Weight loss flow chart... 2.0!

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    based on the derp level around here, I think most will not even understand your flow chart :)

Possible that some may not understand it all but hopefully this will prompt them to provide more helpful info or ask more specific questions. Also, for the sake of my sanity, I'm choosing to maintain my faith in humanity and believe that for every idiot we encounter, there is someone who is just new and confused and hasn't figured out how to navigate the forums yet :P

LOL you must be new here… :)

Nope, just tragically optimistic :)

And I like that about you! :)
  • hearts77
    hearts77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great chart! I am still pretty new here and it took me weeks of lurking the forums to figure this stuff out and buy a dang food scale. I came to mfp with a lot of bad information (and lord knows there's plenty more floating around the forums) and it was super confusing at first. Eventually I read the stickies and also noticed that veteran posters always had the same few bits of advice, but It's cool seeing the basics broken down very simply like this.

It's funny to me now, but I nearly had myself convinced that I must have a medical condition preventing me from losing weight. :D Just like every other snowflake...

• lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    hearts77 wrote: »
    Great chart! I am still pretty new here and it took me weeks of lurking the forums to figure this stuff out and buy a dang food scale. I came to mfp with a lot of bad information (and lord knows there's plenty more floating around the forums) and it was super confusing at first. Eventually I read the stickies and also noticed that veteran posters always had the same few bits of advice, but It's cool seeing the basics broken down very simply like this.

It's funny to me now, but I nearly had myself convinced that I must have a medical condition preventing me from losing weight. :D Just like every other snowflake...

I went through the exact same thing when I first started here. It's good to get feedback from someone else who could have used something like this in the beginning!
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Excellent chart. I think this should pop up every day as you are logging into MFP for your first few weeks. Like hearts77 I found the info I needed on the forums where the poor regulars are repeating themselves every five minutes to noobs, but it still took me longer than it should have. I made no progress for the first two weeks because I thought I could guess portions and only bought a digital scale in my second week.

I would have said "digital scale" specifically in the chart, if I was to suggest any changes, but otherwise it looks super.
  • lemonlionheart
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    It looks good, but you also should add the condition of people under eating. This can also prevent weight loss. This condition should be placed as the red circle.

Maybe I should add that 'starvation mode' doesn't exist.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    excellent chart :smile:
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It looks good, but you also should add the condition of people under eating. This can also prevent weight loss. This condition should be placed as the red circle.

Maybe I should add that 'starvation mode' doesn't exist.

+1

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    This could eliminate the need for 75%of the threads
  • lemonlionheart
    Options
    Some minor edits:

09xr36z7t8rd.jpg

- specified the use of a digital scale
    - made it clearer that weighing/logging accurately means using a scale for everything
    - bolded some important points

Unfortunately the free flow chart maker I downloaded isn't great, so it was tricky getting the text to look right in the boxes. If there are any designerly people out there who have the skills to make a prettier version, you are welcome to take a crack at it!

Meanwhile, if folks want to save this image and start trialing it in the forums to see if it's useful to anyone, go ahead :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Nice
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile, if folks want to save this image and start trialing it in the forums to see if it's useful to anyone, go ahead :)

Saved; uploaded to Photobucket; ready to go!

Thanks, and again, well done!
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Just a heads up: in the medication bubble, you spelled "medication" "meTication" once.
  • lemonlionheart
    Options
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »
    Excellent! Just a heads up: in the medication bubble, you spelled "medication" "meTication" once.

Oh no! haha, thanks :)
  • lemonlionheart
    Options

Fixed:
    a37btb7mxb3t.jpg
    wl5.jpg 245.9K
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I can't see the chart, just the image name. Any ideas why?

55835802.png
  • PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • bloody88
    bloody88 Posts: 120 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You should add the not verified food entries on MFP. Many of them are wrong and people continue to use them.
  • PeanutbutterBang
    PeanutbutterBang Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Nice job! Reads really well. All the points are concise yet perfectly informative. Thanks OP!
  • PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options

Fixed:
    a37btb7mxb3t.jpg

Working out 2hrs a day, at 1200 calories a day(eating) no weight loss. WHere is that in the chart??

"It might be worth paying a visit to your doctor"

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Fixed:
    a37btb7mxb3t.jpg

Working out 2hrs a day, at 1200 calories a day(eating) no weight loss. WHere is that in the chart??

It was actually the very first question. It had only been one week.