What's everyone take for supplements? Vitamins, Pre-workout, Recovery, Protein?

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Everyday use:

-Controlled Labs Orange Triad Multi, 5-6 tablets
    -Controlled Labs Oximega Fish Oil, 3 gelcaps
    -NOW Vitamin D3, 5000 IU
    -Puritan's Pride Albion Chelated Magnesium, 300-400 mg
    -SNS Micronized Creatine Monohydrate, 5 g
    -Psyllium Husks for Fiber, 1 heaped tbsp.

Taken as needed:

-Controlled Labs White Flood Reborn
    -iForce Hemavol
    -iForce Agmatine Sulfate
    -iForce Potassium Nitrate
    -BPI Whey HD Banana Marshmallow Pie
    -Citrulline Malate
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Must all protein powders taste terrible? I have tried mixing with water, almond milk, regular milk and still tastes bad. Any recommendations on a protein powder. I am tired of wasting all my money on junk.

When I got back into lifting I dug out some protein powder from 20 years ago (still fine) and remember how chalky and horrible it tasted. I got a few samples of Quest vanilla and love it. If the taste still bothers you add some fruit and flavoring as needed.

I'm heavily biased working in pharma, but note that most supplements are not FDA regulated (considering the lack of potential harm to individuals), but many pharma companies operate a "nutritional" side of the company, which utilizes many of the same structured and regulated environments, so they still go through a good deal of testing prior to release - despite lack of regulation.
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    wow I wouldn't have tried protein that was 20 years old, that is a bold move! lol But yet I have recently tried Quest and I am very happy. Best protein I have ever tried.
  • healthnut050
    healthnut050 Posts: 26 Member
    Has anyone tried the muscle pharm cookies and cream protein, is it too sweet? I would like something that I can mix in with my recovery, but not sure how that one would taste.
  • vgrezzy
    vgrezzy Posts: 31 Member
    just iron because of doctor recommendation for me personally. i think if you eat a good amount of natural foods- fruits and vegetables particularly, you shouldn't need many, if any, supplements. if you're trying to gain a ton of muscle mass- maybe add some protein or creatine, but it can still be done without
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I take nothing. Seriously, I'd go broke if I took as many supplements as some of y'all do.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Iron supplementation by doctor's orders, Biotin, Vitamin D in the winter.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    I take nothing. Seriously, I'd go broke if I took as many supplements as some of y'all do.

Buying this stuff has left me short on cash on more than one occasion.. :disappointed:

• skiclimbdive
    skiclimbdive Posts: 32 Member
    Lofteren wrote: »
    I'm on this stuff called food...

+1. And good news! No need to waste money even on a multivitamin (barring actual nutritional deficiency). To quote the editors of the Annals of Internal Medicine,

"Although available evidence does not rule out small benefits or harms or large benefits or harms in a small subgroup of the population, we believe that the case is closed— supplementing the diet of well-nourished adults with (most) mineral or vitamin supplements has no clear benefit and might even be harmful. These vitamins should not be used for chronic disease prevention. Enough is enough."

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1789253
    https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/more-evidence-that-routine-multivitamin-use-should-be-avoided/
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    To quote the editors of the Annals of Internal Medicine,

"Although available evidence does not rule out small benefits or harms or large benefits or harms in a small subgroup of the population, we believe that the case is closed— supplementing the diet of well-nourished adults with (most) mineral or vitamin supplements has no clear benefit and might even be harmful. These vitamins should not be used for chronic disease prevention. Enough is enough."

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1789253
    https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/more-evidence-that-routine-multivitamin-use-should-be-avoided/

The bolded part of that statement is completely false (barring multivitamin abuse by a consumer). A quality, well-sourced multivitamin with adequate vitamins & minerals can help to cover gaps in nutrition.

There can be issues with dosage in some cases. For instance, I make sure to watch my intake (in supplement form) of Vit A, E, Folic Acid, Selenium, etc. which can be harmful if you take too much.

http://www.aor.ca/assets/Research/pdf/fall_2005_article1.pdf
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Morning:
    Multi-vitamin
    Glucosmine, condroitin, MSM
    Fish oil

Pre-workout:
    Creatine
    Taurine
    Beta Alanine
    Citrulline malate
    Acetyl L-carnitine

Intra-workout:
    BCAAs

Post workout (added to protein):
    Creatine
    L-glutamine
    Beta alanine
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Quadralean. It works great for me.
  • laurekadrid
    laurekadrid Posts: 5 Member
    I go to Complete Nutrition for my supplements, and they only give me what I need/what I can afford. I don't know what I'd do without them! I'm only on 4-5 supplements, which all have vitamin benefits as well as weight loss and energy assistance (I honestly have lost 20lbs with complete nutrition)!
  • mandykent111
    You really don't NEED anything.

