Coconut milk? Almond? Soy? Dairy?

1235»

Replies

• Elle_Bronwyn15
    Elle_Bronwyn15 Posts: 296 Member
    I've tried them all, I like cow's milk and Almond milk best, some soy is good but most is chalky..
  • governatorkp
    governatorkp Posts: 89 Member
    edited June 2015
    J72FIT wrote: »
    dairy milk is terrible- humans can't absorb the calcium and it actually proven to leak calcium from bones. better get calcium from other sources like plants etc
    Nonsense...

Actually I'm quite sure I've read something among the same lines.

Although it was about store-bought dairy.
    Due to the the diet the animals are given, there's more omega-6 than there is omega-3 in the milk.
    Organic milk also has a more favourable balance of the two fatty acids than conventional milk.

Long-term high omega-6 to omega-3 ratio has been proven to result in a higher risk of cardiovascular diseases.
    (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909)

However the leaking of calcium (and depositing it in soft tissue instead of bones) I believe occurs when there's a deficiency of Vitamin D.. So not because of milk.
    I did read about it before but don't remember the details.

I think this person read these 2 truths and got confused, but yes, their statement isn't correct.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Who needs milk when there is a bunch of calcium in sardines and dark leafy greens...
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Who needs milk when there is a bunch of calcium in sardines and dark leafy greens...

well, you can just go to kale...I prefer milk.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    cnekniher wrote: »
    Whats the scoop? What's the best and worst? What should I choose?

It depends on what you mean by "best" and "worst"..judging by overall calories? Texture? Flavor? Nutritional content balance? Fat? etc etc.

I'll say that we were not big fans of soy milk tastewise (even if flavored with vanilla) but have enjoyed coconut milk and almond milk.

Lately we've been stuck on cashew milk...quite creamy (my wife has lactose-issues and says the Cashew milk "ice cream" is as close as she's gotten to the real thing so far)..use plain for cooking and vanilla or chocolate for drinking.
  • VeggieStef
    VeggieStef Posts: 54 Member
    Silk Unsweetened Soy Milk is my favorite and is the most "milk like" to me. I know a lot of people that love almond milk, but it has a less creamy consistency in my opinion.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Why not sardines, dark leafy greens AND milk?
  • TheDevastator
    Milk is estrogenic.
  • santiac217
    santiac217 Posts: 6 Member
    For me, Almond milk that's what I used
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Milk is estrogenic.

I'd still rather drink cows milk than soy...

• russkiballerina
    russkiballerina Posts: 53 Member
    I'm vegan and have been for a good while. My absolute favorite is Flaxseed milk. It's very nutritious and delicious (at least I think so). Coconut milk is fatty (in a good way!) and, I think, the second best, nutrition wise. You can also cook delicious things with it. The best one to use with your coffee and milk, too, if you're into that kind of thing!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    has anyone here tried silk's "very vanilla" soy milk? Super sweet and sugary. Tastes like liquid marshmallow.
  • TheDevastator
    Milk is estrogenic.

I'd still rather drink cows milk than soy...
    Soy is very estrogenic so I try to avoid it.