Weight loss flow chart... 2.0!

Options

Replies

• lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    I can't see the chart, just the image name. Any ideas why?

55835802.png

Not sure, sorry! It might be your browser. Seems to be working fine for everyone else :)
  • lemonlionheart
    Options
    bloody88 wrote: »
    You should add the not verified food entries on MFP. Many of them are wrong and people continue to use them.

Good point! Hmm, I'm wary of adding more though because it's already so wordy. I do recommend that the poster open their food diary though, so hopefully that would be a case where people can investigate a bit further and give some more specific advice.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    bloody88 wrote: »
    You should add the not verified food entries on MFP. Many of them are wrong and people continue to use them.

Good point! Hmm, I'm wary of adding more though because it's already so wordy. I do recommend that the poster open their food diary though, so hopefully that would be a case where people can investigate a bit further and give some more specific advice.

I agree. I think it is great. There is unfortunately no way you can fit everything on here, at least in my opinion.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I love this flow chart. <3
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this! I'm sure that it will save a lot of time and frustration for both the people needing help and the people trying to help.

05-BILL-MURRAY-CLAPPING.gif
  • lemonlionheart
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »
    Excellent! Just a heads up: in the medication bubble, you spelled "medication" "meTication" once.

Fixed:
    a37btb7mxb3t.jpg

Working out 2hrs a day, at 1200 calories a day(eating) no weight loss. WHere is that in the chart??

It was actually the very first question. It had only been one week.
    I am talking about months, not a weeks. It's a common issue.

If someone is truly eating 1200 calories, working out 2 hours a day and somehow failing to lose ANY weight over two months, I'd go less with 'common issue' and more towards 'medical mystery'. Seriously, they should do scientific experiments on these oddballs, figure out if they can somehow extract this superpower and give it to starving kids in Africa so they can net 100 calories a day and not lose any body fat.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    based on the derp level around here, I think most will not even understand your flow chart :)

Sadly, this is probably true. If they were smart enough to understand it, they'd be smart enough to actually read some threads before asking their question.

...or figure out how to use the Search function. ;)

I LOVE the chart, lemon! <3

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Needs "Have you opened your diary for others to check?" in there somewhere...from what I've seen on MFP, a huge number of people say they're logging "right" yet have diaries loaded with dubious entries.

• lemonlionheart
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Needs "Have you opened your diary for others to check?" in there somewhere...from what I've seen on MFP, a huge number of people say they're logging "right" yet have diaries loaded with dubious entries.

I put it in the red circle :)

• Mr_Knight
    Options

I put it in the red circle :)

:drinker:

Good stuff...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Just a heads up: in the medication bubble, you spelled "medication" "meTication" once.

Fixed:
    a37btb7mxb3t.jpg

Working out 2hrs a day, at 1200 calories a day(eating) no weight loss. WHere is that in the chart??

You'd have to answer the ensuing questions, as the flow chart progresses, then.
  • lemonlionheart
    Options

Fixed:
    a37btb7mxb3t.jpg

If someone is truly eating 1200 calories, working out 2 hours a day and somehow failing to lose ANY weight over two months, I'd go less with 'common issue' and more towards 'medical mystery'. Seriously, they should do scientific experiments on these oddballs, figure out if they can somehow extract this superpower and give it to starving kids in Africa so they can net 100 calories a day and not lose any body fat.

It's very common, do a search on forums for 1200 calories a day and not losing weight. The results are cause of excess stress, too much exercise, too little food. etc.. It has happened to me as well as many others. A 300lbs man(at one point me) eating 1,300 calories a day and not losing weight, makes no sense. I know. I categorize weight loss in to 3 categories

1. Moderate calorie deficit(weight loss)
    2. Extreme calorie deficit(stall out)
    3. Starvation(weight loss muscle and fat)

There was a good post with a ton of references of this issue, it was by taso42, he has been gone a long time, maybe one of the veterans has the link, they know the one i am talking about, the 1200 calorie diet with no weight loss.

Yep, there are a lot of '1200 calories and no weight loss' threads. I posted in one just yesterday. 95% of the time it turns out to be logging errors.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I think the chart is excellent as it is.
  • lemonlionheart
    edited June 2015
    Options

Fixed:
    a37btb7mxb3t.jpg

It's very common, do a search on forums for 1200 calories a day and not losing weight. The results are cause of excess stress, too much exercise, too little food. etc.. It has happened to me as well as many others. A 300lbs man(at one point me) eating 1,300 calories a day and not losing weight, makes no sense. I know. I categorize weight loss in to 3 categories

1. Moderate calorie deficit(weight loss)
    2. Extreme calorie deficit(stall out)
    3. Starvation(weight loss muscle and fat)

There was a good post with a ton of references of this issue, it was by taso42, he has been gone a long time, maybe one of the veterans has the link, they know the one i am talking about, the 1200 calorie diet with no weight loss.