If I were to reccommend you anything, it would be'

-Multivitamin
    -green tea pills (doctor recommended to me after I had mono, I never get sick anymore)
    -Fish oil
    -Pre-workout with creatine in it, such as Citadel Nutrition Tier 1

Anything else is not needed unless under instruction of a doctor. You really don't even need what I listed, but, it helps.

My brother ruptured his achilles last year. Hi orthopod blamed it on on his creatine use. He later got diagnosed with CKD as well, guess what - they blamed it on creatine use as well!

I've gotten hooked on working out in the last year. It started with losing 25 pounds with the help of Liporidex MAX which I learned about here. I followed one of their diet/exercise plans and got bit by the workout bug. A little update to my regimen, I've added fish oil, Vit D, Astaxanthin, Vit C and brewers yeast (during flu season).

One thing is for certain, we all respond to things differently. I'm going to try GT in addition to Vit C. and brewers yeast for cold prevention/abatement of symptoms.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member

-Multivitamin
    -green tea pills (doctor recommended to me after I had mono, I never get sick anymore)
    -Fish oil

Anything else is not needed unless under instruction of a doctor. You really don't even need what I listed, but, it helps.

My brother ruptured his achilles last year. Hi orthopod blamed it on on his creatine use. He later got diagnosed with CKD as well, guess what - they blamed it on creatine use as well!

I've gotten hooked on working out in the last year. It started with losing 25 pounds with the help of Liporidex MAX which I learned about here. I followed one of their diet/exercise plans and got bit by the workout bug. A little update to my regimen, I've added fish oil, Vit D, Astaxanthin, Vit C and brewers yeast (during flu season).

One thing is for certain, we all respond to things differently. I'm going to try GT in addition to Vit C. and brewers yeast for cold prevention/abatement of symptoms.
    Zombie resurrection thread. But if you just did the diet plan alone, you probably would have lost the 25lbs without Liporidex. Supplements seem to create a good placebo effect on many, especially those who need to believe that it's the supplements and not their actions that are cause of their weight loss/health increase.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• mandykent111
    ninerbuff wrote: »

-Multivitamin
    -Fish oil

Zombie resurrection thread. But if you just did the diet plan alone, you probably would have lost the 25lbs without Liporidex. Supplements seem to create a good placebo effect on many, especially those who need to believe that it's the supplements and not their actions that are cause of their weight loss/health increase.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Perhaps. However, I've tried to lose weight many times before, and have been unable to keep it off. I think a big part of it is that I'm exercising regularly now. Fitness has become a part of my lifestyle now. :smiley: I'm grateful to have many friends to exercise with. We motivate and inspire each other daily. Again, you may say its just placebo, but when I use their PRE/T preworkout, I'm able to have a much better workout than without. It's not just caffeine either - I stopped drinking caffeine actually after starting using my favorite supplements. I would get neck spasms, headaches and blepharospasms when I drank caffeine (even though I needed the energy). On 2 caps of MAX or 1.5 scoops of PRE, I juts have energy and focus and a desire to complete my sets. Maybe its in my head, but when I used C4, I just had itchy skin. I even tried one of the fitmiss PREs and felt nothing beyond a bit of caffeine bump.

I agree there's a lot of BS in the fitness world, but I'm happy I found something that works for me. On a side note, I'm surprised that you say that supplements dont work - maybe not for you, but pretty much every single person I know who has or is training to compete in NPC or even WBFF uses at least a fat burner, preworkout, BCAAs, protein and creatine. Way too much for me, but certainly they must know something? Many of them use cellucor products. Maybe you have as well, which is why you think supps are placebos. :wink::wink::wink:
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    I take food and sleep
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    I make sure I'm hitting my micronutrients through food but I like to take a few things here and there in small amounts as insurance.

B-Complex (I use the MegaFood brand and cut the tablets into thirds)
    Vitamin C (1-2,000mg daily)
    Vitamin E (Toco-Sorb by Jarrow Formulas)
    Zinc (10mg)
    Vitamin D3 (2,000 IU in the winter)
    Selenium (a few times a week)
    Magnesium (100-200mg topically)

Sometimes I'll take a cycle of funky stuff like Pycnogenol, Astaxanthin, Borage Oil, Ubiquinol.
  • chromilo
    chromilo Posts: 33 Member
    Cardio multivitamins, Omega-3, vitamin C (not regularly), and Vega 20g chocolate protein shake.
  • lpastuck
    lpastuck Posts: 1 Member
    Onnit supplements are great. Check them out. Pretty pricey but they have everything you need and you can get them sent out in daily vitamin packs along with the rest of the supplements you require