri - I am also at work today and am sitting here trying to stiffle giggles while I imagine what the patients in the waiting room would think if they saw me get up and start shaking my legs or stretching up to the ceiling :smiley:
    Maybe I will try it next week :wink:
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Pip: Thanks for the article on water...it was very informative.

Katla: I agree that you can decide how to feel about them and what to do about them. I think what I appreciated most about the quote was the word "choice". I used to feel like a victim to the stress I was experiencing but having a choice on how to view it and what to do about it has made a huge difference to me.

Joan: Refusing the cheese biscuits at Red Lobster... That's dedication!! WTG Victory.gif

Mary: I hope that items can be repaired within your budget, maybe the current owners would be willing to pick up some of the costs.

Lillian: Reading backwards is allowed.

Thought for the day: No one is perfect... absolutely no one. Like precious stones, we have a few flaws, but why focus on that? Focus on what you like about yourself, and that will bring you happiness and peace. - Richard Simmons

4 hours of Tai Chi coming up with a friend. Gotta get my buttski in gear so that I have time for breakfast and lunch before I leave and get supper set up in the slow cookers. Yep I'm going to make meatloaf in one of them and baked potatoes in the other...first time for everything. Tex Mex spuds here we come.

Have a wonderful day all.

June Goals:

1. Do menu planning for June (in progress...3 weeks almost complete)
    2. Eat 3 meals a day
    3. Log all meals
    4. Plan and Do one fun thing each week (W1: Hot stone massage and weekend of Tai Chi with friend)
    5. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for 30 minutes.

Carey-Edmonton
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies!
    A few thoughts before I begin my weekend.

Barbie...what an incredible transformation and I admire your knitting skills. I knit but I stick to simple things like scarfs and dish rags. It helped me a lot when I was trying to quit smoking and eating. Thank you for sharing the pictures and giving me inspiration.

Sylvia...I am so sorry that you had to spend the day in the hospital but glad that you had to have those tests which pinpointed your problem which you are hopefully able to manage. So happy you are OK and enjoy your new van.

Alison...I can't imagine having to live with such a controlling husband in this day and age. It reminds me of my step father and makes my heart hurt for you. It is also so sad that your work environment is so bad because it would be helpful if you had a place to "escape" to everyday. In the short term I think that joining a gym would help, you would have somewhere without stress to go to and the exercise may improve your mental state and give you the strength you need. I wish you all the best.

Joan...congratulations on your excellent food choices at the restaurant. I can totally relate to how difficult it is to "hold back" when dining out, especially when we are with people who do not have to be mindful of every bite. I have been having the same struggles. For several months I just didn't go out to eat because I didn't know how to handle it. Excellent job losing 9 lbs. that's equal to a bag of sugar and 4 lbs. of butter you are not carrying around anymore. I like to put losses in visual terms.

Janet...keep up the good work staying off the nicotine. You are doing great!

Mary in MN...I hope that the house works out for you. I remember when you first told us about it how excited you were, it seemed to be just what you were looking for. I was so sad for you when it looked like you wouldn't be buying it. Fingers and toes crossed.

Sluts (sorry, can't remember your real name love this one)you were asking about sugar, this is what worked for me and I have a wicked sweet tooth. I was told to cut my sugar intake to 50g or less/day and the only sugar I should be getting was from fruit. I was also told to stay away from all artificial sweeteners except for the natural ones like stevia. I did this and sure enough the cravings stopped. So basically I went cold turkey and to be honest it really wasn't that bad. I did this in September and now I am not as strict and have some sugary treats every once in awhile. I haven't had the cravings like I used to and when they strike it is manageable.

As I was catching up on the posts this morning a thought occurred to me as to why this forum has become my new addiction (I have an addictive personality), it's because you are the only ones I feel comfortable with sharing my weight loss victories. In my life here I no longer have an SO and it's a tricky business with my friends. Although I have some really close friends who know I am doing this and I love them dearly, I feel that I cannot celebrate (and believe me, I do privately celebrate), every accomplishment with them. The ones who have never had to lose a significant amount of weight (it's close to 50lbs. for me), say "good for you" but can't really relate to what a lifestyle change and commitment it's been and then the ones who want to lose a lot of weight but haven't been successful, really don't want to hear how well you're doing. They are a bit jealous. What they all don't realize, but a lot of you do, is that it is constant vigilance and planning. Running out to grab a bite to eat is no longer an option for me, I have to plan what I'm going to eat out as well as adjusting my other meals and exercise. I can't just eat and drink like I used to when I can only have 1200 calories/day. So thank you dear Ladies for letting me shamelessly pat myself on the back.

As I posted yesterday, I went out to dinner on Thursday and had book club last night which always involves food. I did very well both evenings but still consumed more calories than usual. Typically I wouldn't weigh myself for at least 3 days after an "eating event" so I don't see a gain, but this morning I decided that I should see what I gained. My rationale was that someday soon I would be on maintenance and that it may be helpful to seen how many extra calories I could tolerate without a weight gain. You must realize that this is my early morning, pre-coffee brain thinking. I was delighted and danced off the scale when I registered a .2 (1/5) lb. loss!! Yes Cheri, a very small loss but a loss just the same.

One of my goals this month is to do something everyday that makes me happy. I will share what made me happy yesterday. As some of you may know, I just love a bargain and shopping at thrift stores. Yesterday I went to Goodwill to get jeans. Fortunately my old jeans were getting too big and I needed a new pair of "goal jeans" (I hang a pair of jeans up outside my closet door that are too small and are my incentive to fit Into. I can now wear my last pair of "goal jeans" comfortably). I bought 3 pairs of high end ($100+) jeans and a pair of capris for $15.48!! One pair was brand new. I was a very happy girl!

Gotta go take Jake the rescue dog for a long walk. It been great chatting with you this morning and I hope you have a fantastic weekend.
    Chris in MA

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Alison: well, get the OK from DH. (Agree with Peach Carol, Pip, and, well, the whole groep.) And he'd better give it to you. You deserve more than just "a roof over your head". BTW, congrats on being the only person I know to spell "faze" correctly! :)

Cynthia :flowerforyou: