Unexpected results of weight loss

Options

Replies

• MargueriteMuguet
    MargueriteMuguet Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    @rayw89 thanks for that!
    @Alidecker , yes I was also working for fitness goals, all sorts of goals actually when losing. But somehow, once my priority was achieved (because it was losing the weight for such a long time) I felt like those fitness goals meant something else.

Well anyways, thanks for making my point clearer in my mind and so today an unexpected result of weightloss for me is that I am more open and feel less isolated in life than I was before even to strangers on here :-)
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    @rayw89 thanks for that!
    @Alidecker , yes I was also working for fitness goals, all sorts of goals actually when losing. But somehow, once my priority was achieved (because it was losing the weight for such a long time) I felt like those fitness goals meant something else.

Well anyways, thanks for making my point clearer in my mind and so today an unexpected result of weightloss for me is that I am more open and feel less isolated in life than I was before even to strangers on here :-)

Those long-term goals are extremely important. A year and a half ago I set a goal for myself to run a 5k, and (because I am an engineer) I have a very laser-beam, goal-oriented focus (and for me, the goal must be quantitative). Of course, as I worked on running I lost weight, but running the 5k was the only goal - weight loss was a by-product. When I achieved the 5k goal, I had a huge "now what?" moment. I never figured out "now what", and ended up gaining back more weight than I had lost, and losing the running ability.

This time I'm trying to figure out those follow-on goals early, so I don't run into the same issue. (I've already far surpassed the 5k run this time . . .)
  • laurajr123
    laurajr123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What made me happiest is how when by arms just hang to my side and they aren't pushed out by rolls of fat. They just hang there nicely making nice body lines and with a space where my waist is located.
  • AngeBee18
    AngeBee18 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    FloraJL wrote: »
    AngeBee18 wrote: »
    I managed 4 on my toes the other day before I had to drop to my knees for the rest of the set. I'll be celebrating when I can do a whole set that's for sure! But I started having to do them standing against a wall, so it's all good progress!

This is inspiring to me ... I can only do them against the wall now, but the mere thought of eventually being able to do them on my toes makes me giddy!

Just stick at it and I'm sure you'll get there! We all have to start somewhere :)
  • lbtalton
    lbtalton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just noticed today that I can now roll all the way up to my desk without my belly blocking the way. I also noticed that my belly no longer sticks out further than my breasts. I am loving this journey!!!
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    went down a shoe size
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    I started working on fitness goals well before I got close to my final weight loss goal. Lately I have been having problems coming up with a fitness goal that excites me as far as cardio.

Have you considered signing up for a race/5k? I should really start making a list of "things to achieve" that are beyond weight.
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I started working on fitness goals well before I got close to my final weight loss goal. Lately I have been having problems coming up with a fitness goal that excites me as far as cardio.

Have you considered signing up for a race/5k? I should really start making a list of "things to achieve" that are beyond weight.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    lbtalton wrote: »
    I just noticed today that I can now roll all the way up to my desk without my belly blocking the way. I also noticed that my belly no longer sticks out further than my breasts. I am loving this journey!!!
    ^this! I so want this to happen to me! My belly is shrinking, but my boobs are shrinking faster!
  • SallyinIL
    SallyinIL Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Mel Robbins hits the nail on the head when she says "You're never going to feel like doing the things you want to do, or need to do to get what you want. You have to get uncomfortable and FORCE yourself to do the things you need to do. Getting what you want is simple, but not easy."
    So true!

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    rayw89 wrote: »

I had hip replacement surgery over 4 years ago, the one thing the doctor told me not to do is run. I still do occasionally, but it is more of a run/walk. My first big fitness goal was a sprint triathlon, which I have now done several. I run/walk the run portion, and found one that the run is only 2.5 miles. I have also done indoor triathlons with the run on a treadmill, which has less impact on my hip. I need something new though, without running.
  • ReignInSeattle
    ReignInSeattle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    These are all great! Some of what others posted made me realize that I also notice some of those things but just hadn't realized that it was connected to weight loss. The big ones that stick out are picking out the same pants size only to realize they're too big. I've lost two pants sizes since my lifestyle overhaul in April! The other is the thigh gap. I've NEVER had that. Some additional things...my bottom hurting when I sit on hard surfaces because the bones are accessible now lol! My boobs dropped a full cup size (not too happy with that one) and my panties sagging off my rear. Had to buy new under garments. Also fitting comfortably on a bus seat without fear of "spilling over" into my neighbor's seat. One thing I really dislike though is all the loose, saggy skin. I never thought I'd be ale to say that...But it sucks. It's not bad enough to need surgery but it doesn't look like it will ever tighten up again because there's too much of it. Does anyone have that problem and if so, what do you do about it?
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    I had more friends when I was obese. feeling lonely.

I hear ya.

I don't get this one. Why?

My skinnier prettier friends all stopped hanging out with me because I'm no longer the fat friend. My bigger friends don't want to hang out with me because I can't listen to them talk about wanting to lose weight without accidentally preaching about mfp lol

I'm glad you understand ...not sure what was so difficult...
  • silverarcheress
    silverarcheress Posts: 125 Member
    Options

I hear ya.

I used to go out on weekends with my girls and now They call and ask what are you wearing? I'm going to feel so fat if I go out with you. I cant go out with you bc you make me feel so bad about my weight.
    That was one of my best girls.

Other ppl, comment on how I'm going to blow away or attempt to not share appetizers...note I said attempt. Um we are sharing! They say nooo you know you cant eat this bc of your diet. I'm not on a diet, can I haz chicken wings plz.

You know the saying Birds of a feather flock together....well I seem to be kicked out of the group.

I wish I had fit friends who understood the lifestyle and arent envious of the hard work and dedication I've put in.

the only ppl I have is my family and even one of my sisters has said some off things to me about my body.

While this may not be your expereience, it is mine. I had a small circle of friends to begin with. it is even smaller now.

I understand how you feel though i've only just got to the point of feeling like an outsider.

I've just started making friends with a few of the gym people and we are going on a big night out in a few weeks. I still have my old group of friends but I've also struggled with their comments as I've gone from being the biggest in the group by far to one of the smaller and definitely the fittest one. I'm a bit intimidated by my new group of friends as I'm already back in the negative mindset from being the biggest of them and feeling a bit insecure. Although actually most of them regularly compliment me on my fitness during classes.

I think it's worth offering to get a drink with people at your gym if you can :smile:
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options

I hear ya.

I used to go out on weekends with my girls and now They call and ask what are you wearing? I'm going to feel so fat if I go out with you. I cant go out with you bc you make me feel so bad about my weight.
    That was one of my best girls.

Other ppl, comment on how I'm going to blow away or attempt to not share appetizers...note I said attempt. Um we are sharing! They say nooo you know you cant eat this bc of your diet. I'm not on a diet, can I haz chicken wings plz.

You know the saying Birds of a feather flock together....well I seem to be kicked out of the group.

I wish I had fit friends who understood the lifestyle and arent envious of the hard work and dedication I've put in.

the only ppl I have is my family and even one of my sisters has said some off things to me about my body.

While this may not be your expereience, it is mine. I had a small circle of friends to begin with. it is even smaller now.

I guess I see, and I'm sorry your 'friends' are making you feel that way. It hasn't been my experience at all.

Thinking about it, though, most of my friends were already pretty fit people. I've always 'attempted' to be very active, and have always been the one huffing and puffing along behind. And, because my friends are such nice people, they have usually held back for me. (Although there was that one time last year I got lost in the woods several miles from the parking lot because they had pulled ahead, then I lost the trail . . . almost had to hug a tree and spend the night there) Anyway, I now find that I can keep up with them, and am even starting to outdo some of them. Since they have spent years hanging back for me, I now have no problem hanging back for them. But it does make me smile!

I guess I am lucky that my friends have been so supportive all along - both before AND during the weight loss. I'm far from done yet, so I can't say after yet, but, knowing the caliber of my friends, I am sure they'll still be there.
  • healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I used to hate having my picture taken and would always try to be in the middle of group shots so I could hide behind someone. Even worse than the feeling when my photo was being taken was the feeling when I actually saw it and looked even bigger than I felt.

Well, now I love it! Remembering how much I used to dread it and knowing I don't need to fear how fat the photo will make me look anymore is the most incredible feeling! I've also been doing this thing lately that I refer to in my head as the "anti-skinny arm". I used to (as most women do) always do the skinny arm (for those who don't know - it's when you put your hand on your hip so your arm fat is not pressed against your body and looks thinner). Well now I relish the opportunity to just let my arm do its thing and know that it will look thin in the photo because it is thin!!!!

Such a silly little thing but it makes me so happy.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    scaryan wrote: »
    I keep thinking that I've forgotten to input foods because I think I must have eaten more than that... Is that weird? :D

This has happened to me on several occasions haha
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I just went running/swimming; it was a very warm and sunny day, so I ran/swam shirtless along the river; a lot of girls flirted/smiled at me. I have to get used to that. Anyways, I love it! :wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!