Yep, there are a lot of '1200 calories and no weight loss' threads. I posted in one just yesterday. 95% of the time it turns out to be logging errors.

Ashley Swoboda fitness competitor/model was doing cardio 2hrs a day(7days a week).

"During my contest prep last year, I was the epitome of a treadmill slave. I thought all the work would be worth it; I was sure it was helping prepare my best physique for the stage."

"My stomach growled 24/7. I had a hard time sleeping and woke several times throughout the night. I usually resorted to taking Advil PM to fall asleep. I had severe mood swings, was depressed, and had no energy. I felt like walking death. The smallest things brought me to tears or anger."

Thiago Alves gains roughly 30lbs in 3hrs...
    http://www.mmamania.com/2012/3/2/2839067/ufc-fx-2-weigh-in-results-thiago-alves-gains-30-pounds-three-hours-dolce-diet
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beat-metabolic-damage-get-ripped-with-hiit.html

And I said as my case as well, as well as many others. In my case, at 300lbs my metabolism is sluggish my metabolic rate was around 3000 calories. I was eating around 1,200 calories a day. I was logging highly accurately. With a calorie deficit of 1800 calories, I dropped 10lbs in a few days, but after that weight didn't budge at all. I keep at it for 5 weeks, starving, i said it's not worth it. had 2 refeed days in a row gained back those 10lbs...

What would you tell all of us? We're "logging inaccurately?" I had no medical issues. I lost 90lbs after that point with a less aggressive calorie deficit. Ahsley(first person i quoted) got her weight loss going again by increasing her caloric intake... This wasn't "inaccurate" logging. If she was off by lets say 20% a day. She would still by off by 20% a day if she increased her calories.

Let me clarify something, I don't believe in "metabolic damage" it's more complicated than that. It's a phenomenon called dieters edema. Lyle explains it well...

"First and foremost, I have myself written about how the odd combination of very low calories and excessive cardio can, in some people, cause problems. Some of it is metabolic which I’ll come back to. But most of it is simply due to one thing: water retention. It’s a little known fact that cortisol has cross-reactivity with the aldosterone receptor (aldosterone is the primary hormone for retaining water). But while cortisol only has about 1/100th the affinity for the receptor, there can be about 10,000 times as much. We know that cortisol causes water retention (Cushing’s patients who are often on high-dose cortisone have this problem).

Now, dieting raises cortisol.
    Cardio raises cortisol.
    Mental stress raises cortisol.

So combine your typical headcase female dieter (who is already mentally stressing themselves out), add a massive caloric restriction, add tons of cardio. And cortisol goes through the roof. And this is worse in some personality types. You can always tell them on Internet forums, they type in all caps with lots of !!! (Subject line: NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT NOW!!!). You can sense the stress in their life in how they write. And what these people do other than mentally stressing themselves out is further physically stress themselves out. And when weight loss stops, they stress harder, cut calories harder, do more cardio. And make it worse."
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html/

so once again it's not always about "being more accurate"

ETA: So what I would suggest is possibly a section that addresses the issue of people who are doing low calorie diets with a lot of exercise. Solution, slowly increase their calories.

Dude, did you actually read the whole article?

"I think what’s really going on is you have a bunch of neurotic crazed female dieters, who are misreporting their food intake (especially the crazy food binges we KNOW happen in this population) and who are holding onto massive amounts of water due to the combination of low calories, high-cardio and being batshit stressed mentally about the whole process. And who magically start losing fat again when their poorly controlled 1200 calories becomes a well-controlled 1250 calories, well….you’ll have to call me incredulous about the whole thing.

Because the science doesn’t support it in any way shape or form. No study in humans in 50 years has ever shown the claimed phenomenon. I mean not ever. Not a single study showing truly stopped fat loss in the face of a controlled deficit much less fat regain. And with plenty of other mechanisms (like water retention) to explain the “apparent” lack of fat loss that make more logical sense (Occam’s razor for the win).

And that’s my take on the issue. Now it’s time for a nap."
  • Mr_Knight
    edited June 2015
    Options
    TL;DR version...

JpvbXn4.png
  • lemonlionheart
    Options
    TL;DR version...

JpvbXn4.png

Nice!
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    TL;DR version...

JpvbXn4.png

Nice!

Yours is awesome, mine is derivative. But I know MFP....explanations longer than 4 words often get...."lost".... :smiley:

:drinker: